pixeltracker

Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements

Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements

Jaxson2
#1Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/6/21 at 8:30am

With the Rudin  issue somewhat behind us and loud demands for a transparent and abuse-free work environment, will the vocal and demonstrative outrage become muted upon reopening?  

Many complained that worker exploitation went beyond Rudin's office. For example, the voiced outrage that unions failed to protect workers from it.  

What about non-union workers without protection, such as theater concession and audio-assist-headset workers?  Rumored they're paid only a flat $60 for a 2-4 hour show with overtime as little as $5-10/hr. 

Will unions come to their aid to assist them in joining a union and protect them from employer retribution?  Or will all be forgotten during and upon the re-opening on both the union and non-union front?

unclevictor Profile Photo
unclevictor
#2Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/6/21 at 9:49am

Jaxson2 said: "With the Rudin issue somewhat behind us and loud demands for a transparent and abuse-free work environment, will the vocal and demonstrative outrage become muted upon reopening?

Many complained that worker exploitation went beyond Rudin's office. For example, thevoicedoutrage that unions failed to protect workers from it.

What about non-union workers without protection, such as theaterconcession and audio-assist-headsetworkers? Rumoredthey're paid only a flat $60 for a 2-4hour show with overtime as little as $5-10/hr.

Will unions come to their aid to assist them in joining a union and protect them from employer retribution? Or will all be forgotten during and upon the re-opening on both the union and non-union front?
"

I don’t think all will be forgotten or muted about Rudin or demands for transparent and abuse free work environments. I do think it has to be addressed and will be addressed (the latter for sure) when each individual show opens. There will no doubt be a company meeting (or a few) addressing many issues. Will there be any actual change - probably not for awhile. I think the priority is getting the shows up and running and making $$$. Once that has happened then everything else should be addressed. It should be vice versa but I doubt it will be.  

Jaxson2
#3Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/7/21 at 10:29am

"There will no doubt be a company meeting (or a few) addressing many issues. "

I agree the union and/or Rudin's company will address previous abuse, but what about the problems involving employees, contract workers, independent contractors who did not have union protection?

Ushers, actors, box office, and stage workers are covered. Other companies that provide services to the theaters like concessions, audio, are not.  Would help if the unions get them under their wing.

Phantom sold out in minutes for its opening ticket sale day. That is great. But will the $ sales sweep the ugly stuff under the rug.  If history repeats itself, it seems it will.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#4Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/7/21 at 1:14pm

With the Rudin  issue somewhat behind us and loud demands for a transparent and abuse-free work environment, will the vocal and demonstrative outrage become muted upon reopening?  

Im not saying this is not important and absolutely needs to be addressed, but based on ticket sales for the few shows that are currently on sale? I don't think the masses are thinking about it, honestly.

Actors saying they won't be going back until every demand is met? Good luck to them. 

SouthernCakes
#5Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/7/21 at 1:17pm

To me, that’s very much the case with non-union acting work. The days are long, the pay is crap, but there will always been 10 other people who would do it for cheaper just to do it. So $60 sucks. I mean I can make that from one tip at my old restaurant gig, but there will be 10 other people who would do it for $50 for whatever reason.

unclevictor
#6Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/7/21 at 2:13pm

Jaxson2 said:
Phantom sold out in minutes for its opening ticket sale day. That is great. But will the $ sales sweep the ugly stuff under the rug. If history repeats itself, it seems it will.

Of course $ales sweep the ugly stuff under the rug! It’s already happening!  U think any of these shows have addressed any of these issues with cast/crew/front of house before announcing their return? No! Not one! Will it be addressed once they’re in the theatre or maybe in a rehearsal space a few days before they move back into the theatre, probably, yes. And then... ??? What happens then? Who knows? 

SouthernCakes
#7Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/7/21 at 2:26pm

What is suppose to happen? Like “hey Rudin Is a jerk. Don’t let people harass you, have a good rehearsal.”

unclevictor
#8Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/7/21 at 3:12pm

SouthernCakes said: "What is suppose to happen? Like “hey Rudin Is a jerk. Don’t let people harass you, have a good rehearsal.” "

That’s a start. There’s about 20 other issues that need to be addressed - have u read the BIPOC demands and We See You W.A.T. demands? Sure some of the demands are ridiculous, but many aren’t, & need to be addressed. Like now. Like yesterday. Like forever ago. 
https://www.weseeyouwat.com/demands
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5ede42fd6cb927448d9d0525/t/5f064e63f21dd43ad6ab3162/1594248809279/Tier2.pdf

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#9Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/7/21 at 3:30pm

In the usual style, it seems some folks are confounding two different but both important subjects. There are  worker safety etc. issues highlighted by the Rudin thing, and there are BIPOC issues that arise largely from structural racism etc. Let's try, for once, to go for clarity rather than confusion. The OP talks about the former. 

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#10Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/9/21 at 4:12am

Many theaters need to come up with new changing spaces for the front of the house staff. Most are terribly cramped with some doubling as furnace areas.

Jaxson2
#11Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/9/21 at 2:38pm

Southercakes, Rudin was a jerk but his actions were also illegal...including assault.

As for sold out shows versus concerns about workers, we all agree: Money talks; Bull**** walks.

In Rude's case, it wasn't the straw that broke the camel's back. It was the tons of straws killed the camel.  He's gone, at least in active participation. Undoubtedly he still receives, or will, payment.

If you followed the Harvey Weinstein nightmare, his behavior  got him 23 yrs in jail.  What women he couldn't sexually assault, he harassed and retaliated against.  Those latter issues resulted in significant $ lawsuits against him.  Rude's employees can sue him, as well as the prosecutor. Rude's not off the hook.

Yes, $60 with no overtime. Was horrified that covers arrive 1 hr before & stay 1 hr after  plus length of show be it 2 or 3 hours. Eight hour shows like Angels/America...yikes.  And not all houses allow them to watch the show. But how many times can you watch the same show as "payment."

Those are alot of potential union members if the union would pursue signing them up. Agree, folks are likely  to take the $60, especially students.  And the employer would likely fire them (illegal) if workers tried to organize. That's why the union's initiation is important.

And getting the powerful voices of high-profiled actors is critical as well.  Mandy Patinkin refused to proceed with his role at The Great Comet once Cnythia Erivo ranted & she had no acting connection with Comet.

Fosse76
#12Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/9/21 at 2:58pm

SouthernCakes said: "To me, that’s very much the case with non-union acting work. The days are long, the pay is crap, but there will always been 10 other people who would do it for cheaper just to do it. So $60 sucks. I mean I can make that from one tip at my old restaurant gig, but there will be 10 other people who would do it for $50 for whatever reason. "

The $60/show was a reference to the pay of the concessions/headset/merchandise workers. If they are there for 4 hours,  that's $15/hour.  For unskilled labor, that's decent pay. Especially when you consider they have long periods in which they aren't actually working...and concessions are done after the intermission,  if one, or after the start of the performance,  without one.  Just some breakdown time afterwards.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#13Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/9/21 at 3:02pm

@Jaxson per what I wrote in #9 above, you are letting yourself get drawn into a confounding discussion that has nothing to do with the subject you raise (viz., reopening Broadway). I'd encourage you to pursue your original point. Yes it would be lovely if everyone in every obscure province were unionized but that's well beyond the scope of this discussion. The fact is you couldn't field a baseball team with non-unionized employees working in a Broadway theatre. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#14Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/9/21 at 3:06pm

Hmmm, my reply seems to have been deleted, but I’ll link the tweet again. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#15Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/9/21 at 3:32pm

Jax, I don't think we should applaud Ms. Erivo for essentially closing down an entire big mega musical for claiming racist action that indeed was not racist but just business. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#16Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/9/21 at 3:47pm

RippedMan said: "claiming racist action that indeed was not racist but just business."

I have no interest in resurrecting this subject, but that is not a reasonable statement. When "business" is racist, it's still racist. And while you can have your opinion, the discussion on this topic was that it was the systemic racism of that "business" that lead to the action to which some (not just Erivo, but that's beside the point) objected. If you find this unfathomable, try putting it in a context in which you are not the unaffected. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#17Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/9/21 at 4:08pm

Well, A no-name actor in a show was replaced by a well-known actor hoping to drive ticket sales. I don't see how that's a racist action? That's just how the business works. The no-name actor got all the pay he was contracted to get, and was replaced or given a paid vacation for the celebrity to take over.... again, not racist,  

Sutton Ross
#18Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/9/21 at 4:11pm

SmoothLover said: "Many theaters need to come up with new changing spaces for the front of the house staff. Most are terribly cramped with some doubling as furnace areas."

Theaters don't like to spend money unless they absolutely have to. So many lobbies are so tiny, the bathrooms suck, and people have talked extensively about leg room or lack of on this board for years. 

But, as long as people are buying tickets and just dealing with these things, they won't do a thing. 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#19Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/9/21 at 4:11pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Hmmm, my reply seems to have been deleted, but I’ll link the tweet again."

Just saw this tweet earlier and found it rather heartening. I wonder what else is happening at other shows that we won't find out about until reopening! (This isn't an expression of impatience but curiosity I imagine will be satisfied eventually...)

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#20Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/9/21 at 4:29pm

RippedMan said: "Well, A no-name actor in a show was replaced by a well-known actor hoping to drive ticket sales. I don't see how that's a racist action? That's just how the business works. The no-name actor got all the pay he was contracted to get, and was replaced or given a paid vacation for the celebrity to take over.... again, not racist,"

You are just being reductive and I am sure you know it. Nothing you say here (including the falsities) overcomes what I said and in fact you precisely invoke the very systemic racism you are seemingly blind to (That's just how the business works indeed.) We don't let business make money by being racist, sexist, homophophic, etc. That's the claim that is being made here and you don't want to engage on that. That's your prerogative but repeating your tainted point doesn't make it any more true. Like I said, if you want enlightenment, put it in your own context instead of dismissing someone else's. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#21Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/9/21 at 5:45pm

You're talking a lot, Hogan, alas, not saying much. 

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#22Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/9/21 at 6:55pm

Sutton Ross said: "SmoothLover said: "Many theaters need to come up with new changing spaces for the front of the house staff. Most are terribly cramped with some doubling as furnace areas."

Theaters don't like to spend money unless they absolutely have to. So many lobbies are so tiny, the bathrooms suck, and people have talked extensively about leg room or lack of on this board for years.

But, as long as people are buying tickets and just dealing with these things, they won't do a thing.
"

I was talking about dressing areas.

Sutton Ross
#23Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/9/21 at 7:25pm

I know what you were talking about. Then I gave continued examples of improvements that should be made. 

Islander_fan
#24Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/9/21 at 7:40pm

Double post.

Updated On: 5/9/21 at 07:40 PM

Islander_fan
#25Reopen post-Rudin Worker Improvements
Posted: 5/9/21 at 7:40pm

First off, I’ve been in plenty of usher’s rooms within the past six years. Sure, some are smaller than others with just the lockers and not much else, others are bigger with couches and sometimes a TV. And some are more midsized ones. But, never has one been in a furnace room, that is a safety hazard and therefor would never happen. 

As for the bar staff, merch and those who deal with the assisted listening devices. They can’t be in their own union since they aren’t hired and employed by a private company who has a contract with Shubert, Nederlander etc. That company is called Show Trans. It’s the same thing for the bar. And, it’s also the same work setup for merch as well. The only difference is is that since the production chooses which company they want to be in charge of the merch for their show, the merch company in question has a contract with the production and their staff takes care of the merch. 

So, unless those private companies want to unionize themselves, those who are part of staffing in those areas I just mentioned are not qualified to join any theatre union since they are employed by private companies who contract out their services to the theatres.