Phantom Broadway 30th?

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#25Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 9/29/17 at 12:09pm

mozgrrl said: "I also have a hunch that there is going to be that cast change that occurs first...well, at least for the Phantom. It seems like JB is planning ALOT of other things in the next few months (i.e concerts etc)...that's just my thinking...who really knows, but the waiting is KILLING me."

The imminent departure of Mr. Barbour is fairly certain.

PM me about the 30th.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

mozgrrl Profile Photo
mozgrrl
#26Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/16/17 at 1:19pm

Any news on this yet? Weds (1/24) is still blocked off for public ticket sales...but the 26th is available, like normal.

labellaragazza1 Profile Photo
labellaragazza1
#27Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/17/17 at 9:36am

I'm curious as well. I went to the theater to purchase tickets for the 26th (I want to be there on the actual anniversary regardless of any special performances) and the man at the box office said "that's right around the 30th anniversary!" but didn't say anything more...  Was a little perplexing as that IS the actual anniversary...

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#28Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/17/17 at 11:53am

This is all very interesting, I hope they make a decision on the anniversary soon because I'm looking to book flights and was planning on flying in on the Wednesday.

Im not one way or another on JB being there or not, I saw him a few times and was fine with his performance, but its always nice to see someone different (and hopefully totally new) to the role. Might also be getting to see Ben in London later next year also.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#29Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/17/17 at 11:58am

Also please don't bring over Ramin, I know he is "just up the block" as someone said earlier but Im really not a fan, although it would be nice to see him in the US style mask, will probably have to get new costumes too as he has bulked up. The fan girls would love that tho......

labellaragazza1 Profile Photo
labellaragazza1
#30Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/17/17 at 12:30pm

Justin D said: "Also please don't bring over Ramin, I know he is "just up the block" as someone said earlier but Im really not a fan, although it would be nice to see him in the US style mask, will probably have to get new costumes too as he has bulked up. The fan girls would love that tho......"

Agree. I'm praying it's not another Ramin + Sierra fest. Would love to hear even just a tidbit of info at this point, especially if Barbour is supposedly leaving in October. We're half way through with no news on that front either.

mozgrrl Profile Photo
mozgrrl
#31Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/17/17 at 12:40pm

I am thinking that James B is staying in until December. I originally thought it was October, but he has since said he's in NY until Dec. on his FB Live videos. It looks like there will be a new Phantom for the Anniversary, though. I really think it's so anti climatic to have the anniversary show on a date other than the 26th...that kind of makes me feel like they think its no big deal...personally, it's a HUGE deal for me.

labellaragazza1 said: "Justin D said: "Also please don't bring over Ramin, I know he is "just up the block" as someone said earlier but Im really not a fan, although it would be nice to see him in the US style mask, will probably have to get new costumes too as he has bulked up. The fan girls would love that tho......"

Agree. I'm praying it's not another Ramin + Sierra fest. Would love to hear even just a tidbit of info at this point, especially if Barbour is supposedly leaving in October. We're half way through with no news on that front either.
"

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#32Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/17/17 at 2:59pm

I am beyond frustrated with this situation. If you don't live in NY, it's virtually impossible to make any sort of plans because there's no certainty that you'll pick the right dates for airfare and accommodations. London was much more considerate for their 25th, with lots of advance notice and time to make arrangements. angry

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#33Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/17/17 at 3:39pm

It would seem logical to do a big 30th celebration. While it’s certainly possible the show will get to 35 or 40 (or beyond), it’s not guaranteed, and 30 is a huge number. What did London do for the 30th?

It’s also a milestone for the creative team which (not to be morbid) is not getting any younger: Webber is 69, Mackintosh is 71, Prince is 89, and Gillian Lynne is 91. 

Pipe dream: re-name the Majestic Theatre after Hal Prince or Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#34Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/17/17 at 4:21pm

"Prince Theatre" sounds nicer than "Lloyd Webber Theatre" lol

anyways, if they are not having the celebration on the actual friday its probably because someone important on the team cant make it then. But I do know they are planning something, weather it is open to the public is another matter alltogether, they only opened the 25th to the public kinda last minute.

thedrybandit
#35Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/17/17 at 4:47pm

Justin D said: "Also please don't bring over Ramin, I know he is "just up the block" as someone said earlier but Im really not a fan, although it would be nice to see him in the US style mask, will probably have to get new costumes too as he has bulked up. The fan girls would love that tho......"

If it helps, he's not the person I think it might be.

And to another point, I'd hate to see the Majestic renamed for anyone except Hal. If it ever became the Prince, I would love that. He deserves it, preferably while he's still around to see it.

mozgrrl Profile Photo
mozgrrl
#36Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/17/17 at 4:52pm

Totally agree...The Prince has a nice ring to it. What show was at the Majestic BEFORE Phantom?

ksilver117 said: "Justin D said: "Also please don't bring over Ramin, I know he is "just up the block" as someone said earlier but Im really not a fan, although it would be nice to see him in the US style mask, will probably have to get new costumes too as he has bulked up. The fan girls would love that tho......"

If it helps, he's not the person I think it might be.

And to another point, I'd hate to see the Majestic renamed for anyone except Hal. If it ever became the Prince, I would love that. He deserves it, preferably while he's still around to see it.
"

johannabarker
#37Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/17/17 at 5:56pm

For the 30th in London, they had a lot Phantom alumni performing in Masquerade and a special after curtain call performance of a few songs, with appearances by Sierra Boggess and Gardar Thor Cortes of the cancelled Paris production. It should be on Youtube.

They held the 30th on the anniversary date despite Sarah Brightman and Hal Prince not being there/available. 

Ramin has said that after the 25th anniversary in London "it doesn't get better than that" and he doesn't want to reprise the role, and I believe him. I'm sure he's been offered London, Paris, Love Never Dies in Germany, blah blah blah. If he wanted to, he'd be back. He's not going to. Same with Valjean.

Here's my prediction: a performance of the title song with like five Phantoms and one Christine. Some other songs. Cake and champagne wheeled out, confetti blasted. Congratulatory wishes from the various productions currently running (probably including the LND tour). Sierra Boggess will be there. Ramin will be there despite never performing in the Broadway production. Tickets will be expensive. Ultimately overwhelming, very on par for the production as of late. Hopefully there's a big cast change. Carlotta and the Christine alternate are confirmed leaving, the creeper in the mask is rumored to leave.

SomethingPeculiar
#38Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/17/17 at 11:09pm

There's nothing on the wall or on the sidewalk yet, right? (along the lines of the Les Mis/Imperial Theatre piece)

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#39Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/18/17 at 8:38am

Not that I can remember.

Cant remember what was in the theatre right before Phantom, but The Wiz was there for a while as well as 42nd street, which might have been what was in at the time, i believe it transferred across the street to st. james but I honestly dont have a clue.

SomethingPeculiar
#40Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/18/17 at 11:05am

According to IMDB, before Phantom the Majestic had...

- 42nd St (Mar 81-Apr 87)

- Brigadoon (Oct 80 - Feb 81)

- Backstone! (May 80 - Aug 80)

- Bette Midler (Dec 79 - Jan 80)

- Most Happy Fella (Oct 79 - Nov 79)

... with other highlights over the years including Ballroom, The Wiz, Mack & Mabel, Night Music, Sugar, 1776, Fiddler, Funny Girl, Golden Boy, Forum, Anyone Can Whistle, Camelot, The Music Man, Happy Hunting, Fanny, Me & Juliet, South Pacific, Allegro, the original Carousel, and the original On Your Toes in 1936. Pretty amazing! (I never knew about most of those)

Phantom4ever
#41Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/19/17 at 10:10am

Here's my theory. I think the special 30th anniversary performance will be on Wednesday night, January 24. There is no performance listed for that day on telecharge. The matinee the next day is cancelled, presumably because the cast will still be wrecked from the festivities the night before. There is a Friday matinee added, but that still only adds up to 7 performances currently on sale for that week (Monday night, Tuesday night, Thursday night, two on Friday and two on Saturday). I would imagine that once they arrange seating for all the VIPs they want there, then they can open seating up to the unwashed masses, just like they did for the 25th. According to my Facebook On This Day app, it was this week in October 2011 when they announced the 25th anniversary celebration details, so I hope that the 30th anniversary details will be out within days. 

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#42Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/19/17 at 10:32am

That definitely looks like it will be a Wednesday night affair this time (for what ever reason)

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#43Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/19/17 at 11:06am

I think he is such a terrible singer and ruins the entire 25th anniversary recording. I get that he is a handsome guy, but he does not have the chops to play the Phantom. His fans are exhausting.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#44Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/23/17 at 2:35pm

My understanding is that the original plans for the Broadway 30th were quite lavish because London got the grand event for their 25th, but they have since been (and continue to be) scaled back considerably. I'm not expecting anything more than what Broadway got for their 25th.

thedrybandit
#45Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/23/17 at 2:49pm

Well, that's a little upsetting, but nothing new for the producers. They definitely tend to treat Broadway as the second-string production that gets the big events if we're lucky. Oh well. At least we're used to it by now.

mozgrrl Profile Photo
mozgrrl
#46Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/23/17 at 3:11pm

What did Broadway do for the 25th? I'm assuming ALW and Hal Prince showed up, but was Michael Crawford or Sarah B there? Or any other original cast members?

I am still going to the 8pm show on Jan 26th. I want to be there for the actual anniversary...even if it's not the official celebration. I am so annoyed they haven't said anything. I keep messaging them on FB as well and get no response.

Lot666 said: "My understanding is that the original plans for the Broadway 30th were quite lavish because London got the grandevent for their 25th, but they have since been (and continue to be) scaled back considerably. I'm not expecting anything more than what Broadway got for their 25th."

thedrybandit
#47Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/23/17 at 3:28pm

mozgrrl said: "What did Broadway do for the 25th? I'm assuming ALW and Hal Prince showed up, but was Michael Crawford or Sarah B there? Or any other original cast members?
"

This is basically what they did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef0MAV8kEWA (It's a 30 minute video of the curtain call event)

Apart from that curtain call, they invited tons of old cast members from Broadway, tours, and Vegas, which had just closed a few months before, some of whom were brought on stage, and some of whom were there to watch the performance. Somewhere around 100 seats were given to fans in an online lottery, and any remaining seats were sold to the general public, but these were pretty limited. I think less than thirty popped up originally, and maybe 45 ended up being sold total.

Quick edit to add that they also held a gala at the New York Public Library after the performance for the creators and all invited cast members.

Updated On: 10/23/17 at 03:28 PM

johannabarker
#48Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/23/17 at 3:44pm

ThirstyThersites, what happened to the new Phantom in October? And people are saying JB said he was here until December... I really don't care who the new Phantom is, the Broadway production is ruined for me forever because everyone in the building is A-OK with JB.

ThirstyThersites
#49Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/24/17 at 9:32am

As of about a week ago apparently he wasn't even sure when he's leaving. Something must have changed not sure why.