pixeltracker

SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews- Page 4

SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews

indytallguy
#75SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 8:46am

I guess I am one of those "silly, silly" people, but there is a difference between someone expecting a full-on production that was never promised or correlating ticket prices for essentially a fundraiser with what they will see on stage and commenting on how such a visually oriented show changes in the way this concert version was staged.

I'm not sure a discussion of the artistic merits of the production is enhanced by some of the increasingly accusatory tone and the defensive responses they inevitably enhance.  And no PJ, I'm not talking about your "silly, silly" as I took that one all in good stride and as fair. smiley

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#76SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 8:59am

Still on the fence about trying to go tonight...

If I don't know the show, and don't know the music, but don't necessarily have some of the same concerns about expecting a full production for a fundraiser, and realizing that I'll have to drive basically directly from work for 2 hours to get there....

Should I do it? I've always wanted to see this show, but might be better served with a fully staged production... Hmm... thoughts?

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#77SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 9:04am

palJoey is always right. Or always up for telling someone they're wrong. 

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

PJPan
#78SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 9:10am

While I've been aware of the show (of course) for years, I'd never heard any songs besides "Sunday."

Holy hell. What a beautiful gut-punch that show is.

Jake and Annaleigh were just wonderful. Even with their books in hand, they fully developed, committed performances. They'd be wonderful in a full production.

A great way to be introduced to the material proper. I hope you all who get to see it enjoy yourselves! Well worth the money for "Move On" alone.

sng
#79SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 9:10am

I found some audio on Tumblr, while I think Jake sounded good, Annaleigh was kinda weak and weird in parts in Move On and they didnt sound coherent together at all in it. or maybe it's because the guy recorded it sat far away. 

Jake's Finishing The Hat was great though!! 

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#80SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 9:25am

Although I have no interest in attending this concert (I saw the original production six times, with different casts, and several productions since; the first original cast is still by far the benchmark for me, and no subsequent production has come close to that one [for me]); I do have this to say about "concert productions:"

You'll see these, and to many it's immediately obvious who did their homework as soon as they got the offer. These are the people who hired a coach, or just had the help of friends, to dig in and explore the dialogue and music, make specific choices, and memorize the piece. And there are those who just showed up at rehearsal, expecting to be taught what to do.

There will always be a difference of opinion on nose in the book performances; some people enjoy them; personally, I think if you don't really know the material, you're flying half-blind. That can be interesting, in a hit-or-miss way, but to me it just can't compare to what comes from someone who has done the work - whether that work was done in guided rehearsal or independently.

What's odd about this particular case is some viewers here report nose in the book performances, while others report fully fleshed out ones. I wonder what's really happening?

PJPan
#81SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 9:33am

newintown said: "What's odd about this particular case is some viewers here report nose in the book performances, while others report fully fleshed out ones. I wonder what's really happening?"

For me, while yes Jake and Annaleigh were on book for much of the show, it didn't take away what they gave to the performances. Annaleigh seemed to be offbook for her songs and on for her dialogue, while Jake used the book to help with some of the more rapid-fire songs.

As long as it doesn't detract from the performance, I never mind the book. Sometimes you can tell that the performer didn't have enough time to learn and wish they did have one.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#82SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 9:51am

haterobics said: "Still on the fence about trying to go tonight...

If I don't know the show, and don't know the music, but don't necessarily have some of the same concerns about expecting a full production for a fundraiser, and realizing that I'll have to drive basically directly from work for 2 hours to get there....

Should I do it? I've always wanted to see this show, but might be better served with a fully staged production... Hmm... thoughts?
"

I, personally, would not recommend this to someone who was not familiar with the show. But that's just me- there are obviously people in this thread who went in knowing very little and enjoyed it.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#83SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 10:15am

I certainly have no intent to be mean or rude, so I apologize if thats how my message came across. But yes, I do get frustrated by some of the posts on the board that seem to come from pie in the sky fantasy concepts of how Broadway and the business of theatre is.  And yes, even a "Gala" is the business of art. I understand the well meaning sentiment when someone, for example says there are 12 people they can think of who could play these roles better. But for every performer on Broadway / in the movies / in a Gala there are 12 people out there more talented, more deserving, etc.  That's showbiz.

To address a couple of the other questions in the thread. I agree with Kad, this isn't likely the best format to experience the piece if you aren't familiar with it. 

Both Annaleigh and Jake seemed (understandably) a little tentative of the tempo shifts (the conductor was behind them) for "Move On" but they sounded glorious.  Some of those kinds of issues are going to resolve themselves with each subsequent performance.  They'd probably only sung through the score once with an orchestra before last night.

And as I mentioned earlier, that is also my theory on the 'book in hand" discussion. There is no doubt that for example Jake Gyllenhaal was  incredibly well prepared, but given how quickly this was put together - how little time they'd likely had with an orchestra and how insanely complicated the music is - and the entrances to the music are -- I think they clung to books for security.  "Putting it Together" has to be the most terrifying patter song since "Trouble in River City"

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”
Updated On: 10/25/16 at 10:15 AM

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#84SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 10:46am

"...given how quickly this was put together - how little time they'd likely had with an orchestra and how insanely complicated the music is - and the entrances to the music are..."

I always marvel at this myth that Sondheim scores are "complicated" or "almost impossible to learn." Granted, I'm a musician, but I've worked with many actors with little musical experience, totally unable to read music, who have easily learned pieces that others would call "complex." Into The Woods is really trickier, and I've heard children master it. I've seen singing actors master the opening number to Company in one session.

The key, of course, is to not tell the actor that the music is difficult. And the fact that there are several recordings of this particular score available to assist learning really does remove any excuse for anyone performing this score professionally (who has known for months that they were going to do so) for not being totally comfortable with it (and off book).

""Putting it Together" has to be the most terrifying patter song since "Trouble in River City"."

I don't think I'd call "Putting It Together" a patter song - it doesn't have lightning fast strings of words. It might have a good number of lyrics, but that's a different thing. A Sondheim patter song is the Witch's first number in "Into The Woods," or "Getting Married Today."

Updated On: 10/25/16 at 10:46 AM

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#85SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 10:53am

Newintown-- I don't think the songs are necessarily difficult to learn musically, but calibrating musical entrances and exits with the full orchestrations of a Sondheim show, I would argue are difficult. Especially those duets in Sunday.  Especially when the orchestra and conductor are behind you.

And maybe patter song isn't the right description but there is no doubt the lyric play in "Putting it Together" is fast, wordy and complicated. There were also a slew of lyrics in that song last night that I didn't recognize. They may have been added for later revivals but they weren't on the original recording.

Updated On: 10/25/16 at 10:53 AM

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#86SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 11:10am

I hear you, Alice, but I suppose I'll never really accept that excuse "it's hard material," particularly when applied to celebrities/professionals who are performing in a piece with a high price tag for the audience. For amateurs or kids, yes; for pros, no.

That's a part of why most people pay to attend this sort of thing - to see artists at the top of their craft doing difficult things exceptionally well.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#87SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 11:13am

Kad said: "I, personally, would not recommend this to someone who was not familiar with the show. But that's just me- there are obviously people in this thread who went in knowing very little and enjoyed it."

Someone else I also respect said the same thing, so I think I'll just save my $$$.

That said, someone on StubHub seems to be selling the entire front row for $168/seat for tonight.

wicked4l
#88SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 11:14am

haterobics said: "Still on the fence about trying to go tonight...

"

Other than knowing the title song, I knew nothing about the show and absolutely LOVED it! Go!

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#89SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 11:21am

Okay newintown, I understand your point as well.  But I guess my point is that you can be endlessly prepared  and off book and yet still only have one or two run throughs with an orchestra which is a huge daunting variable that changes things immeasurably.    But in this instance the debate is silly because the worst I could describe Gyllenhaal and Ashford last night was occasionally "tentative" on entrances and cut offs -- and only during the more complicated orchestral underscoring of the music. I doubt there will be the same issue tonight. 

Updated On: 10/25/16 at 11:21 AM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#90SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 11:51am

Here we go. A MAJOR rave from Brantley. Big love letter to Jake. Congrats to all in involved. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/26/theater/review-jake-gyllenhaal-shines-in-a-joyous-sunday-in-the-park-with-george.html

He even compliments the direction

"But in terms of conveying this work’s view of art as both a coolly isolating and warmly embracing experience, I’ve never seen a more convincing interpretation. Directed by Sarna Lapine (Mr. Lapine’s niece) and featuring a prismatic onstage orchestra led by Chris Fenwick, this “Sunday” benefits from the stripped-down concert approach to let us see plain, the naked elements that come together in making art’s magic."

Updated On: 10/25/16 at 11:51 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#91SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 11:58am

I think I've listened to Jake sing "Lesson #8" 100 times already. I'm sad there won't be an official recording of this. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#92SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 12:01pm

To Mr. Brantley's quote, I guess I would say that the "benefit" of a stripped down concert is likely only for those intensely familiar with the work already (as I would wager Brantley is).  But congrats to Gyllenhaal and Ashford. Yes, I suppose with a review like that we have to assume some kind of eventual full production starring these two down the road will at least be discussed.

Jordan Catalano
#93SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 12:05pm

And I would like to take a moment to praise Phylicia Rashad, (I was very critical of when the casting was announced, because I usually find her to be too mannered) who was just radiant and beautiful in the role. I was so impressed with her and the performance she gave.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#94SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 12:07pm

Agreed about Rashad. She was stunning.

Jordan Catalano
#95SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 12:12pm

I think "Beautiful" is the best song in the show and, for me, the best song Sondheim has ever written. It's a song that has meant much more to me the older I've gotten and it was just so spectacular last night. There's an immediacy when she begs him "Quick, draw it all!" that, when done right, is absolutely devastating. The same when George says "Look. Look!" and it was perfect last night. 

Updated On: 10/25/16 at 12:12 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#96SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 12:16pm

QueenAlice said: "To Mr. Brantley's quote, I guess I would say that the "benefit" of a stripped down concert is likely only for those intensely familiar with the work already (as I would wager Brantley is).  But congrats to Gyllenhaal and Ashford. Yes, I suppose with a review like that we have to assume some kind of eventual full production starring these two down the road will at least be discussed."

I agree. It will at least be discussed. I'm sure many commercial producers will be taking a major look at this benefit. Also, I don't believe it was by accident that they employed three major Tony winning designers for a benefit concert. It would be amazing to see a commercial production of Sunday become a big success. 

neonlightsxo
#97SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 12:37pm

Jordan Catalano said: "LITTLE SHOP was the surprise where we learned Jake had the chops for a musical. SUNDAY IN THE PARK is where we learned he has the chops for the best musicals. "

Agreed. I thought Annaleigh was sublime, FWIW. No desire to see Carmen do it over her. 

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#98SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 12:47pm

Bought myself a ticket to see it again tomorrow afternoon so I can experience it again for what it is, and not just the joy of seeing these individual performances exceed all of my already high expectations. It really was a beautiful evening and tomorrow will be a beautiful afternoon.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#99SUNDAY at City Center performance thoughts/reviews
Posted: 10/25/16 at 12:52pm

I see that the Times has quietly and quickly corrected the review, which initially stated that the original production of Sunday won the Tony.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."