Favorite Tony Awards Telecast

iabwayfan Profile Photo
iabwayfan
#1Favorite Tony Awards Telecast
Posted: 6/12/20 at 8:09pm

How about we share which season had the best Tony Awards telecast?  Which past show do you rewatch and for which performances?

And..... go!

Jarethan
#2Favorite Tony Awards Telecast
Posted: 6/12/20 at 8:27pm

1987.  Les Mis. Me and My Girl.  Tribute to Robert Preston sung by BP, Barbara Cook and Mary Martin; Tribute to George Abbott at the end.  Angela Lansbury as host.  Lansbury and Bea Arthur singing Bosom Buddies.  Scenes from Broadway Bound, Fences, and Les Liaisons that were actually effective ('Tell me where it says I have to like you' and Polishing the Dining Room Table.  Gwen Verdon and Bob Fosse. Helen Hayes.  I do not think that it topable, including the year that they celebrated past winning musicals  (I think 1971).

There are incredible moments from many shows; this entire show was incredible.  We even got John Napier's winning two Tonys after being nominated for three, and whining that he should have won for the fourth.  

Updated On: 6/12/20 at 08:27 PM

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#3Favorite Tony Awards Telecast
Posted: 6/12/20 at 8:28pm

Here is a thread similar to what you are asking. Enjoy.

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1122656#

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#4Favorite Tony Awards Telecast
Posted: 6/12/20 at 11:04pm

2008 had some great moments, especially Whoopi.

BeNice Profile Photo
BeNice
#5Favorite Tony Awards Telecast
Posted: 6/12/20 at 11:12pm

1997 stands out to me. The number from Titanic, Bebe performing Chicago, SJP in Once Upon a Matress, and of course “My Body” from The Life!

Jarethan
#6Favorite Tony Awards Telecast
Posted: 6/12/20 at 11:44pm

Huss417 said: "Here is a thread similar to what you are asking. Enjoy.

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1122656#
"

Different IMO.  One is about the best overall show.  The other is about the best number.  They can be wildly different.

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#7Favorite Tony Awards Telecast
Posted: 6/14/20 at 1:08pm

2013 ... as it was the first season I'd seen many of the nominated shows and performers before the Tonys. The telecast meant so much more to me since I had seen the shows. 

And not to mention that fun over-the-top opening number with NPH and dozens of actors. 

iabwayfan Profile Photo
iabwayfan
#8Favorite Tony Awards Telecast
Posted: 1/26/21 at 5:17pm

Does anyone have any ideas why the 2017 and 2019 Tony Awards aren't available to buy (as episode 1 - whole show) on Amazon Prime?

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#9Favorite Tony Awards Telecast
Posted: 1/26/21 at 5:45pm

Neil Patrick Harris and Audra McDonald singing Lin's words? Nothing better. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#10Favorite Tony Awards Telecast
Posted: 1/26/21 at 6:34pm

Sutton Ross said: "Neil Patrick Harris and Audra McDonald singing Lin's words? Nothing better."

The perfect capper for a magnificent evening of theatre.

Oh look, a bibu!

Dollypop
#11Favorite Tony Awards Telecast
Posted: 1/28/21 at 3:32pm

I forget the eexact year but it was somewhere in the 70's , when they brought back the original cast members of Tony Award winning shows going back 25 years. The next day it was the topic of discussion everywhere.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#12Favorite Tony Awards Telecast
Posted: 1/29/21 at 9:08am

Dollypop:

That was the 1971 telecast.

Broadway61004
#13Favorite Tony Awards Telecast
Posted: 1/29/21 at 11:19am

1996. It didn't have the greatest performances, but it a) was the 50th anniversary and included great tributes and highlights throughout and b) was the last ceremony where CBS cared enough to broadcast the design awards instead of bumping them for cruise ship Hairspray.

Dollypop
#14Favorite Tony Awards Telecast
Posted: 1/29/21 at 2:23pm

markypoo said: "Dollypop:

That was the 1971 telecast.
"

Thanks. I knew it was in the 70's

Dollypop
#15Favorite Tony Awards Telecast
Posted: 1/29/21 at 2:23pm

Double post

Updated On: 1/29/21 at 02:23 PM

carousel94fan
#16Favorite Tony Awards Telecast
Posted: 1/29/21 at 9:17pm

I think the 2004 one with "Wicked", "Wonderful Town", "Avenue Q", etc. was very good.

I also loved Neil Patrick Harris singing that song about how Broadway isn't just for gays anymore.... (:

Videos