pixeltracker

Harvey Weinstein confronted at Actor's Hour- Page 2

Harvey Weinstein confronted at Actor's Hour

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#25Harvey Weinstein confronted at Actor's Hour
Posted: 10/26/19 at 6:36pm

AADA81 said: "Wow, people are putting all sorts of words in my mouth. I said nothing about speaking truth to power, though in all accuracy, in this instance it was speaking assumed truth to power. My post was about rude and disrespectful behavior toward a stranger in public. It's quite possible to speak truth to power respectfully, without resorting to insults. You'll have a better chance of being heard and respected for your words."

There is no reason to show any kind of respect to Harvey Weinstein. None.

AADA81 Profile Photo
AADA81
#26Harvey Weinstein confronted at Actor's Hour
Posted: 10/26/19 at 6:45pm

Highland Guy said: Rachel Maddow's show this week was interesting, especially her comments regarding NBC.  She also interviewed Ronan Farrow, who has written extensively about Weinstein.

I think it's great that she did that.  To identify her own employer, NBC, as using questionable practices in the reporting of these stories and in doing only internal investigations when these stories involve NBC is gutsy.  I'm glad someone finally did that.  She also used the proper forum, her professional platform, and responsible, respectful language to make her point.  That leaves no one off the hook because she did everything right.  Good for her.

Updated On: 10/26/19 at 06:45 PM

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#27Harvey Weinstein confronted at Actor's Hour
Posted: 10/26/19 at 7:29pm

AADA81 said: "Wow, people are putting all sorts of words in my mouth. I said nothing about speaking truth to power, though in all accuracy, in this instance it was speaking assumed truth to power. My post was about rude and disrespectful behavior toward a stranger in public. It's quite possible to speak truth to power respectfully, without resorting to insults. You'll have a better chance of being heard and respected for your words."

Ignore the people adopting a bullying tone while pretending to speak for the oppressed. You didn't defend Weinstein or any rapist, you asked for civilized behavior at public gatherings. You're welcome here by many, and they will respond well to your posts in other threads--though sadly, I can tell you a few will continue the game of character assassination and attacks no matter what you say about anything. Well, it is the internet...

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#28Harvey Weinstein confronted at Actor's Hour
Posted: 10/26/19 at 7:35pm

joevitus said: "AADA81 said: "Wow, people are putting all sorts of words in my mouth. I said nothing about speaking truth to power, though in all accuracy, in this instance it was speaking assumed truth to power. My post was about rude and disrespectful behavior toward a stranger in public. It's quite possible to speak truth to power respectfully, without resorting to insults. You'll have a better chance of being heard and respected for your words."

Ignore the people adopting a bullying tonewhilepretending to speak for the oppressed. You didn't defend Weinstein or any rapist, you asked for civilized behavior at public gatherings. You're welcome here by many, and theywill respond well to your posts in other threads--though sadly, I can tell you a few will continue the game of character assassination and attacks no matter what you say about anything. Well, it is the internet...
"

YES.....to all the above.

Non sibi sed patriae
Updated On: 10/26/19 at 07:35 PM

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#29Harvey Weinstein confronted at Actor's Hour
Posted: 10/26/19 at 7:43pm

There is a special place in hell for those who defend rapists.

Highland Guy
#30Harvey Weinstein confronted at Actor's Hour
Posted: 10/26/19 at 7:48pm

poisonivy2 said: "There is a special place in hell for those who defend rapists."

Please be specific.  No one in this thread has defended a rapist.

Non sibi sed patriae

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#31Harvey Weinstein confronted at Actor's Hour
Posted: 10/26/19 at 7:53pm

AADA81 said: "When did it become the norm to call out, insult, yell at or disrespect total strangers in public? Whatever Weinstein is accused of doing is being addressed through the court system. Yelling at orinsulting a total stranger in public because he is an alleged abuser is ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR. It is hypocritical to excuse one's own abusive behavior because you think someone else deserves it. Abusive behavior is not acceptable under any circumstances."

@ Highland Guy this is the post that defended a rapist. So Harvey Weinstein can rape women with impunity but no one's allowed to be rude to him? 

AADA81 Profile Photo
AADA81
#32Harvey Weinstein confronted at Actor's Hour
Posted: 10/26/19 at 7:53pm

joevitus said: "AADA81 said: "Wow, people are putting all sorts of words in my mouth. I said nothing about speaking truth to power, though in all accuracy, in this instance it was speaking assumed truth to power. My post was about rude and disrespectful behavior toward a stranger in public. It's quite possible to speak truth to power respectfully, without resorting to insults. You'll have a better chance of being heard and respected for your words."

Ignore the people adopting a bullying tone while pretending to speak for the oppressed. You didn't defend Weinstein or any rapist, you asked for civilized behavior at public gatherings. You're welcome here by many, and they will respond well to your posts in other threads--though sadly, I can tell you a few will continue the game of character assassination and attacks no matter what you say about anything. Well, it is the internet...
"

I appreciate that, joevitas.  It is ironic that people who don't even comprehend what I actually said respond to their misinterpretation of what I said by being abusive toward me.  Civility and common decency are undervalued these days, it seems.

Updated On: 10/27/19 at 07:53 PM

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#33Harvey Weinstein confronted at Actor's Hour
Posted: 10/26/19 at 8:01pm

Civility is overrated. It only applies to rich powerful men accused of doing something horrible. Women (or men) who speak the truth about abusers are called liars, sluts, whores, out for money, and get death threats. Where's the civility for them? 

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#34Harvey Weinstein confronted at Actor's Hour
Posted: 10/26/19 at 8:05pm

YOU owe people an apology for saying the woman was talking out of turn when Harvey Weinstein richly deserves any and all abuse he gets.

Updated On: 10/27/19 at 08:05 PM

Highland Guy
#35Harvey Weinstein confronted at Actor's Hour
Posted: 10/26/19 at 8:15pm

poisonivy2 said: "Civility is overrated."

Which was proved when you and another person here said (and I paraphrase) that three BWW contributors (men) deserve a special place in Hell.  NO ONE defended a rapist, no matter how you try to spin the narrative.  

Non sibi sed patriae

AADA81 Profile Photo
AADA81
#36Harvey Weinstein confronted at Actor's Hour
Posted: 10/26/19 at 11:09pm

Highland Guy said: "And here is Maddow's interview with Farrow.

That is a great, professional interview and, wow, did Maddow stick her neck out for that.  Here's hoping what Maddow and Farrow believe could happen at NBC comes to pass.
Updated On: 10/26/19 at 11:09 PM

Highland Guy
#37Harvey Weinstein confronted at Actor's Hour
Posted: 10/27/19 at 12:35am

^^^^^^^^^^

At the beginning of her commentary, I thought she was going to discuss the incident at the club.  And then at the conclusion, I thought she might announce her resignation.  I am so glad she didn't.  She is a valuable commodity for MSNBC, and her departure would be a great loss.  The woman has balls.  I do believe that Farrow is a bit more optimistic about the changes coming about within the NBC organization than is Maddow, but change there will be.  Good on both of them.

And now this.  I have spent much of my life in service to this country.  And as a queer man, I have worked hard to support all minority communities, including the community of women.  I do not look kindly upon those who falsely accuse me and others here of defending accused rapists.  Anyone who wishes upon another contributor that they be assigned "a special place in Hell" should not be permitted to post in these forums.  Words matter.

Non sibi sed patriae
Updated On: 10/27/19 at 12:35 AM

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#38Harvey Weinstein confronted at Actor's Hour
Posted: 10/27/19 at 12:47am

Highland Guy said: "And now this. I have spent much of my life in service to this country. And as a queer man, I have worked hard to support all minority communities, including the community of women. I do not look kindly upon those who falsely accuse me and others here of defending accused rapists. Anyone who wishes upon another contributor that they be assigned "a special place in Hell" should not be permitted to post in these forums. Words matter."

Agreed. But apparently the moderators are just fine with it. SMH  

AADA81 Profile Photo
AADA81
#39Harvey Weinstein confronted at Actor's Hour
Posted: 10/27/19 at 1:07am

Highland Guy said: "^^^^^^^^^^

At the beginning of her commentary, I thought she was going todiscuss the incident at the club. And then at the conclusion, I thought she might announce her resignation. I am so glad she didn't. She is a valuable commodity for MSNBC, and her departure would be a great loss. The woman has balls. I do believe that Farrow is a bit more optimistic about the changes coming about within the NBC organization than is Maddow, but change there will be. Good on both of them.

And now this. I have spent much of my life in service to this country. And as a queer man, I have worked hard to support all minority communities, including the community of women. I do not look kindly upon those who falsely accuse me and others here of defending accused rapists. Anyone who wishes upon another contributor that they be assigned "a special place in Hell" should not be permitted to post in these forums. Words matter.
"

Well said, my friend.  I thought Maddow did a smashing job representing her point of view with clarity and purpose.  I'm hopeful (but not naive) that NBC will make the right decision.  As for your support of communities, I think the same way.  My friends and family call me a 'feminist' because of my very strong opinions on women's rights, so to have complete strangers accuse me of supporting rapists is, of course, ludicrous.  In any case, those posters exposed themselves for who they truly are without even realizing it, which is often the case with bullies, and words do matter.  Hopefully, others on this board will understand.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#40Harvey Weinstein confronted at Actor's Hour
Posted: 10/27/19 at 8:09am

You had the temerity to chastise this young lady about being “abusive” in public when Harvey Weinstein has abused hundreds of women. Like they are the same thing. Harvey Weinstein deserves all the abuse he gets. 

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#41Harvey Weinstein confronted at Actor's Hour
Posted: 10/27/19 at 8:55am

Weinstein has been accused of serious crimes, but is out on bail and has not had his day in court yet. So right now he is one of those innocent until proven guilty.

You know why the law makes a big deal out of this distinction between accused and convicted. It's because thousands of innocent men, mostly non-white, have been lynched and shot and beaten by an angry group of people who didn't think they had to wait for a conviction since there were a lot of accusers and the courts might find him not guilty on some technicality.

The difference with Weinstein is that he did not have his house surrounded by an angry group, and he was not found leaving the supermarket and people surrounded his car and put a brick through the windshield. He went into the enemy camp and could only expect the reaction that he got. Stay home, no problem.

A couple of articles were talking about his "planning his comeback." I don't know how he's going to make a comeback while in prison, but clearly this man is not contrite, He's the same arrogant creep that he's always been.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#42Harvey Weinstein confronted at Actor's Hour
Posted: 10/27/19 at 9:32am

There is no such thing as "innocent until proven guilty" for POC in this country. They're shot and killed in their own homes playing video games and eating ice cream. If they are accused of anything their bail is always so high so that they cannot be released.

The fact that Harvey Weinstein is even out on bail is preposterous. The guy is a menace to society. He cant be trusted around any man or woman considering his violent history.

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#43Harvey Weinstein confronted at Actor's Hour
Posted: 10/27/19 at 12:20pm

(I'm a woman, and a sexual abuse survivor.)

I shuddered the moment that handful of MEN in the audience heckled her and told her to shut up.

And I got chills when the women began cheering for her.

Let me tell you this: It doesn't matter who you are or how famous you are: whether you abuse, rape, or murder someone, you've given up your right to go about your life without inconvenience. Maybe a comedy night that included women wasn't the place for him to go if he wanted a pleasant night out.

Not that he ever deserves one in his life again.

Being a victim and being confronted with - especially unexpectedly - an accused abuser is rattling beyond words. So anyone defending him with "innocent until proven guilty" (or worse, "he didn't deserve to be treated that way")is, frankly, disgusting. That is just IN THE EYES OF THE LAW. Not in the court of public opinion, nor the court of individual trauma. Updated On: 10/27/19 at 12:20 PM

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#44Harvey Weinstein confronted at Actor's Hour
Posted: 10/27/19 at 1:11pm

Ol'Blue Eyes and that has to do with the systemic persecution and harassment of women who dare tell the truth about powerful men how?

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#45Harvey Weinstein confronted at Actor's Hour
Posted: 10/27/19 at 2:19pm

veronicamae said: "
Let me tell you this: It doesn't matter who you are or how famous you are: whether you abuse, rape, or murder someone, you've given up your right to go about your life without inconvenience. Maybe a comedy night that included women wasn't the place for him to go if he wanted a pleasant night out."

I fundamentally disagree with this. And since you've been brave enough to disclose that you are a sexual abuse survivor, I'll acknowledge that I was sexually abused in my teens. 

I think publicly shunning someone or making a pariah of one who has committed a crime and is awaiting trial, or who has served their time and been released back into public like,  is one thing. I think choosing to harass them publicly is another. We're supposed to be civilized people, and we shouldn't stop being that when others--even in very serious ways--commit terrible acts, even heinous ones.

People could have walked out when they saw Weinstein there. People could have stayed and refused to speak with him or anyone with him. Either course would have been impressive and made news. But to  verbally assault him publicly is to return to the days of putting people in the stocks.

It's part of a larger trend in our society to skip over process and proscribed remedies in favor of mob justice. Right now, people on the left only want to scream at people they no longer think deserve their rights, or to have them ejected from restaurants. But it's the other side of the same coin that has already lead to violence against minorities in the wake of Obama's presidency and Trump's election. There is a widespread belief in our society today that we don't have to treat people as fully human if we don't personally consider them fully human. And yes, people are adhering to this belief on both sides of the political spectrum. Trump parrots the "both sides" phrase for his own ends, but that he's abusing the phrase doesn't make the phrase itself false. And it genuinely frightens me. I think if this societal breakdown--which is what it amounts to--continues, all of us lose.

So I think the treatment of Weinstein at that event was wrong, while still believing that Weinstein is a repugnant person who will hopefully spend many, many years in prison. 

Updated On: 10/27/19 at 02:19 PM

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#46Harvey Weinstein confronted at Actor's Hour
Posted: 10/27/19 at 3:06pm

It's part of a larger trend in our society to skip over process and proscribed remedies in favor of mob justice. 

<,edited by BWW staff>> this nonsense. OJ was found not guilty for murdering 2 people despite what we all know to be the truth. Does that mean society should go on and welcome him back to it? That he gets all his endorsements back? That we pretend that everything is fine? Society is not held hostage to what a court says when the reality of a court is just the opinion of 12 people. That is literally all that it is. 

What you're saying is that Harvey Weinstein should have faced no repercussions and maintained his status in his company and in society up until a court case (months to years down the road) determines he's guilty. That's some real bull**** and a standard you wouldn't hold the world to if it was your child who was victimized. You crow on about "process" all you want, but you're not letting process stand in the way of warning those around the alleged perpetrator (Who in this case has had COUNTLESS accusations levied at him). He forfeited a comfortable life in society when he chose to use his power to abuse women.

It's because thousands of innocent men, mostly non-white, have been lynched and shot and beaten by an angry group of people who didn't think they had to wait for a conviction since there were a lot of accusers and the courts might find him not guilty on some technicality.

It's incredibly disgusting for you to invoke lynchings because people are mean to Harvey Weinstein. 

Updated On: 10/27/19 at 03:06 PM

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#47Harvey Weinstein confronted at Actor's Hour
Posted: 10/27/19 at 3:29pm

Comparing what happened to Harvey Weinstein at Actor's Hour to lynching is especially grotesque.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#48Harvey Weinstein confronted at Actor's Hour
Posted: 10/27/19 at 3:39pm

It Dallas is playing Philly for the division title and you, as a Cowboy fan go to the game wearing a Dallas Jersey, nobody has any right to heckle you or lay hands on you. but if you've ever been to a game in Philly before you know the fans are going to make your life miserable.

No cops are going to come to your rescue inside the stadium. You have to be bright enough to know what's going to happen to you. If you can't handle it, don't go.

The article in VOX (and I don't know how left or right this publication is) talks about Weinstein returning as as part of a plan to see what kind of a reaction he would get showing up in that place. Looking ahead to easing himself back into his former place. 

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/10/25/20932084/harvey-weinstein-comeback-actors-hour-downtime-bar

So it is his responsibility to stay away if he can't take the heat. But I'm pretty sure that he could take the heat and didn't break down in tears after he got home.

Updated On: 10/27/19 at 03:39 PM

ModernMillie3 Profile Photo
ModernMillie3
#49Harvey Weinstein confronted at Actor's Hour
Posted: 10/27/19 at 4:00pm

YOU owe people an apology for saying the woman was talking out of turn when Harvey Weinstein richly deserves any and all abuse he gets.

People who support abusers (sadly most of the men in this thread) will never apologize. White male privilege and toxic masculinity took over this thread. It's truly repugnant. What is even more horrifying is that my post, saying I was a rape survivor, was erased. These men think like Harvey, they defend men like Harvey, and some may act like him too. 

<<edited by BWW staff>>

Updated On: 10/27/19 at 04:00 PM