News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

AIDA REVIVAL- Spring 2020

SouthernCakes
#2AIDA REVIVAL- Spring 2020
Posted: 11/22/19 at 12:47pm

Yeah I saw this and found it interesting? Why would it need a developmental lab?

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#3AIDA REVIVAL- Spring 2020
Posted: 11/22/19 at 12:52pm

SouthernCakes said: "Yeah I saw this and found it interesting? Why would it need a developmental lab?"

Just a guess - but I think they're a bit gun shy about potential backlash from trigger-happy social media brigade and would want to clean up some of the plot/text. The original production, bless it, would also come off a bit stale so wouldn't surprise me if they take a more "timeless" approach with the direction (the way "Hello, Dolly!" did) so it will appeal to the contemporary audiences while staying true to soul of the show - and that alone would require some fresh rethinking. A developmental lab can help them achieve those thing.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#4AIDA REVIVAL- Spring 2020
Posted: 11/22/19 at 1:06pm

SouthernCakes said: "Yeah I saw this and found it interesting? Why would it need a developmental lab?"

Many shows do developmental labs, revivals as well as new musicals. It's a way to get the show on its feet with actors so the producers and creative team can see what is there. It's also a way to test out new choreography, vocal arrangements, book/score changes, a way to see how specific actors would work in the show (a lengthy audition), etc.

In a "normal" situation, it's also a way to whip up investor interest, but Disney clearly doesn't have to worry about that; it could be a way to get approval from top Disney brass, to appeal to Group Sales agents, to gain interest from a non-profit partner for an out-of-town tryout, etc.

EDIT: The OP's headline is misleading, though –– you make it sound like a full production is happening in Spring 2020.

Updated On: 11/22/19 at 01:06 PM

SouthernCakes
#5AIDA REVIVAL- Spring 2020
Posted: 11/22/19 at 1:27pm

I mean it’s an actor from the original company? Would they really trust her to do a full fledged revival? Maybe a tour.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#6AIDA REVIVAL- Spring 2020
Posted: 11/22/19 at 1:43pm

I’m confused by the involvement of Williams. Are they expecting her to recreate the original or create something new? For the directorial work she does has, she’s only been an Associate and hasn’t had much work conceiving stuff on her own. Certainly there are other directors, with more credits, who are up for the challenge. Like Liesl Tommy for instance.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#7AIDA REVIVAL- Spring 2020
Posted: 11/22/19 at 2:26pm

If they can just eliminate the Dad and his two numbers and fill in with something else, the canend up being very well done. Cynthia Erivo for Aida? Shoshana Bean for Amneris? Jeremy Jordan for Radames?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#8AIDA REVIVAL- Spring 2020
Posted: 11/22/19 at 2:47pm

RE: Schele Williams' hiring, let's assume that they want to keep the general "feel" of the original while tweaking it for today's audiences (perhaps making it more intimate, improving the flow, framing it in a specific way, etc). Obviously Bob Falls and Wayne Cilento would make themselves available for a Disney paycheck if this AIDA was going to be a true recreation, and the involvement of Camille Brown indicates it won't be a step-for-step rehash of the 2000 version. It's great that Disney has hired two women of color, too.

To give them the benefit of the doubt, this could also be a Michael Arden situation. 5 years ago, who would have thought he'd direct two of the most exciting & inventive musical revivals in recent memory?

Updated On: 11/22/19 at 02:47 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#9AIDA REVIVAL- Spring 2020
Posted: 11/22/19 at 2:58pm

Just a guess - but I think they're a bit gun shy about potential backlash from trigger-happy social media brigade and would want to clean up some of the plot/text. 

I'm more concerned that they'd want a cleaner concept for the staging and design.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#10AIDA REVIVAL- Spring 2020
Posted: 11/22/19 at 3:09pm

Perhaps they'll add a few more songs and cut down on some of the longer, clunkier stretches of book; the licensed libretto has already done some of this streamlining, but I always felt as though the show wanted to be a pop opera but felt obliged to have a book.

Synecdoche2 Profile Photo
Synecdoche2
#11AIDA REVIVAL- Spring 2020
Posted: 11/22/19 at 3:27pm

Hopefully they'll learn that Egyptians aren't white this time.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#12AIDA REVIVAL- Spring 2020
Posted: 11/22/19 at 4:13pm

Synecdoche2 said: "Hopefully they'll learn that Egyptians aren't white this time."

ding ding ding 

SouthernCakes
#13AIDA REVIVAL- Spring 2020
Posted: 11/22/19 at 6:05pm

Didn’t the Bands Visit thread just have a whole discussion that Middle Eastern people consider themselves white?

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#14AIDA REVIVAL- Spring 2020
Posted: 11/23/19 at 2:02am

Schele has been involved with Aida since pre broadway. Personally I loved her Aida, she was stunning in the role. I find it inspired choice for a director. She knows the show. Was in the room when it was being created. I look forward to seeing her version. 

Call_me_jorge said: "I’m confused by the involvement of Williams. Are they expecting her to recreate the original or create something new? For the directorial work she does has, she’s only been an Associate and hasn’t had much work conceiving stuff on her own. Certainly there are other directors, with more credits, who are up for the challenge. Like Liesl Tommy for instance."

Synecdoche2 Profile Photo
Synecdoche2
#15AIDA REVIVAL- Spring 2020
Posted: 11/23/19 at 5:37am

SouthernCakes said: "Didn’t the Bands Visit thread just have a whole discussion that Middle Eastern people consider themselves white?"

Ancient Egyptians are not the same thing as modern Egyptians.

SouthernCakes
#16AIDA REVIVAL- Spring 2020
Posted: 11/23/19 at 9:58am

True but this a very modern pop adaption of a classic story.

Jarethan
#17AIDA REVIVAL- Spring 2020
Posted: 11/23/19 at 10:30am

Valentina3 said: "SouthernCakes said: "Yeah I saw this and found it interesting? Why would it need a developmental lab?"

Just a guess - but I think they're a bit gun shy about potential backlash from trigger-happy social media brigade and would want to clean up some of the plot/text. The original production, bless it, would also come off a bit stale so wouldn't surprise me if they take a more "timeless" approach with the direction (the way "Hello, Dolly!" did) so it will appeal to the contemporary audiences while staying true to soul of the show - and that alone would require some fresh rethinking. Adevelopmental lab can help them achieve those thing.
"

What do you mean by a more timeless Hello Dolly production?  Loved the last version (saw it twice) and the original production (saw it 10ish times plus the two CC revivals), but to be honest the only thing I noticed between the two productions were that this one had better sets and costumes, and DHP's song, and the original's orchestrations and chorals were better.  Not sure that would make it more timeless.  

Videos