War Paint Future?

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#25War Paint Future?
Posted: 7/21/17 at 11:11am

I'm a huge Patti fan so I really wanted to like it but on first showing was entertained and enjoyed it.  I got the music and became obsessed with the songs.  Back on Top and Now You Know is my two favorite songs.  I saw it a second time, with closer seats and was just floored.  It was such a joy to behold and these having these two amazing women on the same stage...well, words can't describe it.  If you can, I highly recommend seeing it.  I'm hoping to go back a third time.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#26War Paint Future?
Posted: 7/21/17 at 11:38am

I love the show and have seen it three times already. I think it will be legendary one day.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#27War Paint Future?
Posted: 7/21/17 at 6:06pm

No it doesn't tackle issues like teen suicide or minority representation, but I don't think the book is bad. Definitely falls into those corny "woman's picture" conventions on more than one occasion though. The score is certainly better than GHD (have not seen GHD so can't comment on it on the whole). The lyrics are very well written IMO. It's also well acted by two long-working legends and the production design is slick as hell. But that being said it clearly isn't bringing people in, so its days are numbered. Matinee ladies can't keep a show running by themselves, and it has basically no "tourist appeal". I think it would really lose the magic captured on film.

I think TotallyEffed has an interesting notion that it may become known as a legendary performance in the future. Who knows what time may hold! I certainly can't see it having much traction (if any) through regional and licensing.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#28War Paint Future?
Posted: 7/21/17 at 6:56pm

I could see it run through Patti's and Christine's contracts, but they'd need to get stars at least at the level of Bernadette, Kristin, and Audra to replace if they want to keep running. 

I wonder if WAR PAINT would tour? Or if they'd jump straight to regional productions.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Jarethan
#29War Paint Future?
Posted: 7/21/17 at 7:05pm

Brave Sir Robin2 said: "I could see it run through Patti's and Christine's contracts, but they'd need to get stars at least at the level of Bernadette, Kristin, and Audra to replace if they want to keep running. 

I wonder if WAR PAINT would tour? Or if they'd jump straight to regional productions.

I have to disagree, unless their contracts expire in about a month.  Possibly as early as mid-August, maybe as late as mid-September, it is going to start doing worse at the box-office, unless it is different from every show that does mediocre business in the summer.  Re replacements, I think that is moot, but would have to question why any Tier 1 performer would replace someone who got great reviews in a show that is already doing marginal business.  Doesn't seem like a smart career move.

I will be very surprised if this tours, although looking at the 2017 / 2018 season in, say, Tampa, there are some filler productions, if you ask me.  Perhaps as a filler production, assuming Bandstand or GHD don't get there first.

beaemma
#30War Paint Future?
Posted: 7/21/17 at 8:52pm

I don't think I've ever seen or heard a comment that a show is weakened because it deals with men's issues, but I've seen many comments saying that the stress on women's issues is a weakness in WAR PAINT. Somehow the male experience is seen as significant subject matter for everyone, while some people (not all, obviously) see the female experience as trivial "chick lit." I doubt that this will ever change, but it bothers me anyway. I certainly think it has had an impact of ticket sales for this excellent musical. I hope WAR PAINT stays around long enough for me to get to New York and see it for a fourth time.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#31War Paint Future?
Posted: 7/21/17 at 9:11pm

That's funny, considering the male parts of the show are by far the weakest.

broadwayboy223
#32War Paint Future?
Posted: 7/21/17 at 9:16pm

I saw the show a week ago after seeing it Chicago and it was even better. Such a underrated musical with a FANTASTIC score and performances. I'm hoping we get a pro shot maybe by Broadway HD? I'd love for it to get preserved. 

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#33War Paint Future?
Posted: 7/21/17 at 11:46pm

While the book can be very 'meh', the performances make up for it and then some. I'm seeing War Paint for a third time next month!

The score is beautiful, cast is phenomenal, it's supposedly Patti's last musical on Broadway, prices aren't as high as DEH or other shows...I see plenty of reason to check the show out. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#34War Paint Future?
Posted: 7/21/17 at 11:51pm

beaemma said: "I don't think I've ever seen or heard a comment that a show is weakened because it deals with men's issues, but I've seen many comments saying that the stress on women's issues is a weakness in WAR PAINT. Somehow the male experience is seen as significant subject matter for everyone, while some people (not all, obviously) see the female experience as trivial "chick lit." I doubt that this will ever change, but it bothers me anyway. I certainly think it has had an impact of ticket sales for this excellent musical. I hope WAR PAINT stays around long enough for me to get to New York and see it for a fourth time.

"

I know I tend to be a broken record about this, but Little Dancer suffered from the same problem. It had all kinds of conflict, but because they were women's conflicts, I saw critics saying that it didn't really have any conflict.

Gizmo6
#35War Paint Future?
Posted: 7/22/17 at 4:26am

beaemma said: "I don't think I've ever seen or heard a comment that a show is weakened because it deals with men's issues, but I've seen many comments saying that the stress on women's issues is a weakness in WAR PAINT. Somehow the male experience is seen as significant subject matter for everyone, while some people (not all, obviously) see the female experience as trivial "chick lit." I doubt that this will ever change, but it bothers me anyway. I certainly think it has had an impact of ticket sales for this excellent musical. I hope WAR PAINT stays around long enough for me to get to New York and see it for a fourth time.

I want to see the show to see the two leads but what puzzled me was the way that the show was being marketed. It seemed to be rewriting history and making the two characters out to be feminist icons, exploiting the 'shattering glass ceilings' mantra popular culture at the moment. They may have shattered glass but they weren't women for women. 

"Did we make women freer, or did we help enslave them"? I don't think that cuts it in terms of writing the wrong of the shows marketing. 

I hope it's still on when I'm there as I am curious to see it, i love the music, especially PINK. 

"

Videos