News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

David Bowie's Lazarus streaming

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#1David Bowie's Lazarus streaming
Posted: 1/8/21 at 12:52am

Anyone recommends this production?

I know reactions were mixed back in the day. I want to give it a try but tickets are not cheap, worth it?

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news/david-bowies-eerie-final-musical-is-streaming-this-weekend-only-010521

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#2David Bowie's Lazarus streaming
Posted: 1/8/21 at 1:43am

Geez I can't believe it's been that many years already. I really enjoyed it but I'm a huge fan of Hall and Bowie so I admit that I am bias. If you are a fan of Bowie definitely give it a shot, the whole thing is very Bowie, it's weird, it's eerie and it's very beautiful. I do agree 20 something bucks is a bit high but with all the money we couldn't spend on live theatre since March and for however many more months we have of this it's not too bad.

I also sat front row for this which ended up being the first show back since Bowie had passed away so I definitely felt stronger emotions all around for the show that night. I still want to get the program signed by Hall, I rarely stage door as it is but have done for previous shows I've seen of his but it felt really inappropriate to do so that night. I figure if he ever does another show that I'll bring it along and get it signed then after one of those shows.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#3David Bowie's Lazarus streaming
Posted: 1/8/21 at 2:02am

Sounds interesting. I'll give it a try - thanks!

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

mcsquared
#4David Bowie's Lazarus streaming
Posted: 1/9/21 at 9:43pm

Watching now and finding it strange. Was good price point to take a risk and not feel too bad if it's not my thing. 

scripps Profile Photo
scripps
#5David Bowie's Lazarus streaming
Posted: 1/9/21 at 11:33pm

Watched this earlier. Am I crazy or was Esper kinda sexy in this? More importantly, happy I didn't pay crazy money to see this at NYTW when it sold out, I couldn't live with that kind of buyer's remorse. Updated On: 1/9/21 at 11:33 PM

FindingNamo
#6David Bowie's Lazarus streaming
Posted: 1/10/21 at 12:49am

Naughty devils are always sexy. It comes with the territory.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#7David Bowie's Lazarus streaming
Posted: 1/11/21 at 1:23am

I didn’t realize this was directed by Ivo van Hove. That explains the bizarre staging.

missthemountains Profile Photo
missthemountains
#8David Bowie's Lazarus streaming
Posted: 1/11/21 at 3:57am

I really, really wanted to like it but the book was really bad. Great performances though, although at times I felt MCH was chewing the scenery.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#9David Bowie's Lazarus streaming
Posted: 1/11/21 at 5:20am

I really loved this. I couldn't tell you much about the plot, but I still loved it.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#10David Bowie's Lazarus streaming
Posted: 1/11/21 at 11:48am

missthemountains said: "I really, really wanted to like it but the book was really bad. Great performances though, although at times I felt MCH was chewing the scenery."

I completely agree.  I'm not familiar with the source material or the Bowie film, so I felt very lost.  With a better book, I think it might have made more sense and been easier to follow.

I wanted to feel something for the main character, but I spent a lot of time trying to understand what Michael C Hall was trying to achieve with his performance. The "affected" acting and singing style didn't make me care for this character or empathize that much. 

I enjoyed it overall, though, and thought the staging was very haunting, striking and interesting.  I'm also not that familiar with Bowie's music, which I found very catchy.  The 11o'clock number, "Valentine's Day," was my favorite part.

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2

scripps Profile Photo
scripps
#11David Bowie's Lazarus streaming
Posted: 1/11/21 at 4:04pm

Show of hands, who rewound the stream to figure out where the milk came from?

Will break social distancing guidelines for Esper's Valentine David Bowie's Lazarus streaming

Videos