pixeltracker

Great another Jukebox musical in Australia

Great another Jukebox musical in Australia

broadwayguy91
#2Great another Jukebox musical in Australia
Posted: 9/8/16 at 5:47am

iI wouldn't classify it as a "jukebox musical" per say.  the ABBA songs weren't shoehorned into the script. They are there because they are part of Muriel's character arc - the songs give her confidence and the drive/ will to break out of her shell. Plus they are actually acknowledged as ABBA songs in the script and the actors only sing the songs (or in the case of one scene, lip synch) the songs as part of a on stage musical act - it's not like she's suddenly breaking into song ala typical musical theatre.

Plus they are writing ORIGINAL music for the rest of the score.

Updated On: 9/8/16 at 05:47 AM

NZBOY2
#3Great another Jukebox musical in Australia
Posted: 9/8/16 at 5:50am

Why can't we have an Australian 'Hamilton' something that reflects our culture and diversity and the problems with it. An original musical instead of jukebox ones! I saw how a musical like 'Hamilton: An American Musical can do history whilst reflecting on modern times. Or producing something so wonderful like 'Fun Home ' Then I remember I will have to fly back to Broadway .

broadwayguy91
#4Great another Jukebox musical in Australia
Posted: 9/8/16 at 5:55am

that's probably because Australia doesn't have a strong off-Broadway / off-West End / regional theatre scene like the US and UK do. Most works on Broadway don't open "cold" on Broadway they're either developed in a smaller space / city/ town before moving on to the main stage. There is also a strong presence of non-profit theatre in both NYC / regional US and UK (either via a very devoted subscriber base or government subsidy/ funding) which Aus is lacking comparatively in. 

NZBOY2
#5Great another Jukebox musical in Australia
Posted: 9/8/16 at 6:03am

I love New Zealand and Australia as a Kiwi now living in Sydney. But when I saw Fun Home and Hamilton it just reminds me how important non for profits are to great theater.And how Public Theater is so important   to theater. Both got Tonys for best musicals. And the later will be biggest show for Broadway, Its very well written and thought out.  I personally do not see anything like that in Australia. Seeing Jane Krakowski verifies that non for profits are also very respected and supported in America . I also appreciated they did a talk about the show before hand.

ps. I also appreciated how diverse the casts were

Updated On: 9/8/16 at 06:03 AM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#6Great another Jukebox musical in Australia
Posted: 9/8/16 at 8:13am

I guess someone just has to revive Only Heaven Knows.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

StephieElise
#7Great another Jukebox musical in Australia
Posted: 9/8/16 at 8:53am

It's definitely not a jukebox musical. They actually put the project out for tender to a few composers. Eddie Perfect performed one of the songs he submitted at Twisted Broadway last year (a concert for Oz Showbiz Cares/Equity Fights AIDS like Broadway Backwards). I'm so glad Kate Miller-Heidke is involved! Her songs are amazing; I especially love her Facebook song that Audra sings at her concerts! 

broadwayguy91
#8Great another Jukebox musical in Australia
Posted: 9/8/16 at 9:02am

Thanks for the info StephieElise. I'm actually excited about how this develops, as it is one of my favorite comedy movies of all time.

justasmalltownboy13
#9Great another Jukebox musical in Australia
Posted: 9/8/16 at 9:16am

NZBOY2 said: "Why can't we have an Australian 'Hamilton' something that reflects our culture and diversity and the problems with it. An original musical instead of jukebox ones! I saw how a musical like 'Hamilton: An American Musical can do history whilst reflecting on modern times. Or producing something so wonderful like 'Fun Home ' Then I remember I will have to fly back to Broadway .

"

So like, Rabbit Proof Fence - The Musical? That'll showcase plenty of our culture.
As an actual Australian, I'm excited for this. It's definitely not a jukebox musical, being that Kate Miller-Heidke is writing music for it (unless they add in Australian Idol!) I think this movie says plenty about Australian culture. Plus, who knows if it'll be updated to be set in modern day? PJ Hogan is adapting it from his screenplay so anything's possible (though the camp of the 90's should be kept and intensified)

Younger Brother Profile Photo
Younger Brother
#10Great another Jukebox musical in Australia
Posted: 9/8/16 at 10:04am

"Plus, who knows if it'll be updated to be set in modern day? PJ Hogan is adapting it from his screenplay so anything's possible (though the camp of the 90's should be kept and intensified)

It seems it will be updated as the synopsis mentions twitter. I too wish it kept the campiness of the 90s

In Muriel’s Wedding The Musical, Muriel Heslop is back! And this time she’s singing. Stuck in a dead-end life in Porpoise Spit, Muriel dreams of the perfect wedding – the white dress, the church, the attention. Unfortunately, there’s one thing missing. A groom. Following her dreams to Sydney, Muriel ends up with everything she ever wanted – a man, a fortune and a million Twitter followers. That’s when things start to go really wrong.”

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#11Great another Jukebox musical in Australia
Posted: 9/8/16 at 10:08am

NZBOY2,

Im guessing your not old enough to remember Seven Little Australians The Musical, Manny Clarkes History of Australia ( one of the worst shows ever, but that might have been that it opened during a heat wave in Melbourne and The Princess Theatre had no air con back than ) Jon English starrer "Rasputin" at the State Theatre Sydney.

As for production values and actors / actress not being as good as there Broadway counterparts, The Australian production of Nine was a singular thrilling night, The AIDS benfit concert of Follies at the Victorian Arts Centre was magical, let's talk about Warlow in Phantom, Nacey Hayes in Sweeney Todd, Jill Perryman in Hello Dolly, The Orginal Sydney cast of Les Mis and Caroline O'conor in West Side Story and Chicago, The Australian production of Matilda, The work that the production company has done over the years ( not all great I should add )  I good go on and on ...

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#12Great another Jukebox musical in Australia
Posted: 9/8/16 at 10:22am

What about Bran Nue Dae? I only saw the movie (while on vacation in Melbourne) and enjoyed it a lot, but how was the stage production received?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

rosscoe(au)
#13Great another Jukebox musical in Australia
Posted: 9/8/16 at 5:15pm

LizzieCurry said: "What about Bran Nue Dae? I only saw the movie (while on vacation in Melbourne) and enjoyed it a lot, but how was the stage production received?

"

The stage production was a huge hit

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

ukpuppetboy Profile Photo
ukpuppetboy
#14Great another Jukebox musical in Australia
Posted: 9/8/16 at 6:15pm

Rosscoe

I'd be interested to hear if you saw the Australian production of The Secret Garden (Walow Quast Prior) and what your opinion of that was. I have the highlights recording and quite frankly, given the amazing cast and (though not perfect) much better grasp of the accent would listen to it any day over the OBC. I couldn't agree more about Anthony Warlow's Phantom - (allegedly) Maria Björnson's favourite and (to my knowldge) the only singer confident enough in his pitch (of the original productions) to have an augmented makeup that covered both ears. He is a gift to any production. (As is Caroline O'Connor).

Updated On: 9/8/16 at 06:15 PM

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#15Great another Jukebox musical in Australia
Posted: 9/8/16 at 7:24pm

Thank you Rosscoe for reminding me of all those wonderful Australian productions[and not so] from the past and telling others what has been done on this side of the pond.

There are many of those productions that I have seen and said to friends[and strangers-will talk to anyone] that the standard of performers here are worthy of an international audience.

Let's wait and see what is done with Muriel before condemning[?}-nothing could be worse than Strictly Ballroom-THE MUSICAL [don't you hate that after every title now?].

SL..........x

Updated On: 9/11/16 at 07:24 PM

rosscoe(au)
#16Great another Jukebox musical in Australia
Posted: 9/9/16 at 11:07pm

ukpuppetboy said: "Rosscoe

I'd be interested to hear if you saw the Australian production of The Secret Garden (Walow Quast Prior) and what your opinion of that was. I have the highlights recording and quite frankly, given the amazing cast and (though not perfect) much better grasp of the accent would listen to it any day over the OBC. I couldn't agree more about Anthony Warlow's Phantom - (allegedly) Maria Björnson's favourite and (to my knowldge) the only singer confident enough in his pitch (of the original productions) to have an augmented makeup that covered both ears. He is a gift to any production. (As is Caroline O'Connor).

"

I had the pleasure of working on that production, everything about it was perfect. Watching Warlow and Quast 8 times per week doing Lily's Eyes is something I'll never forget. Ms Prior was pregnant  during the rum and had very bad morning sickness so sitting in that egg on matinee days always started with the crew holding sick bags for her and I must add she never missed a show.

The rest of the cast top notch as well, it was a beautiful production of a stunning show, that original Australian cast cant be topped in my eyes

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#17Great another Jukebox musical in Australia
Posted: 9/10/16 at 11:14pm

Sounds great!  Yay!

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian