THE ENCOUNTER Previews

After Eight
#50THE ENCOUNTER Previews
Posted: 9/22/16 at 12:46am

^

I did see the show, unfortunately. The headphone experience did absolutely nothing for me, except cause me further discomfort  in addition to the voluminous amount inflicted upon me by the show.

And how I can I state it any more clearly. I don't give a damn about the specifics of binaural audio. The show stank. That's all that matters.

Google "stink" to find out what that means.

trpguyy
#51THE ENCOUNTER Previews
Posted: 9/22/16 at 12:50am

Again, not arguing with your opinion. I got it the first time (and even acknowledged that I got it). Just pointing out that headphones are required for the sonic experience to work. Chances are your cassette tapes at home aren't binaural recordings, so nothing lost by listening on your hi-fi.

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#52THE ENCOUNTER Previews
Posted: 9/22/16 at 2:16am

I was incredibly intrigued by the marketing materials but this sounds like a bore - not one posting on here made it seem anything other than an audiobook on stage

also, how filthy do those headphones get? Encounter with Lice?

hes16
#53THE ENCOUNTER Previews
Posted: 9/22/16 at 6:53am

Haha! That's what I was thinking too...hopefully they clean the headphones.

After Eight
#54THE ENCOUNTER Previews
Posted: 9/22/16 at 7:08am

"also, how filthy do those headphones get?"

In light of  the deluge of dull verbiage filtering through them, we would have been better served with earplugs.

I would also add that the headphones are attached to the back of each seat so they act as a tether if you try to change positions while seated.  Not pleasant.

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#55THE ENCOUNTER Previews
Posted: 9/22/16 at 7:11am

Remember quadraphonic sound? The techies at The Encounter have gone all nostalgic on us and taken the concept to a new level. Too bad they aren't remixing the 70's Candide recording rather than wasting their time on this boring story in the theater. 

Saw the matinee with many comp'd and TDF audience members - it was the longest will call line I have yet to experience in the theater and it delayed the start of the show. Went to The Humans in the evening and passed The Enciunters will call line in the evening and it was even longer. Getting into the theater since the advent of queues has been made worse by heightened security checks - something should be done to rethink or restaff how we get into the theater in this new reality.

Oh the play! Trying to avoid that conversation. Well it really isn't a play - it's a performance piece that belongs elsewhere and I don't see this getting a crowd that actually will want to pay for it. Even those who did not pay for it greeted it with tepid applause at what had to be the worse ending of a - whatever this is -  monologue, radio play, book on tape, - whatever you would use to describe it - what happens on stage is the least interesting aspect of the event. 

I must confess too to dozing off and having to fight to stay awake several times. The proceedings are very dark from a narrative and lighting design perspective and vocal interpretation perspective. Since the concept has the actor in your ears and he is essentially talking to himself and having internal voices speaking to him the performer on stage can essentially whisper and speak very low lulling you to sleep. The fact that you wear old fashioned cheap head sets also cuts you off from your fellow theater goers noises and reactions so you are essentially in a sound chamber ready for hypnosis. Now that would have been interesting - hypnotize an entire audience. Did I mention my ears got hot and uncomfortable 20 minutes in?

What about the play? Meh.

Up In One

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#56THE ENCOUNTER Previews
Posted: 9/22/16 at 7:13am

So here is what confuses me. When this show played in London (and it's the exact same play) it received across the board raves from every paper in Britain that reviewed it. I don't mean positive reviews, I mean raves (and that includes one from Brantley in the NYT who reviewed it as well. So why was it so well received in London (and it sold out every single seat during its run) but is getting trashed by so many here? Are the audiences so different?  Or is this going to be one of those plays that the critics love but audiences hate?

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#57THE ENCOUNTER Previews
Posted: 9/22/16 at 7:18am

I am so excited for this!

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#58THE ENCOUNTER Previews
Posted: 9/22/16 at 7:24am

VernonGersch said: "I was incredibly intrigued by the marketing materials but this sounds like a bore - not one posting on here made it seem anything other than an audiobook on stage

also, how filthy do those headphones get? Encounter with Lice?

Thought about that too. Do they swap out the foam rubber liners after every performance? 3D glasses are recycled and sanitized after ever showing. The board of health should look at this. 

Up In One

RaisedOnMusicals
#59THE ENCOUNTER Previews
Posted: 9/22/16 at 8:11am

There was a post either here or on another board about the headphone issue a few months ago. It indicated that they are thoroughly cleaned after each performance. 

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#60THE ENCOUNTER Previews
Posted: 9/22/16 at 8:12am

RaisedOnMusicals said: "So here is what confuses me. When this show played in London (and it's the exact same play) it received across the board raves from every paper in Britain that reviewed it. I don't mean positive reviews, I mean raves (and that includes one from Brantley in the NYT who reviewed it as well. So why was it so well received in London (and it sold out every single seat during its run) but is getting trashed by so many here? Are the audiences so different?  Or is this going to be one of those plays that the critics love but audiences hate?

"

Enron got rave reviews and did well over in London in and bombed here. 

I try to see every play and musical that opens on Broadway but since this falls into neither category I'll probably justify it as a special event and skip it since these reviews sound horrid. 

NotTheComfyChair Profile Photo
NotTheComfyChair
#61THE ENCOUNTER Previews
Posted: 9/22/16 at 4:37pm

I'll put my head above the parapet and say that I enjoyed The Encounter. I do appreciate that I will be in the minority, at least on this board, and of course I understand that we all have the right to our opinions and to the things we like or dislike.

I liked the concept, thought the performance was wonderful, and it was a interesting change to have a show stimulate my imagination (predominantly) aurally rather than by the spectacle or "clever" word play we have become used to.

nolanativeny
#62THE ENCOUNTER Previews
Posted: 9/22/16 at 10:37pm

I found it at times engrossing, maddening, thought provoking, visceral, boring, mind numbing (both in positive and negative ways), overwhelming (both in positive and negative ways), poignant, and explosive. 

I don't know if I thought it was good or bad. It definitely made an impression. I found myself somewhat in shock waking back to Penn station. I really want to know what audiobooks people are listening to if they call this an audiobook. Although at times I did find my mind wandering during more descriptive passages. I'm glad I already had a ticket before I read negative reactions, as I wouldn't have gone otherwise, and I'm glad I experienced this. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#63THE ENCOUNTER Previews
Posted: 9/22/16 at 11:00pm

I went tonight and really enjoyed it. I was engrossed. Simon has such a way or enveloping you into what he's saying and believing, and it's great. The theater sort of melts away and you're left in your own little bubble of thought. The story was at times engrossing and interesting, and at times very meta and allowing your mind to wander. His performance is incredible! The sound design is gorgeous and flawless. I don't know who said the show didn't have projections, but they were stunning. I loved when the wall turns green and starts to slowly sway in the wind. It's a total mind f**k because you know nothing is really moving. Much like this show. You know their aren't crickets behind you, someone talking behind you, or an actual door opening, but your mind believes it. 

I would say it's much more than an audiobook because, for one, you're watching/listening to him create it. You see him pressing the looping button and looping his vocals, you see him create the sounds, you see him switching back and forth from character to character. And to me, as an artist/actor/writer, I found all that fascinating. And then to layer in the broader story about memories and stuff mixed with this really interesting stranger in a new land type sorry, I was into it. And I think your mind wanders a bit because his is. He's meandering and just stream of conscious... 

Seating note: I was in the rear Mezz - which could use some leg room - but I'd totally recommend that view. Lots of projections on the stage floor that I'd think you'd miss other wise. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#64THE ENCOUNTER Previews
Posted: 9/22/16 at 11:07pm

How about we musicalize it. Can not hurt and may help 

Poster Emeritus

neonlightsxo
#65THE ENCOUNTER Previews
Posted: 9/23/16 at 9:23am

I saw this last night and have no idea what I saw. I did spend two hours thinking about what I was going to eat when I got out of there.

jerseygurl
#66THE ENCOUNTER Previews
Posted: 9/23/16 at 9:27am

I'm 64. I was at last night's performance with my two adult sons - 31 and 29. We all thought it was terrific, engrossing, thought-provoking. An extraordinary performance by McBurney and a fantastically conceived production. Did it need the headphones? Questionable but I appreciate exploring the auditory experience in that manner. Definitely not for everyone but if you enjoy art in a theatrical setting with a first rate performer it's definitely something to experience.

PJPan
#67THE ENCOUNTER Previews
Posted: 9/23/16 at 9:46am

Saw this last night, and was really expecting to not like it based on all these responses. While not the greatest show I've ever seen, I can't say it's one of the worst.

It's too long for sure, and I think that fed into my antsiness by the end. If the show was a solid 25 minutes shorter, I don't think I would have minded at all.

RaisedOnMusicals
#68THE ENCOUNTER Previews
Posted: 9/23/16 at 10:00am

jerseygurl said: "I'm 64. I was at last night's performance with my two adult sons - 31 and 29. We all thought it was terrific, engrossing, thought-provoking. An extraordinary performance by McBurney and a fantastically conceived production. Did it need the headphones? Questionable but I appreciate exploring the auditory experience in that manner. Definitely not for everyone but if you enjoy art in a theatrical setting with a first rate performer it's definitely something to experience.

Thanks for those comments, "Little Girl".  Wink wink.

"

After Eight
#69THE ENCOUNTER Previews
Posted: 9/23/16 at 10:25am

"Thanks for those comments"

RoM,

Now you can breathe easy. You seemed very stressed out earlier. All those initial negative reactions were proven wrong.

As for the actor's performance, I found it to be as monotonous as the show.

trpguyy
#70THE ENCOUNTER Previews
Posted: 9/23/16 at 11:01am

We get it, you didn't like the show. Based on your several repetitive posts in this thread, you do seem to be the expert on monotony. 

After Eight
#71THE ENCOUNTER Previews
Posted: 9/23/16 at 11:13am

^

You seem to be quite the expert on repetitive monotony yourself.   --- while not even offering any input on the show.

Kudos.

trpguyy
#72THE ENCOUNTER Previews
Posted: 9/23/16 at 11:59am

After Eight said: "^

You seem to be quite the expert on repetitive monotony yourself.   --- while not even offering any input on the show.

Kudos.
"

Not in the form of an opinion, but rather I've stated several facts about the show that needed correcting. But I know things like that don't matter to a willfully uninformed troll such as yourself. 

After Eight
#73THE ENCOUNTER Previews
Posted: 9/23/16 at 12:08pm

^

Why deprive us of your thoughts on the show itself?

I'm sure they would be highly enlightening.

trpguyy
#74THE ENCOUNTER Previews
Posted: 9/23/16 at 12:12pm

You don't possess the ability to be enlightened.