pixeltracker

Will The Bands Visit and Hadestown make it to the West End?

Will The Bands Visit and Hadestown make it to the West End?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#1Will The Bands Visit and Hadestown make it to the West End?
Posted: 7/1/22 at 11:03pm

Probably not the former, but what about the latter? Even if they aren’t big splashy shows, I’d expect the Tony Award winner for Best Musical banner should be enough to transfer it, no? I hope Hadestown is able to open a west end production before they close on Broadway(god forbid). The Noel Coward and Phoenix Theatres are opening up soon, so now is the time. I mean, if Bonnie and Clyde could surely any other show could.

I still think it’s shocking Gentleman’s Guide was never able to make the leap across the pond.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ElphabaGoodman
#2Will The Bands Visit and Hadestown make it to the West End?
Posted: 7/1/22 at 11:12pm

The Band's Visit will open at the Donmar Warehouse on September 24, directed by Michael Longhurst. 

Call_me_jorge
#3Will The Bands Visit and Hadestown make it to the West End?
Posted: 7/1/22 at 11:21pm

^^ was not aware of that, thank you for correcting me. Interesting it’s not a replicated production, that’ll sure be interesting to see.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#4Will The Bands Visit and Hadestown make it to the West End?
Posted: 7/1/22 at 11:24pm

Hadestown has already had a brief three month run at the National Theatre before transferring to Broadway.

Call_me_jorge
#5Will The Bands Visit and Hadestown make it to the West End?
Posted: 7/1/22 at 11:33pm

The national is not the west end, though. Nor was it an open-ended run. Which is what I’m trying to get at.

Updated On: 7/1/22 at 11:33 PM

inception Profile Photo
inception
#6Will The Bands Visit and Hadestown make it to the West End?
Posted: 7/2/22 at 12:07am

Call_me_jorge said: "The national is not the west end, though. Nor was it an open-ended run. Which is what I’m trying to get at."

But since it already played London with the original cast, wouldn't it be rather retrograde to bring it back with a different cast?

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#7Will The Bands Visit and Hadestown make it to the West End?
Posted: 7/2/22 at 12:39am

It wouldn’t be so odd, or retrograde. Much like in NYC, lots of shows transfer from non-profit to commercial runs. This would effectively be the same thing, but with a long time-gap in between. And during that time gap, the show has notably garnered a lot of acclaim that could very well increase demand from the last run. Plus, I think return engagements are more woven into the theatre culture there than they are here. 

Also, I didn’t see the show at the Olivier, but I have to imagine the theatre was simply too big for that production. It might fit much better in one of the more intimate West End houses.

As for your comment about the original cast: if bringing it back with a cast other than the original is “retrograde” than so is continuing to perform the show on Broadway without the original cast. Obviously that’s not stopping them, nor has it stopped countless other hit shows that have run long enough to see all their original cast members leave. And in fact, opening a West End transfer could give them an opportunity to cast some of well-respected local talent, who might actually mean more to West End audiences than the original American cast. 

SouthernCakes
#8Will The Bands Visit and Hadestown make it to the West End?
Posted: 7/2/22 at 1:08am

Honestly, the West End and Broadway are just so different with a few exceptions. Hence Bonnie and Clyde and Heathers doing so well there. 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#9Will The Bands Visit and Hadestown make it to the West End?
Posted: 7/2/22 at 9:12am

JBroadway said: "
As for your comment about the original cast: if bringing it back with a cast other than the original is “retrograde” than so is continuing to perform the show on Broadway without the original cast. Obviously that’s not stopping them, nor has it stopped countless other hit shows that have run long enough to see all their original cast members leave. And in fact, opening a West End transfer could give them an opportunity to cast some of well-respected local talent, who might actually mean more to West End audiences than the original American cast."

OK, I just thought it might seem like an insult to London audiences. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#10Will The Bands Visit and Hadestown make it to the West End?
Posted: 7/2/22 at 10:56am

Surprised Hadestown hasn't been announced yet for the West End.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

DaveyG
#11Will The Bands Visit and Hadestown make it to the West End?
Posted: 7/2/22 at 11:50am

ACL2006 said: "Surprised Hadestown hasn't been announced yet for the West End."

Maybe producers aren’t interested because the original London production - which was the same production that transferred to Broadway - received zero Olivier nominations.

It wouldn’t be considered for Best New Musical and it would be very expensive to transfer Chavkin’s production.  

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#12Will The Bands Visit and Hadestown make it to the West End?
Posted: 7/2/22 at 3:32pm

Call_me_jorge said: "I still think it’s shocking Gentleman’s Guide was never able to make the leap across the pond."

This is the biggest shock for me. There are so many British actors who could play that Jefferson Mays part, whether it's in Darko Tresnjak's production or a British production, and it would kill over there. Kind of dumbfounding. I believe attempts have been made to present it in London, but never actually happened.