"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#51Broadway 2021: What To Expect When New York Turns The Lights Back On
Posted: 1/2/21 at 5:55pm

LizzieCurry said: "uncageg is right.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/08/health/covid-vaccine-mask.html
"

Thanks for posting this LizzieCurry. It was one of the sources I got that information from. 

Just give the world Love.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#52Broadway 2021: What To Expect When New York Turns The Lights Back On
Posted: 1/2/21 at 5:58pm

LizzieCurry said: "uncageg is right.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/08/health/covid-vaccine-mask.html
"

What the article says is, in essence, that we do not know. "Still, he and other experts said they were optimistic that the vaccines would suppress the virus enough even in the nose and throat to prevent immunized people from spreading it to others." That is not what uncageg said. As I pointed out earlier, this is something that we WILL know, and in fairly short order. We will wear masks until we know, but the timeline on this science is well ahead of any contemplated reopening of theatres. And again, as also rehearsed many times, if unvaccinated people can be infected by vaccinated people, we will not have reopening because we cannot have social distancing in Broadway theatres. But I am optimistic that we will not be seeing infections by this pathway.

ETA: And of course by then we should have high vaccine penetration, maybe even something close to herd immunity, in which case all of the above becomes moot. When a virus becomes epidemiologically insignificant, we no longer are concerned with those who have chosen to remain at risk. 

Updated On: 1/2/21 at 05:58 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
jo
#54Broadway 2021: What To Expect When New York Turns The Lights Back On
Posted: 1/3/21 at 5:41pm

Telecharge is already selling tickets for Jagged Little Pill, to open on June 1, 2021.

https://www.telecharge.com/

Is this an indication that there is an optimistic outlook beginning to creep in?

Updated On: 1/3/21 at 05:41 PM

NameGreg Profile Photo
NameGreg
#55Broadway 2021: What To Expect When New York Turns The Lights Back On
Posted: 1/3/21 at 6:01pm

Do we think there’s the chance of Off Broadway opening first since it may be easier to get smaller theaters back into action before the big ones?

“Somebody stop me before I sing again” - Bazzard

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#56Broadway 2021: What To Expect When New York Turns The Lights Back On
Posted: 1/3/21 at 8:29pm

@Greg yes I think so, mostly because it can rely on locals.

@jo I think it is wishful thinking. NB It costs nothing (and means nothing) to put tix on sale

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#57Broadway 2021: What To Expect When New York Turns The Lights Back On
Posted: 1/3/21 at 8:57pm

I suppose putting tickets on sale now is a way to make some money with that cash in the bank before they have to refund them or switch them out.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#58Broadway 2021: What To Expect When New York Turns The Lights Back On
Posted: 1/3/21 at 9:33pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I suppose putting tickets on sale now is a way to make some money with that cash in the bank before they have to refund them or switch them out."

Except that Telecharge holds the money so only the Shuberts make money. 

frown

benfox2 Profile Photo
benfox2
#59Broadway 2021: What To Expect When New York Turns The Lights Back On
Posted: 1/3/21 at 10:15pm

My completely unqualified opinion is that we see a reopening mid-late summer 2021 of the few shows that are popular enough to draw back enough of a crowd to make money(Hamilton being the foremost example of this). I would not be shocked, and am almost expecting, the requirement of a vaccination/negative test as well as wearing masks inside the theater. I think regardless of the effectiveness of masks they will be required for, at minimum, the mere perception value that masks are safe(though for the record i would personally feel more comfortable wearing a mask).

Above all though I think the real answer to all of these questions are that none of us really know. People have been trying and failing to predict this virus since the start, and it's gotten us no where. Things will happen as they happen and regardless of how everything goes i just hope we can be in a broadway theater safely and soon.

Jordan Catalano
#60Broadway 2021: What To Expect When New York Turns The Lights Back On
Posted: 1/3/21 at 11:06pm

Let’s just say “Jagged Little Pill” does reopen on June 1st. That would mean that they’d need to line up replacement cast (assuming they’d need any replacement ensemble/swings), redo tech and teach the show to anyone new and get theater staff in place. That means we’d hear about those plans going into motion somewhere around the beginning of March and if we don’t then I think it’s safe to assume it isn’t happening. And the same timeline can be applied to pretty much any show. So if we’re hoping for late summer (July/August), we’ll have some hard evidence of it actually happening by around the start of April and that’s only 12 weeks away so if we look at it like that - it’s something to look forward to and be hopeful about.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#61Broadway 2021: What To Expect When New York Turns The Lights Back On
Posted: 1/4/21 at 12:01am

Maybe it's just me but I think they might want to sell a ticket or two before they dump a bunch of money in a reopening. And maybe it's just me, but I don't think people are going to be lining up at the virtual box office to buy tickets to this particular show for June dates even if we assume for sake of argument (because I don't think we can assume it otherwise) that the state allows undistanced large public assemblies then. The more I think about it, the sillier this seems.

Jordan Catalano
#62Broadway 2021: What To Expect When New York Turns The Lights Back On
Posted: 1/4/21 at 12:08am

I agree 100%

There needs to be a strong campaign to get people to buy tickets and come back - and maybe that’s already in the works for June and we just don’t know yet. I doubt it but y’never know. That would throw a wrench in Hamilton’s plan to be the first show back on 7/4/21, though.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#63Broadway 2021: What To Expect When New York Turns The Lights Back On
Posted: 1/4/21 at 12:27am

Jordan Catalano said: "I agree 100%

There needs to be a strong campaign to get people to buy tickets and come back - and maybe that’s already in the works for June and we just don’t know yet. I doubt it but y’never know. That would throw a wrench in Hamilton’s plan to be the first show back on 7/4/21, though.
"

I did say Constitution Day- September 17th-  would be more viable for Hamilton and Hamilton only. Or, to play it even safer, they could reopen on October 27th, the day the first essay in the Federalist Papers (written by Alexander Hamilton) was published.

Oh look, a bibu!

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#64Broadway 2021: What To Expect When New York Turns The Lights Back On
Posted: 1/4/21 at 1:36am

I don't think Hamilton needs a cutesy gimmick to reopen. 

Fosse76
#65Broadway 2021: What To Expect When New York Turns The Lights Back On
Posted: 1/4/21 at 9:46am

HogansHero said: "@ Fosse76 re union and contract employees. To the extent that's the case, I don't think it is a practical one. Unions that don't want this protection for its members will be few and far between (and in particular as to theatrical unions) and contract employees rarely have long-term contracts.

I agree that most unions would agree, my statement was based on the premise that employers cannot unilaterally change a contract/union worker's conditions for employment. 

And re legal liability, that's easily solved legislatively if it presents as an issue.

Unlikely to happen, as far as amending liability laws. However, some states may simply mandate the vaccinations for its citizens, which would make employer mandates moot.

Finally, I think liability for mandates by employers (or others) is theoretical but not real.

Wrong. That's the law. Strict Liability (and caselaw) makes it real. But as you mentioned above, liability can possibly be resolved legislatively, but of course would most likely be challenged in court. 

First, I think few will have significant side effects that are actionable, and second causation would be a tough road (meaning one would have to prove that they would not have been vaccinated but for the requirement and that's not going to be easy).

Any out-of-pocket expense as a result of an adverse reaction would be recoverable under the law. The second point is rather easy to prove, but ultimately irrelevant. Under strict liability, once the employer requires vaccination, they become liable for any adverse reactions. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#66Broadway 2021: What To Expect When New York Turns The Lights Back On
Posted: 1/4/21 at 10:38am

Fosse76 said: 
"I agree that most unions would agree, my statement was based on the premise that employers cannot unilaterally change a contract/union worker's conditions for employment."

Agree re union employees although as I say I think it unions will be on board for the mandate. Other contract employees likely do not have any rights vis-a-vis non-addressed issues and I can't think of a contract that addresses this in any way.

"Wrong. That's the law. Strict Liability (and caselaw) makes it real. "

As I say, it is theoretically correct. My point is that it is not a real world issue for the reasons I state.

"Any out-of-pocket expense as a result of an adverse reaction would be recoverable under the law. The second point is rather easy to prove, but ultimately irrelevant. Under strict liability, once the employer requires vaccination, they become liable for any adverse reactions."

Yes, it would be recoverable but it appears that is a de minimis number because even the bad reactions have been brief. And in this context, folks will have insurance so we are talking at most a co-pay. And even in strict liability, you have to prove causation. Strict liability just means you don't have to prove negligence. If the person would have been vaccinated anyway, you don't have causation. And all of this is also not a real world scenario. If I am an employer and an employee won't get vaccinated, I am going to terminate you, not force a needle in your arm. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#67Broadway 2021: What To Expect When New York Turns The Lights Back On
Posted: 1/4/21 at 5:19pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Let’s just say “Jagged Little Pill” does reopen on June 1st. That would mean that they’d need to line up replacement cast (assuming they’d need any replacement ensemble/swings), redo tech and teach the show to anyone new and get theater staff in place. That means we’d hear about those plans going into motion somewhere around the beginning of March and if we don’t then I think it’s safe to assume it isn’t happening. And the same timeline can be applied to pretty much any show. So if we’re hoping for late summer (July/August), we’ll have some hard evidence of it actually happening by around the start of April and that’s only 12 weeks away so if we look at it like that - it’s something to look forward to and be hopeful about."

Those timelines sound about right. I will throw in that if vaccination is mandatory (Which I think it might be) for productions and house staff, vaccinations will have to be done by March. I would assume that they would need some theater staff in place (Security, stage door) as all of this is happening (Tech, rehearsals, etc.).  I know The Actor's Fund sets up the yearly flu vaccines. It will be interesting to see how it works with theater going back up. Will shows and theaters have all staff and performers in place to be vaccinated in time? Will some people have gotten them already. I would assume that with this vaccine they would need to know almost exact numbers and schedule vaccine times. And I would assume this will all hinge on when the Governor gives the green light. If he doesn't by March then I see things opening late summer or fall. I have been thinking it will be mid summer. I was hearing 3 weeks to get back up had theater re-opened this past June and now hearing pretty much the same timeline as Jordan outlined. Just my random thoughts.

Sutton Ross
#68Broadway 2021: What To Expect When New York Turns The Lights Back On
Posted: 1/4/21 at 6:06pm

Considering the extremely poor roll out of the vaccine in New York, I doubt anyone will be vaccinated by March who isn't a frontline worker or over 65. I think Fauci is still correct regarding his summer dates for everyone being vaccinated. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#69Broadway 2021: What To Expect When New York Turns The Lights Back On
Posted: 1/4/21 at 6:09pm

Sutton Ross said: "Considering the extremely poor roll out of the vaccine in New York, I doubt anyone will be vaccinated by March who isn't a frontline worker or over 65. I think Fauci is still correct regarding his summer dates for everyone being vaccinated."

Have to agree. I kind of tuned out of news this past week and am catching up today. Watching the news and shaking my head about this poor roll out. They are saying that now that the holidays are over vaccination numbers should increase. But we are still behind. 

Sutton Ross
#70Broadway 2021: What To Expect When New York Turns The Lights Back On
Posted: 1/4/21 at 6:15pm

Incredibly behind, like less than 10% of vaccines that have gone out in America have actually gone into people's arms. They have to hurry up here in New York, Cuomo is already threatening to have the state take over by Friday if they don't get their asses in gear. Nobody wants the state in charge of a vaccine roll out, I think it would be a disaster. 

Jordan Catalano
#71Broadway 2021: What To Expect When New York Turns The Lights Back On
Posted: 1/4/21 at 6:22pm

We’ll have to see what happens come January 20th when this country will finally have a national response and Biden enacts the defense production act to get these vaccines made and distributed.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#72Broadway 2021: What To Expect When New York Turns The Lights Back On
Posted: 1/4/21 at 6:32pm

Jordan Catalano said: "We’ll have to see what happens come January 20th when this country will finally have a national response and Biden enacts the defense production act to get these vaccines made and distributed."

I agree. He is going to hit the ground running; he has to: we are stalled until this is behind us. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#73Broadway 2021: What To Expect When New York Turns The Lights Back On
Posted: 1/4/21 at 6:42pm

Jordan Catalano said: "We’ll have to see what happens come January 20th when this country will finally have a national response and Biden enacts the defense production act to get these vaccines made and distributed."

And let's hope they cover this South African variant. They don't seem to be sure they might.

unclevictor Profile Photo
unclevictor
#74Broadway 2021: What To Expect When New York Turns The Lights Back On
Posted: 1/5/21 at 12:42am

I think what will happen when the lights come back on is that they are shut off relatively quickly. Sucks. Too few people are gonna come despite the big fanfare that “Broadway’s Back!!” The shows aren’t gonna make enough $$$ to make their weekly nut, and 1 by 1 they’re gonna start closing. It’s sad. And where are the producers gonna get the $$$ for new shows? It’s all scary

Videos