Buying last minute tickets

Sammytravels
#1Buying last minute tickets
Posted: 1/6/17 at 8:10pm

I'll be in the city next Wednesday for about 17 hrs. I would like to see both a matinee and an evening show. Not bothered what I see or where I sit, I just want to watch musicals and get the cheapest prices I can get.

Will it be cheaper to by from the box office or the TKTS booth in Times Square? The upside of TKTS would be a multitude of shows to choose from, as opposed to the box office of one particular theatre. Are there any shows that anyone knows of that are offering cheaper seats last minute? Prefer Broadway but open to OFF-Broadway too. 

Im completely out of the loop as been caught up watching Something Rotten only for the past years worth of visits! 

Updated On: 1/6/17 at 08:10 PM

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#2Buying last minute tickets
Posted: 1/6/17 at 8:32pm

Do you want to pay full price or do you want deals? If you don't mind paying full price, go to the box office. You should do pretty well at TKTS. Also, download the app TodayTix. There are some deals on there, but generally you'll pay prices similar to using a discount code. TodayTix has Broadway and Off Broadway, which is handy.

AEA AGMA SM
#3Buying last minute tickets
Posted: 1/6/17 at 8:38pm

Since TodayTix upped their service charge (I believe it's at $12 now) it's becoming much more cost effective in many cases to check for discount codes on BroadwayBox or Playbill and purchase directly from the box office and avoid excessive service fees. Wednesdays in January are not particularly in high demand, so getting day of tickets should not be a problem to the large majority of shows.

Kinky Boy Profile Photo
Kinky Boy
#4Buying last minute tickets
Posted: 1/6/17 at 9:03pm

how much has Waitress been at tkts recently?

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#5Buying last minute tickets
Posted: 1/6/17 at 9:13pm

I've had success at the box offices when the show is less in demand.  They often will offer you the discounted price.  

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

phan24 Profile Photo
phan24
#6Buying last minute tickets
Posted: 1/6/17 at 9:46pm

This is my go-to website to check which Broadway shows have same-day rush, lotteries, or standing room only offers. If you don't mind waiting in line for some time in the morning, then you should be able to get a lot of these. (Except the very on-demand ones like Dear Evan Hansen, Oh Hello, Jersey Boys, Great Comet, which I would say you need to get in line by 7am the latest, box office opens at 10am)

http://broadwayforbrokepeople.com/

Sammytravels
#7Buying last minute tickets
Posted: 1/7/17 at 7:56pm

Thank you all for your replies. Very helpful :)

I'll be getting into Manhattan for about 1.15pm so won't have much time to to choose to get the best deal. I think I've decided on Holiday inn and In-Tranist, mainly as the former is closing soon and the latter very likely could be too. 

So what is the best option for gettin tickets to these? 

@z5
#8Buying last minute tickets
Posted: 1/7/17 at 8:14pm

LOL Congrats- you chose the two worst shows playing. 

Sammytravels
#9Buying last minute tickets
Posted: 1/7/17 at 8:22pm

I know they're the least popular shows, but I'm hoping they'll be the easiest and cheapest to see. Wanna try and see as many shows as possible this year- I know,there will be the good, the bad and the ugly, it all about the experience for me. 

Updated On: 1/7/17 at 08:22 PM

alfred2
#10Buying last minute tickets
Posted: 1/7/17 at 11:05pm

I won the In Transit lottery on Today Tix for the matinee this past Wednesday. I would try that you should know by 11am if you won.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#11Buying last minute tickets
Posted: 1/7/17 at 11:15pm

alfred2 said: "I won the In Transit lottery on Today Tix for the matinee this past Wednesday. I would try that you should know by 11am if you won."

That will only work if they are able to pay within the hour of being notified, no? So, depends on whether you're available to check phone/pay fro 11a-noon for that to work.

jbird5
#12Buying last minute tickets
Posted: 1/8/17 at 12:00am

Holiday Inn is on TDF for Wednesday night. You would have to pay the extra cost to join, but if you live >100mi from NYC it's only $12 I believe. Even so it would be worth it if you plan on seeing lots of shows. The lottery is the cheaper way to go for In Transit.