#126Cursed Child covers/understudies
Posted: 9/6/18 at 10:12pm

GeorgeandDot said: "Is Noma on?"

No, I believe she's out all week

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#127Cursed Child covers/understudies
Posted: 9/7/18 at 12:20pm

Noma was out yesterday evening for part 1. I presume she'll be out again this evening, but will report back after the show.

atuomala Profile Photo
atuomala
#128Cursed Child covers/understudies
Posted: 9/13/18 at 12:27pm

As of Wednesday (9/12), Noma is back from vacation and everyone was covering their usual tracks. There appears to be no vacations planned for this week.

"Mostly, I loved the size of these people's emotions. Nobody has emotions this size anymore. Outsized emotions. Operatic emotions. Kushemski and Vanda are like Tristan and Isolde, they're Paolo and Francesca. Nobody's in total thrall like this anymore. Nobody's overcome by passion like this, or goes through this kind of rage." Thomas, Venus in Fur

sorano916 Profile Photo
sorano916
#129Cursed Child covers/understudies
Posted: 9/22/18 at 6:35pm

Looks like John Skelley made his Harry Potter today. And he's the first American Harry as other times a Harry understudy went on, they were British (Stuart and Gideon).

jordynmcanany
#130Cursed Child covers/understudies
Posted: 9/22/18 at 6:46pm

Funny, was literally just talking about the prospect of an all American cast.

Wonder how he did o:
Can anyone report back?

Cv611 Profile Photo
Cv611
#131Cursed Child covers/understudies
Posted: 9/24/18 at 8:01am

Just saw Sam (Albus) post on Instagram a boomerang of a Virgin Atlantic plane....doesn’t seem like he will be in this week...

Was Jamie Parker back in on sunday?

Danielle0314
#132Cursed Child covers/understudies
Posted: 9/24/18 at 9:29am

Cv611 said: "Just saw Sam (Albus) post on Instagram a boomerang of a Virgin Atlantic plane....doesn’t seem like he will be in this week..."

I saw the same, as well as a pic of him with someone and the caption have a good trip back or something along those lines. Wonder who will play Albus this time!

MNfan
#133Cursed Child covers/understudies
Posted: 9/24/18 at 10:00am

Saw John Skelley for his debut as Harry Potter. Had fab seats and didn’t realize he was understudy until I saw this message. He was terrific! Very emotional portrayal of father’s relationship w son. Happy to see have seen him.

Updated On: 9/25/18 at 10:00 AM

john21
#134Cursed Child covers/understudies
Posted: 9/24/18 at 7:20pm

Updated On: 9/24/18 at 07:20 PM

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#135Cursed Child covers/understudies
Posted: 9/24/18 at 8:07pm

john21 said: "He did point out, however, that you wouldn't want to miss Sam Clement as Albus or Anthony Boyle as Scorpius. "

See and I had an understudy for Albus and as I mentioned earlier in the topic I did not realize it at ALL. Nothing was lost at all without Clement in the role. And from where I sat, couldn't make out faces or anything so it even from a distance up in the balcony looked like him.

_john
#136Cursed Child covers/understudies
Posted: 9/24/18 at 8:08pm

I have only seen John Skelley as Harry Potter, but he did a fantastic job. He didn't seem to miss a beat and was very convincing. They really have this show locked down. 

Being from out of town, I was quite bummed out to miss out on Jamie Parker so I asked a few ushers how Skelley compares to Parker in this role. I was told by one that Parker comes off as somewhat "cartoony," while Skelley comes off as more "serious." Another usher told me that the two actors deliver very convincing performances and that you weren't losing out by seeing John Skelley instead instead of Jamie Parker. He did point out, however, that you wouldn't want to miss Sam Clemmett as Albus or Anthony Boyle as Scorpius. The following day, I ran into another person who went to the same show as me and he said he didn't even realize John Skelley was covering for Jamie Parker. He thought the show was great.

Hope that helps. 

Updated On: 9/24/18 at 08:08 PM

_john
#137Cursed Child covers/understudies
Posted: 9/24/18 at 10:41pm

Scarlet Leigh said: "Nothing was lost at all without Clemmett in the role."

Seems like they have this production locked up so that anyone who goes on stage representing the brand will fit the role to give a great performance. It really comes down to opinion and subjectivity. I haven't heard any bad things about any of the alternates in these shows. 

Updated On: 9/24/18 at 10:41 PM

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#138Cursed Child covers/understudies
Posted: 9/24/18 at 10:46pm

It's Sam Clemmett, not Clement. 

jordynmcanany
#139Cursed Child covers/understudies
Posted: 9/24/18 at 11:27pm

_john said: "He did point out, however, that you wouldn't want to miss Sam Clemmett as Albus or Anthony Boyle as Scorpius."

This, in my opinion, is largely due to the fact that there is so much content to go off of as Harry. So while Jamie Parker literally IS Harry Potter to me ever since seeing him, he wasn't the original Harry Potter.

Whereas in many ways Sam and Anthony are Albus and Scorpius. When playing Harry, everything is already there. Years and years of backstory. But with Scorpius and Albus, it's largely just the script, not even a full chapter of epilogue, and then the rest is all their own.

I feel like with understudies it's a bit different because I reckon they kind of try to emulate the original chemisty, but I'm so excited/nervous/upset/mixed emotions for cast change because I feel as though with a cast change, the characters themselves could be vastly different. Especially Albus who, imo, is largely an internally driven character. His motives really could differ so greatly depending on line delivery. Same with Scorpius, but imo to a lesser extent.

I do agree with most people that Anthony is absolutely a standout - maybe even more than most, because he was the exact opposite of what I had envisioned and yet my disappointment was washed away almost immediately due to just how simply fantastic he was.

But poor Sam just doesn't get enough credit. A lot of Albus was a creation, imo, of his own. And while I can't speak too much as I haven't seen anyone else play the part, I feel as though his presence might not have been detected due to emulation, not necessarily that he himself doesn't bring anything special to the role.

Updated On: 9/24/18 at 11:27 PM

Lauren2
#140Cursed Child covers/understudies
Posted: 9/25/18 at 1:06am

Does anyone know the exact cast change date? Trying to come up again in March and I know that is when they usually change the cast and I have to see the original before they leave! But I totally agree with you on everything.

jordynmcanany
#141Cursed Child covers/understudies
Posted: 9/25/18 at 2:57am

No one knows the exact date. I’d try to come as early as possible in March, preferably before the 10th

Danielle0314
#142Cursed Child covers/understudies
Posted: 9/26/18 at 2:06pm

Anyone know yet who's going on as Albus today?

Cv611 Profile Photo
Cv611
#143Cursed Child covers/understudies
Posted: 9/27/18 at 6:56pm

Danielle0314 said: "Anyone know yet who's going on as Albus today?"

I’m seeing the show tonight. It’s James Romney in for Sam. Everyone else is in.

atuomala Profile Photo
atuomala
#144Cursed Child covers/understudies
Posted: 9/27/18 at 8:47pm

Lauren2 said: "Does anyone know the exact cast change date? Trying to come up again in March and I know that is when they usually change the cast and I have to see the original before they leave! But I totally agree with you on everything. "

Rumor on another post is that the new cast will begin performances March 20

"Mostly, I loved the size of these people's emotions. Nobody has emotions this size anymore. Outsized emotions. Operatic emotions. Kushemski and Vanda are like Tristan and Isolde, they're Paolo and Francesca. Nobody's in total thrall like this anymore. Nobody's overcome by passion like this, or goes through this kind of rage." Thomas, Venus in Fur

_john
#145Cursed Child covers/understudies
Posted: 9/27/18 at 9:34pm

atuomala said: "Rumor on another post is that the new cast will begin performances March 20"

They are only doing Part One on Wednesday, March 20th, followed by part two on Thursday with no show on Friday. This would make a lot of sense if they are bringing in a new cast...

Lauren2
#146Cursed Child covers/understudies
Posted: 10/5/18 at 9:45pm

So I was watching Instagram and it seems like Nathan S is going to go on as Scorpius sometime soon. They didn’t say any dates because they can’t but someone said to watch out for him.

Cv611 Profile Photo
Cv611
#147Cursed Child covers/understudies
Posted: 10/8/18 at 9:22am

Where on Instagram did you see this? I have tickets this month with my husband and really wanted him to see Anthony.

Lauren2
#148Cursed Child covers/understudies
Posted: 10/9/18 at 6:37am

He was just in a snap with his music director and Casey Cott for his solo show and it was mentioned. I have no idea tho.

Danielle0314
#149Cursed Child covers/understudies
Posted: 10/9/18 at 3:41pm

Unless it's a very quick trip, looks like Paul is on vacation this week. So first time for a Ron Weasley understudy!