pixeltracker

2019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread- Page 13

2019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread

Blue207
#3002019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/10/19 at 11:07pm

ChildofEarth said: "I saw a news report (CBS) that said ticket sales for Hadestown went up 1,300% ....that’s insane and the best musical title obviously does still mean something no matter what the ratings are."

I figured they’d go up significantly, but that’s a huge increase! I will say that I haven’t seen it yet and wasn’t too sold on the story, but I liked their performance a lot more than I expected. Maybe that changed other people’s minds about the show as well.

I have no interest in seeing Beetlejuice, but their performance was surprisingly funny. The Cher Show, though, was a complete train wreck. I saw Tootsie during the tryout in Chicago in the fall and it was a really enjoyable night at the theater... too bad they couldn’t showcase one of their better numbers, but Santino absolutely deserved the Tony win.

I thought James Corden would be much funnier, but found his whole performance very forgettable and even boring. I just kept thinking that all I really wanted for this Tony Awards was for Audra McDonald to sing.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#3012019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/11/19 at 12:54am

poisonivy2 said: "This "losing face" skit is pretty funny."

I think it would have been funny had Corden went to Audra and started to ask her, and then said "Oh, wait, you always win" (even though she hasn't always won). 

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#3022019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/11/19 at 1:11am

ChildOfEarth, you have badly misquoted the Reuters article. It says:

"Ticket sales for “Hadestown” increased by more than 1,300% on Sunday thanks to the Tony exposure, online booking platform TodayTix.com said." Full Article

That's a 1.3k% increase in TODAYTIX (a third-party ticket broker) sales for Hadestown –– not a 1.3k% increase in its wrap the day after the Tonys. TodayTix might only sell 150 tix to Hadestown on a normal day, which would mean they sold 2,000 today... 

Updated On: 6/11/19 at 01:11 AM

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#3032019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/11/19 at 8:55am

Just watched the opening number--wish I hadn't. Nothing clever, wish he didn't have to sing, his gimmick is getting old very fast and performers running down the aisles[again!]-really?

With all that money and talent at their disposal and that's the best they could do?

Mr James might be a very good chat show host but a frustrated performer he is just that--he would never get a call back.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3042019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/11/19 at 9:37am

Yes, I'm sure the Tony Award Mr Corden has on his mantle tells him he'll never get a call back.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#3052019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/11/19 at 10:30am

"This has been an incredibly boring Tony Awards.  "

I agree. When "Michael In The Bathroom" spoof is one of the highlights to me then that is saying something about the other performances.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#3062019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/11/19 at 10:41am

It took longer than usual to get this year's equivalent to the "WORST TONYS EVER" post, so I'd say this was one of the better broadcasts.  Especially considering every Tonys broadcast is always the worst ever.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#3072019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/11/19 at 11:47am

SomethingPeculiar said: "ChildOfEarth, you have badly misquoted the Reuters article. It says:

"Ticket sales for “Hadestown” increased by more than 1,300% on Sunday thanks to the Tony exposure, online booking platform TodayTix.com said." Full Article

That's a 1.3k% increase inTODAYTIX(a third-party ticket broker)sales forHadestown ––not a 1.3k% increase in its wrap the day after the Tonys. TodayTix might only sell 150 tix to Hadestown on a normal day, which would mean they sold 2,000 today...
"

Well as I said, I was quoting what was said on CBS morning news which never specified Today Tix, so blame them 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3082019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/11/19 at 2:42pm

and that's STILL damn impressive.  I'm sure that the regular box office also saw a big jump in sales today - the winning musical almost always does!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BroadwayMarley
#3092019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/11/19 at 2:47pm

Most broadway productions do in fact lose money -- hence the risk.  However, the reason that the investment is limited to accredited investors is not because of the risk but because the show is not raising money through a public offering that would require full disclosure of the terms of the offering and the risk.   

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#3102019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/11/19 at 3:46pm

"It took longer than usual to get this year's equivalent to the "WORST TONYS EVER" post, so I'd say this was one of the better broadcasts.  Especially considering every Tonys broadcast is always the worst ever."

I may be wrong (ha ha) but the year "Hamilton" won everything I don't remember many people saying the broadcast was the worst one ever.

Updated On: 6/11/19 at 03:46 PM

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#3112019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/11/19 at 5:33pm

dramamama611 said: "Yes, I'm sure the Tony Award Mr Corden has on his mantle tells him he'll never get a call back."

A silly[and sarcastic] response. Just because someone[or a show] gets a Tony doesn't mean an award changes my opinion.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#3122019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/12/19 at 12:36am

dramamama611 said: "Yes, I'm sure the Tony Award Mr Corden has on his mantle tells him he'll never get a call back."

^ This. Exactly!!! 

Zion24
#3132019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/12/19 at 12:49am

SweetLips22 said: A silly[and sarcastic] response. Just because someone[or a show] gets a Tony doesn't mean an award changes my opinion."

Sarcastic, yes but silly how? You suggested Corden couldnt get a call back. Setting aside his fame, he has previously won a Tony for a pretty universally liked performance in a pretty universally liked show. His acting chops pre-date his fame. Implying he doesnt have what it takes to be on Broadway is simply wrong, on its face, regardless of your opinion about his actual abilities (and I agree he was generally weaker this year than I had expected). Still, pot calling the kettle silly....

magictodo123
#3142019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/12/19 at 7:46am

What really bothered me was the response from stan twitter when Santino won. From "time to take a bathroom break" to "I guess we don't have a best actor this year", it was totally wrong. I even heard that on Instagram people were targeting Santino as well as his pregnant wife who has NOTHING to do with the show, and no matter your opinion on a show, it is NEVER okay to target an actor or their wife. Someone apparently said they hope he gets hit by one of the Hadestown lights. I can't even with how inappropriate they're being. I'm sorry for bring Twitter drama on here, I am, but I thought people should know. 

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#3152019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/12/19 at 8:24am

"and that's STILL damn impressive.  I'm sure that the regular box office also saw a big jump in sales today - the winning musical almost always does!"

In the end, that is the only award that really moves the the box office sales. I don't think any of the other awards really help that much. 

magictodo123
#3162019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/12/19 at 8:42am

yankeefan7 said: ""and that's STILL damn impressive. I'm sure that the regular box office also saw a big jump in sales today - the winning musical almost always does!"

In the end, that is the only award that really moves the the box office sales. I don't think any of the other awards really help that much.
"

I don't know about that...after The Proms performance they apparently sold a lot of tickets! 

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#3172019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/12/19 at 8:49am

"I don't know about that...after The Proms performance they apparently sold a lot of tickets! "

That is nice to hear but I don't think that happens quite often. I remember a few years ago, I thought "Bandstand" killed it with their Tony performance and they won award for "Best Choreography". It sold some tickets but did not help them stay running very long.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#3182019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/12/19 at 1:08pm

Can we have a new Tony category for best virtue signalling during the show? 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000