pixeltracker

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread- Page 60

Sunset Boulevard Revival Broadway Thread

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#1475SUNSET BOULEVARD -
Posted: 11/14/17 at 1:23pm

Lot - I've purposely avoided the Palace Theatre vicinity when I've been in and out of the City.  Didn't want to see what had happened there laugh

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#1476SUNSET BOULEVARD -
Posted: 11/14/17 at 1:37pm

After seeing Hello Again I vote Rumer Willis for Betty. She’s fantastic. That SpongeBob marquee is an abomination.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#1477SUNSET BOULEVARD -
Posted: 11/14/17 at 1:38pm

chernjam said: "Lot - I've purposely avoided the Palace Theatre vicinity when I've been in and out of the City. Didn't want to see what had happened therelaugh"

The Sunset imagery remained up there for some time after the show closed, and I know that a new marquee had to eventually take its place, but...SpongeBob SquarePants?

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#1478SUNSET BOULEVARD -
Posted: 11/14/17 at 1:46pm

The SpongeBob musical is a much more original, inventive, and theatrical translation from screen to stage than the Sunset musical. 

Evans2
#1479SUNSET BOULEVARD -
Posted: 11/14/17 at 2:31pm

Scarywarhol said: "The SpongeBob musical is a much more original, inventive, and theatrical translation from screen to stage than the Sunset musical."

Haters gonna hate.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#1480SUNSET BOULEVARD -
Posted: 11/14/17 at 4:28pm

Lot666 said: "

The Sunset imagery remained up there for some time after the show closed, and I know that a new marquee had to eventually take its place, but...SpongeBob SquarePants?"

It still boggles my mind that the Sunset marquee didn't go up till almost the day the previews started.  Maybe its a Palace Theatre thing

A Director
#1481SUNSET BOULEVARD -
Posted: 11/14/17 at 5:14pm

When Ms Close dies, her body could be embalmed like Lenin. Of course, she would wear one of Norma's costumes. The Palace Theatre could be turned into a shrine with the body on display for her countless fans.  On stage there could be a recreation of the SB Concert set, or better, yet, the original set.  The original cast recording with Ms Close could play on a endless loop.  The concert marquee could be out back in place.  Think of all the money the shrine would bring in.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#1482SUNSET BOULEVARD -
Posted: 11/22/17 at 11:20pm

Now that Crazy for You's LA run was cancelled this February - maybe they could bring in Sunset for that limited run?

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#1483SUNSET BOULEVARD -
Posted: 2/3/18 at 4:05pm

It just hit me this afternoon - that it was a year ago I first saw the Sunset Blvd. revival (in previews) - hard to believe...  (Passed the Palace Theatre the other day, first time in months... no slight to Sponge Bob fans, but that depressed me)

Kind of surprised there's not been any further updates about whether a movie is in the works.  Perhaps Andrew Lloyd Webber will say something when he is at the Town Hall event with Glenn Close on his book release.  Any of you going?  I'm pissed that I'll be out of town

SteveL2
#1484SUNSET BOULEVARD -
Posted: 2/4/18 at 2:29am

With apologies for this probably being in the wrong place.. So the last night London, last year Broadway, last night, the Cliffs Pavillion Theatre Southend, situated over the water in a typical British seaside town on a cold wet February Saturday evening for the UK touring production. Living in London, there’s no need to drive out of the capital to see shows that you wouldn’t think could compete with the West End, but this was really very good. Nice to see a staged production, and it was on a surprisingly huge stage too, and with the 16 piece orchestra creating a beautiful sound from somewhere within the building. Ria Jones continues to headline, and while she can certainly hit the notes better than GC, It was only right at the end that the drama came through and overall I just didn’t really get it..Then again, in London GC gave the greatest performance I have ever seen on stage so maybe that’s no surprise. Danny Mac, one of last years Strictly (Dancing with stars) standouts was a very good Joe, my wife got an added bonus as he was having between show dinner with 2 co stars at the table next to us earlier in the evening. And he/ they were very friendly and charming. Lots of money spent on production, 18 or so in the cast plus the orchestra, this show is running till the end of April and now includes a couple of weeks in Europe.. 850 were in, only half full, apparently the locals dont like the weekend price hike. So a very good evening, but I think, for now, it’s enough.. 

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#1485SUNSET BOULEVARD -
Posted: 2/4/18 at 8:32am

Thanks for that review Steve... I had wondered how the UK tour was going - and was curious if that might encourage a New US Tour - especially since Glenn in London was only a 5 week run - and we had a 5 month tour.  From what I heard so far on a UK board, Danny Mack has been even better received than Ria.

SteveL2
#1486SUNSET BOULEVARD -
Posted: 2/4/18 at 11:19am

For me none of the leading 4 were as good as London/Broadway, nor should they be given production budgets etc..But for a touring show this apparently is on a scale rarely if ever seen in the UK, the reviews across the board have all been 4 or 5 star, and Danny Mac for me at least delivered more than Ria Jones.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#1487SUNSET BOULEVARD -
Posted: 2/5/18 at 9:01am

chernjam said: "Thanks for that review Steve... I had wondered how the UK tour was going - and was curious if that might encourage a New US Tour - especially since Glenn in London was only a 5 week run - and we had a 5 month tour. From what I heard so far on a UK board, Danny Mack has been even better received than Ria."

Danny Mack is certainly a looker, but I listened to a clip of him performing the title song and found his phrasing and intonation (or lack thereof) extremely off-putting. He speak-sings each word, and often each syllable, in a staccato rhythm that sounds like he's trying to sing in bullet points. Also, I find his pronunciation of the word "boulevard" as "booo-leee-vard" to be absolutely maddening. angry

That said, I'd love to have a U.S. tour.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#1488SUNSET BOULEVARD -
Posted: 2/5/18 at 12:56pm

We need this movie done ASAP! And in 3D and Imax!!!! :)

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#1489SUNSET BOULEVARD -
Posted: 7/21/18 at 11:20pm

So with Mama Mia 2 looking at a $40 million opening weekend - with what is been said to be a ridiculous (if any) story line - coupled by some awesome ABBA music and a great cast - I couldn't help but wonder why Paramount is dragging their feet so much on this.  It's not like they have tons of blockbusters coming out of their studio right now.  ALW and Glenn Close doing this would definitely help attract some buzz for them and I have to think that it would be modestly profitable for the studio.  Particularly with all the acclaim ALW received for JCS live

Has anyone heard anything?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#1490SUNSET BOULEVARD -
Posted: 7/22/18 at 12:16am

I don't see the connection between Sunset Boulevard and the confectionary nostalgia trip of the Mamma Mia! franchise which has always been profitable. If there is a reason a studio hasn't greenlit Sunset Boulevard it's most likely because they're worried it won't turn a profit.

Updated On: 7/22/18 at 12:16 AM

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#1491SUNSET BOULEVARD -
Posted: 7/22/18 at 12:28am

CATSNYrevival said: "I don't see the connection between Sunset Boulevard and the confectionary nostalgia trip of the Mamma Mia! franchise which has always been profitable.If there is a reason a studiohasn't greenlit Sunset Boulevardit's most likely because they're worried it won't turn a profit."

My point was that movie musicals seem to be doing better... and if something like Mamma Mia could do that well with it being just a fluff piece... why the hesitation on something like this?

UncleCharlie
#1492SUNSET BOULEVARD -
Posted: 7/22/18 at 12:50am

chernjam said: "My point was that movie musicals seem to be doing better... and if something like Mamma Mia could do that well with it being just a fluff piece... why the hesitation on something like this?"

What's fluff to you is the song catalog of one of the most popular and beloved musical groups of all time.  It's success as a film is not because it was a stage musical, it's because it's... ABBA. Sunset Boulevard, while a beloved piece of theater, to those under 35 would feel dated and is just not that interesting. The hesitation as was pointed out ,is that they likely feel there's no audience for it.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#1493SUNSET BOULEVARD -
Posted: 12/7/18 at 8:00am

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Glenn-Close-Says-Theyre-Inching-Closer-and-Closer-to-SUNSET-BOULEVARD-Film-20181207

Well, she is nominated for Golden Globe and I would be surprised if she didn’t get the Oscar nomination as well. It’s a difficult year so I can’t speak on who will/should win, but nominations could help the chances of this becoming a reality, yeah?

*fingers crossed*

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#1494SUNSET BOULEVARD -
Posted: 12/7/18 at 8:19am

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Glenn-Close-Says-Theyre-Inching-Closer-and-Closer-to-SUNSET-BOULEVARD-Film-20181207

Well, she is nominated for Golden Globe and I would be surprised if she didn’t get the Oscar nomination as well. It’s a difficult year so I can’t speak on who will/should win, but nominations could help the chances of this becoming a reality, yeah?

*fingers crossed*"

YES PLEASE!! yes

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#1495SUNSET BOULEVARD -
Posted: 12/7/18 at 9:17am

Norma has become the ultimate tease for years...  

When I hear they've begun filming, then I'll get excited