Ali Stroker Attendance?

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#25Ali Stroker Attendance?
Posted: 11/11/19 at 8:25pm

LuPita2 said: "Rebecca Naomi Jones has started shooting a series in Atlanta, and announced a few weeks she would now be in and out of the show until closing. Also, Denver fills in for Damon a couple times a week still."

Yeah I forgot to mention that as well. Denver was on for Damon both shows last Wednesday. He was really great. If I didn't know Damon's work pretty well, I would have said that Denver was the full time actor in the role. Great chemistry with Rebecca.

ModernMillie3 Profile Photo
ModernMillie3
#26Ali Stroker Attendance?
Posted: 11/11/19 at 9:30pm

They all have alternates it seems. Yes, I have failed to see Damon (twice) now, but Denver's chemistry with Rebecca and his gorgeous voice made up for it. 

Zion24
#27Ali Stroker Attendance?
Posted: 11/11/19 at 11:21pm

Not sure how they are going to handle Jones' absences if Hutchins is doing matinees as Ado Annie? I'd like to see it again before it closes, preferably with Jones and Vail but she is going to be shooting that Aretha Franklin series in Atlanta and I imagine they will have to bring someone else in to cover? (fingers crossed, whispers to self: Amber Gray, Amber Gray, Amber Gray)

SoCalDirector
#28Ali Stroker Attendance?
Posted: 11/12/19 at 12:43am

Ali was the main reason I had for wanting to see Oklahoma! I had seen her in Spring Awakening before.

She was out the performance I attended. Her understudy was the dance captain, pretty much as far from Ali as any performer could be. It was a major disappointment.

I walked out at intermission. That's the first Broadway show I've ever walked out of in many years of theatre going.

Miles Robert Mills

ModernMillie3
#29Ali Stroker Attendance?
Posted: 11/12/19 at 12:49am

JDonaghy4 said: "Not sure how they are going to handle Jones' absences if Hutchins is doing matinees as Ado Annie? I'd like to see it again before it closes, preferably with Jones and Vail but she is going to be shooting that Aretha Franklin series in Atlanta and I imagine they will have to bring someone else in to cover? (fingers crossed, whispers to self: Amber Gray, Amber Gray, Amber Gray)"

Lupita already stated the fact that she is now shooting in Atlanta. so no need to repeat it. There are two women that cover both parts, so I'm sure Chelsea Lee Williams will be covering for Rebecca. Amber Gray is starring in Hadestown. This show closes in January. Obviously, she won't be in it. 

djoko84
#30Ali Stroker Attendance?
Posted: 11/12/19 at 12:08pm

When I went to the show in the heart of Tony season a few months ago she was out for the performance. Mary Testa then called out after the intermission. I was very disappointed, but their understudies were quite good. I didn't like the show anyway so I felt I didn't miss much.

mxfish1313
#31Ali Stroker Attendance?
Posted: 11/12/19 at 2:42pm

I saw this back in mid-October and was thinking I might miss seeing Ali and/or Damon, due to reports of their absences. I was bummed, but it was good to go in expecting that. Well when I DID see it, they were both in, but Rebecca was out (U/S was Sasha). I was just laughing with my mom about how she was someone I really wanted to see, but I just hadn't even been thinking I might miss her. We all know there's always a possibility, but I spent so much time saying "I hope Ali and Damon are in!" that it was pretty typical for that pendulum to swing from the other direction.

I thought Sasha was fine as Laurey. I never cared too much for the character and was hoping seeing RNJ's performance might give me a new view (as others had said), but Sasha's version definitely didn't change anything for me. Everyone else was  absolutely brilliant. Will Brill and Patrick Vail were definitely the standouts, for me.

Pashacar
#32Ali Stroker Attendance?
Posted: 11/12/19 at 4:49pm

mxfish1313 said: "I saw this back in mid-October and was thinking I might miss seeing Ali and/or Damon, due to reports of their absences. I was bummed, but it was good to go in expecting that. Well when I DID see it, they were both in, but Rebecca was out (U/S was Sasha). I was just laughing with my mom about how she was someone I really wanted to see, but I just hadn't even been thinking I might miss her. We all know there's always a possibility, but I spent so much time saying "I hope Ali and Damon are in!" that it was pretty typical for that pendulum to swing from the other direction.

I thought Sasha was fine as Laurey. I never cared too much for the character and was hoping seeing RNJ's performance might give me a new view (as others had said), but Sasha's version definitely didn't change anything for me. Everyone else was absolutely brilliant. Will Brill and Patrick Vail were definitely the standouts, for me.
"

I adore RNJ, but she is giving by far the least essential performance among the leads here. Consider yourself lucky Will Brill, Ali, and Damon were in.

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#33Ali Stroker Attendance?
Posted: 11/12/19 at 6:36pm

Pashacar said: "I adore RNJ, but she is giving by far the least essential performance among the leads here. Consider yourself lucky Will Brill, Ali, and Damon were in."

There were moments in RNJ's performance I found her to be totally brilliant. Her face and her reactions during the entire end sequence was captivating. But then other moments, she felt far to cold and distant and it made one wonder why one guy would pine after her let alone two of them that fight over her.

Zion24
#34Ali Stroker Attendance?
Posted: 11/12/19 at 7:52pm

ModernMillie3 said: "JDonaghy4 said: "Not sure how they are going to handle Jones' absences if Hutchins is doing matinees as Ado Annie? I'd like to see it again before it closes, preferably with Jones and Vail but she is going to be shooting that Aretha Franklin series in Atlanta and I imagine they will have to bring someone else in to cover? (fingers crossed, whispers to self: Amber Gray, Amber Gray, Amber Gray)"

Lupita already stated the fact that she is now shooting in Atlanta. so no need to repeat it. There are two women that cover both parts, so I'm sure Chelsea Lee Williams will be covering for Rebecca. Amber Gray is starring in Hadestown.This show closes in January. Obviously, she won't be in it.
"

You seem pleasant! 

I wasnt seriously suggesting Amber Gray was gonna leave Hadestown. A boy can dream. 

ModernMillie3
#35Ali Stroker Attendance?
Posted: 11/12/19 at 7:54pm

I am pleasant. Pleasantly informed Ali Stroker Attendance?

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#36Ali Stroker Attendance?
Posted: 11/12/19 at 8:25pm

I just feel grateful that I caught the cast when they were all in. Seems like that's actually hard to do nowadays.

jjcasual
#37Ali Stroker Attendance?
Posted: 11/13/19 at 9:24am

Scarlet Leigh said: "LuPita2 said: "Rebecca Naomi Jones has started shooting a series in Atlanta, and announced a few weeks she would now be in and out of the show until closing. Also, Denver fills in for Damon a couple times a week still."

Yeah I forgot to mention that as well. Denver was on for Damon both shows last Wednesday. He was really great. If I didn't know Damon's work pretty well, I would have said that Denver was the full time actor in the role. Great chemistry with Rebecca.
"

Does anybody know if Damon has regularly scheduled absences? Since I missed him on my first visit, I'd like to catch him in the show before it closes. That said, I thought Denver was phenomenal.

I also saw a tweet saying Sasha will be Laurey through Thanksgiving. I have no idea how to link it, but it's here: https://twitter.com/OCUNYC/status/1194424920769466369?s=20 Updated On: 11/13/19 at 09:24 AM