pixeltracker

Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances- Page 8

Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances

Addison D. Profile Photo
Addison D.
#175Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/14/17 at 4:34pm

"To move your tickets to a future performance with availability, please call us at 866 811 4111 with your date of choice in mind. To view performance availability, you may access the calendar and seating chart on the Barrow Street Theatre website. If you are unable to attend an alternate date, please let us know and we will kindly refund your tickets."

You think, what do you want? You think, make a decision...
Updated On: 3/14/17 at 04:34 PM

JustAnotherNewYorker
#176Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/14/17 at 4:40pm

Addison D. said: "I am not happy.  Just got the email on this.

I don't want replacement tix--I *already* have tix for Norm/Carolee.

It's not even a foot of snow

>grumble grumble grumble<
"

My experience is that they are relatively accommodating if they can be. Why not send them an email--maybe they can find some cancellation seats before the cast changover. It's worth at least telling them that you are one of those who want to see the London cast.

jonlow09
#177Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/15/17 at 4:27pm

sondmon said: "has anyone won the todaytix lottery? Are they just giving those partial view seats in the last row?

"

Also curious about this. Anyone?

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#178Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/15/17 at 4:37pm

I wish they did but they really can't. They sold the second row mezz last fall as full view seats priced at $69. Heck those were the seats my friends and I bought since we had never paid more than $80 for an off-bway show.

i recall most of those seats were gone within 1-2 weeks.

i really don't know which seats the theater is giving the lottery winners.

Addison D. Profile Photo
Addison D.
#179Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/18/17 at 3:44pm

JustAnotherNewYorker said:
My experience is that they are relatively accommodating if they can be. Why not send them an email--maybe they can find some cancellation seats before the cast changover. It's worth at least telling them that you are one of those who want to see the London cast.

I did, in fact, write to them and received a very nice note from them this morning which said, in part:

"We do release seats a few days before performance (usually 4 days). that usually happens around 12 noon."

They noted that there were good seats available for this coming Tues & Wed (which was definitely NOT the case when I looked for tix on Tuesday night) I went to the site and was able to get tix right at the Pie Counter.  Wooh!

You think, what do you want? You think, make a decision...

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#180Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/25/17 at 5:28pm

Can anyone tell me the approximate running time of this?  TIA

OF COURSE, right after hitting "post" I found it on the website.  (rolling eyes at myself)

IS 2:45 accurate?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 3/25/17 at 05:28 PM

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#181Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/25/17 at 6:00pm

Yes! 2:45 is accurate. When I went to see the show, it started at around 7:34pm (official scheduled time was 7:30pm) and we were outside the theater with our jackets on by 10:16pm. 

Leah Robertson
#182Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/29/17 at 7:58am

I saw the show last night from my second row partial view seats that weren't marked partial view when I purchased them. The view was fine. I had no trouble seeing all of the main action. I would recommend other seats though to anyone purchasing in the future. I sort of felt like I was watching the people below me have a fabulous time that I wasn't quite a part of, if that makes sense. 

The show itself was really, really good. If I lived in New York, I'd go again and get seats at the counter on the floor. I think those would be ideal, allowing you to see all the action without twisting and to still feel a part of it, but also with a little buffer between you and the actors.

frik
#183Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 3/29/17 at 8:08am

I managed to get good seats (I'm pretty sure) for the last week of April. They had not been on sale that long, so I thought it would be fun to go for the table seats: seats E10 and E11. 
Now by that time Norm Lewis and Carolee Carmello will have taken over the leads and as I'm not familiar with either performer, I can't wait to hear audience reactions. I'm sure I'll be reading them here first.
(Almost) being part of the show sounds like a lot of fun...but I'm glad my seat is a bit towards the rear....Think I'll be safe there....

sk

pnewelljr
#184Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 4/6/17 at 3:39pm

frik said: "I managed to get good seats (I'm pretty sure) for the last week of April. They had not been on sale that long, so I thought it would be fun to go for the table seats: seats E10 and E11. 
Now by that time Norm Lewis and Carolee Carmello will have taken over the leads and as I'm not familiar with either performer, I can't wait to hear audience reactions. I'm sure I'll be reading them here first.
(Almost) being part of the show sounds like a lot of fun...but I'm glad my seat is a bit towards the rear....Think I'll be safe there....
"

When does the cast change again?

frik
#185Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 4/6/17 at 3:56pm

Next week: April 11.
Hope to read about it here!!

sk

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#186Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 4/6/17 at 4:12pm

I originally purchased second-row mezzanine tickets, and I was able to upgrade to floor seats (way on the side) for the same performance. I've been watching the Sweeney tour recording that starred Angela Lansbury and George Hearn. Now I'm kind of dreading seeing Sweeney from up close in a small space. It really is quite gruesome! (I did see the original Broadway cast eons ago, but I don't remember much from that production.)

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#187Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 4/6/17 at 4:33pm

frik said: "Now by that time Norm Lewis and Carolee Carmello will have taken over the leads and as I'm not familiar with either performer, I can't wait to hear audience reactions. I'm sure I'll be reading them here first."

I'm CERTAIN you won't be disappointed. Norm Lewis has an astonishing voice, is an excellent actor (and is known as one of the nicest guys around). Carolee Carmello has had the distinction of getting accolades in horrible shows. (Lestat, the Kathy Lee musical, Addams Family...) and is also very well-regarded.

We've got the first two seats in row C (in front of the counter) facing center, so I'm sure we'll be in the action. (I've been warned, as a bald man, to watch out for Toby during the Pirelli scene.)

JustAnotherNewYorker
#188Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 4/6/17 at 7:08pm

MarkBearSF said: "(I've been warned, as a bald man, to watch out for Toby during the Pirelli scene.)"

Yep. Been there, done that.

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#189Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 4/6/17 at 7:13pm

JustAnotherNewYorker said: "Yep. Been there, done that."

Hopefully it doesn't smell like piss.

Anshel2 Profile Photo
Anshel2
#190Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 4/6/17 at 7:14pm

macnyc said: "I originally purchased second-row mezzanine tickets, and I was able to upgrade to floor seats (way on the side) for the same performance. I've been watching the Sweeney tour recording that starred Angela Lansbury and George Hearn. Now I'm kind of dreading seeing Sweeney from up close in a small space. It really is quite gruesome! (I did see the original Broadway cast eons ago, but I don't remember much from that production.)

"

No need to worry - it isn't particularly gruesome or bloody.  You'll be fine.

aimeric
#191Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 4/6/17 at 9:05pm

MarkBearSF said: "JustAnotherNewYorker said: "Yep. Been there, done that."

Hopefully it doesn't smell like piss.

"

Weirdly, it didn't, which was a bit disappointing, because I kinda wanted to know what piss and ink smells like.  But then again, I'm not a bald man, so I didn't have anything to lose if it did.   Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances   I actually thought I caught a whiff of minty freshness from it, but maybe that was an actor's cologne or something (did I mention you're /really/ close to them...? ).

I thought this production was so much fun, great performances and pretty unnerving if you're in the "splash zone" (aka the front seats on the front benches).  Loved the whole cast, especially Siobhan McCarthy as Lovett and Jeremy Secomb as Sweeney.  The latter spent the whole show doing such an intensely intense job of looking intense that we joked that it was like he was doing an impression of Javert playing Sweeney Todd in a community theatre production.  And oddly enough, we meant that as a compliment.  :)

pnewelljr
#192Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 4/7/17 at 3:43pm

Are there any valid discount codes for this show?

pnewelljr
#193Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 4/9/17 at 2:54pm

I just saw this last night (last minute cancellation), and I don't have much to say about the production itself that hasn't been said 10 times over (it was wonderful, as well as my first time seeing Sweeney ever). I did want to point out a few tips, and things I did not realize going in. I made a seating chart that will hopefully help people understand how this is staged better than I understood it going in.

The letter grades are how "in the action" you will feel during the show. This is obviously based on my opinions/observations, as I have not actually sat in every seat. I was in an "E" rated seat.

What was not clear, is where the STAGE is, is where 80% of the action takes place. Another 15% takes place on top of the tables. 5% takes place between the tables section and the back counters (E counters). If you want to feel really like you are part of the story that is going on, pick an A seat.

Also, to corroborate with those who felt like they were "watching other people have a good time" when seated in the upstairs. I overheard multiple people mentioning the same sentiment. After taking a look up there, I can see why. If you are considering an upstairs seat, spend $15 more and get a twisting seat. It'll be worth every penny.

All that to say, if you just want to take in the production but not be part of it, the E counters had a wonderful view (although I would have picked 1st row E counter instead if I had the choice). This feels in ways the equivalent of 1st and 2nd row seats at an in the round production (so perfect views).

Updated On: 4/9/17 at 02:54 PM

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#194Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 4/9/17 at 10:21pm

A friend posted a pic from tonight's performance. Sondheim is there with his husband to see the final night of the London cast. In the photo, he was eating pies and mash at what appears to be a counter seat.

tipstosaveonbroadway Profile Photo
tipstosaveonbroadway
#195Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 4/9/17 at 10:25pm

pnewelljr said: "I just saw this last night (last minute cancellation), and I don't have much to say about the production itself that hasn't been said 10 times over (it was wonderful, as well as my first time seeing Sweeney ever). I did want to point out a few tips, and things I did not realize going in. I made a seating chart that will hopefully help people understand how this is staged better than I understood it going in.

The letter grades are how "in the action" you will feel during the show. This is obviously based on my opinions/observations, as I have not actually sat in every seat. I was in an "E" rated seat.

What was not clear, is where the STAGE is, is where 80% of the action takes place. Another 15% takes place on top of the tables. 5% takes place between the tables section and the back counters (E counters). If you want to feel really like you are part of the story that is going on, pick an A seat.

Also, to corroborate with those who felt like they were "watching other people have a good time" when seated in the upstairs. I overheard multiple people mentioning the same sentiment. After taking a look up there, I can see why. If you are considering an upstairs seat, spend $15 more and get a twisting seat. It'll be worth every penny.

All that to say, if you just want to take in the production but not be part of it, the E counters had a wonderful view (although I would have picked 1st row E counter instead if I had the choice). This feels in ways the equivalent of 1st and 2nd row seats at an in the round production (so perfect views).

Thank you so much for this informative post! All the work that you put in was extremely helpful. We got 3 tickets for August. Can't wait!

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#196Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 4/9/17 at 11:35pm

MarkBearSF said: "A friend posted a pic from tonight's performance. Sondheim is there with his husband to see the final night of the London cast. In the photo, he was eating pies and mash at what appears to be a counter seat."

I was there as well and indeed Sondheim and his husband were in attendance. Sondheim sat in the red E square. Perfect view though he probably didn't see the beggar woman when she went up to the mezz area for one part. 

I wish the London cast the very best! Other people in attendance tonight were the owners of the Harrington's pie shop in London and most if not all the creative team. Michael Xavier and Fred Johanson from Sunset Blvd were there as well ... oh and Matthew Broderick! I'm sure there must be other celebrities in the house as well but those are the ones I was able to recognize.

I'm seeing this show again later in the summer and am sitting on one of the grey D seats wayy to the left and looking forward to it! I think you'd still feel part of the action if you're sitting there. No twisting. Full view. 

ItsJavert Profile Photo
ItsJavert
#197Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 4/10/17 at 1:21am

Thanks for the detailed recommendation! I have already purchased a ticket and I'm lucky to find I happened to have an A seat!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#198Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 4/10/17 at 5:21am

So glad I caught this... I was in C1, bought them on day one, and without spoiling anything, in case it is part of the regular blocking that Norm will do as well... it was VERY interactive at a VERY pivotal scene, heh. Performances great all around. And the veggie pie was great, too.

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#199Sweeney Todd Off Broadway Performances
Posted: 4/10/17 at 10:33am

haterobics said: "So glad I caught this... I was in C1, bought them on day one, and without spoiling anything, in case it is part of the regular blocking that Norm will do as well... it was VERY interactive at a VERY pivotal scene, heh. Performances great all around. And the veggie pie was great, too."

YAY - We're C1 & C2.