Debra Messing Stage Door

bwayfan1232
#1Debra Messing Stage Door
Posted: 4/8/22 at 11:05am

Has anyone had any luck with Debra coming out of the stage door after evening performances of Birthday Candles?

Hairspray0901
#2Debra Messing Stage Door
Posted: 4/8/22 at 11:07am

Don’t stagedoor. It puts the cast and crew at risk. Covid is still very present. 

willep
#3Debra Messing Stage Door
Posted: 4/8/22 at 11:08am

As multiple shows are literally losing weeks worth of performances, why in the world would actors do the awful stage door thing and pose for pictures with people?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#4Debra Messing Stage Door
Posted: 4/8/22 at 11:15am

Gotta go to the UK if you want to stage door. Won’t be happening here for quite a while. 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#5Debra Messing Stage Door
Posted: 4/8/22 at 11:19am

Roundabout has the strictest COVID policies of ANY theatres I've been to. I wouldn't be surprised if they lead their actors through an underground tunnel that emerges in New Jersey to keep them away from the stage door.

I'm pretty sure every Broadway show s participating in Red Buckets, so you might be able to get signed stuff by making a donation after the show if that's what you're interested in.

It is also possible that stage dooring comes back after April 30th (we have no idea what the League will decide), so maybe try to book tickets for May?

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#6Debra Messing Stage Door
Posted: 4/8/22 at 11:21am

Hairspray0901 said: "Don’t stagedoor. It puts the cast and crew at risk. Covid is still very present."

It will always be present.

BroadwayRox3588
#7Debra Messing Stage Door
Posted: 4/8/22 at 11:25am

jkcohen626 said: "It is also possible that stage dooring comes back after April 30th (we have no idea what the League will decide), so maybe try to book tickets for May?"

It isn't up to the League when stage dooring comes back, it's up to Equity. Stage dooring (along with backstage visits & other audience interactions), or lack thereof, is part of Equity's protocols.

In general, I think we can expect that some actors will make some kind of announcement when stage dooring is allowed to resume. If you don't see that (be it now, or two months from now), it's probably a safe bet that it isn't back yet.

Updated On: 4/8/22 at 11:25 AM

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#8Debra Messing Stage Door
Posted: 4/8/22 at 11:35am

I spoke to one actor who’s currently in a run recently who said he’d like to see it come back soon, simple because the fans and their enthusiasm play a role in contemporary theater culture. I was surprised to hear that, but it makes sense to me.

Poignantly, that same actor is now out of his show because of Covid. 

Debra Messing is an icon. I don’t blame anyone for wanting her autograph.

My advice is to send the playbill for the show in a SASE to the theater and hope you receive it back autographed. I did the same thing at this theater with Danny DeVito and was successful. It was one of the few times an entertainer wrote “Love,” on an autograph, which really touched me. I’d mailed him the DVD cover of one of my favorite films, “Living Out Loud,” which he also co-produced. It’s such an underrated NYC 90s arthouse gem. 

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#9Debra Messing Stage Door
Posted: 4/8/22 at 11:37am

bwayfan1232 said: "Has anyone had any luck with Debra coming out of the stage door after evening performances of Birthday Candles?"

No, and it won't be happening. 

BroadwayRox3588
#10Debra Messing Stage Door
Posted: 4/8/22 at 11:40am

Rudy2 said: "I spoke to one actor who’s currently in a run recently who said he’d like to see it come back soon, simple because the fans and their enthusiasm play a role in contemporary theater culture. I was surprised to hear that, but it makes sense to me."

That actually doesn't surprise me. I think a lot of actors would like to see it come back.

That's not to say that I think it will (or should) come back any time soon, but the sentiment is definitely understandable. I think there will be a number of actors who are very happy when it does come back. Obviously also a number (almost certainly greater than pre-pandemic) who won't participate, but I think more actors enjoy the stage door than some on these boards think.

Updated On: 4/8/22 at 11:40 AM

fbueller
#11Debra Messing Stage Door
Posted: 4/8/22 at 11:56am

Hairspray0901 said: "Don’t stagedoor. It puts the cast and crew at risk. Covid is still very present."

Yes!!!  A number of high profile shows are continuing to be affected and have short shutdown periods.  COVID is not over.

bwayplays
#12Debra Messing Stage Door
Posted: 4/8/22 at 12:01pm

BroadwayRox3588 said: "Hairspray0901 said: "Don’t stagedoor. It puts the cast and crew at risk. Covid is still very present."

It will always be present.
"

Even before covid the stage door was filled with germs. If stage door does return, I’m sure the actors will be even more cautious than before. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#13Debra Messing Stage Door
Posted: 4/8/22 at 12:07pm

No, the cast of BIRTHDAY CANDLES is not doing the stage door bit.  They’re trying to keep the cast intact and are following all COVID protocols even during performances - they wear their masks off-stage.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#14Debra Messing Stage Door
Posted: 4/8/22 at 1:02pm

Debra Messing is an icon?  Really?  I like her, so I'm not hating, but I'd never classify her as an icon. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#15Debra Messing Stage Door
Posted: 4/8/22 at 1:17pm

dramamama611 said: "Debra Messing is an icon? Really? I like her, so I'm not hating, but I'd never classify her as an icon."

She’s the shorthand for every gay man’s best friend, so certainly at least an LGBT icon, which is no small thing. I’d say that entire cast is iconic - and I *abhor* the overuse of that word.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#16Debra Messing Stage Door
Posted: 4/8/22 at 1:28pm

Ahhhh, I wondered if that was the connection.  Thanks for the clarification.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Dollypop
#17Debra Messing Stage Door
Posted: 4/8/22 at 4:15pm

Rudy2 said: "dramamama611 said: "Debra Messing is an icon? Really? I like her, so I'm not hating, but I'd never classify her as an icon."

She’s the shorthand for every gay man’s best friend, so certainly at least an LGBT icon, which is no small thing. I’d say that entire cast is iconic - and I *abhor* the overuse of that word.

I think you're confusing Debra Messing with Grace Adler

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#18Debra Messing Stage Door
Posted: 4/8/22 at 4:19pm

They are and I find it hilarious. 

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#19Debra Messing Stage Door
Posted: 4/8/22 at 4:25pm

Dollypop said: "Rudy2 said: "dramamama611 said: "Debra Messing is an icon? Really? I like her, so I'm not hating, but I'd never classify her as an icon."

I think you're confusing Debra Messing with Grace Adler

"

I don’t have to do that because the culture does that already, and always will as long as it’s like this. You surely don’t need me to explain the power of television.

But your point about conflating characters and actors is well made. Eventually the personas become merged.

Perhaps Lucy was the first time that happened. 

bwayplays
#20Debra Messing Stage Door
Posted: 4/8/22 at 4:31pm

My friend is seeing this and keeps calling it the “Grace Adler play” so there’s that. She only knows Debra Messing as Grace Adler.

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#21Debra Messing Stage Door
Posted: 4/8/22 at 4:34pm

bwayplays said: "My friend is seeing this and keeps calling it the “Grace Adler play” so there’s that. She only knows Debra Messing as Grace Adler."

Exactly.

The play sounds gorgeous and deeply cathartic…perhaps not what someone wants if they’re envisioning a sitcom they’ve come to love.

People get stuck on an idea.

Updated On: 4/8/22 at 04:34 PM

Dollypop
#22Debra Messing Stage Door
Posted: 4/8/22 at 4:57pm

bwayplays said: "My friend is seeing this and keeps calling it the “Grace Adler play” so there’s that. She only knows Debra Messing as Grace Adler."

This is like the woman I met at Junior's a few weeks ago. She told me she'd just seen Hugh Jackson [sic] in THE WORLD'S GREATEST SHOWMAN.

bwayplays
#23Debra Messing Stage Door
Posted: 4/8/22 at 5:14pm

Dollypop said: "bwayplays said: "My friend is seeing this and keeps calling it the “Grace Adler play” so there’s that. She only knows Debra Messing as Grace Adler."

This is like the woman I met at Junior's a few weeks ago. She told me she'd just seen Hugh Jackson [sic] in THE WORLD'S GREATEST SHOWMAN.

"

Yikes. Although that sounds like my friend. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was the same lady. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#24Debra Messing Stage Door
Posted: 4/8/22 at 5:30pm

Hey, to this day I keep calling the film CALL ME BY YOUR NAME, CATCH ME IF YOU CAN.  cheeky

Dollypop
#25Debra Messing Stage Door
Posted: 4/8/22 at 8:20pm

bwayplays said: "Dollypop said: "bwayplays said: "My friend is seeing this and keeps calling it the “Grace Adler play” so there’s that. She only knows Debra Messing as Grace Adler."

"

Yikes. Although that sounds like my friend. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was the same lady.
"

This lady was from Chicago