pixeltracker

Universal's WICKED Films - News & Discussion Thread- Page 17

Universal's WICKED Films - News & Discussion Thread

ElephantLoveMedley
#400Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/2/21 at 2:49pm

bwayobsessed said: "My first thought was Ali as well but the more I thought about it, even though Elphaba is green, with the casting of Cynthia Erivo I think it would be pretty odd if her family was white."

This is maybe the silliest thing I've ever read on these boards.

pmensky
#401Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/2/21 at 2:59pm

ElephantLoveMedley said: "bwayobsessed said: "My first thought was Ali as well but the more I thought about it, even though Elphaba is green, with the casting of Cynthia Erivo I think it would be pretty odd if her family was white."

This is maybe the silliest thing I've ever read on these boards.
"

That is not silly at all. Color blind casting is one thing, but having a black actor playing a character who is discriminated against for the color of her skin and casting the rest of her family as white is another. Elphaba is a black woman. Her free skin is a birth defect, not a race. At least one of her parents should be portrayed by a black actor.

fosterfan2
#402Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/2/21 at 3:03pm

And Nessa and Elphaba don't even have the same biological father. Elphaba's father is the Wizard and Nessa's father is Frex,as he's called in the novel. So it wouldn't matter what the actresses look like.

Updated On: 12/2/21 at 03:03 PM

bwayobsessed
#403Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/3/21 at 6:59am

fosterfan2 said: "And Nessa and Elphaba don't even have the same biological father. Elphaba's father is the Wizard and Nessa's father is Frex,as he's called in the novel. So it wouldn't matter what the actresses look like."

Right like if the Wizard were a black actor and Elphaba’s mother was a white actor it could still make sense for Nessa to be white. I just think then Elphaba’s father might have some serious paternity doubts which might be reading into it too much.

I could see them going with a colorblind Brandy’s Cinderella-esque approach I just find the color conscious approach more interesting of a choice. 

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#404Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/3/21 at 11:15am

fosterfan2 said: "And Nessa and Elphaba don't even have the same biological father. Elphaba's father is the Wizard and Nessa's father is Frex,as he's called in the novel. So it wouldn't matter what the actresses look like."

In the book it’s strongly implied that Nessarose’s father is actually Turtleheart and that the only biological child of Frex is Shell. 

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

Defying_Reality
#405Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/7/21 at 8:29pm

soulmistin said: "As both an employee of the show and a fan, this casting makes me want to stab myself in the eyeballs preemptively."

Finally, someone else who isn't impressed.

fosterfan2
#406Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/7/21 at 9:47pm

Defying_Reality said: "soulmistin said: "As both an employee of the show and a fan, this casting makes me want to stab myself in the eyeballs preemptively."

"

That makes 3 of us.

hearthemsing22
#407Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/7/21 at 10:35pm

fosterfan2 said: "Defying_Reality said: "soulmistin said: "As both an employee of the show and a fan, this casting makes me want to stab myself in the eyeballs preemptively."

"

That makes 3 of us.

"

I’m sorry-is this person implying they’re an employee of the movie company so they know what the actors are like in the roles already? Then they must have a time machine because filming isn’t scheduled to start until next spring as far as I’ve heard. How dare you judge before you even see actors in a role? 

soulmistin Profile Photo
soulmistin
#408Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/8/21 at 12:27am

hearthemsing22 said: "fosterfan2 said: "Defying_Reality said: "soulmistin said: "As both an employee of the show and a fan, this casting makes me want to stab myself in the eyeballs preemptively."

"

That makes 3 of us.

"

I’m sorry-is this person implying they’re an employee of the movie company so they know what the actors are like in the roles already? Then they must have a time machine because filming isn’t scheduled to start until next spring as far as I’ve heard. How dare you judge before you even see actors in a role?
"

I’m not an employee of the movie company, I’m an employee of the Broadway production of the show. I don’t know what the performances will be, but that doesn’t change that this casting is illogical, especially together. 

hearthemsing22
#409Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/8/21 at 6:26pm

Then don’t see it, and other people who aren’t judge mental jerks will see the movie and actually give them a friggin’ chance :) Go ahead and say it’s “illogical” but until you see the actual MOVIE, as this is the MOVIE and not the Broadway show, you can’t judge anything. :) 

don’t you dare say I’m overreacting. I’m not :) 

soulmistin Profile Photo
soulmistin
#410Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/8/21 at 7:24pm

hearthemsing22 said: "Then don’t see it, and other people who aren’t judge mental jerks will see the movie and actually give them a friggin’ chance :) Go ahead and say it’s “illogical” but until you see the actual MOVIE, as this is the MOVIE and not the Broadway show, you can’t judge anything. :)

"

Why are you being so aggressive? You’re already reacting to an insult nobody gave. You seem to be the one being judgemental, as you haven’t asked for reasoning behind the opinion, yet you’re calling me a jerk over it. That’s not a very levelheaded way of expressing your feelings. 

Updated On: 12/8/21 at 07:24 PM

pmensky
#411Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/8/21 at 8:17pm

soulmistin said: "hearthemsing22 said: "Then don’t see it, and other people who aren’t judge mental jerks will see the movie and actually give them a friggin’ chance :) Go ahead and say it’s “illogical” but until you see the actual MOVIE, as this is the MOVIE and not the Broadway show, you can’t judge anything. :)

"

Why are you being so aggressive? You’re already reacting to an insult nobody gave. You seem to be the one being judgemental, as you haven’t asked for reasoning behind the opinion, yet you’re calling me a jerk over it. That’s not a very levelheaded way of expressing your feelings.
"

soulmistin, That’s their routine.

hearthemsing22
#412Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/8/21 at 10:22pm

pmensky said: "soulmistin said: "hearthemsing22 said: "Then don’t see it, and other people who aren’t judge mental jerks will see the movie and actually give them a friggin’ chance :) Go ahead and say it’s “illogical” but until you see the actual MOVIE, as this is the MOVIE and not the Broadway show, you can’t judge anything. :)

"

"

soulmistin, That’s their routine.
"

Nah.it’s not. But peoples routines seem to be using my reactions as a justification to say horrible things. Maybe look at yourself and how you provoke people instead of saying it’s my “routine”. If you can’t say anything nice…maybe just leave me alone :) is that something you’d be capable of doing? Thanks!  

Just please don’t judge a movie that hasn’t even started filming yet. 

Globefan
#413Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/31/21 at 6:06pm

If he's capable of turning off the French accent, I'd like to toss out Lucas Bravo as a Fiyero 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#414Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/31/21 at 7:30pm

Very curious what route they take to make this less cheesy on film. 

Globefan
#415Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/31/21 at 9:34pm

They're not doing a carbon copy of the show, which is good 

Loopin’theloop
#416Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/31/21 at 9:44pm

pmensky said: "bwayobsessed said: "My first thought was Ali as well but the more I thought about it, even though Elphaba is green, with the casting of Cynthia Erivo I think it would be pretty odd if her family was white.

As far as changes to the script, Nessa can still get mad at Boq trying to leave and magic him without her walking. The slippers can either stay silver like in the original Oz novel or be ruby from the beginning
"

So what’s Boq’s motivation for leaving all of a sudden? And how does switching the slippers to silver help? How do they become magical? If they’re magical from the beginning, why wouldn’t she use them to walk?
"

It’s very possible the shoes might remain silver regardless of potential changes to the Nessa Rose story. The show skirts around the issue of not having the rights to the ruby slippers by using a light and never saying they words ‘ruby slippers’ aloud. Seeing the shoes glow red on film, whatever they try is going to be more explicit and it will be harder to argue legally, that they aren’t going full ruby slipper 

Globefan
#417Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/1/22 at 9:42pm

Andre De Shields for the Wizard

pmensky
#418Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/9/22 at 12:24pm

Nicholas Galitzine, who played Prince Charming in the recent Amazon “Cinderella,” tweeted that he has been singing Wicked nonstop for the past week to the extent that his neighbors have started singing along. He added #dancingthroughlife at the end of the tweet. Sounds like audition prep to me.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#419Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/9/22 at 12:29pm

Globefan said: "Andre De Shields for the Wizard"

I had the same thought, this would be brilliant. 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#420Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/16/22 at 11:35am

While frail, Liza seemed to be a lot healthier than I thought she was on her CBS This Morning piece.  Maybe possibly she could do Morrible???

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#421Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/16/22 at 11:46am

Tag said: "While frail, Liza seemed to be a lot healthier than I thought she was on her CBS This Morning piece. Maybe possibly she could do Morrible???"

Liza is now wheelchair bound and can barely stand for a minute or so.  She is seated whenever she performs these days.  Morrible isn’t a heavy sung role so she’s more than capable of playing the role, but her physical limitations would mean the role would have to be modified to suit what she is capable of.  

pmensky
#422Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/16/22 at 12:01pm

Tag said: "While frail, Liza seemed to be a lot healthier than I thought she was on her CBS This Morning piece. Maybe possibly she could do Morrible???"

I think a major issue is that insurance companies don’t want to cover her.

Plannietink08
#423Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/16/22 at 1:29pm

Liza definitely seems like great choice if she was in better health. 

Lorna Luft would be a great choice too for the same reason as Liza but she’s not as well known as her sister is. I’ve always wondered if she’d appear as Morrible on Broadway. 

Plannietink08
#424Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/16/22 at 1:29pm

Liza definitely seems like great choice if she was in better health. 

Lorna Luft would be a great choice too for the same reason as Liza but she’s not as well known as her sister is. I’ve always wondered if she’d appear as Morrible on Broadway.