pixeltracker

When Pigs Fly revival to open on October

When Pigs Fly revival to open on October

Abbade
#1When Pigs Fly revival to open on October
Posted: 8/14/17 at 1:15pm

"When Pigs Fly, the comedic revue that had a celebrated New York run from 1996-1998, will make its off-Broadway return at Stage 42 this fall. Previews will begin on October 6 with an opening night set for October 30.

The revival of When Pigs Fly will star Jordan Ahnquist as Howard, alongside Taylor Crousure, Jacob Hoffman, Brian Charles Rooney, Frank Viveros, Cameron Mitchell Bell and Paul Sabala."

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/189421/howard-crabtrees-when-pigs-fly-to-return-off-broadway-for-run-at-stage-42/

This is the first time i hear about this musical. Should I see? I will be in NY in october, maybe I can watch it

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#2When Pigs Fly revival to open on October
Posted: 8/14/17 at 2:16pm

The original production was a perfect evening. Smart, sharply political, but in a winking manner, those brilliant costumes, and a wildly talented cast (including the matchless Stanley Bojarski, who gave an unforgettable comic performance). It's a particularly interesting time for the show's revival, given the right-wing swing of the nation, so I'm eagerly looking forward to it.  

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#3When Pigs Fly revival to open on October
Posted: 8/14/17 at 3:17pm

This show is hilarious!  I know they updated it a bit a number of years ago and wonder if they will update some of the more political songs for the current climate.  

evic
#4When Pigs Fly revival to open on October
Posted: 8/14/17 at 3:32pm

I saw the show 10 times. I hope this cast does the original justice. They and the show were priceless. Cannot wait to see it again. Maybe 10 more times. I still laugh thinking about it. 

bunnie3 Profile Photo
bunnie3
#5When Pigs Fly revival to open on October
Posted: 8/14/17 at 4:40pm

I will never forget this hilarious, tuneful show, and Howard Crabtree s AMAZEBALLS, creatively CRAZY costumes, made basically on a $5.00 budget. This was about 30 yrs ago?   The only mistake I could see in a revival is to spend TOO much $$$$ on the set, costumes, etc.  Looking forward to a revival.

I'm "TINY"aka TheTinyMagic. BWW log on problems forever. Yeesh.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#6When Pigs Fly revival to open on October
Posted: 8/14/17 at 7:55pm

Abbade said: ""When Pigs Fly, the comedic revue that had a celebrated New York run from 1996-1998, will make its off-Broadway return at Stage 42 this fall. Previews will begin on October 6 with an opening night set for October 30.

The revival of When Pigs Fly will star Jordan Ahnquist as Howard, alongside Taylor Crousure, Jacob Hoffman, Brian Charles Rooney, Frank Viveros, Cameron Mitchell Bell and Paul Sabala."

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/189421/howard-crabtrees-when-pigs-fly-to-return-off-broadway-for-run-at-stage-42/

This is the first time i hear about this musical. Should I see? I will be in NY in october, maybe I can watch it

"

You can download the OC album from iTunes and decide for yourself. The score is very witty, and one song (Laughing Matters) was recorded by Bette Midler on her BATHHOUSE BETTY album. (ETA I didn't post this to suggest you shouldn't ask for opinions here. Just want you to have all the resources.)

Updated On: 8/14/17 at 07:55 PM

Abbade
#7When Pigs Fly revival to open on October
Posted: 8/14/17 at 11:27pm

GavestonPS said: "Abbade said: ""When Pigs Fly, the comedic revue that had a celebrated New York run from 1996-1998, will make its off-Broadway return at Stage 42 this fall. Previews will begin on October 6 with an opening night set for October 30.

"

You can download the OC album from iTunes and decide for yourself. The score is very witty, and one song (Laughing Matters) was recorded by Bette Midler on her BATHHOUSE BETTY album. (ETA I didn't post this to suggest you shouldn't ask for opinions here. Just want you to have all the resources.)

"

I will listen! Thanks buddy!

But there's some cases that, if people are raving about a show, I like to go to the theater without listen to anything. I will probably do this with The Band's Visit, and maybe with a When Pigs Fly. Shoud I wait for the reviews? or just go? what do you think?

WestCoastActor/Director Profile Photo
WestCoastActor/Director
#8When Pigs Fly revival to open on October
Posted: 8/14/17 at 11:39pm

I saw the original production it was absolutely delightful.    It was so creative and entertaining. We time I would play the cast recording it would bring it all back.   I also loved his other show Whoop-Dee-Doo! which I think I saw a production here in California instead of New York.

whenever I think of either show it's always with a twinge of sadness at the untimely passing of Howard Crabtree.  I can only imagine what he could've done in his future career possibilities.

RussT2
#9When Pigs Fly revival to open on October
Posted: 9/11/17 at 3:55pm

"But there's some cases that, if people are raving about a show, I like togo to the theater without listen to anything. I will probably do this with The Band's Visit, and maybe with a When Pigs Fly. Shoud I wait for the reviews? or just go? what do you think?"

I saw the original cast about 6 times. The show is brilliant. If this new cast is any good, then they can't miss. I'm sure they will update the lyrics of the "torch songs" to reflect the current political climate. I got tickets this morning.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#10When Pigs Fly revival to open on October
Posted: 9/11/17 at 3:59pm

Haven't heard much buzz about this - are we expecting it to sell well? Also, is this a limited production or an open engagement?

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#11When Pigs Fly revival to open on October
Posted: 9/11/17 at 4:11pm

The NY Times just had a piece that included it in yesterday's paper - including some hints from Mark Waldrop about the updated content, and a Bob Mackie costume sketch. 

Will the Old Gay Play Have Something New to Say?When Pigs Fly revival to open on October

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#12When Pigs Fly revival to open on October
Posted: 9/12/17 at 1:19am

I loved the original! Some similarities to Beach Blanket Babylon in SF but much better. So Gay and delightful!

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#13When Pigs Fly revival to open on October
Posted: 9/12/17 at 1:36am

Abbade said: "...But there's some cases that, if people are raving about a show, I like togo to the theater without listen to anything. I will probably do this with The Band's Visit, and maybe with a When Pigs Fly. Shoud I wait for the reviews? or just go? what do you think?

"

I think this question was directed to me. I'm sorry, I can't answer it because I never saw the show. Everybody who did seems to respond as posters have in this thread. I don't think the score is difficult to grasp without an advance listen. "Laughing Matters" is so perfect I wish I had written it.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#14When Pigs Fly revival to open on October
Posted: 9/12/17 at 8:33am

Loved both of Howard Crabtree's WHEN PIGS FLY and his WHOOP-dee-DOO.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#15When Pigs Fly revival to open on October
Posted: 9/13/17 at 4:56pm

A peek at the new cast.

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/189679/meet-the-cast-bringing-howard-crabtree-mark-waldrops-when-pigs-fly-back-off-broadway/When Pigs Fly revival to open on October