pixeltracker

Worst Theatre Audience of my life (Joke Post check my latest post on the 3r- Page 2

Worst Theatre Audience of my life (Joke Post check my latest post on the 3r

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#27Worst Theatre Audience of my life
Posted: 2/25/17 at 8:33am

My biggest pet peeve at theatre has always been people leaving at curtain call.  I will go as far as to not let someone by who is leaving my aisle.  I feel very strongly that the actors who have worked so hard to entertain you deserve that moment and it's an opportunity for the audience to show their appreciation.

that being said, I had a unique experience at a play last night where the woman next to me and I chatted pre-play about the background of the playwright, actors, etc and immediately after the lights went down, her head went down and she was fast asleep and except for a moment or two where she appeared to open her eyes, she slept the entire time!  Luckily no snoring and I almost wanted to elbow her but since she wasn't disturbing anyone, so I let her sleep...I suppose if you go to enough shows, you'll see everything.  

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#28Worst Theatre Audience of my life
Posted: 2/25/17 at 1:19pm

mc1227 said: "My biggest pet peeve at theatre has always been people leaving at curtain call.  I will go as far as to not let someone by who is leaving my aisle."

What a truly dumb and stupid thing to do. You have no idea why they might have to leave before the curtain call. I know one instance when I had to do it because the cancer drugs I was taking  had shortened my times needing to go to the bathroom and a particularly long second act had tested that. As much as I hated to do it I had to run as soon as the show ended. There a great many other legitimate excuses for people to do the same. For you to block their way because you know better is rude and ignorant.

Updated On: 2/25/17 at 01:19 PM

South Fl Marc
#29Worst Theatre Audience of my life
Posted: 2/25/17 at 1:19pm

Updated On: 2/25/17 at 01:19 PM

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#30Worst Theatre Audience of my life
Posted: 2/25/17 at 1:35pm

People can be in a rush to go to the restroom and they were respectful to wait until the end to avoid an inconvenient moment. The audience was awful also when I saw "Comet" but the show is soooo bad, I didn't even care. Unfortunately people don't get why they need to put their cell phones away. 

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

cjmclaughlin10
#31Worst Theatre Audience of my life
Posted: 2/25/17 at 3:42pm

I recently had to leave before the curtain call for the first time and felt terrible about it. I was getting one if the last trains back to Long Island before it got to be too late and I didn't want my ride to come get me from the train station at 1AM   I tried to buy a ticket for the matinee if this show so it wouldent be a problem, but they were sold out so I bought one in the back of the balcony on the Isle, waited for the lights to go down on the final scene and made my smooth and hopefully inconspicuous exit

just a reminder that not all theatre goers live in the city and are at the mercy of Public Transit scheduals. What I hate is when people leave early for the sole purpose of getting a good spot at the Stage Door

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#32Worst Theatre Audience of my life
Posted: 2/25/17 at 3:57pm

I certainly don't want to start a 'them and us' situation but I go to the theatre often in Australia-Brisbane/Sydney/Melbourne/Adelaide and I can't remember when I last heard a mobile ring, saw txting or experienced bad audience behaviour. Staying to applaud[except for urgent exceptions] is part of the show[was blown away how Matilda did their bows].

Maybe I have just been lucky all these years--may it continue, but I DO blame a lot of people behaviour on the subliminal influence of television.

mailhandler777
#33Worst Theatre Audience of my life
Posted: 2/25/17 at 4:37pm

mc1227 said: "My biggest pet peeve at theatre has always been people leaving at curtain call.  I will go as far as to not let someone by who is leaving my aisle."

You have no clue why the person is leaving and to prevent them is rude and stupid. I've only ever left during curtain call once in about 600 shows but if you blocked me trying to get out you would be knocked on your a**.

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)
Updated On: 2/25/17 at 04:37 PM

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#34Worst Theatre Audience of my life
Posted: 2/25/17 at 5:52pm

mailhandler777 said: "mc1227 said: "My biggest pet peeve at theatre has always been people leaving at curtain call.  I will go as far as to not let someone by who is leaving my aisle."

You have no clue why the person is leaving and to prevent them is rude and stupid. I've only ever left during curtain call once in about 600 shows but if you blocked me trying to get out you would be knocked on your a**.

If 2 or more people with M&M shopping bags decide to sit through an entire show and then suddenly want to beat the crowd to the exit, they are not disturbing me to do it.  They can leave by going out the other side of the aisle.  If they want to take me down, they are coming with me.  Sorry, it's rude and if they truly have an emergency they should exit before curtain call, not right in the middle of it.  

"

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#36Worst Theatre Audience of my life
Posted: 2/25/17 at 10:10pm

mc1227 said: "If 2 or more people with M&M shopping bags decide to sit through an entire show and then suddenly want to beat the crowd to the exit, they are not disturbing me to do it.  They can leave by going out the other side of the aisle.  If they want to take me down, they are coming with me.  Sorry, it's rude and if they truly have an emergency they should exit before curtain call, not right in the middle of it. "

So they should leave during the show instead of after it?

I'm truly failing to see your logic. Let people leave if they want/need to leave. 

jimmycurry01
#37Worst Theatre Audience of my life
Posted: 2/26/17 at 12:31pm

You left during the curtain call, and you have the gall to complain about the rudeness of others? Get bent.

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#38Worst Theatre Audience of my life
Posted: 2/26/17 at 1:22pm

Sorry if you don't like my answer or attitude, just being honest.  I tolerate all the rudeness of people checking text messages, talking, arriving late, rustling candy wrappers and yes, even watching two people actually sitting on the edge of the stage taking selfies during intermission yesterday, but I draw the line at leaving while actors take taking their bows.  Hopefully, you will never sit in my row and have one of those "emergencies" that suddenly come up during curtain call.

smidge
#39Worst Theatre Audience of my life
Posted: 2/26/17 at 1:48pm

Hopefully someone will have to leave your row and then you attempt to physically block them. I can't imagine it ending well for you.

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#40Worst Theatre Audience of my life
Posted: 2/26/17 at 4:00pm

smidge said: "Hopefully someone will have to leave your row and then you attempt to physically block them. I can't imagine it ending well for you.

It's happened twice already and I can only hope these people learned something and never did it again.  I'm still standing, btw.

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#42Worst Theatre Audience of my life
Posted: 2/26/17 at 4:45pm

I didn't make a spectacle, I simply said that they would have to go out the other way.  No fuss or fighting occurred.  They simply exited the other way and people on the other side accommodated them, I didn't and won't in the future since that part of the show is very important to me and my experience.  I didn't really think it was a big deal but some of you seem to think it's criminal.  Whatever...

South Fl Marc
#43Worst Theatre Audience of my life
Posted: 2/26/17 at 5:22pm

I know I would push your smug, arrogant ass out of the way if you did it to me.

Margo319
#44Worst Theatre Audience of my life
Posted: 2/26/17 at 5:56pm

I love the now escalating threat of physical violence of this already weird thread.....I just hope you guys never meet at a show.  But if you do, post about it on BWW!

StephieElise
#45Worst Theatre Audience of my life
Posted: 2/26/17 at 10:10pm

SweetLips said: "I certainly don't want to start a 'them and us' situation but I go to the theatre often in Australia-Brisbane/Sydney/Melbourne/Adelaide and I can't remember when I last heard a mobile ring, saw txting or experienced bad audience behaviour. Staying to applaud[except for urgent exceptions] is part of the show[was blown away how Matilda did their bows].

Maybe I have just been lucky all these years--may it continue, but I DO blame a lot of people behaviour on the subliminal influence of television.
"

Alas, I have seen poor theatre etiquette here in Melbourne. At Lea Salonga's concert just a couple of weeks ago we had to ask the woman next to us to put her phone away because the light was so distracting. I've also experienced people who need to discuss every aspect of the show with their companion. It's not very common and I haven't witnessed anything horrendous (admittedly I'm usually in the front row to minimise distractions), but it does happen. I've never had anyone rush out before curtain call, although stage door's generally not as common here (we're sometimes the only ones there!) and more people are probably driving in than in New York. 

I agree though, the curtain call is a big part of the fun and if you run out early you can miss some amazing moments. My personal favourite curtain call was Strictly Ballroom - getting to dance on stage at Her Majesty's and hearing Loren Hunter's incredible vocals!

Grace Omalley
#46Worst Theatre Audience of my life
Posted: 2/26/17 at 11:39pm

Ok, I agree the initial post was bogus.

Late August I saw Wicked. So very many, many people were constantly getting up- I can only guess to use the restrooms. OK, I understand that happens, but this was a CONSTANT exodus of the theater during the performance. My enjoyment of viewing was SO VERY distracted by the door to my left constantly opening & closing! This was absolutely non stop & it was not just children that needed to go potty, lots of adults too. Did they not know to use the facilities BEFORE the show begins? The light seeping in from the open door detracted from the shows enjoyment.

During the same show, a gentleman sitting about 5-6 seats to my left, pulled out his Chinese food & ate it all during intermission!! I guess I should be greatful it was during intermission and NOT during the show! Intermission over, doors closed, now the food aroma is trapped. Simply not pleasant! Now the potty breaks start up again, food smell alternated to slightly disapating when doors opened, to overtly cloying when the doors shut.

PLEASE make sure to use the restrooms BEFORE attending any show & for heavens sake, do NOT eat your meal in the theater! A quiet non smelly snack is ok. Go to lunch or dinner BEFORE or AFTER the theater!

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#48Worst Theatre Audience of my life
Posted: 2/27/17 at 12:27am

South Fl Marc said: "I know I would push your smug, arrogant ass out of the way if you did it to me.

I've read many of your posts and smug and arrogant suit them very well.

Islander_fan
#49Worst Theatre Audience of my life
Posted: 2/27/17 at 4:45am

Teaching others about how to act in the theatre, or to enforce the way one should is not your job. If I were a patron, seeing a show, near you and you stopped me, you know what my takeaway would be if you tried to block me? it wouldn't be "oh, maybe I should learn for next time." It would be, and I am sure that it would be this way for many people (tourists and locals,) What a dick move/ what an asshole that guy was being, something along those lines.  It's not your place to judge, you're not the teacher for proper audience behavior. 

Updated On: 2/27/17 at 04:45 AM

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#50Worst Theatre Audience of my life
Posted: 2/27/17 at 5:32am

Steph----Did you enjoy Dusty?  I saw it 3 times then flew to see it in Adelaide--was even better there and being the final performance the crowd went crazy,

Didn't come down from Brisbane for Lea Salonga and she didn't perform here but friends raved about both her Melbourne and Sydney performances--you were lucky to see her.

I am sure you will be very pleased with this years' selection from The Production Company---might wave to you in the front row !

Ladies in Black is good-would have left out parts but the majority most enjoyable.

StephieElise
#51Worst Theatre Audience of my life
Posted: 2/27/17 at 5:52am

SweetLips said: "Steph----Did you enjoy Dusty?  I saw it 3 times then flew to see it in Adelaide--was even better there and being the final performance the crowd went crazy,

Didn't come down from Brisbane for Lea Salonga and she didn't perform here but friends raved about both her Melbourne and Sydney performances--you were lucky to see her.

I am sure you will be very pleased with this years' selection from The Production Company---might wave to you in the front row !

Ladies in Black is good-would have left out parts but the majority most enjoyable.
"

I loved Dusty!! I mean, really, Amy Lehpamer is incapable of giving a bad performance in anything and I always love John O'Hara too, but I was really impressed with the whole production. I particularly enjoyed Baylie Carson's performance - she is definitely a star in the making! It was really nice seeing TPC do an Aussie show too; I'd love if they did that more frequently! I'm excited for the announcement tomorrow. I've been extremely slack about booking tickets so far this year (only have the final performance of Kinky Boots so far!). I really must get around to booking Ladies in Black and The Full Monty and probably Mormon and Aladdin but I'm feeling a bit meh about both of them (admittedly I've seen BOM), so hopefully TPC has something exciting to offer! 

Disappointing you didn't get to see Lea; she was absolutely amazing and I think vocally the best of the Broadway divas we've had perform in Hamer Hall lately! Will you get to see Sierra when she comes out?

djoko84
#52Worst Theatre Audience of my life
Posted: 2/27/17 at 6:51am

mc1227 said: "My biggest pet peeve at theatre has always been people leaving at curtain call.  I will go as far as to not let someone by who is leaving my aisle.  I feel very strongly that the actors who have worked so hard to entertain you deserve that moment and it's an opportunity for the audience to show their appreciation.

"

Like other people said you don't know why people have to rush out. I have never done it, but many times I have had to run like hell to catch my bus back to Jersey. By blocking someone you're not making any point if they're just going to leave at the other end of the aisle. If anything you look like the jackass.

LxGstv
#53Worst Theatre Audience of my life
Posted: 2/27/17 at 10:51am

djoko84 said: "mc1227 said: "My biggest pet peeve at theatre has always been people leaving at curtain call.  I will go as far as to not let someone by who is leaving my aisle.  I feel very strongly that the actors who have worked so hard to entertain you deserve that moment and it's an opportunity for the audience to show their appreciation.

"

Like other people said you don't know why people have to rush out. I have never done it, but many times I have had to run like hell to catch my bus back to Jersey. By blocking someone you're not making any point if they're just going to leave at the other end of the aisle. If anything you look like the jackass.

"

Not to mention that by forcing people to leave through the other side of the aisle you'll actually be bothering everyone else on that row as well...

Islander_fan said it best, no one will leave thinking "well, that was a valuable lesson, better not do it again"... it will be more along the lines of "what was that persons problem?! It was a fine theater evening up until we tried to leave and someone blocked us"

Olivia11
#54Worst Theatre Audience of my life
Posted: 2/27/17 at 11:42am

mc1227 said: "My biggest pet peeve at theatre has always been people leaving at curtain call.  I will go as far as to not let someone by who is leaving my aisle.  I feel very strongly that the actors who have worked so hard to entertain you deserve that moment and it's an opportunity for the audience to 

"

I have never left a performance before curtain call but if I needed to, for a reason that would not be any of your business, your behavior would not be tolerated. I would have no problem climbing over you and if the heel of my shoe pierced your foot, so be it. 

You  are perceiving yourself to have a right that you don't have. Trying to hold someone somewhere against their will is inappropriate, at best. You are not the theatre police. Your behavior is reprehensible. Stop it (unless you are just talking to sound big, which is my strong suspicion).