pixeltracker

The Inheritance - Previews- Page 16

The Inheritance - Previews

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#375The Inheritance - Previews
Posted: 1/6/20 at 11:25am

I can report that two separate evenings when I considered Pt 2 at TKTS, it had not been on TDF. And it stayed up at TKTS until curtain. (I finally finagled a TDF seat).  I now think -- in January -- you'll get a shot at just about any performance of either part at TKTS.  It's always up, and again, stays up. I've never seen both halves sold together there. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#376The Inheritance - Previews
Posted: 1/6/20 at 11:47am

Auggie27 said: "I can report that two separate evenings when I considered Pt 2 at TKTS, it had not been on TDF. And it stayed up at TKTSuntil curtain. (I finally finagled a TDF seat). I now think -- in January -- you'll get a shot at just about any performance of either part at TKTS. It's always up, and again, stays up. I've never seen both halves sold together there."

Thank you! Only annoying thing is, am I going to have to go back to buy the second part? Or can I purchase both before the matinee?

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

SGarrett2
#377The Inheritance - Previews
Posted: 1/6/20 at 10:31pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Has anyone done rush for the show lately? I’m curious where where the seats have been."

I rushed last Friday1/3. I got a rush seat at 5pm and got seat A3. Nice and close to the stage but occasionally had some of the actors downstage blocking people further upstage, but really can't complain for $40.

ChihuahuaDad
#378The Inheritance - Previews
Posted: 1/7/20 at 6:10am

IdinaBellFoster said: "Has anyone bought tickets at TKTS day of? Are you able to buy both parts at once? I'm planning on seeing it this Saturday but have held off purchasing due to prices."

I've seen both parts listed at the same time on the TKTS app on two-show days, but just at the Lincoln Center location, never at Times Square, and only about one hour before Part 1 curtain. 

Updated On: 1/7/20 at 06:10 AM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#379The Inheritance - Previews
Posted: 1/15/20 at 8:18pm

I did rush today and got a great seat in the third row. And I arrived just before curtain to try, so definitely recommend rush to anyone who really wants to see this.

But I was deeply unimpressed with the writing and won't be going back for Part 2. I've happily sat through 12 and 24-hour-long shows, but these three hours were interminable. It would just be a bad soap with sitcom jokes if it didn't constantly take shortcuts toward affectations of momentous meaning and communal history without earning any of it. I found it pretty vulgar on top of being dull.

220Basswood
#380The Inheritance - Previews
Posted: 1/15/20 at 9:46pm

Scarywarhol said: "I did rush today and got a great seat in the third row. And I arrived just before curtain to try, so definitely recommend rush to anyone who really wants to see this.

But I was deeply unimpressed with the writing and won't be going back for Part 2. I've happily sat through 12 and 24-hour-long shows, but these three hours were interminable. It would just be a bad soap with sitcom jokes if it didn't constantly take shortcuts toward affectations of momentous meaning and communal history without earning any of it. I found it pretty vulgar on top of being dull.
"

I agree that part one was ultra slow and boring.  However, part two was infinitely better.

pathman2
#381The Inheritance - Previews
Posted: 2/8/20 at 10:34am

I see the play is being published again on 3/3/20 and assume this is the updated version. The earlier edition is impossible to buy in the US right now. Does anyone know how different the two scripts are?

clever2 Profile Photo
clever2
#382The Inheritance - Previews
Posted: 2/8/20 at 10:42am

In previews, Toby had an incredible monologue at the end of Part 2, Act 3. The writing was incredible and it was Andrew Burnap’s Tony moment. The monologue has been cut to nearly nothing now, which made suffering through the play again so very not worth it. Of all the things to remove from this turkey, Lopez cut one of its truly golden moments, and it was heartbreaking to realize how fundamentally misguided this playwright is.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#383The Inheritance - Previews
Posted: 2/8/20 at 11:08am

A rather defensive piece by Matthew Lopez in today's NYTimes regarding criticism of the play:

What I Wanted to Say in ‘The Inheritance.’ And What I Didn’t.

I did not find it particularly effective in dispelling any of my criticisms of the play; in fact, it seems designed to shut down dialogue rather than engage with it.

(his assertion that the play is an "examination of class, economic inequality, and poverty within the gay community - issues I have rarely seen depicted in theater" is kind of laughable to me, but okay).

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

clever2 Profile Photo
clever2
#384The Inheritance - Previews
Posted: 2/8/20 at 12:39pm

I sure did click that link and read that pompous ass’s whiny little op-ed. Hey Matt, your play is too long and spends far too much time talking about nothing than it does saying anything relevant. Yes, I know you love your little words and how they dangle together, their bumpy syllables forming endless sentences that seem to mine meaning from the soil beneath our shoes yet do little more than challenge actors to find the correct spots to catch a breath less they suffocate from your meandering abuse.

Less is more.

Your play is bad.

Updated On: 2/8/20 at 12:39 PM