GARY Reviews

binau Profile Photo
binau
#50GARY Reviews
Posted: 4/22/19 at 8:21pm

After Eight, I’m dying to hear what you thought of this show. If you found “Changing My Major” offensive (especially the line ass in Levi’s) I can only imagine how you must feel about this show.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

After Eight
#51GARY Reviews
Posted: 4/22/19 at 8:59pm

Qolbinau,

I didn't go, and I don't intend to.

chanel
RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#53GARY Reviews
Posted: 4/23/19 at 10:14pm

Saw this tonight - sat next to Alice Ripley no less - and agree with most of the reviews. It's a mess, but it's an enjoyable mess. I think it starts very strong, but then kind of lags, and then revs up again. I've seen all the actors do other work - and great work at that - so I don't know why it felt like they were actively shouting at us at times. I felt bad for Julie White's voice. I felt like it was going to give out at any minute. But I loved the design, but I thought some of the physical comedy was a bit telegraphed. It didn't seem spontaneous and therefore made the joke a little ho-hum. All in all, I'd recommend it, but not sure I'd say it's a must see unless you're a fan of the actors - which I am. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#54GARY Reviews
Posted: 4/27/19 at 2:56pm

Incredible article with the details of what happened to Andrea (interestingly, at one point they tried to continue the show with her but it wasn't working), and the logistics behind how everyone came together to save the show. At one point, they even considered having script in hand in public performances for Nielsen!

I wish we had detailed accounts like this of all shows. 

https://deadline.com/2019/04/nathan-lane-broadway-andrea-martin-gary-sequel-titus-andronicus-1202602573/

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#55GARY Reviews
Posted: 4/27/19 at 3:40pm

Thanks for posting that, a great read! one question: what was the reference to Shirley MacLaine?  A jab at her belief in previous lives?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#56GARY Reviews
Posted: 4/27/19 at 4:26pm

Just caught GARY for the second time this afternoon after seeing the first preview. The performances are definitely a lot more polished, and the show itself and pacing are a lot tighter. That being said, I STILL just didn't LOVE this... While I am glad I gave this show a second chance (especially considering I was at the first preview before), I can't say that my opinion on the show has changed.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#57GARY Reviews
Posted: 4/27/19 at 4:30pm

dramamama611 said: "Thanks for posting that, a great read! one question: what was the reference to Shirley MacLaine?A jab at her belief in previous lives?"

It’s likely a direct reference to when MacLaine was an understudy to Carol Haney in The Pajama Game and had to suddenly take the role full time when Haney broke her ankle, and MacLaine was discovered by Paramount from that performance

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#58GARY Reviews
Posted: 4/29/19 at 4:01pm

Loved that piece. Loved hearing how that all went down and how committed they were to the vision and ambition of the play.

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#59GARY Reviews
Posted: 4/30/19 at 12:56pm

Loved this one-of-a-kind show with its 3 captivating performances, but I wish Nathan Lane was not wearing the white make up on his face. His facial expressions were a bit hard to read from upstairs, but I always enjoy his trademark white handkerchief.

FolliesFan
#60GARY Reviews
Posted: 5/27/19 at 4:10pm

Broadway World's Richard Ridge is doing a live interview with Tony Award winning director George C. Wolfe this coming Thursday at noon and it is FREE. It is open to the public and you can bring a guest. Just click through the invite and sign in as anon SAG member. Its that easy.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/BWW-Invite-RSVP-Now-to-Watch-a-Live-QA-With-Tony-Nominated-Director-George-C-Wolfe-20190526

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#61GARY Reviews
Posted: 5/27/19 at 4:15pm

bwayphreak234 said: "Just caught GARY for the second time this afternoon after seeing the first preview. The performances are definitely a lot more polished, and the show itself and pacing are a lot tighter. That being said, I STILL just didn't LOVE this... While I am glad I gave this show a second chance (especially considering I was at the first preview before), I can't say that my opinion on the show has changed."

I'd give it at least two more times before you decide for sure...

DoTheDood Profile Photo
DoTheDood
#62GARY Reviews
Posted: 5/27/19 at 4:29pm

BalconyClub said: "Loved this one-of-a-kind show with its 3 captivating performances, but I wish Nathan Lane was not wearing the white make up on his face. His facial expressions were a bit hard to read from upstairs, but I always enjoy his trademark white handkerchief."

I was the absolute last row of the Booth when I saw this and did not see this as a problem. I understand it would be harder for some people to see those expressions, but he wipes it off near the beginning of the show, so that's another reason why that wasn't a huge for me.