pixeltracker

Upcoming trip to see 7 shows! Any experience with using expired AirTrain card?

NYfanfromCA Profile Photo
NYfanfromCA
#1Upcoming trip to see 7 shows! Any experience with using expired AirTrain card?
Posted: 10/31/21 at 8:05pm

I am getting ready to make the trip to NYC for some much needed show therapy next month.  I have seats for Six, Flying Over Sunset, Assassins, Caroline, Kimberly Akimbo, The Visitor, and Company.  

I have two AirTrain 10-trip cards that expired during the pandemic (one partially used expired 1/31/2021, one not used expired 8/31/2021), and I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with trying to use expired AirTrain cards?  My regular MetroCard (expired 9/31/2021) will offer to replace itself with a new card when I insert it into the machine, but I am not sure if the trips/value on these two AirTrain cards are just lost?  It used to be that AirTrain 10-trip cards expired 6-12 months after first use, but in looking at the information online today, it now says that they expire 30 days after first use.  

If my expired cards are indeed worthless at this point, I will likely not buy any more 10-trip cards, so is the best way to buy the AirTrain round-trip fare of $15.50 to just add at least that amount to my regular MetroCard?  My goal is to speed through JFK and the subway system to make my way to a 7 or 8 PM show on my Thursday arrival day, so I try to avoid the long lines of confused tourists at the kiosks, but I may have to deal with it for this trip.  I was never sure if I could add funds to my regular MetroCard at an AirTrain machine.  Those machines seemed to have different options, and always required me to buy a new card.

Thanks for any advice.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#2Upcoming trip to see 7 shows! Any experience with using expired AirTrain card?
Posted: 10/31/21 at 8:06pm

You can use a metrocard for the air train! Enjoy your trip.

ArtMan
#3Upcoming trip to see 7 shows! Any experience with using expired AirTrain card?
Posted: 10/31/21 at 8:22pm

In the past I have always bought from a newstand right at the entrance.  Last trip, 2019, it was closed and felt rushed (confused tourist) and accidently bought a 10 trip Air Train card.  It took me several calls but I finally received a refund.  I think you may be out of luck on your expired cards.  Like Steven stated, use a metro card.  I plan on putting a value on it and then adding to it if needed for my November 2 trip.  I will patiently wait my turn at the kiosh and if needed, take my time, so I don't make a mistake like before.

NYfanfromCA Profile Photo
NYfanfromCA
#4Upcoming trip to see 7 shows! Any experience with using expired AirTrain card?
Posted: 10/31/21 at 8:50pm

Thanks for the reply.  One of my concerns it that since my MetroCard is expired, I will need to insert it into a MetroCard machine that will issue me a new card with the existing value on it.  Then I may need to add funds to it to pay for the AirTrain if my balance is not sufficient.  Usually I have always found the right MetroCard machines on the *other side* of the AirTrain turnstile/payment area, but are you both saying that I will be able to do this before the AirTrain payment area?

Otherwise, I will have no choice but to purchase a new MetroCard from the AirTrain machines, and in my past experience, I was never allowed to add a weeklong subway pass to the specific cards issued by the AirTrain machines (I threw away plenty of these before I found the 10-day trip option). Those cards look slightly different and I have even asked at a booth (twice) and the agents have told me that I cannot add a weeklong subway pass to those cards.

ArtMan
#5Upcoming trip to see 7 shows! Any experience with using expired AirTrain card?
Posted: 10/31/21 at 8:57pm

Not sure of the answer.  From what I read on their site, I am planning on purchasing a new metro card that will cost a $1 at the Air Train entrance and then put $30 on it.  That will cover, for the time, my subway ride into the city and my Air Train cost.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#6Upcoming trip to see 7 shows! Any experience with using expired AirTrain card?
Posted: 11/1/21 at 12:47am

Though you still need a MetroCard on the AirTrain exit/entry machines, in NYC we no longer use MetroCards on the subway. The turnstiles have been replaced with new OMNY scanners so you can press your credit card or your iPhone Apple Pay.  Not sure if these old MetroCard sliders still work as none accepted my MetroCard when these new OMNY machines first appeared and I still attempted to use my old MetroCards. I haven’t used my old MetroCard in over a year as I use my credit card on these OMNY turnstiles. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#7Upcoming trip to see 7 shows! Any experience with using expired AirTrain card?
Posted: 11/1/21 at 1:09am

Um, 90% of New Yorkers still use MetroCards which work at every single subway stop in all of New York. Those gross weird machines are problematic/buggy/privacy violations and no one I know uses them and they are not in the majority of subways anyways so disregard Brody's message completely.

Enjoy using metro cards and swipe away. Enjoy your trip! 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#8Upcoming trip to see 7 shows! Any experience with using expired AirTrain card?
Posted: 11/1/21 at 1:46am

Those gross weird machines are problematic/buggy/privacy violations…

So much is revealed in this one single sentence.  So grateful this attitude has evaded me and I’m 56 and work every Adobe program on an expert level and cringe when I hear a 45 year old say they’re too old for “new” technology.  

Fosse76
#9Upcoming trip to see 7 shows! Any experience with using expired AirTrain card?
Posted: 11/1/21 at 12:12pm

Sutton Ross said: "Um, 90% of New Yorkers still use MetroCards which work at every single subway stop in all of New York."

I can't argue with that statistic since I don't know if it's true. But I will say the majority of system riders are using Metrocards.

"Those gross weird machines are problematic/buggy/privacy violations and no one I know uses them and they are not in the majority of subways anyways so disregard Brody's message completely."

That's definitely not true. I've definitely seen people use them...and not just tourists. And they are installed in all subway stations and on all busses.

Sutton Ross
#10Upcoming trip to see 7 shows! Any experience with using expired AirTrain card?
Posted: 11/1/21 at 12:52pm

Their aim is for 2023 for it to fully take over. Not that it matters. Only one in six people use this system since there is zero incentive to switch and many don't have that option anyways. 

The OMNY system has the potential to tap into a huge amount of personal user data and the "terms of service" do not explicitly state how this information can be used, or even what information will be collected. They won't even answer questions about it, that's how shady it is. Each smart device, credit, or debit card tapped is a data point. People are so stupid and clueless about their private information, it's baffling. 

Updated On: 11/1/21 at 12:52 PM

KathyNYC2
#11Upcoming trip to see 7 shows! Any experience with using expired AirTrain card?
Posted: 11/1/21 at 5:36pm

I take public transportation - mostly the city bus almost daily. I still use my metro card. The new OMNY readers are installed in every bus and I would say about 1/3 of the time, there is a sign on them saying “not working”.

I fully expect to use the OMNY system as well but right now I’m happy with my metro card. I have an auto fill one where it’s attached to my credit card. Every time it drops to $10, more money is automatically added so I never have to update it. I get a new card every 18 mos I believe.

Sutton Ross
#12Upcoming trip to see 7 shows! Any experience with using expired AirTrain card?
Posted: 11/1/21 at 6:19pm

Same with subways, Kathy (especially not the fancy subways) they are "out of order". Not that it matters, it's so unpopular anyways especially when they can't answer basic questions about security with the entire system. 

Nawp. 

ArtMan
#13Upcoming trip to see 7 shows! Any experience with using expired AirTrain card?
Posted: 11/4/21 at 11:46pm

Sutton Ross said: "Um, 90% of New Yorkers still use MetroCards which work at every single subway stop in all of New York. Those gross weird machines are problematic/buggy/privacy violations and no one I know uses them and they are not in the majority of subways anyways so disregard Brody's message completely.

Enjoy using metro cards and swipe away. Enjoy your trip!
"

Sutton, You were so correct.  I rode the subway eight times and didn't see one person using the OMNY.  Everybody I saw used the metro card.

Sutton Ross
#14Upcoming trip to see 7 shows! Any experience with using expired AirTrain card?
Posted: 11/4/21 at 11:50pm

Yeah, New Yorkers aren't morons who want our private information stolen on a daily basis. I'm glad tourists feel the same way.

I hope you had a great time in New York! 

Updated On: 11/4/21 at 11:50 PM

ArtMan
#15Upcoming trip to see 7 shows! Any experience with using expired AirTrain card?
Posted: 11/4/21 at 11:53pm

Thanks, I did.  It was just too cold for me.  I am almost thinking of canceling my December 1 trip and taking a small loss.

Sutton Ross
#16Upcoming trip to see 7 shows! Any experience with using expired AirTrain card?
Posted: 11/4/21 at 11:56pm

in NYC we no longer use MetroCards on the subway.

RWPrincess
#17Upcoming trip to see 7 shows! Any experience with using expired AirTrain card?
Posted: 11/5/21 at 12:10pm

I also only use MetroCards. 

To the OP, I would contact the MTA and explain that you live out of town and that the cards expired during the pandemic. It can't hurt to ask if they'll give you a refund. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

ArtMan
#18Upcoming trip to see 7 shows! Any experience with using expired AirTrain card?
Posted: 11/5/21 at 12:27pm

RWPrincess said: "I also only use MetroCards.

To the OP, I would contact the MTA and explain that you live out of town and that the cards expired during the pandemic. It can't hurt to ask if they'll give you a refund. Good luck and enjoy your trip!
"

RWPrincess, that is good advice in most situations. When I contacted customer service they had me jumping many, many, many hoops until they gave me my refund.  Even though I am cheap, it became as much a principal, that I got my refund.  My original error was caused by an inept employee who told me wrong info. 

duffny1
#19Upcoming trip to see 7 shows! Any experience with using expired AirTrain card?
Posted: 11/5/21 at 3:17pm

I just sent two expired metrocards to the MTA and they sent me a one new card with both balances on it. It Warning, it took about 6 weeks. They told me that they will replace metrocards as long as they didn't expire over two years ago. If it is one year you can do it through the machine.

ArtMan
#20Upcoming trip to see 7 shows! Any experience with using expired AirTrain card?
Posted: 11/5/21 at 3:25pm

NYfanfromCA, I sent you a pm about the E train and where the last stop was.  Not Jamaica Station as normal.  But Jamaica Avenue, which was far from JFK.