pixeltracker

What if? Stars who didn't get the part- Page 2

What if? Stars who didn't get the part

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#25What if? Stars who didn't get the part
Posted: 1/18/17 at 4:35pm

Sondheimite said: "Amy Adams lost a role in The Wedding Singer to Laura Benanti 

Really? I've never heard this one before. Seems odd they went with Laura (who I didn't think was a perfect fit in the role) over Amy Adams, who was already an Oscar nominee by then.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

AEA AGMA SM
#26What if? Stars who didn't get the part
Posted: 1/18/17 at 7:03pm

little_sally said: "Really? I've never heard this one before. Seems odd they went with Laura (who I didn't think was a perfect fit in the role) over Amy Adams, who was already an Oscar nominee by then."

Or it could be a case that Laura Benanti was the second choice when a deal couldn't be worked out with Amy Adams (just a thought as to why, not a statement of fact).

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#27What if? Stars who didn't get the part
Posted: 1/19/17 at 9:39am

AEA AGMA SM said: "little_sally said: "Really? I've never heard this one before. Seems odd they went with Laura (who I didn't think was a perfect fit in the role) over Amy Adams, who was already an Oscar nominee by then."

Or it could be a case that Laura Benanti was the second choice when a deal couldn't be worked out with Amy Adams (just a thought as to why, not a statement of fact).

That seems more plausible than Adams "losing" out on the role to Benanti.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#28What if? Stars who didn't get the part
Posted: 1/19/17 at 9:42am

little_sally said: "AEA AGMA SM said: "little_sally said: "Really? I've never heard this one before. Seems odd they went with Laura (who I didn't think was a perfect fit in the role) over Amy Adams, who was already an Oscar nominee by then."

That seems more plausible than Adams "losing" out on the role to Benanti.
"\

Not sure about that. Adams wouldn't receive her first Oscar nomination (for a small indie movie) until after THE WEDDING SINGER was already on it's way to Broadway following the try-out. Also Benanti has mentioned how the producers were the same ones behind the SOUND OF MUSIC revival and wanted her for the part from the get-go, even after Benanti expressed that she really didn't fit the part. If Adams auditioned, Benanti most likely just beat her out.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#29What if? Stars who didn't get the part
Posted: 1/19/17 at 9:43am

Amy Adams was nowhere near the star she is today back in summer/fall 2005, when The Wedding Singer was cast. Junebug had just come out and was picking up some buzz on the indie film circuit, but Adams was hardly a known commodity. By the time she picked up her Oscar nomination, the show was already cast and in tryouts in Seattle. Had the show happened a year later and Adams been available, things might have been different.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#30What if? Stars who didn't get the part
Posted: 1/19/17 at 10:29am

Patti wasnt offered Dot. Sondheim told her on the audition "no belting" and  she was basically like "oh ****." I'm pretty sure it's in her book. She did turn down The Witch because she wanted Cinderella. That's such an unfortunate missed opportunity. 

My main ones:

Elaine Stritch as Madame Rose (almost happened) and Miss Hannigan (apparently was in talks for London.)

and

Angela Lansbury as Phyllis in Follies and Desiree in Night Music. She was in discussions for both. 

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#31What if? Stars who didn't get the part
Posted: 1/19/17 at 10:33am

Wasn't Patti also offered a chance to come into the ALMN revival after Bernadette? Or is that just a persistent rumor?

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#32What if? Stars who didn't get the part
Posted: 1/19/17 at 10:42am

That must be a rumor. Patti once said she called Trevor Nunn when they were casting the revival initially and he never called her back. Nunn was very strict about casting each role age appropriately for the initial cast, but obviously he was more leniant with the replacements.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#33What if? Stars who didn't get the part
Posted: 1/19/17 at 10:50am

Nunn was very strict about casting each role age appropriately for the initial cast, but obviously he was more leniant with the replacements.

And Bernadette can play younger much more effectively than Patti.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#34What if? Stars who didn't get the part
Posted: 1/19/17 at 10:50am

Not 100% sure I'd want to hear Patti's "Send in the Clowns" anyway. I don't think I'd recognize a single lyric.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#35What if? Stars who didn't get the part
Posted: 1/19/17 at 10:53am

John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, Robert Plant, Barry Gibb, and Murray Head (who played Judas in the original concept recording of the show) were all considered for Jesus in the Jesus Christ Superstar film and the role bizarrely (and thankfully) ended up going to Ted Neeley (who was the understudy for Jesus in the original broadway production).

Broadway World's Fireman.
Updated On: 1/19/17 at 10:53 AM

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#36What if? Stars who didn't get the part
Posted: 1/19/17 at 11:02am

I believe the studio (and Robert Stigwood, in the case of Gibb) was more interested in the name stars. These were hardly the only names kicked around for the JCS movie. Listing them would take all day.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#37What if? Stars who didn't get the part
Posted: 1/19/17 at 3:46pm

NoName3 wrote regarding the central casting of MAME: "This was after numerous bigger ladies had turned the part down cold (Rosalind Russell, Mary Martin, Dolores Gray, etc.)"

Not questioning the validity of your statement (and I had heard about Russell and Martin declining the role before) but unless it was possibly a salary dispute or she was unavailable, I find it really hard to believe Dolores Gray would ever have turned down the starring role in a Jerry Herman musical especially after his megahit HELLO DOLLY. Also would never have even considered her as a Mame replacement due to her rather cold demeanor (Rose Havoc yes, Mame Dennis not so much). Plus she accepted the "co-starring" role in SHERRY! the following season that in no way had the same public interest as MAME.. 

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#38What if? Stars who didn't get the part
Posted: 1/19/17 at 4:21pm

A 20 year old Liza didn't get the part of Sally Bowles in the original Broadway cast of CABARET. She was able to nail the movie, though...

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#39What if? Stars who didn't get the part
Posted: 1/19/17 at 4:58pm

Patti talks about her audition to replace Bernadette as Dot in her book. She was waiting to be called in to the room with her audition material when Sondheim happened to walk by. He said to her, "Now Patti, I don't want any belting." Patti looked at the song she brought and said, "oh ****" and of course never got the role. 

The Into the Woods story is a little dicier because she's told it two different ways. In one version she claims they wanted her for the Witch (and I agree what a missed opportunity that was) but she wanted to play Cinderella. In another version of the story, she claims she was in negotiations for the role but they broke down because they couldn't agree on billing, later lamenting that Bernadette got the billing she had originally asked for. Who knows which version is the truth. 

She did give an interview around the time of the Night Music revival stating that when she heard about the revival she was very interested and called Trevor Nunn to express her desire to play Desiree. According to her, he never returned her phone call.  

Updated On: 1/19/17 at 04:58 PM

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#40What if? Stars who didn't get the part
Posted: 1/19/17 at 5:24pm

Yeah, he had probably seen her "performance" in a little night music in Ravinia

broadwayguy91
#41What if? Stars who didn't get the part
Posted: 1/20/17 at 4:38am

all the Pattii stories are so shady lol. 

Videos