Yen at MCC

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#26Yen at MCC
Posted: 2/6/17 at 9:50am

They are just on the website when you go to buy them, if available. No code or anything.

They just extended the show, without Justice though, so that may open some more $30 tickets up... although I'd recommend seeing it with him.

sondmon
#27Yen at MCC
Posted: 2/6/17 at 10:01am

Are there any seats to avoid in the theater? Or any particular places to sit for the show?

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#28Yen at MCC
Posted: 2/6/17 at 10:41am

Thanks, everybody! I don’t see any being offered on the site for the dates I can go (which, unfortunately, hater, are only during the extension). I’ll the theater a call later.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#29Yen at MCC
Posted: 2/6/17 at 11:07am

Anyone know who is replacing Justice?

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#30Yen at MCC
Posted: 2/6/17 at 11:19am

GreasedLightning said: "Anyone know who is replacing Justice?

Word is it's Jack DiFalco, who's the current understudy. I really enjoyed him in Mercury Fur but I don't think I could sit through Yen again to check him out.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#31Yen at MCC
Posted: 2/6/17 at 11:29am

Jack DiFalco is taking over Bobbie on February 20. It's clearly stated on MCC's website. He's currently the understudy for both male roles, and played the role of Hench last Sunday while Lucas Hedges was in LA for the SAG Awards.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#32Yen at MCC
Posted: 2/6/17 at 11:45am

I read the spoiler toggle because there is no way in hell I'd see something like this. Jeez Louise. As a writer, I can't help but wonder how the playwrights of works such as these are able to dig into the darkest parts of their souls to come up with such twisted elements. Hell, I had to write a MODERATELY political ONE-ACT this weekend and could barely stand it.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

sondmon
#33Yen at MCC
Posted: 2/6/17 at 11:45am

AC126748 said: "Jack DiFalco is taking over Bobbie on February 20. It's clearly stated on MCC's website. He's currently the understudy for both male roles, and played the role of Hench last Sunday while Lucas Hedges was in LA for the SAG Awards.

Speaking of the SAG is Hedges going to be out for any awards shows coming up? Is there a schedule anywhere?

"

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#34Yen at MCC
Posted: 2/6/17 at 11:47am

No. The production is dark the entire Oscars weekend (to accommodate his schedule), and Hedges is scheduled to play all remaining performances.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

aj88
#35Yen at MCC
Posted: 2/14/17 at 7:43pm

I saw this a week ago.

I have to say kudos to this production for creating such an unsettling and disturbing atmosphere. At first, it was almost so jarring that I wasn't even sure if I was going to be able to handle the rest of the show. By the end of the first act, it won me over. 

The acting was great and I particularly loved Anna Jordan's dialogue as the play progressed. 

It makes me happy to see something like this being performed and getting exposure. The uncomfortable feeling that at first made me unsure was what made me end up really admiring and respecting it.

jbird5
#36Yen at MCC
Posted: 2/14/17 at 8:43pm

Maybe it's because I grew up in a less privileged environment and have known people like this, I wasn't disturbed at all. I never lost the sense that they were play acting. Lucas did a fairly good job but Justice Smith seemed more cuddly than menacing. The violence was so soft pedaled that it took me a few minutes to figure out what actually happened. Ari Gaynor never seemed to have a hair out of place. Stefania (to my ears) did a passable Welsh accent. I think we may be expiriencing the problem that's talked about in Britain. You have to be "posh" to be able to pursue a career in acting. I would like to see what a couple of working class kids would do with this.

smidge
#37Yen at MCC
Posted: 2/14/17 at 9:47pm

I have to agree with Jbird that the content of the play wasn't especially shocking or disturbing, at least not to the extent of some of the reactions in this thread. But I may be somewhat desensitized after being employed by a social services agency for years. There's nothing here that you probably haven't experienced in films like Trainspotting. I do feel the young actors were all terrific in conveying the desperation of their situation.

lczvera
#38Yen at MCC
Posted: 2/21/17 at 11:31pm

Not sure if you are still interested seeing the play. I saw it today with the 30 dollars deal (36 including the fee). I'd say there is no bad seat particularly, but left side is a little bit better(In the 1st act, there is a TV screen which faces left side mostly to the left).

It's Jack DiFalco's 2nd show as Bobbie, and he is so amazing in it! My friend who had no clue and was so amazed finding out he was the swing/understudy in the after-show cast chat.

I wasn't expecting much going to the play, and I got pleasantly surprised with how intriguing it is! The whole cast is very talented and lighting/sound design are also superb! I think it's extended to Mar 4th, so you can still catch it before it closes!

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#39Yen at MCC
Posted: 2/22/17 at 10:45pm

I finally saw Yen tonight and echo several of the comments already expressed in the thread. I feel it's hard to discuss this play without going into SPOILERS (this is due to the fact that act one is all about establishing atmosphere and the plot doesn't really kick into gear until act two)...

I think the play would benefit greatly with some cuts; an intermissionless presentation would be ideal, but if they insisted on maintaining a break in the action I think they should move it to after Bobbie goes off to commit the rape. That would also leave Hench on the floor, bleeding out from his head wounds and the fate of all three younger characters in limbo. Then cut to the next scene with Ari's mum character all dressed up and the audience left to piece together what happened. (At first I assumed incorrectly that they were at a funeral- Hench's- as I couldn't imagine any other reason she would get so dressed up. Then Hench enters, then you realize they're at a courthouse, etc. Makes for a much better act two opener.)

I did think the final scene between Bobbie and his mother was well acted, but ultimately unnecessary. Despite Bobbie being neglected and understanding that he was dealing with serious psychological issues, I didn't really feel much sympathy for him. The juvenile detention center actually seemed to be the healthiest environment he had been in, so I didn't really understand the point of including that final bit. It would have been more realistic to end with Hench and Jenny in the park, IMO.

I did enjoy the acting a lot; Graynor's accent felt a little off at first, but the other three did solid accent work. Trip Cullman, once again, brought some strong direction to the piece.

All in all I think it was worthwhile to see Yen.  

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#40Yen at MCC
Posted: 2/22/17 at 11:43pm

Agreed with the idea for cuts, Whizzer. That's a great Act 1 closer as it leaves the audience in suspense, as I don't think it does that currently. The whole first act was interesting but felt like it was leading to something and then LIGHTS UP. And you're like okay...but why should I care? And then Act II happens. I thought the direction and the design were quite great. 

A Director
#41Yen at MCC
Posted: 2/23/17 at 2:10am

Whizzer - Have you ever heard of SPOILER ALERT?

smidge
#42Yen at MCC
Posted: 2/23/17 at 6:19am

Whizzer clearly put Spoilers in caps in the first paragraph 

PJPan
#43Yen at MCC
Posted: 2/23/17 at 12:46pm

Saw this last night. One of MCC's best offerings in a while.

I agree with Whizzer that it would benefit from being one-act and some cuts. The intermission is unnecessary.

Jack DiFalco was mesmerizing. I personally enjoyed his final scene (trying to word it without spoiling) and found myself unexpectedly affected. He was for sure the standout for me.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#44Yen at MCC
Posted: 2/23/17 at 2:00pm

I loved Jack DiFalco in Mercury Fur and would love to see him as Bobby but I don't think I could sit through such a heavy piece again.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.