KATRINA WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1KATRINA WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!
Posted: 5/9/22 at 9:15am

NOOOOO

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

ElephantLoveMedley
#2KATRINA WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!
Posted: 5/9/22 at 9:16am

Agreed. Beyond upsetting and seriously damaging to the Tony nominators' reputation.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3KATRINA WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!
Posted: 5/9/22 at 9:17am

Absolutely unforgivable. 

ashley0139
#4KATRINA WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!
Posted: 5/9/22 at 9:18am

I'm in shock and absolutely devastated.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#5KATRINA WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!
Posted: 5/9/22 at 9:19am

I disagree. The correct actresses were nominated, and, fortunately, art is subjective, so no one's opinion is "right."

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#6KATRINA WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!
Posted: 5/9/22 at 9:20am

Agreed! She was amazing in Company!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#7KATRINA WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!
Posted: 5/9/22 at 9:20am

That made me sad ---- but it might be the only one that did.  (But I need to think a tad more.)

I wonder if nominators saw her performance PRE covid or now.  From everything that's been discussed, her performance has changed a tremendous amount.  (I only saw it in '22.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Nolan LuPone
#8KATRINA WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!
Posted: 5/9/22 at 9:25am

WTF?!

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#9KATRINA WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!
Posted: 5/9/22 at 9:27am

This is almost certainly a case of nominators seeing the performance early in the run. Most who saw it early on said it was rough, and while she has grown tremendously in the time since if they only saw an early performance that is all they can judge on.

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

gibsons2
#10KATRINA WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!

TaffyDavenport said: "I disagree. The correct actresses were nominated, and, fortunately, art is subjective, so no one's opinion is "right.""

I agree with you. I'm Katrina's fan but each time I went to see Company, I couldn't shake off the feeling that Patty and Jennifer had bigger presence and weight on stage, despite them being in featured roles. Both of them were rightfully nominated. 

iluvtheatertrash
#11KATRINA WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!

No one’s opinion is correct. Art is subjective. And I thought she was dreadful, thrilled she wasn’t nominated.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

ashley0139
#12KATRINA WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!
Posted: 5/9/22 at 9:30am

Yes, art is subjective. I have seen hundreds of shows and thought she gave literally the single best performance I have ever seen on a stage. No performance has ever affected me more. Her snub is disgraceful.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#13KATRINA WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!
Posted: 5/9/22 at 9:32am

Odd that TimeOut has her as being nominated.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical

Sharon D Clarke, Caroline, or Change
Sutton Foster, The Music Man
Joaquina Kalukango, Paradise Square
Katrina Lenk, Company
Mare Winningham, Girl from the North Country

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/theater/the-2022-tony-nominations

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#14KATRINA WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!
Posted: 5/9/22 at 9:35am

What did the critics think of her performance? I remember it being pretty polarizing among us on the board

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

MemorableUserName
#15KATRINA WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!
Posted: 5/9/22 at 9:35am

Huss417 said: "Odd that TimeOut has her as being nominated.

Sharon D Clarke,Caroline, or Change
Sutton Foster,The Music Man
Joaquina Kalukango,Paradise Square
Katrina Lenk,Company
Mare Winningham,Girl from the North Country

"

You have to read the intro.

"

This morning we are honored to present the annual TONY* nominations, which recognize the best work on Broadway in the 2021–22 season. But first, let us be as clear as we can be: TONY is an acronym for Time Out New York, and the list below represents the Broadway shows and artists that we here at TONY (Time Out New York) would nominate for the actual Tony Awards (Antoinette Perry Awards) if we were the nominating committee for the Tony Awards, which we are not. Please note, too, that these are our choices and not our predictions of what will be nominated for Tony Awards when the real nominations are announced live at 9am on Monday, May 9. In this busy Broadway comeback season, there were many worthy candidates, and it wasn’t easy to choose among them. But choose we have—using the eligibility and category decisions of the real Tony Awards as guidelines—and here are the results. Without further ado: Congratulations to the 2022 TONY* nominees!

*Time Out New York"

iwuldwf
#16KATRINA WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!
Posted: 5/9/22 at 9:36am

jacobtsf said: "This is almost certainly a case of nominators seeing the performance early in the run. Most who saw it early on said it was rough, and while she has grown tremendously in the time since if they only saw an early performance that is all they can judge on."

I haven't been following the conversation, but I finally saw the show recently and thought her voice was fine, but her acting choices were my least favorite thing about the show.  Distractingly bad.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#17KATRINA WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!
Posted: 5/9/22 at 9:36am

Huss417 said: "Odd that TimeOut has her as being nominated.

Katrina Lenk,Company

"

Those are the *TONY (Time Out New York) nominations, which were published Friday. 

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#18KATRINA WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!
Posted: 5/9/22 at 9:40am

TaffyDavenport said: "Huss417 said: "Odd that TimeOut has her as being nominated.

Katrina Lenk,Company

"

Those are the *TONY (Time Out New York) nominations, which were published Friday.
"

Sorry about that everyone. Had me hoping they skipped a name when reading the nominations. 

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

BWayBabe
#19KATRINA WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!
Posted: 5/9/22 at 9:40am

The only women that were robbed are Nikki Renee Daniels and Britney Coleman who were FAR BETTER in the role as understudies than Katrina... Bobbie made the most sense being a black woman.

IJS

Broadway61004
#20KATRINA WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!
Posted: 5/9/22 at 9:51am

ashley0139 said: "Yes, art is subjective. I have seen hundreds of shows and thought she gave literally the single best performance I have ever seen on a stage. No performance has ever affected me more. Her snub is disgraceful."

And that is why art is subjective. If you were a nominator and thought she gave an incredible performance, you would have rightfully voted for her. But just because these nominators disagreed doesn't in any way make it "disgraceful".

iluvtheatertrash
#21KATRINA WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!
Posted: 5/9/22 at 9:57am

ashley0139 said: "Yes, art is subjective. I have seen hundreds of shows and thought she gave literally the single best performance I have ever seen on a stage. No performance has ever affected me more. Her snub is disgraceful."

Overturning Roe v Wade is "disgraceful". The voters having a different opinion than you is not. 

stoptheworld38 Profile Photo
stoptheworld38
#22KATRINA WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!
Posted: 5/9/22 at 10:00am

You are so right and you should say it. Facts. 

you found your heart but left a part of you behind <3

iluvtheatertrash
#23KATRINA WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!
Posted: 5/9/22 at 10:02am

stoptheworld38 said: "You are so right and you should say it. Facts."

I know we've all got a flare for the dramatics in this community (myself included), but come on. There's a lot of horrors going on in the world right now. Katrina getting snubbed isn't one. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#24KATRINA WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!
Posted: 5/9/22 at 10:06am

Let us express our upset over this if we want to. No need to stomp on us who are very touched by her performance. 

iluvtheatertrash
#25KATRINA WAS ROBBED!!!!!!!!
Posted: 5/9/22 at 10:08am

No one's stomping on you. You're allowed to be disappointed. But when you say things like "disgraceful" or "shameful", it's a bit over-the-top.