pixeltracker

BEST ACTRESS in a musical PREDICTIONS- Page 3

BEST ACTRESS in a musical PREDICTIONS

AberJ012
#50BEST ACTRESS in a musical PREDICTIONS
Posted: 4/4/19 at 4:55pm

Is this the best performance Stephanie J. Block has ever given? Probably not. As much as I love Dear Evan Hansen, and I LOVED it, I still think Stephanie's performance in Falsettos should have been recognized by the Tonys. It was simply brilliant. Still, while The Cher Show might not be the best musical of the season, Stephanie is giving a TOUR DE FORCE performance in the show. It deserves a nomination. If the "it's long overdue" sentiment pushes her over to a win, so be it. It's no secret that by now she deserves more than one Tony Award.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#51BEST ACTRESS in a musical PREDICTIONS
Posted: 4/4/19 at 7:18pm

JSquared2 said: "Yes, I am. That;'s why I said it."

yes

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#52BEST ACTRESS in a musical PREDICTIONS
Posted: 4/4/19 at 9:55pm

Agree this is Block's.

I've been saying all season it's likely hers because she's overdue and it's a weak year. If KISS ME KATE was a bigger hit and O'Hara and out-and-out smash, then perhaps she quickly picks up a second one. But that didn't exactly happen. (I think there's a chance O'Hara still nabs a Drama Desk or Outer Critics, possibly, though.)

And if OK wasn't such a divisive production and was a runaway hit, perhaps it could even become Jones. But I think it'll likely garner a lot of nods and be lucky for a win or two.

On the note of Featured Actress, no one is saying it but I'd love to see Testa. Her performance in the last scene seared onto my brain and ran away with the show for me. And so overdue. But agree Gray is far showier in HADESTOWN, if in my taste, with diminishing returns.

BdwyFan
#53BEST ACTRESS in a musical PREDICTIONS
Posted: 4/5/19 at 8:08pm

As an actress and from a pure performance standpoint I kinda have to say Beth Leavel is really really good

Rogerdellibovi Profile Photo
Rogerdellibovi
#54BEST ACTRESS in a musical PREDICTIONS
Posted: 4/5/19 at 9:00pm

BdwyFan said: "As an actress and from a pure performance standpoint I kinda have to say Beth Leavel is really really good"

Totally agree. I just feel like she’s in the O’Hara boat of “doing good work but not good enough to get a second tony for”. It’s SJB’s time

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#55BEST ACTRESS in a musical PREDICTIONS
Posted: 4/5/19 at 10:25pm

DeShields should win Best Actor In A Musical. He is the heart of Hadestown. At 73, he is a force of nature and thrilling from start to finish. Page should received Best Featured Actor. 

Block will win, a la Glenn Close in Sunset-a bravado performance in a mediocre show. This wouldn't be giving SJB a career Tony. She is completely transformed. She ACTS Cher. She's not doing some campy drag thing. She sings her face off and changes costumes to deliver one line. This role is a crown on her incredible career. Something she should be endlessly proud of. She never sleep walks this role. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#56BEST ACTRESS in a musical PREDICTIONS
Posted: 4/6/19 at 3:23am

It seems that the acting nominations for the straight plays will be much more exciting than the acting nominations for the musical categories.

dphibbs94
#57BEST ACTRESS in a musical PREDICTIONS
Posted: 4/6/19 at 8:49am

Don't get me wrong, I love me some SJB, but all of the promotional performances and things I've heard from The Cher Show have left me less than impressed. It seems like a rather okay impersonation of Cher now and not Cher through the years. Granted I haven't seen it. 

I'm pushing for either RNJ or Eva (I've seen both of their respective productions). RNJ is the only time I've believed Laurie in any production of Oklahoma. Eva is giving you everything in Hadestown.

Kelli is great, but it isn't really a career defining performance. 

AngusN
#58BEST ACTRESS in a musical PREDICTIONS
Posted: 4/6/19 at 11:06am

dphibbs94 said: "Don't get me wrong, I love me some SJB, but all of the promotional performances and things I've heard from The Cher Show have left me less than impressed. It seems like a rather okay impersonation of Cher now and not Cher through the years. Granted I haven't seen it.

It’s definitely not an ‘okay imprersonation’; SJB is extraordinary in this role - she gives a tour de force performance, capturing all Cher’s nuances and idiosyncratic mannerisms, without it appearing camp or OTT. If you saw it, you’d agree she is phenomenal.

getupngo Profile Photo
getupngo
#59BEST ACTRESS in a musical PREDICTIONS
Posted: 4/6/19 at 11:54am

Am I the only one here that feels that Amber is more of a leading role than Eva? But if they're smart, they'll keep Amber in supporting to make sure she wins.

rougeduck Profile Photo
rougeduck
#60BEST ACTRESS in a musical PREDICTIONS
Posted: 4/7/19 at 9:52pm

Critics across the board are in love with RNJ in the darling of the season. Could she possibly be at the top of the conversation now?

Zion24
#61BEST ACTRESS in a musical PREDICTIONS
Posted: 4/7/19 at 10:04pm

rougeduck said: "Criticsacross the board are in love with RNJ in thedarling of the season. Could she possibly be at the top of the conversation now?"

These reviews guarantee them all nominations. I've always thought RNJ was a strong contender behind Block, and I still do, but I don't think these reviews highlighted her in a way that changes that dynamic. I do think they will want to reward Oklahoma's actors, and i think Damon and Ali Stoker have better chances based on these reviews (though i guess the Hadestown and Tootsie reviews will speak to that...) 

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#62BEST ACTRESS in a musical PREDICTIONS
Posted: 4/8/19 at 4:20pm

I have a feeling it will be between Beth and Kelli.  

I just can't wrap my head around SJB winning for Cher. She's crazy talented, but the material she is given to work with is just...let's just go with 'weak,' to put it nicely.

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#63BEST ACTRESS in a musical PREDICTIONS
Posted: 4/8/19 at 4:30pm

WiCkEDrOcKS said: "I have a feeling it will be between Beth and Kelli.

I just can't wrap my head around SJB winning for Cher. She's crazy talented, but the material she is given to work with is just...let's just go with 'weak,' to put it nicely.
"

I'm with you on this. SJB is a fantastic performer, but all of these comments about how mind-blowing her Cher performance was... I feel like I might have been watching a different show? She was no doubt an excellent Cher, but the weakness of the show itself makes it really hard for me to picture her winning for it. It was too cruise shippy for me to take seriously as an award contender. 

After seeing Oklahoma last week, I'm pulling for either RNJ or Beth Leavel. Imho both of those performances went far beyond what was written on the page, and both have really stuck with me in a way that the others haven't. (Disclaimer that I haven't seen Hadestown yet.)

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#64BEST ACTRESS in a musical PREDICTIONS
Posted: 4/8/19 at 4:32pm

WiCkEDrOcKS said: "I have a feeling it will be between Beth and Kelli.

"

I'm with you. I LOVED Stephanie, but it's not the kind of role that screams TONY!!!!  I honestly think this is Kelli's to lose barring any strange rulings regarding Hadestown.