pixeltracker

Top 5 Favorite Theatrical Moments of the 2016-2017 Season- Page 2

Top 5 Favorite Theatrical Moments of the 2016-2017 Season

VintageSnarker
#25Top 5 Favorite Theatrical Moments of the 2016-2017 Season
Posted: 5/27/17 at 2:25am

Falsettos... Stephanie J. Block singing "I'm Breaking Down." I cannot wait for the PBS airing so I can watch it again. It was incredible.

Seeing Sara Bareilles and Will Swenson in Waitress. Just all of it. I can't pick a moment. I've been lucky enough to have some great nights at the theater this year but that was an experience. 

The View Upstairs... Nathan Lee Graham's monologue

Sweet Charity... I want to say the entire sequence in Vittorio's apartment but if I had to pick just one moment, it would be Joel singing "Too Many Tomorrows" so beautifully while Sutton acted the fool (in the best way) eating her sandwich in the closet. 

The Little Foxes... Laura Linney crushing it. That performance was the sum of so many great choices and little moments of brilliance. Every joke landed and I loved the way she communicated unspoken information about Regina. 

Honorable mentions... The Band's Visit, Kid Victory, Sundown Yellow Moon, The New Yorkers, Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812 (though I think of these all as more complete experiences so it's harder to pick out moments or performances.)

Honorable non-theater mentions... Kelli O'Hara's Carnegie Hall solo concert, especially To Build A Home. For the 100th time I kicked myself for not seeing Bridges. Romeo et Juliette at the Metropolitan Opera.

Updated On: 5/27/17 at 02:25 AM

willep
#26Top 5 Favorite Theatrical Moments of the 2016-2017 Season
Posted: 5/27/17 at 10:33am

In no particular order:

1) The Great Comet - as others have said, it's so hard to pick just one moment, I adore the entire show. That being said, I will go with Dave Malloy's "Dust and Ashes". He kind of ruined Josh Groban's version for me. Extra GC mention to the moment when the ensemble joins in that song, from the onstage seats the sight and sound of them in the orchestra and mezzanine was just gorgeous.

2) Hadestown - Patrick Page's "His Kiss, the Riot"...so simple and powerful. I really want them to release the full recording if only to hear his performance of that song again.

3) Beardo - the scene where Beardo is healing the year's son. I thought Damon Duanno was the weak link in Hadestown, but I thought he was terrific in Beardo and in this scene was stunning to me. 

4) Groundhog Day - "Hope". I really enjoyed this show, but this number in particular was terrifically staged and just so much fun to watch.

5) Sweeney Todd - "Epiphany". Sweeney walking the tables and kneeling down in front of me with his razor will not soon be forgotten.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#27Top 5 Favorite Theatrical Moments of the 2016-2017 Season
Posted: 5/27/17 at 2:04pm

1) The 40 piece orchestra of Sunset BLVD. performing the overture.

2) Glenn Close singing "Surrender" in Sunset.

3) Andy Taylor as Sheldrake in Sunset. His entire scene in "Let's Have Lunch".

4) Paul Schoeffler as Demille in Sunset. "Was That Really Norma Desmond".

5) Glenn Close's acting and singing. She's a gem.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#28Top 5 Favorite Theatrical Moments of the 2016-2017 Season
Posted: 5/27/17 at 2:16pm

In no particular order:

1. Ben Platt's and Rachel Bay Jones' performances in DEH especially in Words Fail and So Big/So Small.

2. Honestly all of Hadestown (especially Patrick Page and Amber Gray) and also The Band's Visit

3.  Jake Gyllenhaal's final line delivery on the closing night of Sunday in the Park with George (also that brilliant Chromolume)

4. Bette Midler's entrance at the top of the stairs in Hello, Dolly!

5. The abduction dance in The Great Comet and also the wine glasses being played as Anatole and Natasha kiss

6.  The ending of Falsettos which had me literally bawling uncontrollably.

dianamorales Profile Photo
dianamorales
#29Top 5 Favorite Theatrical Moments of the 2016-2017 Season
Posted: 5/27/17 at 2:19pm

In no particular order (unfortunately I havent seen any plays)-

The helicopter in Miss Saigon. I still get chills thinking about it.

The train and last minute or two of Sunday Clothes from Hello Dolly

Glenn Close performing the telephone scene from Sunset Boulevard

All of Dear Evan Hansen- especially Ben Platt's line delivery in the funnier moments and Sincerely Me.

bear88
#30Top 5 Favorite Theatrical Moments of the 2016-2017 Season
Posted: 5/27/17 at 2:33pm

Nicole 10 wrote: The end of the song "Pierre"where Josh Groban is up front and everyone is holding out a menacing "aaa" behind him over railings, and he cues with his hand in a frustrated fist and the lights go off and the spotlight is on him. It was a striking visual I still can't stop thinking about it.

Lucas and Denee's first kiss in the end of Act I of The Great Comet. The wine glass sounds and the lighting is striking. And the "I will love you anatole" part is something I will never forget! What an amazingly effective closer. 

bwayrose7 wrote: "The Great Comet of 1812". It's hard to describe, exactly, what it feels like when the chorus comes in a cappella, and the lights come on like stars, and by the end, every single person in the theatre is watching the Comet fill the theater with light and hearing the words "blossoming into a new life" as it got brighter and brighter. It was this powerful moment of connection and purity that I don't think I've ever felt in a theater before. Magic.

I only saw two new shows on my New York trip, so I'm not qualified to give a full list of five, but these responses really do match up with my Great Comet reaction. The entire experience of walking into the theatre, marveling at the design, then starting with "Prologue" and "Pierre," ending with the conclusion Nicole 10 describes, the show had me right there. That conclusion of "Pierre," with those unsettling background "aaa"s from the cast behind Groban and his wrapup, is a minor thing, but the lighting and staging creates a fantastic moment in a musical that is really good at creating memorable moments.

And bwayrose7, you've done a more poetic job than I could of describing why the ending worked so well for me. I loved many things about the show, but the visually arresting conclusion elevates the musical with its beauty and hope.   

Alex Kulak2
#31Top 5 Favorite Theatrical Moments of the 2016-2017 Season
Posted: 5/27/17 at 2:35pm

No Order:

5. Trina's face when Jason says "Just because you failed as parents" in Falsettos

4. All of "I'm Breaking Down", also from Falsettos

3. The last minute or so of "You Will Be Found", from Dear Evan Hansen. The vocal arrangement, the "For Forever melody playing counterpoint with the main theme, the sforzando strings at the very end, it's probably one of my new favorite Act One finales

2. "Dust and Ashes", from Great Comet. Good Lord, that song is heartbreaking.

1. When the producers realized that In Transit would never find it's audience and ended the God-Awful show.

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#32Top 5 Favorite Theatrical Moments of the 2016-2017 Season
Posted: 5/27/17 at 3:54pm

1) Being conducted by Dave Malloy while recording the Great Comet cast album.

2) Watching and hearing my students' reactions to Ben Platt's performance.

3) Stephanie J. Block "Breaking Down"

4) "Put on Your Sunday Clothes" - the definition of joy

5) The "very long line" in Indecent.

Updated On: 5/27/17 at 03:54 PM

sing_dance_love Profile Photo
sing_dance_love
#33Top 5 Favorite Theatrical Moments of the 2016-2017 Season
Posted: 5/27/17 at 4:20pm

Love this thread! 

5. The final moment of Falsettos. The final use of the block, the cast's pure emotion...it was just a beautifully devastating culmination of the evening. 

4. Metcalfe's last line in A Doll's House Pt. 2 (I mean her whole performance, and especially the scene with Condola, but the last moment was just perfect).

3. "Love Will Come and Find Me Again" in Bandstand. Osnes' vocals are thrilling and it was a moment that just felt "right", it was just SO SATISFYING!

2. Cynthia Nixon's big Act 3 Monologue. What an arc over the evening and it just pays off immeasurably in that moment. One of THE performances of the year.

1. Eva Noblezada's "I'd Give My Life For You". I am such a sucker for this musical, this moment in the show, the orchestration, the earnest passion of the lyric, the soar of the melody...and then she just sounds incredible and I was an actual puddle. 

"...and in a bed."

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#34Top 5 Favorite Theatrical Moments of the 2016-2017 Season
Posted: 5/27/17 at 6:05pm

1. Seeing you from Groundhog Day

2. The overture from Groundhog Day

3. Sara Bareilles riffing the hell out of What Baking Can Do

4. The final scene of Falsettos

5. Sunday from SITPWG

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

canadian fan
#35Top 5 Favorite Theatrical Moments of the 2016-2017 Season
Posted: 5/27/17 at 8:16pm

Great thread.....now lets see, this is tough.

1) Ben Platts performance. Particularly when Rachel Bay Jones is holding him in her arms on the couch while singing so big/so small (I think). He somehow morphs into almost a small delicate childlike personna, so helpless, in tears, someone who needs his mom to be there. Very very moving. 

2) Great comet, Sonyas Alone. Brittain Ashford singing that song gave me chills.

3) DEH, Ben Platt, Words Fail. Such a moving, powerful performance. Don't think I will ever see anything like it again.

4) Great Comet, Letters. The whole cast being involved. Symbolized the entirety of the production for me. Just the quality of all the performers was mesmerizing.

5) Ground Hog Day, Andy Karl, Hope. He finally had a song during the show to let loose. It was a wow moment for sure. 

Updated On: 5/27/17 at 08:16 PM

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#36Top 5 Favorite Theatrical Moments of the 2016-2017 Season
Posted: 5/27/17 at 9:10pm

Only saw five shows from this current season, Come From Away, Dear Evan Hansen, Dolly, Comet and Sunday. I think I chose pretty wisely since those seem to be the favorites of many. I'll choose some from each show.

5. Annaleigh and Jake's overall performances, specifically We Do Not Belong Together, Putting it Together and Move On.

4. Jenn Colella's stunning performance, especially of course Me and the Sky, but also her solos in Somewhere in the Middle of Nowhere.

Astrid Van Wieren also was a standout in the amazing ensemble. Really wish she was given more recognition. Such a captivating performance.

3. GRACE MCLEAN. GRACE MCLEAN. GRACE MCLEAN. What an underrated performance. She commended that theater and was powerful. Truly the whole cast was terrific, but the final moments of Act 1 are thrilling.

2. All of Hello, Dolly was gorgeous and exhilarating. Everything that needs to be said has been said and it will go down as one of, if not, the best revivals ever. Bette is back where she belongs and she is thriving up there.

1. Dear Evan Hansen was a show that I had been waiting for a while to see and it was well worth the wait. Everything about it I loved. The book, score, actors, everything. I truly do not see the problems everybody had with it. It was the first time I ever had chills due to dialogue and the score is memorable and relevant. Ben gave a transcending performance and the Tony is his, no doubt. Witnessing the emotion he put into Words Fail was breathtaking and I saw a matinee, not understanding how he'd be able to do it again in three hours, let alone another few times that week. Rachel is also giving a hell of a performance, dealing with many emotions of sadness, betrayal and hopelessness. So Big/So Small was very subtle, but incredibly passionate and moving. Those two words could be used to describe the show, passionate and moving. 

Overall, it was a fantastic season. To say three of my favorite (original) shows all came from the same season is pretty crazy.