pixeltracker

CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews- Page 11

CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews

RW3
#250CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 12:43am

So they couldn't just put Borle in a wig instead of making him shave his head?

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#251CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 12:44am

I can only read about but unfortunately never get to see any of the shows written about on BWW.

How is it that 90% of the people here who have seen Charlie and have been unanimous about the so called 'problems' with the show and the creatives don't see this.

Surely there are some here who have friends in or know someone associated with the show who can help explain why these unpopular decisions were made-----that I would like to read about.

For every decision made there has to be a reason why.

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#252CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 12:46am

So when does this show close?

FrontLtGuy
#253CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 12:47am

SweetLips said: "I can only read about but unfortunately never get to see any of the shows written about on BWW.

How is it that 90% of the people here who have seen Charlie and have been unanimous about the so called 'problems' with the show and the creatives don't see this.

Surely there are some here who have friends in or know someone associated with the show who can help explain why these unpopular decisions were made-----that I would like to read about.

For every decision made there has to be a reason why.

"If it's not evident in the production there's no use tying to figure it out. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#254CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 12:50am

Oh my bad! No wonder I'd prefer the London version. Mendes tends to "darken" things up a bit, which I like. Watching the promo video for London, I actually got excited. O'Brien doesn't strike me as someone with a great sense of design taste. 

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#255CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 12:52am

A quick Google search provided two pieces of information that I found interesting and worth sharing: 

1. Mendes is a producer of the Broadway production, which seems strange. 

2. West End previews were delayed 5 days due to an "unforeseen missing piece of set that was not delivered on time by the contractor," which also seems strange. 

FrontLtGuy
#256CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 12:54am

GreasedLightning said: "A quick Google search provided two pieces of information that I found interesting and worth sharing: 

2. West End previews were delayed 5 days due to an "unforeseen missing piece of set that was not delivered on time by the contractor," which also seems strange. 

"

Neither of the things you listed are that strange. You'd be surprised!

for whatever reason Sam Mendes did not direct the broadway production does not mean he does not want to make money from it and also support it financially. If the show was a hit he would still benefit.

and scenery is delayed all the time. I'm telling you this from the inside. I've done a show that didn't get a piece of scenery until opening night 

Updated On: 3/30/17 at 12:54 AM

GreasedLightning
#257CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 12:55am

FrontLtGuy said: "GreasedLightning said: "A quick Google search provided two pieces of information that I found interesting and worth sharing: 

"

Neither of the things you listed are that strange. You'd be surprised!

"

OK. Just thought I'd share. 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#258CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 12:58am

Mendes' statement on why he's not directing:

“I loved directing Charlie And The Chocolate Factory and I’m really proud it’s having such great run at Drury Lane. But I knew I couldn’t marry the time commitment to make a Broadway production with the development of my next projects for Neal Street. So instead I’m continuing to serve as a producer as the show evolves for its new life in the U.S. Caro Newling and I hugely enjoy being part of the Warner Bros. Theatre Ventures team and look forward to this next installment. As such, I’m involved in the process of handing over the keys to the factory and look forward to announcing further news early 2016.”

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#259CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 12:58am

Hm. I doubt he's a financial producer, no? I mean the show flopped in London, so why would he assume it'd be a hit here? 

I'm just so curious why they went so cheap with this. It's mindnumbing. This show should be magical. It's like when I saw Finding Neverland and you could see stage hands bringing the set on and off. Like, wtf. Where is the magic?

FrontLtGuy
#260CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 1:00am

RippedMan said: "Hm. I doubt he's a financial producer, no? I mean the show flopped in London, so why would he assume it'd be a hit here? 

I'm just so curious why they went so cheap with this. It's mindnumbing. This show should be magical. It's like when I saw Finding Neverland and you could see stage hands bringing the set on and off. Like, wtf. Where is the magic?

"

Lol what is a non-financial producer???

ntrackbar Profile Photo
ntrackbar
#261CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 1:01am

WhizzerMarvin said: "Borle is bald in act one because Wonka has gone undercover in the town to run a candy shop and find his true successor. He befriends Charlie and they spend their afternoons together watching TV and talking chocolate."

what. 

GreasedLightning
#262CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 1:02am

His statement makes sense. I just think with a new creative team, a newly envisioned design and an entirely different production (in addition to RippedMan's point above) I wouldn't have expected Mendes to serve as producer. That's what I thought was strange. 

But apparently my opinion is wrong. 

Updated On: 3/30/17 at 01:02 AM

GreasedLightning
#263CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 1:02am

ntrackbar said: "WhizzerMarvin said: "Borle is bald in act one because Wonka has gone undercover in the town to run a candy shop and find his true successor. He befriends Charlie and they spend their afternoons together watching TV and talking chocolate."

what. 

"

LMFAO! 

FrontLtGuy
#264CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 1:04am

GreasedLightning said: "His statement makes sense. I just think with a new creative team, a newly envisioned design and an entirely different production (in addition to RippedMan's point above) I wouldn't have expected Mendes to serve as producer. That's what I thought was strange. 

But apparently my opinion is wrong. 

"

the easiest way to stay connected to a project is to pay for some of it! 

GreasedLightning
#265CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 1:07am

I guess my point is why would he want to stay connected to a project that he is moving on from, so much so as to become a producer on it. Especially if it's one that he knows nothing about (speaking of the new production here) and is, apparently and ultimately, a disappointment to its viewers. 

And if he IS closely involved, then why hasn't he stepped in creatively and given some advice to the new creative team on how to improve on this hot mess...

Updated On: 3/30/17 at 01:07 AM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#266CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 1:09am

ntrackbar said: "WhizzerMarvin said: "Borle is bald in act one because Wonka has gone undercover in the town to run a candy shop and find his true successor. He befriends Charlie and they spend their afternoons together watching TV and talking chocolate."

what. 

"

Oh, this sounds like a totally necessary development in a story that already has like twenty principal characters. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#267CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 1:10am

I guess I meant more like an "executive producer" on TV, where they might have some creative input, etc. But I guess that's not how theatre works, ha. 

FrontLtGuy
#268CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 1:10am

GreasedLightning said: "I guess my point is why would he want to stay connected to a project that he is moving on from, so much so as to become a producer on it. Especially if it's one that he knows nothing about (speaking of the new production here) and is, apparently and ultimately, a disappointment to its viewers. 

And if he IS closely involved, then why hasn't he stepped in creatively and given some advice to the new creative team on how to improve on this hot mess...

"

My guess would be that based on the longer run it's had in the UK, if the show has the same success here he will receive a nice check in the mail every week, and why wouldn't you want that? I doubt he cares about the show anymore and has moved on to others that he is actually present for. I don't think there is much emotional attachment when you have multiple new projects on your plate 

who knows? Maybe he secretly hated the material and it was rough for him in London...but still, I'll take a weekly!

Updated On: 3/30/17 at 01:10 AM

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#269CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 1:11am

Wonka has gone undercover in the town to run a candy shop and find his true successor.

Doesn't this defeat the entire point of him inviting people to the factory for this reason????????

hamiltonboys
#270CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 1:14am

Willy Wonka goes undercover to watch TV and talk chocolate with Charlie? And he's bald?

Veruca does a ballet with dancing squirrels before getting shredded to pieces by them? And her limbs and decapitated head are brought back on stage?

The chocolate room is a 10x10 platform on an empty stage?

LMFAO this show has moved to the top of my must-see list

Updated On: 3/30/17 at 01:14 AM

brian1973
#271CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 1:16am

Er duh, so he can make money from it? It's pretty simple.

though by the sounds of it, that may not happen here now!

oh and also he's busy rehearsing a new play in London 

Updated On: 3/30/17 at 01:16 AM

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#272CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 1:17am

I can't wait to see this trainwreck!!

How has the audience's response been in the theatre?

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#273CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 1:17am

Surely everyone involved in this realized that the Chocolate Room had to be absolutely spectacular. Like, surely it is understood that everyone potentially driving a core audience for this show wants to see that. What the hell. 

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#274CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 1:28am

The idea of Wonka meeting up with Charlie outside of the factory is somehow worse than the shoehorned backstory the Burton remake gave to the character. 

By the sound of it, it seems like the creative team has completely missed the mark on what made both the book and the Wilder film work.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.