pixeltracker

Dave Malloy speaks on comet controversy

Dave Malloy speaks on comet controversy

PaulWom
#1Dave Malloy speaks on comet controversy
Posted: 9/8/17 at 12:10pm

Wow!

http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/great-comet-dave-malloy-is-still-processing.html

Some fascinating new facts from this article

Updated On: 9/8/17 at 12:10 PM

curel1
#2Dave Malloy speaks on comet controversy
Posted: 9/8/17 at 12:23pm

Oak has said, and tweeted, that the show needed time to get ready, while Chavkin and Malloy have said he wasn’t fully prepared to fulfill all the requirements of the role, specifically some portions of his piano and accordion playing, which were cut and given to other performers. “I had to go in for a week because he was unprepared, and he tweeted that we were unprepared,” Malloy says. “That was strange and hard.”

Wow

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#3Dave Malloy speaks on comet controversy
Posted: 9/8/17 at 12:30pm

^that got me too. What utter disrespect. I also loved reading his perspective on the twitter peeps, where he basically thought their end goal was to close the show. I can't begin to think how he's feeling now. What a miserable way for a show to close.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Fordham2015
#4Dave Malloy speaks on comet controversy
Posted: 9/8/17 at 12:34pm

The last line really got me

schubox
#5Dave Malloy speaks on comet controversy
Posted: 9/8/17 at 12:42pm

Really interesting article. I echo what that crew member said at the end 

zzannahk Profile Photo
zzannahk
#6Dave Malloy speaks on comet controversy
Posted: 9/8/17 at 12:55pm

Can't wait to see how HogansHero tries to spin this one

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#7Dave Malloy speaks on comet controversy
Posted: 9/8/17 at 1:00pm

That last line... I'm still in shock

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#8Dave Malloy speaks on comet controversy
Posted: 9/8/17 at 1:12pm

Wow, I'm glad he did that interview. I was at the last show and during the Abduction scene Lucas Steele motioned for the whole theater to sing "goodbye my gypsy lovers." I was sitting in front of some Imperial theater ushers and sound technicians. They were singing along but wiping away tears. I've never seen a theater staff that seemed to love a cast as much as the Imperial staff loved The Great Comet crew. According to a few staffers I talked to they were the nicest, kindest, most fun cast they'd ever met. 

The fact that it had to close so prematurely ... I still can't wrap my head around that. 

schubox
#9Dave Malloy speaks on comet controversy
Posted: 9/8/17 at 1:36pm

zzannahk said: "Can't wait to see how HogansHero tries to spinthis one"

Well I'm sure he'd say Dave isn't a money man and he's reacting emotionally to a situation that's about money.

This confirms what I thought though, that while the show was never going to be a runaway hit, it could have made it through the end of the year, and maybe a little more.

I also had the thought, that people were saying why should Oak defend the show when he owed them nothing. Well the show clearly covered for him when he said the show wasn't ready for him, they could have refuted that, but instead went along with it 

Liza's Headband
#10Dave Malloy speaks on comet controversy
Posted: 9/8/17 at 1:38pm

This confirms what I thought though, that while the show was never going to be a runaway hit, it could have made it through the end of the year, and maybe a little more.

^ If this is true, WHY did Malloy suggest the Patinkin move was made to essentially keep the show open/running?? 

Updated On: 9/8/17 at 01:38 PM

PaulWom
#11Dave Malloy speaks on comet controversy
Posted: 9/8/17 at 1:42pm

Liza's Headband said: "This confirms what I thought though, that while the show was never going to be a runaway hit, it could have made it through the end of the year, and maybe a little more.

^ If this is true, WHY did Malloy suggest the Patinkin move was made to essentially keep the show open/running??
"

I think he meant it in the sense of the show needed someone to keep it running while the other TV star prepared. I don't think Malloy ever said that the show had no prospects of running past Mandy. 

Liza's Headband
#12Dave Malloy speaks on comet controversy
Posted: 9/8/17 at 1:43pm

You sure about that? Reread the article, and also remember what he tweeted out during the controversy... 

Sunny11
#13Dave Malloy speaks on comet controversy
Posted: 9/8/17 at 1:43pm

It's not unusual for a show to use a rotating door of celebrities to keep it open, see Hedwig or Legally Blonde in the west end. They where lining up a TV star to take over from Patinkin. 

Liza's Headband
#14Dave Malloy speaks on comet controversy
Posted: 9/8/17 at 1:49pm

Doesn't matter. They would not have lasted. NOT a financially viable show... at all. 

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#15Dave Malloy speaks on comet controversy
Posted: 9/8/17 at 1:54pm

poison oak

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#16Dave Malloy speaks on comet controversy
Posted: 9/8/17 at 1:55pm

HogansHero is always ecstatic whenever a show closes. Yawn. 

PaulWom
#17Dave Malloy speaks on comet controversy
Posted: 9/8/17 at 1:56pm

Liza's Headband said: "Doesn't matter. They would not have lasted. NOT a financially viable show... at all."

Really? So once again- confirmed in both the Nytimes and Vulture that a TV star was slated to replace Mandy, and you're saying it would've closed Sept. 3rd anyway? Unbelievable. Alternative facts, anybody?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#18Dave Malloy speaks on comet controversy
Posted: 9/8/17 at 2:12pm

I think you're conflating two things into one. If the show did get the TV star and did make it until January or beyond, it was still doomed financially. If you just want the show to keep running, and aren't interested in them making their money back as long as you can keep seeing and enjoying the show, that's one thing. But at their current rate, they would need to stay open through 2019 for it to be a hit... and no matter when they eventually closed, they wouldn't have recouped.

#19Dave Malloy speaks on comet controversy
Posted: 9/8/17 at 2:23pm

But at their current rate, they would need to stay open through 2019 for it to be a hit... and no matter when they eventually closed, they wouldn't have recouped.

I'm not sure I understand this logic. What happens in 2019 to make it a "hit" other than recoupment? Otherwise your metric for "a hit" seems to be an arbitrary length of run. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#20Dave Malloy speaks on comet controversy
Posted: 9/8/17 at 2:27pm

bakerswife372 said: "I'm not sure I understand this logic. What happens in 2019 to make it a "hit" other than recoupment? Otherwise your metric for "a hit" seems to be an arbitrary length of run."

If they were only able to return 15% of their investment in 11 months, with a celebrity name able to bring in nearly $1M a week, they would need to somehow stay in business for several more years just to break even.

PaulWom
#21Dave Malloy speaks on comet controversy
Posted: 9/8/17 at 2:27pm

haterobics said: "I think you're conflating two things into one. If the show did get the TV star and did make it until January or beyond, it was still doomed financially. If you just want the show to keep running, and aren't interested in them making their money back as long as you can keep seeing and enjoying the show,that's one thing. But at their current rate, they would need to stay open through 2019 for it to be a hit... and no matter when they eventually closed, they wouldn't have recouped."

I think "would it have recouped" and "would it have run longer than it did" are two very different conversations. Shows fail to recoup all the time, that's not really what people are talking about.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#22Dave Malloy speaks on comet controversy
Posted: 9/8/17 at 2:33pm

So you're just saying that is someone else started as Pierre on September 5, it wouldn't have closed on September 3?! Then, we agree. That is a very non-controversial opinion. Dave Malloy speaks on comet controversy

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#23Dave Malloy speaks on comet controversy
Posted: 9/8/17 at 2:34pm

I think the goal is to keep the show open for as long as possible and make back the money.  I'm sure that they had come to realize that they probably wouldn't be recouping, but I don't think they nor anyone else could see this show not making it past the one year mark.  I would say that if they were to have kept the show open till January, it would have been a success.  Not financially, no, but they had a decent run and probably could have taken the show on tour.  The show did close prematurely due to the loud mouths of others.  The show was struggling, but would have made it.  They had made arrangements with other stars who were going to be stepping in, but all dropped out after the controversy.  The show was on life support and Oak, Casal, and Erivo, as well as their supporters pulled the plug.  They attacked the show (both passively and aggressively) without having any idea of the situation at hand.

If the show had made it till January, it wouldn't have recouped, but at least it wouldn't be considered one of the most controversial, embarrassing flops in all of Broadway history.  

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#24Dave Malloy speaks on comet controversy
Posted: 9/8/17 at 2:36pm

GeorgeandDot said: "If the show had made it till January, it wouldn't have recouped, but at least it wouldn't be considered one of the most controversial, embarrassing flops in all of Broadway history."

I doubt this show would even crack the top 25 of that list...

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#25Dave Malloy speaks on comet controversy
Posted: 9/8/17 at 2:41pm

Has there ever been a show nominated for 12 Tony Awards and accompanied by a slew of raves that closed so suddenly after an embarrassingly misguided sh*t storm on twitter?  I don't think so.  Therefore it's certainly within the top five most embarrassing and controversial flops on Broadway.

Updated On: 9/8/17 at 02:41 PM