pixeltracker

Shaina Taub's SUFFS at the Public to feature Phillipa Soo, Nikki M. James, Jenn Colella, Grace McLean, Taub, and more- Page 3

Shaina Taub's SUFFS at the Public to feature Phillipa Soo, Nikki M. James, Jenn Colella, Grace McLean, Taub, and more

inception Profile Photo
inception
#50Shaina Taub's SUFFS at the Public to feature Phillipa Soo, Nikki M. James, Jenn Colella, Grace McLean, Taub, and more
Posted: 3/11/22 at 9:40am

Easy to be a "hot" show & sell out off-Bway...let's wait & see what people think once they actually get to see it...if it's good & extends into the summer I may try to see it ìn July...though there are a number of shows I've got my fingers crossed hoping they'll extend.  Of upcoming off-Bway shows, I'd have thought Bedwetter has more potential to be a "hot" ticket (or at least lukewarm body temperature ;p).  

For my money, Suffs sounds like it could use a WHOLE LOT more shirtless chorus boys.  Right now it just sounds like sitting through a lecture.

Updated On: 3/11/22 at 09:40 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#51Shaina Taub's SUFFS at the Public to feature Phillipa Soo, Nikki M. James, Jenn Colella, Grace McLean, Taub, and more
Posted: 3/11/22 at 10:16am

inception said: "Easy to be a "hot" show & sell out off-Bway...let's wait & see what people think once they actually get to see it"

I don't think anyone is arguing otherwise. It has a buzzy team of theatre people, it has commercial producers behind it, and hardcore theatergoers know that the Public is a theatre to be reckoned with and they want to be able to "see it first" in case it moves. None of that guarantees Broadway success if it moves, but it does help plant the seed of buzz.

It could be the next FUN HOME or HAMILTON........but it could also be the next JOAN OF ARC: INTO THE FIRE or THE VISITOR (oy).

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#52Shaina Taub's SUFFS at the Public to feature Phillipa Soo, Nikki M. James, Jenn Colella, Grace McLean, Taub, and more
Posted: 3/11/22 at 11:48am

inception said: "For my money, Suffs sounds like it could use a WHOLE LOT more shirtless chorus boys."

Shaina Taub's SUFFS at the Public to feature Phillipa Soo, Nikki M. James, Jenn Colella, Grace McLean, Taub, and more

Updated On: 3/11/22 at 11:48 AM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#53Shaina Taub's SUFFS at the Public to feature Phillipa Soo, Nikki M. James, Jenn Colella, Grace McLean, Taub, and more
Posted: 3/11/22 at 12:28pm

or my money, Suffs sounds like it could use a WHOLE LOT more shirtless chorus boys.  Right now it just sounds like sitting through a lecture.

Lolz. Good thing your money isn't good there. It's so sad that an all star female cast about history bores you and you need shirtless dudes on stages for every show you see. Pathetic. 

Jakeevan942
#54Shaina Taub's SUFFS at the Public to feature Phillipa Soo, Nikki M. James, Jenn Colella, Grace McLean, Taub, and more
Posted: 3/12/22 at 5:22pm

FYI:

A single for the first preview just popped back, which I picked up.

Yesterday, I had purchased a single seat for the performance on April 1, which I returned when the first preview ticket became available.

As such, there is 1 face value ticket for the performance on April 1 available from the Public right now. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#55Shaina Taub's SUFFS at the Public to feature Phillipa Soo, Nikki M. James, Jenn Colella, Grace McLean, Taub, and more
Posted: 3/12/22 at 5:39pm

Several great seats just popped for for next Saturday's matinee, and a few for the evening. The Public usually keeps randomly releasing seats, so it's always good to keep checking.

hearthemsing22
#56Shaina Taub's SUFFS at the Public to feature Phillipa Soo, Nikki M. James, Jenn Colella, Grace McLean, Taub, and more
Posted: 3/12/22 at 5:48pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Several great seats just popped for for next Saturday's matinee, and a few for the evening. The Public usually keeps randomly releasing seats, so it's always good to keep checking."

And I'm guessing it's more likely than not that at some point during their previews they'll announce an extension, or not long after opening. Definitely at some point. 

willep
#57Shaina Taub's SUFFS at the Public to feature Phillipa Soo, Nikki M. James, Jenn Colella, Grace McLean, Taub, and more
Posted: 3/12/22 at 6:03pm

Woo! Managed to grab a couple great seats for the 26th!

Texas Tanya
hearthemsing22
#59Shaina Taub's SUFFS at the Public to feature Phillipa Soo, Nikki M. James, Jenn Colella, Grace McLean, Taub, and more
Posted: 3/12/22 at 8:06pm

Texas Tanya said: "Has anyone actually seen this yet?"

I don't think it has even started previews yet...EDIT: Upon looking at the website I see it started previews on Thursday! Huh. Maybe nothing has come forward yet because of Anyone Can Whistle and Take Me Out, and the fact that this is off-Broadway (although with The Public, that doesn't usually factor in)? Once we get into next week I'm assuming we'll start hearing more and more reviews will come forward. 

TaffyDavenport
#60Shaina Taub's SUFFS at the Public to feature Phillipa Soo, Nikki M. James, Jenn Colella, Grace McLean, Taub, and more
Posted: 3/12/22 at 8:10pm

The first 3 shows were cancelled, so it starts previews tomorrow night.

hearthemsing22
#61Shaina Taub's SUFFS at the Public to feature Phillipa Soo, Nikki M. James, Jenn Colella, Grace McLean, Taub, and more
Posted: 3/12/22 at 8:31pm

TaffyDavenport said: "The first 3 shows were cancelled, so it starts previews tomorrow night."

OH! I didn't know-thank you!! 

Soozie
#62Shaina Taub's SUFFS at the Public to feature Phillipa Soo, Nikki M. James, Jenn Colella, Grace McLean, Taub, and more
Posted: 3/12/22 at 10:05pm

The first preview is actually tomorrow night, Sunday, March 13. 

EDIT: sorry, did not see that this was already clarified. Never mind. 

Updated On: 3/12/22 at 10:05 PM

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
hearthemsing22
#64Shaina Taub's SUFFS at the Public to feature Phillipa Soo, Nikki M. James, Jenn Colella, Grace McLean, Taub, and more
Posted: 3/13/22 at 5:37pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "Anyone attending tonight?"

No but I did try my dang best to get a rush ticket this morning. They were snatched up immediately (not surprising) 

Updated On: 3/13/22 at 05:37 PM

Thescapist29
Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
TaffyDavenport
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#68Shaina Taub's SUFFS at the Public to feature Phillipa Soo, Nikki M. James, Jenn Colella, Grace McLean, Taub, and more
Posted: 3/13/22 at 9:44pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Found an Instagram pic of the huge set design"

As the prostitute once said, it's not the looks, it's the stairs.

Thescapist29
#69Shaina Taub's SUFFS at the Public to feature Phillipa Soo, Nikki M. James, Jenn Colella, Grace McLean, Taub, and more
Posted: 3/13/22 at 11:15pm

Just got back from the Public. The show runs every bit of 2 hours and 55 minutes - and it’s nearly sung through. The book and music are terrifically strong and the cast is almost embarrassingly good. Having read a lot of criticism around the possibility of excusing the suffragist movement for not adequately representing non-white voices, I had my fears - but the show addresses the shortcomings of the movement as well as the triumphs. Taub’s performance is stunning, both as performer and composer. I was blown away by  Nikki M. James, Cassondra James, and Grace McLean.

Menken Fan Profile Photo
Menken Fan
#70Shaina Taub's SUFFS at the Public to feature Phillipa Soo, Nikki M. James, Jenn Colella, Grace McLean, Taub, and more
Posted: 3/13/22 at 11:50pm

I also saw the first preview tonight. I agree with the strong music and performances. The music has a very Natasha, Pierre feel to it with a Hamilton undercurrent. I was concerned about seeing a Wiki entry onstage, and while it was certainly a linear telling of the story, struggles and people involved in the Suffragist (I was paying attention) movement, there were enough interesting and varied songs, winning characterizations, and occasional humorous elements to keep it compelling and educational from start to finish. The only things that would improve this in my personal opinion are a little tightening, particularly in the first act, and some more creative or varied sets and staging. Definitely would recommend, if you can get a ticket. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#72Shaina Taub's SUFFS at the Public to feature Phillipa Soo, Nikki M. James, Jenn Colella, Grace McLean, Taub, and more
Posted: 3/14/22 at 12:17am

Out of curiosity, how big is the band? That quick curtain call video sounds like solo piano (but sometimes numbers go into previews before they're fully orchestrated).

#73Shaina Taub's SUFFS at the Public to feature Phillipa Soo, Nikki M. James, Jenn Colella, Grace McLean, Taub, and more
Posted: 3/14/22 at 12:19am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Out of curiosity, how big is the band? That quick curtain call video sounds like solo piano (but sometimes numbers go into previews before they're fully orchestrated)."

The all-female band joins the cast on stage for the curtain call, which is why it is piano-only. There are 11 players in the band, all sounding great.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#74Shaina Taub's SUFFS at the Public to feature Phillipa Soo, Nikki M. James, Jenn Colella, Grace McLean, Taub, and more
Posted: 3/14/22 at 12:23am

2 said: "The all-female band joins the cast on stage for the curtain call, which is why it is piano-only. There are 11 players in the band, all sounding great."

Aha! Rad.

Excited to see this and hear more from folks who attend.

Is this a show that gets particularly emotional/weepy? No doubt it's empowering and informational, but finding the depths of emotional humanity in the characters is probably what ultimately helps it find a Broadway-sized audience (not unlike Hamilton). That, and the accessibility of the score.

Updated On: 3/14/22 at 12:23 AM