WAR PAINT Reviews

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#25WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 9:57pm

GreasedLightning said: "PS - ljay, THANK YOU for giving some depth to the review links."

Retweet.

BroadwayConcierge
#26WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 10:03pm

Brantley is in, and I believe is positive (reading quickly): https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/06/theater/review-war-paint-patti-lupone-christine-ebersole.html

Edit: Brantley raves about LuPone and Ebersole, but is a bit more restrained on the show itself.

Updated On: 4/6/17 at 10:03 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#27WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 10:07pm

Yes, he gave another rave to the ladies, but definitely mixed on aspects of the show. Unfortunately he didn't make it a  critic's pick. 

Updated On: 4/6/17 at 10:07 PM

EvanK Profile Photo
EvanK
#28WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 10:10pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Brantley is in, and I believe is positive (reading quickly): https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/06/theater/review-war-paint-patti-lupone-christine-ebersole.html

Edit: Brantley raves about LuPone and Ebersole, but is a bit more restrained on the show itself.

"

And I quote, from Brantley:

"So, though my eyes occasionally glazed seeing “War Paint” for the second time, I wouldn’t have missed it, if only to hear its leading ladies’ climactic ballads. Ms. LuPone has an ardently sung tribute to the preservative powers of narcissism, during which a gallery of Rubinstein’s portraits by famous artists materializes behind her."

Eyes glazing is definitely the quote they should pull... 

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#29WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 10:13pm

So locked for a Best Musical nom then.

BroadwayConcierge
#30WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 10:15pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "So locked for a Best Musical nom then."

I wouldn't say that (and I'd actually argue the opposite). The only thing these reviews did for me was "lock" both LuPone and Ebersole for nominations.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#31WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 10:15pm

Exactly what I was expecting from Brantley. Thank you ljay for actually posting quotes from the reviews! I was at rehearsal and it made this so much easier. 

Overall the reviews were very positive. Anyone doubting that both LuPone & Ebersole will both be nominated are kidding themselves. Depending on reviews for GROUNDHOG DAY, BANDSTAND & ANASTASIA I think WAR PAINT could be a Best Musical nominee. Just from word of mouth I can't see the the reviews for BANDSTAND & GROUNDHOG DAY being much better. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Mike66
#32WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 10:18pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "So locked for a Best Musical nom then.

"

Yeah, I think the reviews and the star power make this a prohibitive bet for a nomination. 

So that makes (in no order) -- DEH, Comet, Come From, and WarPaint.  One more slot out there.

Wouldn't it be interesting if it turned out to be Bronx Tale?  It deserves something for surprising everyone (me too) with how well it has done.

BroadwayConcierge
#33WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 10:19pm

There are likely only four slots for Best Musical. Four has been the precedent for a long time—last year's five nominees was an anomalous circumstance.

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#34WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 10:20pm

Usually only four best Musical nominees, but with how big this year has been, I could see there being five. I mostly believe it'll only be four, with this nabbing the fourth slot.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#35WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 10:20pm

You guys are welcome! Glad you liked the pull quotes. 

I agree, both ladies are clearly going to be nominated, and I would also not be surprised to see it get a Best musical nomination, especially if Groundhog is not well received. I could see it getting a nomination in the same vein as "The Visit," not having a chance but a nomination honoring the craft and talent of the piece and all involved. 

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#36WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 10:22pm

Agreed. There seems to be a lot of respect for the pedigree of those involved. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Mike66
#37WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 10:25pm

LesWickedly said: "Usually only four best Musical nominees, but with how big this year has been, I could see there being five. I mostly believe it'll only be four, with this nabbing the fourth slot.

If there are four, then it's hard to see anything yet to open crashing the party.  Not saying it couldn't happen, but I just think DEH, Comet (which I hated, but accept that I am in a minority), are sure shots.  And it's hard to argue against CFA and War Paint.  And it's hard to pick a winner among them -- although so far I think I lean to Mr. Hansen.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#38WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 10:31pm

4 stars from The Stage (UK)

Verdict:

Bold musical portrait of two real-life legends starring two Broadway ones

https://www.thestage.co.uk/reviews/2017/war-paint-starring-patti-lupone-christine-ebersole/

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#39WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 10:35pm

Isherwood raves for the ladies, but calls the musical "enjoyable not memorable." 

The magic elixirs are quite plainly the two veteran Broadway stars above the title, Patti LuPone and Christine Ebersole, giving performances of such resplendent force, wit and vivacity that the evening gleams like a freshly applied coat of nail polish catching the light.

http://broadway.news/2017/04/06/review/war-paint-review/

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#40WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 10:57pm

LesWickedly said: "Usually only four best Musical nominees, but with how big this year has been, I could see there being five. I mostly believe it'll only be four, with this nabbing the fourth slot."

No matter what you might "see" - the Tony rules are very clear. The only reason that there would be five nominees is only in the rare situation "in the event that the Accounting Firm determines that the difference in votes between the fourth highest ranked show and the fifth highest ranked show is three votes or less." 

Updated On: 4/6/17 at 10:57 PM

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#41WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 10:59pm

Markbear, that's why I said it'll most likely be four. 

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#42WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 11:02pm

It could still absolutely happen that we have 5 nominees. Amelie is almost definitely out of the game. Groundhog Day next...

MBFan
#43WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 11:16pm

Off-topic I know but I wonder if Patti and Glenn Close ever bump into each other in NYC...

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#44WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 11:24pm

BRANTLEY's review read decidedly mixed...

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

Dollypop
#45WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 11:26pm

These reviews make me wonder if I want to sit through a show about makeup.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#46WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 11:30pm

We're seeing WP on Saturday so I'm excited by the current reviews for the evening. Everyone is so focused on Tony noms but there are still other high profile shows to open; what about Anastasia, Charlie..? Anyway you look at it, this will be a year to measure other years by for both revivals and new musicals. May they all have a shot at decent runs and work for a lot of Broadway talent!

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?
Updated On: 4/6/17 at 11:30 PM

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#47WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 11:55pm

Sit through the show about make up!

It;s not about make up. It's about suceeding in business; the hard choices (both good and bad)  one makes to stay in  business; alienating the people who love you to stay on top  and realizing that your competition who you hate it exactly the same as you.

In my humble opionion the most intellegent and enjoyable musical to open this year. And h0w refreshing to have not one but two stars.

I found Natasha and The Comet an unintelligble  endless  bore in spite of the beautiifully transformed theatre. and exuberance of its cast.  ,  Amelie and Groundhog's Day pretty mediocre.  Dear Evan Handson.. overratated; 

I found the character studies in War Paint of both Rubenstein and Arden by Lupone and Ebersole   fascinating. The acting portrayals spot on. War Paint is everything a Broadway Show should be.  

Okay thats my two cents. Best new musical this year.

Updated On: 4/7/17 at 11:55 PM

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#48WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 12:01am

Small reminder to everyone clamoring about War Paint getting the 4th Best Musical nom due solely to the positive/lukewarm reviews - Brantley didn't even give this a Critics Pick, and his feelings on Groundhog Day are much stronger and more positive about the show as a whole. 

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#49WAR PAINT Reviews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 12:05am

Well he could have a different opinion when he sees in on Broadway as he did with Play That Goes Wrong.