pixeltracker

Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements - Page 2

Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements

Islander_fan
#25Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/9/21 at 7:40pm

First off, I’ve been in plenty of usher’s rooms within the past six years. Sure, some are smaller than others with just the lockers and not much else, others are bigger with couches and sometimes a TV. And some are more midsized ones. But, never has one been in a furnace room, that is a safety hazard and therefor would never happen. 

As for the bar staff, merch and those who deal with the assisted listening devices. They can’t be in their own union since they aren’t hired and employed by a private company who has a contract with Shubert, Nederlander etc. That company is called Show Trans. It’s the same thing for the bar. And, it’s also the same work setup for merch as well. The only difference is is that since the production chooses which company they want to be in charge of the merch for their show, the merch company in question has a contract with the production and their staff takes care of the merch. 

So, unless those private companies want to unionize themselves, those who are part of staffing in those areas I just mentioned are not qualified to join any theatre union since they are employed by private companies who contract out their services to the theatres. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#26Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/9/21 at 7:47pm

SmoothLover said: "I was talking about dressing areas."

I don't disagree about any of these needed improvements, but let's remember that some (e.g., the dressing areas for ushers) are the subject of collective bargaining, and need to be addressed by the union with management. Others (e.g., the "customer service" issues - and there are of course many other such issues) do indeed get ignored because business has been so damn good. Maybe post-covid that will change, but I am not holding my breath.

ghostlight2
#27Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/9/21 at 8:56pm

Some unions are stronger than others. The ushers' is not terribly strong. Few unions reach out to unionize. Local One is one of them. They are not always successful, but I believe the Apollo theater is union now because of their actions. 

Hogan, you have mail.

Playbill_Trash
#28Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/9/21 at 10:35pm

RippedMan said: "You're talking a lot, Hogan, alas, not saying much."

This pretty much sums up all of the wisdom Hogan has graced us with here since his account was created.

The closing of Great Comet is a perfect example of how poorly organized, selfish, and uninformed social justice warriors can make up a problem where there isn’t one and be so loud and disruptive that they harm the industry they are trying to help. 

Nothing about the casting of Mandy Patinkin was about race. He was a name who could sell tickets and potentially save a struggling show. Oak had a predetermined limited run, and was always going to be cast temporarily. They had to fill a gap to run until Mandy Patinkin was available. Oak was not a well known actor that could sell, and still is not. He also was confirmed to be unprofessional and not prepared for the role when he was supposed to open. 

He and Cynthia Erivo demonstrated they had no understanding of how show business worked when they took the casting of Mandy Patinkin and made it about race. Dave Malloy said himself that because of the mess the interpretation made of everything and Mandy Patinkin quitting, they would have to close because they had no advance sales.

There are real social issues that need to be addressed, but when these loud morons tie these issues to places where they aren’t actually occurring, it brings focus away from actual culprits and they continue to get away with it. And it ruins the jobs and livelihoods of actual people in the community they claim to be concerned for. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#29Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/9/21 at 11:43pm

Playbill_Trash said: "Nothing about the casting of Mandy Patinkin was about race."

LOL It was a quintessential example of systemic racism. An incompetent producer who thinks he can sell more tickets with a white employee. Any {nonwhite, female, gay} person looking for a slaes job has had this 'splained to them many times.

"these loud morons" 

...a euphemism for a much uglier expression that I am sure you know. Again, thanks for teeing up my point  so deftly. 

Playbill_Trash
#30Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/10/21 at 10:39am

@HogansHero, May you never have a leadership position in the theatre. You are a perfect example of the kind of mind that leads to the fall of the theatre community. You think the producers of Great Comet were incompetent for making a genius casting choice that would ensure steady ticket sales? What literally played out is what happened when producers bow down to the likes of you - everyone made a decision in response to a false narrative and the show closed. All the employees on the stage, in the crew, front of the house, lost their jobs because you wanted to make a political statement. Maybe try thinking of the situation as someone that is not in the unaffected party for once.

But you're right, since Pierre was originated by an actor that was a POC, Mandy Patinkin couldn't play him. Oh wait...

And to be clear, when I talk about loud morons, I'm referring to self-proclaimed social justice warriors that just want to look smart but never want to do the work. If you want a specific example of a loud moron - invest in a mirror.

And let me guess, you're white.

unclevictor Profile Photo
unclevictor
#31Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/10/21 at 10:51am

Playbill_Trash said: "@HogansHero, May you never have a leadership position in the theatre. You are a perfect example of the kind of mind that leads to the fall of the theatre community. You think the producers of Great Comet were incompetent for making a genius casting choice that would ensure steady ticket sales? What literally played out is what happened when producers bow down to the likes of you - everyone made a decision in response to a false narrative and the show closed. All the employees on the stage, in the crew, front of the house, lost their jobs because you wanted to make a political statement. Maybe try thinking of the situation as someone that is not in the unaffected party for once.

But you're right, since Pierre was originated by an actor that was a POC, Mandy Patinkin couldn't play him. Oh wait...

And to be clear, when I talk about loud morons, I'm referring to self-proclaimed social justice warriors that just want to look smart but never want to do the work. If you want a specific example of a loud moron - invest in a mirror.

And let me guess, you're white.
"

THIS!! Thank u for posting!  

unclevictor
#32Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/10/21 at 11:01am

I love that Broadway is finally starting to reopen. I love how everyone is excited! I don’t love how we’ve stopped talking about Scott Rudin, social justice, changes that have to be implemented on Broadway, accountability, Karen Olivo’s reasons for leaving Moulin Rouge, Adrienne Warren, Ryan Vasquez, Sutton & Hugh, Disney, Tom Schumacher accusations, years of accusations about William Ivey Long, BIPOC, We see you WAT, etc.
Broadway has been closed for a long time and at any point the league and producers could have been making statements about any of these things. They could have been holding people accountable and implementing changes. When is any of this going to happen? Why is it that all of this gets to be swept under the rug and Broadway gets to reopen with big fan fare?? It’s ridiculous

SouthernCakes
#33Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/10/21 at 2:06pm

(Re: Comet, it wasn’t racist)

And I agree! It’s cool all this stuff is reopening but I’m waiting to hear about Tina, Hamilton, etc. Will people stick to their guns? What will happen?!

JSquared2
#34Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/10/21 at 2:07pm

unclevictor said: "I love that Broadway is finally starting to reopen. I love how everyone is excited! I don’t love how we’ve stopped talking about Scott Rudin, social justice, changes that have to be implemented on Broadway, accountability, Karen Olivo’s reasons for leaving Moulin Rouge, Adrienne Warren, Ryan Vasquez, Sutton & Hugh, Disney, Tom Schumacher accusations, years of accusations about William Ivey Long, BIPOC, We see you WAT, etc.
Broadway has been closed for a long time and at any point the league and producers could have been making statements about any of these things. They could have been holding people accountable and implementing changes. When is any of this going to happen? Why is it that all of this gets to be swept under the rug and Broadway gets to reopen with big fan fare?? It’s ridiculous
"

Oh, stop trolling.  You don't want to support the above "atrocities", don't buy any tickets.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#35Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/10/21 at 2:13pm

But....you've worked on Broadway for FORTY FIVE YEARS, right? I'm sure you understand how it all works.

#36Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/10/21 at 3:21pm

Playbill_Trash said: "The closing of Great Comet is a perfect example of how poorly organized, selfish, and uninformed social justice warriors can make up a problem where there isn’t one and be so loud and disruptive that they harm the industry they are trying to help."

I am still upset we couldn't see Mandy Patinkin in that role. It would have been magic.

I like Oak but... you know, seven Hamilton cast members got Tony nominations, and he wasn't one of them. Putting him into the lead of a show that had run on star power from day one was a weird choice.

Updated On: 5/10/21 at 03:21 PM

unclevictor
#37Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/10/21 at 6:09pm

Just post after post about shows selling tickets, which tickets so and so got, which seat, who’s gonna be playing which part, blah blah blah. So many posts about that stuff and silence about the massive amount of work that needs to be done!
Remember Karen Olivo? Anyone? She said, “I hope that everyone is working to change the industry and not just trying to get back so we can fill our coffers again.”
Has the league or producers or theatre owners created a safe, diverse, and equitable theater industry for everyone? Noooooooo they haven’t! Who cares? Broadway is back. Nothing has changed.

Islander_fan
#38Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/10/21 at 6:41pm

So don’t go buy a ticket. And, for the love of God, stop saying that, simply because someone doesn’t agree with you that they are racist or worse saying someone supports white supremacy.

It’s theatre, and, for better or worse, the layperson isn’t following this as closely as we are. The average person will be excited to buy tickets to a show without knowing about what is going on.

And the word Olivo used was “pocketbooks” not “coffers”

iknowthetruth2
#39Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/10/21 at 6:52pm

Yeah I still find it hilarious that the response to abuse received by Rudin's non-union corporate employees is to focus on helping unionized actors and creatives have stronger protection in their own environments. Like, how many producers other than Scott Rudin can you name? Can you name any of their employees? What about advertising and marketing agency employees who worked with Scott and their employees who didn't have a say in it? Seems like the focus isn't on the right thing if it's really about protecting those who had to put up with Rudin's abuse...

unclevictor
#40Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/10/21 at 9:58pm

Islander_fan said: "So don’t go buy a ticket. And, for the love of God, stop saying that, simply because someone doesn’t agree with you that they are racist or worse saying someone supports white supremacy.

It’s theatre, and, for better or worse, the layperson isn’t following this as closely as we are. The average person will be excited to buy tickets to a show without knowing about what is going on.

And the word Olivo used was “pocketbooks” not “coffers”
"

Says ANOTHER person supporting white supremacy. And you’re wrong, Karen Olivo said coffers, Karen. 

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#41Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/11/21 at 12:17am

unclevictor said: "Says ANOTHER person supporting white supremacy."

Enough of your "white supremacy" bull****.  The only person in this thread (or perhaps on the entire website) who reeks of racism is YOU.

Non sibi sed patriae

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#42Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/11/21 at 12:23am

Haha. UV has trolled and lied all over this board for months but my comment gets deleted. Lolz.

Don't EVER come for Islander Fan. He is correct. Period.

https://www.playbill.com/article/karen-olivo-will-not-return-to-moulin-rouge-musical-upon-broadway-reopening-people-are-more-important-than-your-pocketbook

unclevictor
#43Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/11/21 at 10:03am

Highland Guy said: "unclevictor said: "Says ANOTHER person supporting white supremacy."

Enough of your "white supremacy" bull****. The only person in this thread (or perhaps on the entire website) who reeks of racism isYOU.
"

Ha! That’s laughable, especially coming from u.

anyway, I wonder what all these improvements are going to look like once the shows open post Rudin? 

Highland Guy
#44Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/11/21 at 10:11am

unclevictor said: "Highland Guy said: "unclevictor said: "Says ANOTHER person supporting white supremacy."

Enough of your "white supremacy" bull****. The only person in this thread (or perhaps on the entire website) who reeks of racism isYOU.
"

"

Your 15 minutes of BWW infamy have expired.  

Non sibi sed patriae
Updated On: 5/11/21 at 10:11 AM

unclevictor
#45Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/11/21 at 10:16am

Highland Guy said: "unclevictor said: "Highland Guy said: "unclevictor said: "Says ANOTHER person supporting white supremacy."

"

"

Your 15 minutes of BWW infamy have expired.

"

Go away with your dog whistles and negativity! 

unclevictor
#46Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/11/21 at 12:47pm

Any shows make any announcements about improved workplace conditions, inclusivity, safety, harassment, WE See You WAT, etc?Did good morning America make any mention?

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#47Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/11/21 at 12:55pm

unclevictor said: "Any shows make any announcements about improved workplace conditions, inclusivity, safety, harassment, WE See You WAT, etc?Did good morning America make any mention?"

Your message is so muddled that it's no wonder no one can take you seriously. Confounding unrelated subjects is not a good strategy. Ignoring what has been said and done is not a good strategy. Being negative instead of positive is not a good strategy.Acting like a troll is not a good strategy. 

unclevictor
#48Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/11/21 at 1:57pm

Says the troll.
Of course u don’t want to talk about it!
Just more dog whistles.
Change will never happen with people like u

Highland Guy
#49Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/11/21 at 2:06pm

unclevictor said: "Go away with your dog whistles and negativity!"

Ah, but here I am!  I don't take direction from racist trolls and bullies.  

Non sibi sed patriae