pixeltracker

Broadway Times Square Pop-Up Performance

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#1Broadway Times Square Pop-Up Performance
Posted: 10/8/20 at 11:48am

Surprised that no one one has mentioned this, but there was a pop-up performance of "Sunday" on the Red Steps in Times Square yesterday, organized by NYCNext. Calling it "A Moment for Broadway," the group of singers included Bernadette Peters, Kelli O'Hara, Sierra Boggess, Andrew Rannells, Brandon Victor Dixon, Andrea Burns, Ana Villafañe, Ali Stroker, Norm Lewis, Javier Muñoz, Joel Grey, Celia Keenan Bolger, Christopher Sieber, and Max von Essen, among others.

https://abc7ny.com/a-moment-for-broadway-nycnext-bernadette-peters-shut-down/6841259/

BCfitasafiddle
#2Broadway Times Square Pop-Up Performance
Posted: 10/8/20 at 11:52am

Cried and cried and cried and cried.

What beauty. 

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#3Broadway Times Square Pop-Up Performance
Posted: 10/8/20 at 11:53am

It was beautiful and thrilling. Life-affirming. It sounded great and lovely to see the reactions from folks like Carolee when Bernadette sang. It made me so happy. 

That being said, on the NYCNEXT instagram they were streaming behind the scenes video and there was a large crowd watching. The majority looked masked, but still. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#4Broadway Times Square Pop-Up Performance
Posted: 10/8/20 at 1:36pm

Nice story in the NYT about this! They don't announce these events ahead of time so as to avoid crowding.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/07/theater/surprise-theater-times-square.html

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#5Broadway Times Square Pop-Up Performance
Posted: 10/8/20 at 1:39pm

Does anyone know who conducted?

Also eager to see Sondheim's reaction to this.

Oh look, a bibu!

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#6Broadway Times Square Pop-Up Performance
Posted: 10/8/20 at 2:08pm

It was beautiful and thrilling. Life-affirming. It sounded great and lovely to see the reactions from folks like Carolee when Bernadette sang. It made me so happy.

Same.

BCfitasafiddle
#7Broadway Times Square Pop-Up Performance
Posted: 10/8/20 at 2:09pm

Jordan Levinson said: "Does anyone know who conducted?

"

I thought I saw it was Tom Kitt. Could be wrong.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#8Broadway Times Square Pop-Up Performance
Posted: 10/8/20 at 2:27pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "Jordan Levinson said: "Does anyone know who conducted?

"

I thought I saw it was Tom Kitt. Could be wrong.
"

I just found out it was both Kitt and Michael McElroy- no wonder it sounded so good. 

Oh look, a bibu!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#9Broadway Times Square Pop-Up Performance
Posted: 10/11/20 at 3:05pm

This photo already feels iconic. WOW. What an amazing event!

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

BCfitasafiddle
#10Broadway Times Square Pop-Up Performance
Posted: 10/11/20 at 3:50pm

qolbinau said: "This photo already feels iconic. WOW. What an amazing event!

"

Agreed. Years from now, it will be remembered and looked back on. Seeing the picture of Bernadette at the 9/11 performance of "New York, New York" side by side with this week's... Lots of emotions.

temms Profile Photo
temms
#11Broadway Times Square Pop-Up Performance
Posted: 10/11/20 at 5:46pm

Bryan Perri was the conductor. He conducts Jagged Little Pill.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#12Broadway Times Square Pop-Up Performance
Posted: 10/15/20 at 4:00am

I've been listening to this on repeat for days as a standalone piece of music and I just love everything about it - the context of course is special, but the arrangements & harmonies and interesting too. It sounds a bit more modern/fresh - like in that (somewhat cliche way now) of having all the characters of a musical at the end sing an uplifting/inspirational emotional harmony ballad (spring awakening; next to normal; dear evan hansen; carrie etc.). 

Bernadette's voice also sounds so pure and clean - that vibrato is still lovely! And the nostalgia of her singing it is too much. Maybe she doesn't have the sheer power anymore but she still 'got it'! There is not another voice like it.

Was watching some of the Bernadette/Stritch promo vids* for a Little Night Music^ and it's cool to hear them speak about "Sunday" at the 2010 Birthday concert and how emotional it was - 10 years later I bet Bernadette would not have expected she'd be leading a performance of it in the context she was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG_l6kSn3KQ

* Watching all of these is actually SO funny - I would say sometimes unintentionally because Stritch is such a personality but it's like a comedy skit/SNL parody watching Bernadette and Elaine together. It's nice to revisit.

^ I know this is an obvious point, but even though Bernadette still looks great I can see that even she has aged in these last 10 years. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 10/15/20 at 04:00 AM

AADA81 Profile Photo
AADA81
#13Broadway Times Square Pop-Up Performance
Posted: 10/15/20 at 1:38pm

For me, this performance speaks to the resilience of the theater as art and the resilience of theater folk.  It was nice to get a taste of what was and will be again, even for just a few minutes.

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#14Broadway Times Square Pop-Up Performance
Posted: 10/15/20 at 2:04pm

I just saw this today. You can actually see and hear what each person is going through in their voices! There is grief but such strength and resilience! You can't watch this and not be thankful and yet hopeful, and just cry and cry...

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?
Updated On: 10/15/20 at 02:04 PM

Latest Posts