pixeltracker

Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018- Page 6

Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#125Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/15/17 at 10:42pm

Not that this means anything, but for what it's worth...

Lincoln Center announced 2015's The King and I revival in early April 2014. 

Lincoln Center confirmed O'Hara and Watanabe as the leads in very late June 2014. 

Lincoln Center released additional casting in mid-November 2014.

I'm hoping by the end of the month, but it's a crapshoot.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#126Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/15/17 at 10:51pm

God, I really hope they don't go with Sierra.  Her voice is stunning, but her acting is completely uninteresting.  It works for roles like Christine, but Eliza needs charisma.  She's not much of an actress.  Also, yeah, Benanti and Sierra look the same age, but Benanti is more suited for the role.  

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#127Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/16/17 at 12:11am

RippedMan said: "I don't think age really plays much point into the show, so I don't see what all the fuss is about. I'd love to see all the ladies mentioned. It just depends on what kind of comment they want the casting to reflect. They're currently doing a My Fair Lady in Maryland with a black Eliza and a very young, handsome Higgins. It's def sexier than most productions I've seen. 

"

I just got home from a cabaret evening of Lerner and Loewe songs, sung (very, very well) by Leslie Tinaro. She mentioned she first played Eliza when she was 19 and then played the roll off and on for the next 28 years.

That means she played Eliza at 19 and at 47. Myself, I find it unlikely a middle-aged Eliza would be quite so malleable, but that's just my opinion.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#128Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/16/17 at 12:21am

SDV said: "...Couldn't be more bored by the prospect of another pretty white lady playing Eliza.

"

Really? Because there were so many black cockneys in Edwardian England? Because naturally somebody saw a black lady at a ball and announced, "She was born Hungarian!"

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't boycott a black Eliza. I can set verisimilitude aside if the performance is right. But I don't see why a black Eliza is necessarily more interesting.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#129Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/16/17 at 2:21am

Not looking to start another drawn-out discussion about diversity in the theater, but having a non-white Eliza completely changes the play. It is about social class, not race.

That said, I think the diverse Carousel casting is great, because it is inclusive without changing the story. Some dusty old white people shows roll with modern times better than others, unfortunately (although the misogyny in Carousel is a whole other issue).

GeorgeandDot
#130Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/16/17 at 2:32am

^Lol at your comment on "misogyny in Carousel."  I don't find anything purposefully misogynistic about that show other than the culture of the time period that it was set in.  The show is about the complexities of domestic violence and abusive relationships.  What Julie goes through is what a lot of women go through today and what Billy goes through is what a lot of men go through today.  To write that show off as misogynistic is narrow-minded. 

Anyways, I'm all about inclusive casting, but nothing is benefitted by having a black Eliza.  I could only see some undesirable themes being dragged forward by that casting.  Although if a black actress were to give an incredible audition, I hope the color of her skin didn't cost her a chance at playing the role.  Hopefully, women of all color were taken into consideration.

The Distinctive Baritone
#131Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/16/17 at 3:26am

You do realize that there is no such thing as "the best person for the role" or the person who gave "the best audition," right? It's just a matter of who the director (or producers) wants for whatever reason. And trust me, in New York City there are hundreds, maybe even thousands of actresses who could sing and act the role wonderfully. This is not a community theatre production in a small town where the pickin's are slim.

Regarding Carousel, "misogyny" is perhaps not the right word, but I love the show and still find that the handling of the domestic violence issue has not aged well.

froote
#132Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/16/17 at 3:47am

Benanti and Boggess don't look the same age to me.

GeorgeandDot
#133Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/16/17 at 4:17am

^They look like they're roughly the same age.  There isn't enough of an age difference between them to write Benanti off as "too old," and then give the role to Boggess.

Baritone, I was a casting director in NYC for many years before I retired.  I know what I'm talking about.  Let's say that Denee Benton came into the audition room and blew everyone else out of the water.  We would have to really think about the pros and cons of casting a black women in this role.  Also, there is a such thing as the best person.  For this production I would be looking for someone experienced with maybe a recognizable face, a classical voice, and some powerful acting chops.  I would probably also hold an open call and see if we get any new rising stars there.  From there we would wither down the choices to who gave the best audition.  It's really as simple as that.  Although if I were Sher, I would be courting Mrs. Benanti.

Not all productions are like this.  Many involve just a phone call to a major star, but Eliza is a role that requires something special that you may have to go in search for.

Also, about Carousel, the themes about domestic violence have aged well since many women are in the same situation as Julie today.  Domestic violence is a subject that isn't as simple as "he hit you? Leave him then."  Many women have a very hard time falling out of love with their abuser and very few shows portray domestic abuse in such a three dimensional way.

Updated On: 7/16/17 at 04:17 AM

froote
#134Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/16/17 at 4:41am

I personally could easily believe there's 10 years between the two. It's not really about the number age, it's about how they look. I don't think 38 is too old for the part but I think Benanti looks too old for the part. 

GeorgeandDot
#135Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/16/17 at 4:47am

^Yeah, no.  Sorry.

froote
#136Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/16/17 at 4:53am

Good argument. Even on Benanti's social media she jokes that she looked 45 at 22 (I wouldn't go that far but I don't know how anyone can deny that she looks her age). Boggess can pass for 30 when she's not heavily made up, Benanti can pass for 40 = 10 years.

Updated On: 7/16/17 at 04:53 AM

SDV Profile Photo
SDV
#137Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/16/17 at 9:59am

"Really? Because there were so many black cockneys in Edwardian England?"

And there were so many black members of the aristocracy in 19th century Russia. 

Your Denee Benton reference in this thread is particularly bewildering considering the role for which she was Tony nominated.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#138Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/16/17 at 10:58am

We cannot compare The Great Comet to most classical musicals. The intent of the author in TGC is that of a chamber musical story as told by almost a sort of vaudevillian troupe, unlike MFL which is an extremely traditional musical theater where, as GeorgeandDot pointed out - casting a non-white Eliza will tell a story very different from what the author had intended. It is, however, not for us to make the call whether that's acceptable or not. The author's estate or production itself gets a final call, depending on what they left in their will. As an audience member, you can hope for best and not go if a black Eliza hurts your sensibilities. I'll be there, irrespective of who Eliza is, because I trust Bart Sher to deliver a rock solid production.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

BeNice Profile Photo
BeNice
#139Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/16/17 at 11:16am

Updated On: 7/21/17 at 11:16 AM

GeorgeandDot
#140Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/16/17 at 11:26am

BeNice said: "I hope this casting is not true. 

She was panned in Masterclass, mixed to negative in a School of Rock, not worth mentioning in Shoulda Been You, etc etc. She can't act. 

She will be giving her pale Julie Andrews impression she's been rolling out at concerts for years.

There goes their best actress Tony nom and a shot at having an interesting production. 

Unfortunately this is true.  She is not the actress that the role requires.

The Distinctive Baritone
#141Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/16/17 at 12:37pm

But what if she gives "the best audition"? Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018

The best casting choice will always be subjective. How many people who got approved by the director, casting director, and producers in a Broadway show have gotten totally trashed by a critic (or many critics)? A lot. It's subjective. And yes, you could probably walk through the theater district and pass 100 actresses who could do Eliza more or less equally well.

That said, what's NOT subjective is her age. There is literally a line in the script that refers to her age as 21. I like Sierra Boggess, but if she is cast simply because she is a recognizable name to Broadway fans, that's just silly.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#142Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/16/17 at 1:18pm

Please keep in mind that Bartlett Sher worked with opera star Paulo Szot on his acting all throughout previews of South Pacific, which led to him winning the Tony in 2008. He also worked with Ken Watanabe on his diction all throughout previews of The King & I, which led to him receiving a Tony nomination. If Sierra Boggess really is going to play Eliza Doolittle, I think she should be given a chance.

Updated On: 7/16/17 at 01:18 PM

BeNice Profile Photo
BeNice
#143Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/16/17 at 1:22pm

Updated On: 7/21/17 at 01:22 PM

Sunny11
#144Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/16/17 at 1:32pm

This is someone who is a name entirely though her musical theatre work;  not a jersey shore reject.

She will be great.

VintageSnarker
#145Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/16/17 at 1:52pm

Wait, has this actually been confirmed anywhere? I think she's charming in her vlogs and in interviews but no, I've never thought of her as good enough of an actress to meet the demands of playing Eliza. I do think Sher could likely get a stronger performance than normal out of her but other actresses like Lauren Worsham or Laura Michelle Kelly could bring so much more with that same coaching and direction. Also, I'm not sure if physically she looks any more like Eliza than anyone else. 

BeNice Profile Photo
BeNice
#146Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/16/17 at 2:33pm

Updated On: 7/21/17 at 02:33 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#147Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/16/17 at 2:37pm

BeNice said: "Total left turn here: Eva Noblezada would actually be an interesting and good choice. She's lived in London, is actually age appropriate, beautiful, very witty, and is now a Tony nominee. She is poised, has star power, and can carry a show with a large journey and I believe her Miss Saigon contract is up in February."

I adore Eva, but am unsure her vocals match Eliza Doolittle's range. I think she'd be a stunningly perfect Eliza Hamilton, though.

Also, for what it's worth, Saigon closes in mid-January. 

HennySlay
#148Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/16/17 at 3:02pm

I could see Alexandra Silber in this. She played the role at the Muny a few years ago and she has worked with Sher before! 

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#149Eliza? - My Fair Lady Revival 2018
Posted: 7/16/17 at 3:29pm

I'm not saying it is the most reputable source, but I heard something very interesting today (ALWAYS keep your ears open when walking in the theater district) as I walked behind a person starring in a show this season. The name I heard has been mentioned, but it isn't Sierra, nor Philippa (my personal choice). 

Not going to say the name, because I could have misunderstood the conversation, the person could have not known what she was talking about, or any number of other things. But if she was correct, they are likely waiting for this person's current project to "finish" before announcing anything.