pixeltracker

Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances- Page 3

Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances

TheaterGal3
#50Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/17/17 at 12:28pm

I sat in the second row upstairs and didn't remember it being labeled partial view when purchased, but at times it is in fact a partial view. Almost everyone stood a few times to get a better view of downstairs during a handful of scenes. It wasn't often but it happened and even at that we couldn't always see the person performing. It didn't really bother me though. It's a good view for most of the show. I didn't have to look between any heads. I'm not tall, but I should note the people in the row in front of me were also on the average size in terms of height. Still, no problems. We ate our pies at a table downstairs and move upstairs about 15 minutes before the show started.

I've never seen a production of Sweeney Todd before and truly loved this one. The actors seemed to be having a great time, too. 

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#51Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/17/17 at 12:47pm

I also have tickets for the 2nd row upstairs. Definitely were not listed as partial view. Kind of irritating because it would have been nice to know that at the time of purchase. Then again, they also were allowing the food purchase for that section at the time. 

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#52Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/17/17 at 12:59pm

Thanks for the info, TheaterGal! I don't mind standing getting out of my seat and standing on occasion. I just feel a little bad because I sold my extra ticket to a friend, and now I have to tell her it's partial view. For myself, I'm just a little disappointed. After all, the price was $69, about half of the regular seats.

boonanas
#53Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/17/17 at 1:11pm

Saw this last night.  Enjoyed the production very much.  I personally thought the film was perfect and if there were any reason for new stage productions it would be this.  Some of the audience members get involved in the musical and its crazy what they did with such little space.  Pretty unforgettable night at the theater.  Pie and mash were also very tasty.

ethan33
#54Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/17/17 at 1:20pm

Hey gang,

I'm unable to go to tomorrow night's show - Feb 18. I've got 2 tix at one of the tables, plus the pie and mash. Anyone want to buy them? Or know someone that's looking for tix? Just looking to recoup the base ticket cost.

CaseyBrent41
#55Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/17/17 at 2:01pm

Seating Chart
Can someone who has seen it tell me where the exits on the floor are located? 

Updated On: 2/17/17 at 02:01 PM

TheaterGal3
#56Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/17/17 at 3:13pm

Do you mean the exit for ticket holders? That exit is near the service counter and the only one used to come and go. If you are facing the service counter the exit is to the left.

Leah Robertson
#57Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/18/17 at 11:32pm

I received an email today explaining the partial view situation and offering a refund. I'm disappointed because I bought these last fall when I could've selected table seating, and of course now those are sold out. We have been looking forward to it though, so we will most likely go anyway. 

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#58Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/18/17 at 11:37pm

The primary thing keeping me away from this production is the notion of a three-person orchestra playing my favorite musical.  To those who have seen it, how does the music sound with these orchestrations?

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#59Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/18/17 at 11:43pm

James2 said: "The primary thing keeping me away from this production is the notion of a three-person orchestra playing my favorite musical.  To those who have seen it, how does the music sound with these orchestrations?"

This is how I feel as well. If it see it, it'll be for Norm and Carolee only. I am tired of reduced Sondheim. Thankfully the current Sunday revival has a full orchestra, two pieces larger than the original. 

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#60Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/18/17 at 11:52pm

I would mind the small band if it was a full scale broadway revival, but because it is an intimate production, it doesn't really bother me.  Also, I hope the performers are not miked. It will be a real treat to hear Norm and Carolee's natural voices.

HSky
#61Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/19/17 at 11:03am

I saw it last night from the rear row on the first level and thought it was very effective immersive staging. If you're at the tables, particularly at the front end by the counter (and especially the center table), you'll definitely get up close and personal with the performers.

It's a small, intimate space and the three piece orchestra sounded fine, although it was my first time seeing a production, so I have no comparison. The performers are miked but not over amplified. 

I'd still like to see the second half of the run, but glad I got a ticket to see the UK cast when it popped up a few days ago. Jeremy Secomb kept a good poker face, which made the depth of emotion pop when a smile crept in or his eyes twinkled - or he bellowed out in rage. Siobhan McCarthy was the perfect match as Mrs. Lovett, and "A Little Priest" got a rousing response. I also thought Joseph Taylor was endearing as Tobias.

Re: earlier questions, they have a windowcard ($20) plus t-shirts, a mug, and magnets. They seat you through the door that is by the pie counter, but for intermission (without spoiling it, I loved how they started up again) and after the show, the other door behind the rear seats also opens.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#62Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/19/17 at 11:17am

I was at last nights performance as well and thought it was overall quite wonderful.  The immersive staging is very clever and the intimacy in some (very positive) ways brings the style of the piece back to its Victorian melodrama roots.  Siobhan McCarthy is the best Mrs. Lovett I've seen since Julia McKenzie in the thrilling RNT production in the 1980s and I thought Jeremy Secomb was effectively real (and frightening) as Sweeney.  The entire production is extremely well sung.

Like the John Doyle production, this small cast, single setting, story theatre approach becomes a little muddied in the second act (with its quick changing locales and rising body count) and I rather wished there were more of a 'coup de theatre' somewhere towards the end, as by the finale, the show's bag of tricks had rather been emptied -- but there are plenty of imaginative (and some brilliant) touches throughout, and the first act is a total joy.

Are we sure the show was miked? It didn't sound that way to me.

I look forward to revisiting the production with its second cast. I assume Betsy Morgan (excellent) will be departing soon as she is obviously quite pregnant.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”
Updated On: 2/19/17 at 11:17 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#63Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/19/17 at 11:19am

Has anyone here sat in terms FRONT row upstairs?  Are there any actors that go up thete?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#64Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/19/17 at 11:23am

I was on the floor (and I would strongly encrourage being on the floor if possible) but there were some moments when the actors did indeed go up on the second level.

boonanas
#65Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/19/17 at 11:23am

There is a moment when a character does go up to the balcony.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#66Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/19/17 at 11:25am

The orchestration by the way was perfect for this concept of the show. SWEENEY to me is the only Sondheim piece that can work with a cast of ten or a cast of fifty (and orchestration reduced or enlarged accordingly).

sondmon
#67Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/19/17 at 11:33am

I remember reading an article saying that it is not miked. not sure where it is now.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#68Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/19/17 at 11:48am

There are a couple of moments that have some 'enhanced' special effect sound - like when Sweeney and Mrs. Lovett are searching for Toby in the second Act, but most of these happened when the actors were off stage.  I think its possible there could be a couple of area mikes on the set (for this purpose) - they could also have been pre-recorded,  but it did not sound (or look) to me like anyone was wearing a mic at any other time, and hearing the clear clean unamplified vocals was definitely a highlight of this staging

sondmon
#69Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/19/17 at 11:50am

can anyone comment on what parts were cut? Is the Ballad still there?

broadwayboy222 Profile Photo
broadwayboy222
#70Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/19/17 at 11:52am

@macnyc so the partial view seats are 69.00? 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#71Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/19/17 at 12:00pm

Nothing is cut. The show uses the revised lyrics Sondheim crafted for Doyle's production (during "God That's Good"Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances since there is no grand reveal of a new barber chair, but that is the only change I noticed. The Judge's "Johanna" is here as is the "Beggar Woman's Lullabye."  The tooth pulling section of "Pirrelli's Miracle Elixir" was cut long ago and naturally doesn't appear here.

Anshel2 Profile Photo
Anshel2
#72Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/19/17 at 12:37pm

Does the window card reference the cast or is it generic 

HSky
#73Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/19/17 at 1:18pm

QueenAlice said: "I think its possible there could be a couple of area mikes on the set (for this purpose) - they could also have been pre-recorded,  but it did not sound (or look) to me like anyone was wearing a mic at any other time, and hearing the clear clean unamplified vocals was definitely a highlight of this staging."

You're probably right, area mics would make sense, and most of the moments that would require them were offstage. I didn't clearly notice body mics, either, but there was a house right moment with Brad Oscar and Duncan Smith that made me wonder if there was a minimal level. I wish I could recall exactly what it was that made me think that.

Regardless, everything was crisp and clear.

boonanas
#74Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 2/19/17 at 2:47pm

Anshel2 said: "Does the window card reference the cast or is it generic 

"

It mentions the cast... I have a picture of it but I'm not sure how to post it to the board