Phantom Broadway 30th?

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#75Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/31/17 at 9:54am

If it is Michael X, does that mean PoB isnt doing too well? seems a short run for him and Kaley Ann

and although he is super talented, I guess they would have had to make some sort of Equity deal for him to be staring in 3 shows back to back on Broadway.

I would also love to see the current US Tour Phantom come to NYC, his voice is divine.

I'm happy also if it is Tam, just not Ramin.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#76Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/31/17 at 9:58am

The Distinctive Baritone said: "I’m curious as to whether Barbour would be staying if it weren’t for the whole Harvey Weinstein thing,"

That's a bit of a stretch, James has been wanting to leave for a while now to spend more time with his wife and kids but the producers wanted him to stay longer

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#77Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/31/17 at 10:00am

mozgrrl said: "have never seen Jeremy Stolle in the role, but I do love his voice!"

He has a fantastic voice and he acts the part brilliantly, with just the right touch of madness. Easily my favorite Phantom since Hugh Panaro.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#78Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/31/17 at 10:03am

The Distinctive Baritone said: "I’m curious as to whether Barbour would be staying if it weren’t for the whole Harvey Weinstein thing,"

As easy as it is to draw a connection there, I don't think the two are related. People from within the show indicated months ago that Mr. Barbour was leaving, long before the Weinstein story broke.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#79Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/31/17 at 10:07am

Justin D said: "If it is Michael X, does that mean PoB isnt doing too well? seems a short run for him and Kaley Ann"

PoB closed on October 29.

Justin D said: "I would also love to see the current US Tour Phantom come to NYC, his voice is divine."

Who is the current touring Phantom? I saw it near the beginning of the run with Chris Mann and I thought he was woefully miscast. It was the worst performance of the show I've ever seen.

Updated On: 10/31/17 at 10:07 AM

mozgrrl Profile Photo
mozgrrl
#80Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/31/17 at 10:15am

Lot666 said: Who is the current touring Phantom? I saw it near the beginning of the run with Chris Mann and I thought he was woefully miscast. It was the worst performance of the show I've ever seen."

The tour Phantom is Derrick Davis and I'll be seeing him in Philly on Nov 11...can't wait. I'll give you a report once I see him :)

Updated On: 10/31/17 at 10:15 AM

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#81Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/31/17 at 10:24am

mozgrrl said: "The tour Phantom is Derrick Davis and I'll be seeing him in Philly on Nov 11...can't wait. I'll give you a report once I see him :)"

Please do! I hope he's better than what I got.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#82Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/31/17 at 11:10am

Lot666 said: "Justin D said: "If it is Michael X, does that mean PoB isnt doing too well? seems a short run for him and Kaley Ann"

Did it? I feel so embarrassed, somehow I missed seeing that story.

Yea Derrick's voice is wonderful, Hope he makes it to the Broadway version soon.

I do remember Chris Mann saying in interviews that he wants a go at the Broadway version, I would not hate this because I will say it could be worse (Cooper Grodin)

MannPhan24601
#83Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/31/17 at 11:20am

Justin D said: "Lot666 said: "Justin D said: "If it is Michael X, does that mean PoB isnt doing too well? seems a short run for him and Kaley Ann"

Did it? I feel soembarrassed, somehow I missed seeing that story.

Yea Derrick's voice is wonderful, Hope he makes it to the Broadway version soon.

I do remember Chris Mann saying in interviews that he wants a go at the Broadway version, I would not hate this because I will say it could be worse (Cooper Grodin)
"

Chris is LA based and his wife Laura(Who was a swing in the touring production ) just had a baby last month. It also looks like he's doing something for The Voice (He came in 4th in Season 2)in Vegas this spring ..I can't really see him doing the Broadway production as of now even though I'd love to finally see him in the role.IAs you can tell from my username,I am a major fan of him .I've seen/met him 3 times in concert and he's just one of the most kind people ever .

Phantom4ever
#84Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/31/17 at 1:22pm

Derrick Davis is the best Phantom I have ever seen. I told him as much after I saw him in the tour last year. I told him that I hope they move him to Broadway soon and he said he did not expect that to happen. His performance was the first time that I ever truly felt sorry for the Phantom.

mozgrrl Profile Photo
mozgrrl
#85Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 10/31/17 at 1:32pm

Phantom4ever said: "Derrick Davis is the best Phantom I have ever seen. I told him as much after I saw him in the tour last year. I told him that I hope they move him to Broadway soon and he said he did not expect that to happen. His performance was the first time that I ever truly felt sorry for the Phantom."

Which Phantoms have you seen besides Derrick? I'm looking forward to seeing him in Philly for the first time. If a Phantom makes me cry / have the feels for him at the end, I truly love him.

Only a few have done that for me so far:
Michael Crawford (via you tube videos only, unfortunately)
Kevin Gray
Laird Mackintosh

mozgrrl Profile Photo
mozgrrl
#86Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 11/14/17 at 10:44am

Interesting take on who should play the Phantom for the 30th:

https://www.broadwaybox.com/daily-scoop/15-actors-wed-love-to-see-as-the-30th-anniversary-phantom/

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#87Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 11/14/17 at 10:45am

Well, some of them are interesting, anyway.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#88Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 11/14/17 at 11:05am

mozgrrl said: "Interesting take on who should play the Phantom for the 30th:

https://www.broadwaybox.com/daily-scoop/15-actors-wed-love-to-see-as-the-30th-anniversary-phantom/
"

I saw this article when it was published a few weeks ago and I can't say that any of them would be particularly exciting to me. Maybe Michael Cerveris, but definitely none of the younger guys. frown

I want Anthony Warlow.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#89Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 11/14/17 at 11:08am

Now I can’t not see Jason as the phantom. He would perfect.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#90Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 11/14/17 at 11:53am

The only one there I have thought about in the past was Aaron Lazar, but he still comes across more as a Raoul to me than a Phantom.

Another former Phantom from the tour who will soon be leaving cats when it closes is Richard Todd Adams, I thought vocally he was wonderful in the role.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#92Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 11/14/17 at 2:05pm

I'm so glad now that my plans for coming fell through, lol. Now I don't feel like i am missing out anymore

labellaragazza1 Profile Photo
labellaragazza1
#93Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 11/14/17 at 2:16pm

curel1 said: "Peter Joback is the Phantom

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/190158/the-phantom-of-the-opera-announces-peter-joback-as-30th-anniversary-leading-man/
"

Nooooot what/who I was expecting 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#94Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 11/14/17 at 2:22pm

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/190158/the-phantom-of-the-opera-announces-peter-joback-as-30th-anniversary-leading-man/
"

I can't say I'm thrilled, but it could've been worse; at least they're not bringing in Chris Mann. I rather like Mr. Joback's take on the role from an acting perspective and he's the right age (46), but he unfortunately lacks the vocal range and strength to do justice to "Music of the Night" (I felt sorry for him when he was singing next to Warlow, Owen-Jones, and Karimloo).

I'm curious as to why they chose to bring him in for just three month. Why not let whoever is really going to take over the role also do the anniversary?

BroadwayBeebe
#95Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 11/14/17 at 2:22pm

*Insert Head Scratch Here*

Seems he’s only staying for enough time to do the anniversary and some change. Hope whoever is coming in March is slightly more interesting.

labellaragazza1 Profile Photo
labellaragazza1
#96Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 11/14/17 at 2:26pm

Lot666 said: "curel1 said: "Peter Joback is the Phantom

"

I can't say I'm thrilled, but it could've been worse; at least they're not bringing in Chris Mann. I rather like Mr. Joback's take on the role from an acting perspective and he's the right age (46), but he unfortunately lacks the vocal range and strength to do justice to "Music of the Night" (I felt sorry for him when he was singing next to Warlow, Owen-Jones, and Karimloo).

I'm curious as to why they chose to bring him in for just three month. Why not let whoever is really going to take over the role also do the anniversary?
"

That's what I thought too. I'm trying to reserve judgement till I see him in the role, but I wasn't a fan of his vocals when I heard him before. Now I'm basically just waiting to see who takes the role after...

I obviously don't know the reasoning behind it, and for an anniversary I do like that he has a connection to the show,  but I am also wondering- is it that hard to get new people for the role? I guess I'll have to see if there is a new new Phantom after Joback for that answer. 

mozgrrl Profile Photo
mozgrrl
#97Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 11/14/17 at 2:32pm

I can't say I'm thrilled with this choice. Feels like a "been there, done that we need to make a quick decision" move, but I do have tickets for the 26th and I'm looking forward to seeing him in the role.

"

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#98Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 11/14/17 at 2:35pm

His acting is ok

but there is a line from the show that Carlotta uses that for me describes him as the Phantom

"doesn't have the voice"

Maybe it is a challenge to fill the role.....A lot of productions don't like to bump up swings/understudies because they are quite valuable in those positions. Some big names that the other post spoke of as being possible replacements might be all snooty about coming in as a replacement. I remember reading years ago that when the show first opened in London they had problems finding Carlottas. Surely that even still after 30 years it would be a nice job to have (if you are capable).

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#99Phantom Broadway 30th?
Posted: 11/14/17 at 2:42pm

Justin D said: "A lot of productions don't like to bump up swings/understudies because they are quite valuable in those positions."

Indeed, Jeremy Stolle and Laird Mackintosh slay in the role, but Mr. Mackintosh is also an excellent and dependable Andre and Mr. Stolle is a very talented and versatile performer who is quite valuable to them as a swing.

Videos