pixeltracker

2017 NBC Live Musical is "Bye Bye Birdie"- Page 6

2017 NBC Live Musical is "Bye Bye Birdie"

Speed
#1252017 NBC Live Musical is
Posted: 3/9/17 at 9:09pm

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "Zachary Levi is definitely a great choice for Albert too. In fact, what Levi and NPH both have in common (aside from their obvious musical theatre backgrounds) is their previous working relationships with NBC.

What working relationship does NPH have with NBC? HIMYM and the Tonys were on CBS.

smidge
#1262017 NBC Live Musical is
Posted: 3/9/17 at 9:19pm

Jeffrey may be referring to Best Time Ever, which wasn't. I'm sure NBC wants to forget their NPH relationship.

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#1272017 NBC Live Musical is
Posted: 3/9/17 at 9:19pm

NPH did that short lived variety type show Best Time Ever for NBC not long ago. 

My vote for Albert is Levi. And I think Jonas would make a fine Birdie. I hated him in Les Mis, but have generally liked him in everything else. 

I also second Carol Burnett for Mae. That would make this a must-see for me.

nasty_khakis
#1282017 NBC Live Musical is
Posted: 3/9/17 at 9:31pm

Based on their real ages Burnett gave birth to Levi when she was 47. As phenomenally talented and funny as she is, she's the mother of an Albert in his 50s. 

I'd love to see them think of someone like Megan Mullally, who IS old enough to be Levi's mom (though not NPH's unless she was a teen mom). It will all depend on how old Albert is and how old they decide Jennifer's Rosie is since she looks way younger than her actual age.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1292017 NBC Live Musical is
Posted: 3/9/17 at 9:51pm

I will be seriously disappointed if Albert turns out to be anyone but Levi! I can't think of more perfect casting for the role. 

Timmer
#1302017 NBC Live Musical is
Posted: 3/9/17 at 11:02pm

What part is she playing?

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#1312017 NBC Live Musical is
Posted: 3/13/17 at 11:54am

I pictured Sean Hayes as Mr. MacAfee only because I'm imagining a full Paul Lynde repeat but I can see a reimagining. Stephen Colbert would be perfect.

Bruno Mars would be the perfect Conrad Birdie. I wonder if they'll give us the Broadway Kim or the sexed up Ann-Margaret film Kim. I hope they overplay the teen obsessiveness because I always find that entertaining. I sort of hope they overplay a lot of things because this is the show to do it and the last few live shows needed serious energy. And yes to whoever said there needs to be a real live audience throughout the entire show. The numbers and jokes are dead without a live reaction.

I'm seriously excited for this because I love Bye Bye Birdie and I think it can be done well as long as its in the right hands. It just needs needs a lot of energy.

As for J.Lo and whoever is going to play Albert (Levi or NPH are great choices), I just hope there's a real warmth and chemistry there because otherwise I find their storyline to be dead. I think J.Lo will kill the dancing (I hope they don't dumb down the choreography) and as long as she has real personality in her songs and bring that personality to her voice, it will work.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#1322017 NBC Live Musical is
Posted: 3/13/17 at 1:10pm

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "As for J.Lo and whoever is going to play Albert (Levi or NPH are great choices), I just hope there's a real warmth and chemistry there because otherwise I find their storyline to be dead."

Hmm, makes me wonder. I don't know the show at all, so not sure what expectation would be from Albert's role from a dance perspective. How about Harry Connick Jr.? That's who I think of when someone says warmth. He was my absolute favorite in W&G (cheating on his wife notwithstanding).

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#1332017 NBC Live Musical is
Posted: 3/13/17 at 1:13pm

From what I know, the character of Albert is suppose to be in his 30's.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#1342017 NBC Live Musical is
Posted: 3/13/17 at 1:19pm

That's what I read too. That Albert's supposed to be between 30-40 with Rose @ 25-35. If they can stretch JLo to be between 25-35 (which isn't that difficult to accept), Harry won't feel out of place as her boyfriend. But then again, I have no idea what the expectation is from the actor physically.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#1352017 NBC Live Musical is
Posted: 3/13/17 at 1:24pm

Also... How about Jane Krakowski for Mrs. Macafee? (I read the wiki page about characters lol. I love the Megan Mullally suggestion too).

Jeffrey Karasarides
#1362017 NBC Live Musical is
Posted: 3/13/17 at 1:26pm

Interesting idea because Sally Mayes who was Tony nominated for playing Ilona in Roundabout's 1993 revival of She Loves Me actually played Mrs. MacAfee in the 1995 TV movie version.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1372017 NBC Live Musical is
Posted: 3/13/17 at 1:28pm

I still love the idea of Colbert and Benanti as Mr. and Mrs.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#1382017 NBC Live Musical is
Posted: 3/13/17 at 1:32pm

I doubt Stephen Colbert will be able to do it because of his late night show on CBS.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#1392017 NBC Live Musical is
Posted: 3/13/17 at 1:36pm

This board is funny. Benanti is being cast as a mom in her 50s on this thread and a cockney girl in her late teens in the My Fair Lady revival thread. Make up your minds lol.

Also, I genuinely doubt Colbert would be able to get on an NBC show. Especially because of his rather busy schedule as CBS' The Daily Show host which shoots in NYC (this is probably going to be rehearsed in LA and done there as well).

I'm suggesting Jane Krakowski since she can convincingly play Dove Cameron's mother ^_^

ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man) Profile Photo
ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man)
#1402017 NBC Live Musical is
Posted: 3/13/17 at 1:37pm

As much as I love the idea of Carol Burnett as Mae Peterson, I would also love it if Megan Mullally played the role, if they get NPH or Zachary Levi to play Albert. And I know it would never happen in a million years but my crazy pick for Mae would be Bernadette Peters. Because it would be different from her past roles. 

Also I think Kim needs to be a Broadway baby. Maybe Cailin Houlahan (if she can take time away from "Waitress) as Kim. 

Updated On: 3/13/17 at 01:37 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1412017 NBC Live Musical is
Posted: 3/13/17 at 1:42pm

Why would Mrs. Macafee need to be in her 50's??? Her kids are young. Kim is around 15 and Randolph is around 10. In the 50's, I'm sure many women in their mid to late 30's had children of that age. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#1422017 NBC Live Musical is
Posted: 3/13/17 at 1:44pm

You're right ljay889. I misread this link. She's a typical "50"s mom who's in the 40-49 age group.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1432017 NBC Live Musical is
Posted: 3/14/17 at 5:20pm

Levi said he would gladly accept the role.....

https://twitter.com/zacharylevi/status/841759891580624896

the turtle reference is about the silly bit in the original film. 

Jeffrey Karasarides
adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#1452017 NBC Live Musical is
Posted: 3/30/17 at 9:53am

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "Harvey Fierstein has revealed some updates he made to the plot...
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Harvey-Fierstein-Details-Changes-Made-to-NBCs-BYE-BYE-BIRDIE-LIVE-20170330

Yikes.

MoveOnGypsy Profile Photo
MoveOnGypsy
#1462017 NBC Live Musical is
Posted: 3/30/17 at 9:54am

Oh for goodness sakes! It's a freaking period piece. Now you've just ruined it and made "slight changes" to "An English Teacher" by making them both teachers? It's not a slight change, it's a complete change. Please! Not only is Jennifer Lopez in it but you change Rosie completely because Jenny from the block wants her to be a struggling Puerto Rican immigrant? Why not just change the whole thing to take place in 1999 and have Conrad Birdie go on TRL?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1472017 NBC Live Musical is
Posted: 3/30/17 at 9:56am

Wow, some of it doesn't even sound like Bye Bye Birdie anymore. They're both teachers?? The second half of the show is the aftermath of the Sullivan performance, now that's the end? Should be interesting. 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#1482017 NBC Live Musical is
Posted: 3/30/17 at 9:58am

Okay, but it's certainly a different story, isn't it?  I guess it's more 2017 to gut the office relationship.  Yet it's moving the story into a no man's land of viewing the major plot line through the filter of a current perspective.  Hey, maybe it's the only way to make it work for a new generation (if they'll be watching -- not a done deal; isn't this boomer heaven?).  Though making Rose a music teacher is appropriate to the era, too, it  robs the story of its more understandable connection to show biz.  Now we have small town teachers going to a small town? Wasn't the point to take the urban Albert and Rose out of their stressful crucible and plunk them down in a small town America they're not connected to?  Maybe nobody cares.  Maybe I don't. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1492017 NBC Live Musical is
Posted: 3/30/17 at 10:02am

MoveOnGypsy said: "Oh for goodness sakes! It's a freaking period piece. Now you've just ruined it and made "slight changes" to "An English Teacher" by making them both teachers? It's not a slight change, it's a complete change. Please! Not only is Jennifer Lopez in it but you change Rosie completely because Jenny from the block wants her to be a struggling Puerto Rican immigrant? Why not just change the whole thing to take place in 1999 and have Conrad Birdie go on TRL?

"

That always been Rosie in the stage musical though, as the Hollywood Reporter article states. I guess Lopez wanted to make sure it didn't turn into a Janet Leigh Rosie, which was doubtful. Even Vanessa Williams played it Latina.