EDSOSLO858
#1DELETED
Posted: 4/11/20 at 4:13pm

(deleted)

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 1/4/23 at 04:13 PM

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#2Could this be the end of live theatre, period?
Posted: 4/11/20 at 4:16pm

You really think the end of physical community, and that humankind will retreat into a permanent hermetic existence?

We are too bored, and too horny, for this to really happen.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3Could this be the end of live theatre, period?

Yep. Never again will live theatre exist. Even after the vaccine and testing, nobody will ever perform in front of an audience ever again.

EVER.

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#4Could this be the end of live theatre, period?

We have had pandemics before. And we have had theater closures before. Humans have short memories. 

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#5Could this be the end of live theatre, period?
Posted: 4/11/20 at 4:18pm

Only if after freedom to assemble they also take away freedom to dissemble. Not a lot of art in Puritan England or in Gilead.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#6Could this be the end of live theatre, period?
Posted: 4/11/20 at 4:22pm

100% disagree. Is this a sarcastic post?

Live theatre is one of the few major art forms that was around during the last major pandemic in the US (1918). It came back then. It will come back this time too as will all those other things you mentioned. The question is when, not if.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#7Could this be the end of live theatre, period?
Posted: 4/11/20 at 4:30pm

darquegk said: "You really think the end of physical community, and that humankind will retreat into a permanent hermetic existence?

We are too bored, and too horny, for this to really happen.
"

Well, schools and businesses would all be online, I believe people will still get paid, and we'll all shop for necessities (food, clothes, etc.) online. That's pretty much all we need in life, and with today's technology, we don't even have to leave our houses to do so. Food delivery services (from restaurants) will also be on the rise, and romantic relationships will blossom on social media, Zoom, FaceTime, etc. Everything else is leisure. People working in the theatre, sports, etc. businesses will have to find new work-from-home jobs. Bored as we may be, this is actually a plausible new way of life. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#8Why are there 10 year olds on BWW??
Posted: 4/11/20 at 4:34pm

I also don't see sports, heavily attended parties, religious services, weddings, funerals, hugging/kissing/sex/high-fiving/fist-bumping, and humans touching other humans ever returning to world culture.

Yep. The entire world will never attend another wedding or bang each other ever again. EVER. 

How is your 4th grade homeschooling going btw?

Updated On: 4/11/20 at 04:34 PM

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#9Could this be the end of live theatre, period?
Posted: 4/11/20 at 4:37pm

This is not a rip or an insult: are you by any chance homeschooled by parents who buy into some New Agey ideas on society and autism?

Your description of the world going forward sounds a lot like the “Aspergia” ideas and imagery that the New Agey parents had floated a lot in the early 2010s.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#10Could this be the end of live theatre, period?
Posted: 4/11/20 at 4:37pm

Sutton Ross said: "I also don't see sports, heavily attended parties, religious services, weddings, funerals, hugging/kissing/sex/high-fiving/fist-bumping, and humans touching other humans ever returning to world culture.

Yep. The entire world will never attend another wedding or bang each other ever again. EVER.

How is your 4th grade homeschooling going btw?
"

Very good, by the way. I'm in a state university and have an extremely high GPA at the moment. Online classes could not get any better. K-12 schools are learning the hard way.

Oh look, a bibu!

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#11Could this be the end of live theatre, period?
Posted: 4/11/20 at 4:40pm

Awesome. Good luck at Peppa Pig State! 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#12No
Posted: 4/11/20 at 4:40pm

Changed the subject line to answer your original question.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#13No
Posted: 4/11/20 at 4:43pm

Sutton Ross said: "Awesome. Good luck at Peppa Pig State!"

Everyone insulting me should STOP RIGHT NOW. There is no reason to make fun of other's opinions or berate someone's conditions, education, etc. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Pose2 Profile Photo
Pose2
#14No
Posted: 4/11/20 at 4:53pm

Sutton Ross said: "Awesome. Good luck at Peppa Pig State!"

LOL

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#15Could this be the end of live theatre, period?
Posted: 4/11/20 at 5:00pm

Jordan Levinson said: "Sutton Ross said: "Awesome. Good luck at Peppa Pig State!"

Everyone insulting me should STOP RIGHT NOW. There is no reason to make fun of other's opinions or berate someone's conditions, education, etc.
"  

First.  Don't respond to bullies and trolls.

Second.  No, this most likely could not be the end of live theater.  It may take a bit of time to bounce back.  I will likely not want to be too physically close to others after Covid-19, but eventually, yes.   I imagine there are others like me.

Non sibi sed patriae
Updated On: 4/11/20 at 05:00 PM

Broadway61004
#16No
Posted: 4/11/20 at 5:00pm

Jordan Levinson said: "Even before thewhole crisis, I think it was starting to get less and less appeal."

Really curious how Broadway having it's highest attendance rate ever last year led you to this conclusion. 

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#17Could this be the end of live theater, period?
Posted: 4/11/20 at 5:01pm

Jordan Levinson said: "Bored as we may be, this is actually a plausible new way of life."

Is it, though? (It’s not.) 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#18Could this be the end of live theater, period?
Posted: 4/11/20 at 5:06pm

Oh dear lord, child.  This isn't the end of the world - not by a long shot. 2-3 years from now, I'm not sure how many REAL differences we are going to see.  Will it take a lot of time to get back to mostly normal?  Probably.  

And unless there are a whole bunch of people I have blocked are picking on you, I see ONE person being out right MEAN to you. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#19Could this be the end of live theater, period?
Posted: 4/11/20 at 5:07pm

Broadway61004 said: "Jordan Levinson said:"Even before thewhole crisis, I think it was starting to get less and less appeal."

Really curious how Broadway having it's highest attendance rate ever last year led you to this conclusion.
"

Much of the attendance rate was tourists looking for something to do in NYC, and falling for the "tourist traps" in the Disney shows, long-runners and jukebox musicals, serviceable at best with some exceptions. Most New Yorkers/people from the tristate area are not paying as much cash to see these shows. Broadway is heading off the rails and the gap between good money and poor/mediocre art is widening more than ever.

Oh look, a bibu!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#20Could this be the end of live theater, period?
Posted: 4/11/20 at 5:16pm

Yes, people only wanted to waste a few hours, because there is nothing to do in NYC.   Broadway has always survived on tourists, and it's a business - to make money, so you make theater that appeals to many.   ART and Bway were never synonymous.   The idea that is is only about art is a naive one.  Much more ARTISTIC work being done off bway and in regional theater.   That, too, is nothing new.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

IAMREADING
#21Could this be the end of live theater, period?
Posted: 4/11/20 at 5:18pm

Jeremy O Harris will usher us into the new digital era, PERIODT

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#22Could this be the end of live theater, period?
Posted: 4/11/20 at 5:20pm

Theater it is at least as old as many of the world's many religions and in some cases older. It has survived dark ages, plagues, wars, natural catastrophes, and collapse of world order and civilization. It's not going anywhere.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#23Could this be the end of live theater, period?
Posted: 4/11/20 at 5:21pm

dramamama611 said: "Yes, people only wanted to waste a few hours, because there is nothing to do in NYC. Broadway has always survived on tourists, and it's a business - to make money, so you make theater that appeals to many. ART and Bway were never synonymous. The idea that is is only about art is a naive one. Much more ARTISTIC work being done off bway and in regional theater. That, too, is nothing new."

Why not walk around Times Square? You don't HAVE to see a show if you're a tourist. See the bright lights, walk in stores, grab a slice of pizza, etc. That's something to do, and it certainly costs a lot less money than Broadway for tourists. And yes, there is a LOT more to do in NYC, though some locals might not say so.

Oh look, a bibu!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#24Could this be the end of live theater, period?
Posted: 4/11/20 at 5:28pm

Jordan Levinson said: "dramamama611 said: "Yes, people only wanted to waste a few hours, because there is nothing to do in NYC. Broadway has always survived on tourists, and it's a business - to make money, so you make theater that appeals to many. ART and Bway were never synonymous. The idea that is is only about art is a naive one. Much more ARTISTIC work being done off bway and in regional theater. That, too, is nothing new."

Why not walk around Times Square? You don't HAVE to see a show if you're a tourist.See the bright lights, walk in stores, grab a slice of pizza, etc. That's something to do, and it certainly costs a lot less money than Broadway for tourists. And yes, there is a LOT more to do in NYC, though some locals might not say so.
"

Have you ever actually been to Times Square?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#25Could this be the end of live theater, period?
Posted: 4/11/20 at 5:32pm

Kad said: "Jordan Levinson said: "dramamama611 said: "Yes, people only wanted to waste a few hours, because there is nothing to do in NYC. Broadway has always survived on tourists, and it's a business - to make money, so you make theater that appeals to many. ART and Bway were never synonymous. The idea that is is only about art is a naive one. Much more ARTISTIC work being done off bway and in regional theater. That, too, is nothing new."

Why not walk around Times Square? You don't HAVE to see a show if you're a tourist.See the bright lights, walk in stores, grab a slice of pizza, etc. That's something to do, and it certainly costs a lot less money than Broadway for tourists. And yes, there is a LOT more to do in NYC, though some locals might not say so.
"

Have you ever actually been to Times Square?

Many times. And if not walking around there, try Fifth Avenue (holiday season especially).

Oh look, a bibu!