pixeltracker

Groundhog Day Free First Preview- Page 2

Groundhog Day Free First Preview

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#25Groundhog Day WIN 2 Tix FREE for First Preview
Posted: 2/23/17 at 11:14am

I won, too. And I took one for the team and got some separated single seats so that people won't have to work around leaving them stranded. Heh.

a-mad
#26Groundhog Day WIN 2 Tix FREE for First Preview
Posted: 2/23/17 at 12:01pm

Somewhat off-topic... but I just re-watched Groundhog Day (the movie) last night.  Damn, what a fine film!  I really want this musical to succeed.  I think it would be great if there were several successes this season, and not the typical year of 1-2 successes and a whole bunch of failures...

ALittleFallofRain Profile Photo
ALittleFallofRain
#27Groundhog Day WIN 2 Tix FREE for First Preview
Posted: 2/23/17 at 2:27pm

"Somewhat off-topic... but I just re-watched Groundhog Day (the movie) last night.  Damn, what a fine film!  I really want this musical to succeed.  I think it would be great if there were several successes this season, and not the typical year of 1-2 successes and a whole bunch of failures..."

Do you think that Phil's charm comes from Bill Murray's quirky / befuddled air? I don't get that same vibe from Andy Karl and curious how the character works in the show.

BOM  Profile Photo
BOM
#28Groundhog Day WIN 2 Tix FREE for First Preview
Posted: 2/23/17 at 2:54pm

I won too. Already had tickets for May, but it will be cool to see the first preview.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#29Groundhog Day WIN 2 Tix FREE for First Preview
Posted: 2/23/17 at 3:04pm

FallofRain, I agree. I love me some Andy Karl, but he definitely does not come across as a Bill Murray type. He's almost too conventionally handsome for such a goofy character.

Then again, we're also getting a Chinese-American Amelie and a Jenna Hunterson who is almost 40...both of whom are sure to be terrific. So what do I know about playing for/against "type!"

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

Hamilfan2
#30Groundhog Day WIN 2 Tix FREE for First Preview
Posted: 2/23/17 at 3:55pm

No luck for me either Groundhog Day WIN 2 Tix FREE for First Preview

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#31Groundhog Day WIN 2 Tix FREE for First Preview
Posted: 2/24/17 at 1:11am

To be it almost seems a bit conventional to have Karl. We could have had a quirky character man leasing role, and instead they gave the part to a handsome leading man. That already turns me off from the show. Like, oh, we need him to be conventionally handsome for us to care about him?!

ALittleFallofRain Profile Photo
ALittleFallofRain
#32Groundhog Day WIN 2 Tix FREE for First Preview
Posted: 2/24/17 at 8:50am

"To be it almost seems a bit conventional to have Karl. We could have had a quirky character man leasing role, and instead they gave the part to a handsome leading man. That already turns me off from the show. Like, oh, we need him to be conventionally handsome for us to care about him?!"

Yeah... I mean, I'm excited to see the show based on what I hear from London, but to be quite honest, it doesn't feel like a moment in history for another handsome, cis, hetero, white man to be redeemed. Of course that's  outside of the scope of his performance -- which I'm sure will be incredible. I have really enjoyed Karl everything I've seen him in.

Updated On: 2/24/17 at 08:50 AM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#33Groundhog Day WIN 2 Tix FREE for First Preview
Posted: 2/24/17 at 11:05am

it doesn't feel like a moment in history for another handsome, cis, hetero, white man to be redeemed.

You're right.  He shouldn't even be auditioning for anything.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

a-mad
#34Groundhog Day WIN 2 Tix FREE for First Preview
Posted: 2/24/17 at 12:13pm

I don't think Andy Karl's looks matter - it's how he portrays Phil Connors that will be the clincher... and based on the London reviews, I'm hopeful he's nailed it.  Phil is a jerk for much of the movie (and I'm guessing the musical as well...) before he goes through his "redemption".  I disagree that a traditionally handsome man shouldn't be cast as such.  Bill Murray, while not a matinee-idol pin-up, was certainly an attractive leading man in this and many other movies in the 80's and 90's.  But I don't necessarily think that the shows creator's main focus was to try and find a musical version of Bill Murray for the stage...

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#35Groundhog Day WIN 2 Tix FREE for First Preview
Posted: 2/24/17 at 12:24pm

On a similar note, does anyone remember the musical version of ARTHUR that was being peddled around back in the late 80s, early 90s (written by the creators of "Friends"Groundhog Day WIN 2 Tix FREE for First Preview? It hit a few regional markets, trying to make it to Broadway; cast in Dudley Moore's role, instead of a comic genius was... Gregg Edelman.

Mister Matt
#36Groundhog Day WIN 2 Tix FREE for First Preview
Posted: 2/24/17 at 12:47pm

OMG...I was just attempting to listen to the demo of Arthur last week.  I got through about two songs before I had to stop.  Despite the vocal talents of Liz Callaway and Harry Groener, it was just awful.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#37Groundhog Day WIN 2 Tix FREE for First Preview
Posted: 2/24/17 at 1:02pm

I didn't even know there was a recording with them, Mister Matt. I saw it with Edelman and Carmello (not yet married) and, even that long ago, thought it was just poisonous.

The music was by the then-husband of "Friends" co-creator Marta Kaufman, Michael Skloff, who had done the music for Off Broadway's Personals (also with Kaufman and David Crane), the theme song for "Friends," and little else of note. He doesn't even have a Wikipedia page.

The Times said it best about Arthur, when David Richards (aka Mr. Leonard Foglia) wrote "The score by Michael Skloff is second-rate Marvin Hamlisch -- and not the Marvin Hamlisch who wrote "A Chorus Line" either, which might be tolerable, but the Marvin Hamlisch who gave us the forgettable "They're Playing Our Song." When Mr. Crane and Ms. Kauffman's lyrics deal with matters of the heart, they tend to be mawkish; when they go for humor, they tend to be moronic."

Mister Matt
#38Groundhog Day WIN 2 Tix FREE for First Preview
Posted: 2/24/17 at 1:07pm

Second-rate Hamlisch is right.  Listening to it reminded me of The Goodbye Girl, but even less memorable (if that's even possible).

Alexander Lamar
#39Groundhog Day WIN 2 Tix FREE for First Preview
Posted: 2/24/17 at 1:08pm

FWIW, I don't find Karl handsome in the least bit.  

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#40Groundhog Day WIN 2 Tix FREE for First Preview
Posted: 2/24/17 at 1:30pm

Mulling the saga of Kaufman and Crane, one realizes that it offers an invaluable lesson to young wannabe writers of entertainment - you just can't underestimate the value of a trust fund. These two wealthy young Philadelphians had the economic freedom to plug away at their writing for about 10 years of little financial success, until finally turning to television with shows like "Dream On" and "Friends."

froote
#41Groundhog Day WIN 2 Tix FREE for First Preview
Posted: 2/24/17 at 1:41pm

I have my issues with the show but Karl's performance isn't one of them. He is absolutely the highlight. 

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#42Groundhog Day WIN 2 Tix FREE for First Preview
Posted: 2/24/17 at 2:27pm

Does anybody know if there is extensive use of projections in the show? 

lindatnyc2 Profile Photo
lindatnyc2
#43Groundhog Day WIN 2 Tix FREE for First Preview
Posted: 3/15/17 at 10:35am

Entered and didn't win. If anyone has an extra ticket to offer a huge Tim Minchin fan, I can be there at last minute's notice. Happy to buy drinks and/or dinner and very good about paying it forward. Thanks.....

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#44Groundhog Day WIN 2 Tix FREE for First Preview
Posted: 3/15/17 at 10:46am

The ocean levels aren't rising due to global warming - it's just my tears that have flooded after reading some of these comments about MR KARL... Groundhog Day WIN 2 Tix FREE for First Preview

This forum REALLY wants GROUNDHOG DAY to fail, huh??

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#45Groundhog Day WIN 2 Tix FREE for First Preview
Posted: 3/15/17 at 10:50am

Right. The forum with one giant brain that has one giant opinion that is coming down very hard on you.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#46Groundhog Day WIN 2 Tix FREE for First Preview
Posted: 3/15/17 at 10:51am

This forum's theme song should be "CHIP ON MY SHOULDER"....

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#47Groundhog Day WIN 2 Tix FREE for First Preview
Posted: 3/15/17 at 11:12pm

And the door would say Drama Club.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt