pixeltracker

Meryl Streep's speech last night- Page 3

Meryl Streep's speech last night

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#50Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 1:44pm

Still, nobody has provided an actual, tangible reason for Streep to offer the words that she did. It can't have been to influence an election, because now that's two months behind us. All it did was appeal to those who dislike Trump, make them/you feel warm and fuzzy inside to be able to relate to an important Hollywood actor, and further piss off those who voted for Trump and resent the liberal Hollywood elite. Honestly, regardless of my personal feelings for Trump, I truly believe that if actors like Streep keep up that shtick for the next four years, we're looking at a landslide victory for Trump 2020.

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#51Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 1:45pm

Petralicious said: "I never heard her say anything bad about him raping a 12 year old virgin" 

That sure is a strange way of phrasing it. Are you saying you wouldn't have a problem with it if she wasn't a virgin?

As far as actors making political speeches a lot of us are in Unions and believe in the power of collective bargaining rights so to say that we should "just act" while acting in and of itself can be a political act is just silly. 

Roscoe
#52Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 1:48pm

Don't forget folks -- Donald Trump is continuing to publicly deny that he did what there is clear, easily accessible video of him doing.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
Updated On: 1/9/17 at 01:48 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#53Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 1:51pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Trump is not homophobic, misogynistic, xenophobic, or racist. And I stand by that. I reject the mainstream media's narrative of him.

Kad, I'm not going to dictate who "should" speak publicly about politics. That's not American. I've never once said that Streep *should not* have given her speech—I've simply questioned the merits of her words and her intent. I've also never said celebrities *should not* speak about their politics; I've just voiced the facts that a) I don't care about their political opinions, and b) that many, many other Americans clearly don't. There's clearly some barrier between the views held of elite Hollywood liberals and an overwhelming chunk of the American electorate, so why continue to shove such views down our throats after Hillary's embarrassing show in November?"

You're not saying they should or shouldn't do anything... but on the other hand, you're using loaded language to argue that there is no merit to sharing their views and that it's better if they didn't.

Maybe Meryl was preaching the choir and maybe some will take it as a call to action. Whatever. Since you don't care, the point is moot. I think "hijacking" a public event has a lot of merit. And since vast swaths of the population seem to loathe elitism only when it is coming from folks they dislike, the stigma of "elitism" is just a watch cry to me. It is just an epithet to throw around. F*CK it.  

Frankly, I think declaring that one doesn't care is the refuge of the cowardly... particularly when one clearly does.. You want the art but not the people making it.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#54Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 1:52pm

It was a call for empathy. A call to stand up against hate, And a direct call to support the Committee to Protect Journalist which you can do here: https://www.cpj.org/

Petralicious Profile Photo
Petralicious
#55Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 1:57pm

All the Actors and Actresses campaigning for Hillary backfired.  So did those embarrassing Celebrity Videos begging the Electoral College People and Congress to vote against him. It just got a lot of people who are more concerned with being able to work and feed their family than Climate Control and Bathroom Politics who had voted for Obama to vote for Trump.

When They Go Low, I Go High

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#56Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 2:00pm

Yes. It was the actors and actresses campaigning for Hillary that barely put Trump over the edge. That was the deciding factor.

LOL

After Eight
#57Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 2:01pm

These so-called "award shows" have for a long time now mutated into a grotesque  exercise in self-congratulation and condescension. The awards themselves are really now just an excuse for an assemblage of vain individuals enamored of themselves and their "sagacity" to get on their high horse and pontificate to all the unenlightened little people out in tv land.

Why even bother to watch them when one knows the name of the game? Personally, I prefer reading a good book. Which is what I did last evening.

In truth, about the only thing of worth on these shows are the fashion designs, and they can be viewed on the pre-show interviews. Happily, clothes can't talk!  

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#58Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 2:01pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Still, nobody has provided an actual, tangible reason for Streep to offer the words that she did. It can't have been to influence an election, because now that's two months behind us. All it did was appeal to those who dislike Trump, make them/you feel warm and fuzzy inside to be able to relate to an important Hollywood actor, and further piss off those who voted for Trump and resent the liberal Hollywood elite. Honestly, regardless of my personal feelings for Trump, I truly believe that if actors like Streep keep up that shtick for the next four years, we're looking at a landslide victory for Trump 2020."

Did...did you listen to the speech? She explicitly said it- what bothered her was that this man was cruel enough to mock a reporter with a disability and was rewarded despite his cruelty. She made the speech because she felt it necessary to say and she has the platform- why do you need further justification?

I think it is enormously telling that the right is so angered by this speech when all she did was call for return to empathy and kindness and defend art, which has been her career for decades. It's not Meryl Streep's fault that the President is a needlessly cruel man- blame the people that voted for him. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#59Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 2:11pm

Rather than engaging these pathetic Trump supporters, can't we focus on how eloquent and dignified Streep was?

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#60Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 2:30pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Trump is neither a racist, misogynist, or homophobe. I would never throw my support to somebody who espoused those views."

But you're okay with him thinking he can do whatever he wants to women, even "grab 'em by the p**sy" because he is wealthy? And it's okay that he mocks the disabled? 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#61Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 2:37pm

He's not going to answer any of the questions you've asked him.  He never does.  He's a petulant child who when asked to defend his abhorrent views will say something like "I don't have to answer to anyone."

Updated On: 1/9/17 at 02:37 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#62Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 2:38pm

I am so glad that she called him out on his cruel and childish behavior in front of millions of people! I myself am dying to do that, but all I have is fb.

Kudos to Streep for using her platform in this way.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Petralicious
#63Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 2:39pm

They just showed on THE VIEW of all places that he wasnt mocking the reporter for being disabled. 

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#64Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 2:42pm

Petralicious posted - "They just showed on THE VIEW of all places that he wasnt mocking the reporter for being disabled. "

Is that when you turned off the tv? Because if you kept watching, you would have heard Whoopi then comment - "So what if he wasn't  mocking that particular individual - he WAS MOCKING A PERSON."

Petralicious
#65Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 2:46pm

no, I heard that. But that is a lot different than mocking a person for his disability, which is what Meryl claimed

Updated On: 1/9/17 at 02:46 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#66Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 2:51pm

You do not know who he was mocking. That his histrionics were similar to the reporter's movements  gives Trump an excuse.

Hey, this example notwithstanding, anyone who doesn't recognize Trump for what he is, doesn't want to, or is as fvcked up as he is.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#67Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 2:54pm

I wish there were one person in the Trump administration with a trace of the dignity and grace exemplified by Streep.  She has done a great service, and Trump had played along.  We can't normalize him, and we can't allow him to play us for fools.  Clearly, some Americans have been willfully ignorant, but I want to believe there are enough who can see him for what he truly is.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Petralicious
#68Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 2:56pm

Jane2 said: "You do not know who he was mocking. That his histrionics were similar to the reporter's movements  gives Trump an excuse.

"Im not saying he is a good person, I am pointing out Meryls statement.  You saw the clip of him making fun of Ted Cruz the same way. with the same exact histrionics

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#69Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 2:59pm

Petralicious, I know this word is considered the most obnoxious of all, but at times, it completely sums up what I feel.

whatever.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#70Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 3:21pm

They just showed on THE VIEW of all places that he wasnt mocking the reporter for being disabled.

Thank God I didn't have to rely on The View to provide me with the footage and background to form my own assessment of what occurred.  I believe 100% that he was mocking that specific reporter.  Whether or not the reporter's disability was foremost in the tiny mind of Captain Creamsicle is interesting to know, but not entirely relevant.  But given that this whole thing started by Captain Creamsicle trying to deflect attention from his own lie, just before his offending gesticulation, he literally says, "But you got to see this guy".  I don't give a flying fnck what The View says or need them to explain to me.  Ann Coulter defends it.  What more verification can you possibly need that what he did was vile and reprehensible?  

Anyone over the age of 10 will be familiar with the common sign language of immature bullies across the nation used for "****".  It is unmissable in the footage and inexcusable for anyone to use, much less a grown adult speaking in a public forum.  And WHAT exactly, in the history of the behavior of Captain Creamsicle would indicate otherwise?  His dismissive insult of Streep and his vague excuse of the video is just more of his typical pattern of contemptible childish behavior.  He believes he and his family are made of Teflon and have the right to do quite literally anything they like with no consequences.  Only a moron can support and excuse the behavior of this horrific creature.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Petralicious
#71Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 3:30pm

Mister Matt, He is our new President,  i do not like it either but I am not going to let it ruin my life and give me heart attack. I prefer to be happy and move on. I really do admire your passion thouugh, any passion really, even as I disagree with it. But  I just hate hypocrites and I believe she is one. 

Updated On: 1/9/17 at 03:30 PM

Adair Haywind
#72Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 3:32pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Mister Matt said: "And yet, you defend the self-serving acts of the rich self-centered elitists congratulating each other on how great they are known as the "First Family" elect at every turn."

They were elected to office!!! By the American people!!! I mean, honestly!

If you truly believe that, you're even more of an idiot than I thought you were. The American people elected Hillary Clinton, as shown by her achieving a popular vote victory of more than 2 million votes. Trump was elected by corrupt electoral voters and Russian hackers. 

"

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#73Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 3:41pm

i do not like it either but I am not going to let it ruin my life and give me heart attack.

I prefer to be happy and move on.  And by expressing myself, I am doing precisely that.  Your exaggeration in no way resembles my mood or behavior.

They were elected to office!!! By the American people!!! I mean, honestly!

Oh, I believe you are being honest all the time.  That's what is so frightening.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#74Meryl Streep's speech last night
Posted: 1/9/17 at 3:43pm

Relitigating the election serves no purpose.  Nor does engaging Trump-supporting trolls.  Better to focus on consistently raising voices with the hopes of convincing others.