pixeltracker

Sneak Preview of SOME LIKE IT HOT Released Today- Page 2

Sneak Preview of SOME LIKE IT HOT Released Today

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#25Sneak Preview of SOME LIKE IT HOT Released Today
Posted: 7/16/22 at 7:40am

Good god I LOVE this. I haven't had such high hopes for a new musical in a long time... the music sounds fantastic and I love the lyrics!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#26Sneak Preview of SOME LIKE IT HOT Released Today
Posted: 7/16/22 at 1:09pm

That's H O T and a 17 piece orchestra - Similar to Jet Set but a better song!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#27Sneak Preview of SOME LIKE IT HOT Released Today
Posted: 7/16/22 at 1:30pm

broadwayboy223 said:

"I don't think this is THAT bad yall. It sounds like a good to a decent jazz score. Especially compared to a lot of the contemporary MT scores that have come out in the last few years. BTTF, from what I've heard, is SO mediocre and plain"

Not sure who "yall" is, since pretty much everyone who's commented either likes or loves it.

JSquared2
#28Sneak Preview of SOME LIKE IT HOT Released Today
Posted: 7/16/22 at 2:07pm

broadwayboy223 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "Demo recording of the title song (by Shaiman and Wittman) released today.

I don't think this is THAT bad yall. It sounds like a good to a decent jazz score. Especially compared to a lot of the contemporary MT scores that have come out in the last few years. BTTF, from what I've heard, is SO mediocre and plain.

WTF is MT and BTTF??

""

Jarethan
#29Sneak Preview of SOME LIKE IT HOT Released Today
Posted: 7/16/22 at 2:09pm

I thought that it was enjoyable, but did not strike me as ‘title of show’ song.  I could not see it becoming a show-stopper, which I expect from most songs that are also the title of the show.  I admit that I immediately think of Mame, Cabaret, Hello Dolly, Guys and Dolls, Promises Promises, Hallelujah Baby,  Camelot, The Phantom of the Opera, Hair, Purlie, Company, Into the Woods, SweenwyTodd, Alexander) Hamilton, Oklahoma, even Applause, most of which were show-stopper numbers; and if I cheat, I think of Gigi, Singing in the rain, Meet Me in St. Louis

Admittedly, I also think of Sweet Charity, Annie, and Hairspray, all of which had much better songs than the title songs. 

So, I am probably all wet…but that was my gut reaction.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#30Sneak Preview of SOME LIKE IT HOT Released Today
Posted: 7/16/22 at 2:09pm

Musical theatre and Back to the Future.

jagman1062 Profile Photo
jagman1062
#31Sneak Preview of SOME LIKE IT HOT Released Today
Posted: 7/16/22 at 9:09pm

I enjoyed the song and I'm guessing we're going to get a very traditional Broadway score. Shaiman and Wittman have a distinct sound (as did Kander & Ebb and Rodgers & Hammerstein), so I understand the comparisons to the score from CMIYC (which I thought was dreadful and  inferior to the score to Hairspray). It's a musical comedy, so I'm expecting a light-hearted show with a lot of comedic moments (an area where Borle excels) based on its film source. I just hope the score accomplishes what the show is meant to do - entertain.

Updated On: 7/16/22 at 09:09 PM

themick2
#32Sneak Preview of SOME LIKE IT HOT Released Today
Posted: 7/16/22 at 9:18pm

It's okay.  Basically it's "Jet Set" mildly remixed. 

Lola Getz2 Profile Photo
Lola Getz2
Ke3
#34Sneak Preview of SOME LIKE IT HOT Released Today
Posted: 7/22/22 at 3:25am

jagman1062 said: "I enjoyed the song and I'm guessing we're going to get a very traditional Broadway score. Shaiman and Wittman have a distinct sound (as did Kander & Ebb and Rodgers & Hammerstein), so I understand the comparisons to the score from CMIYC (which I thought was dreadful and inferior to the score to Hairspray). It's a musical comedy, so I'm expecting a light-hearted show with a lot of comedic moments (an area where Borle excels) based on its film source. I just hope the score accomplishes what the show is meant to do - entertain."

Shaiman and Wittman's "distinct sound" is just 2nd rate, Kander & Ebb. 3rd rate, if I take out Hairspray and Smash.

bk
#35Sneak Preview of SOME LIKE IT HOT Released Today
Posted: 7/22/22 at 4:55am

I'd say that they're nothing like Kander and Ebb - and that this kind of song and mostly everything like it in Catch Me If You Can is channeling Sammy Cahn and Jimmy Van Heusen's songs for Sinatra.

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#36Sneak Preview of SOME LIKE IT HOT Released Today
Posted: 7/25/22 at 11:41pm

I LOVE THIS!

Jerethan said: "I thought that it was enjoyable, but did not strike me as ‘title of show’ song.  I could not see it becoming a show-stopper, which I expect from most songs that are also the title of the show."

Both Hairspray and Catch Me If You Can have close ties to 60s television. Hairspray with The Corney Collins Show, and CMIYC with 60s musical variety shows (especially, Sing Along With Mitch) and NBC's "...in living color" slogan.

Although it's much more sophisticated and fleshed out, I find this number to have a lot of similarities with TV sit-com theme songs. The lyrics don't seem to contribute to a storyline, other than to include only the specific title (like many sitcom theme songs do, also). The lyrics provoke a mood of fun and lightness like sit-com theme songs, too.

If you scrub forward to 3:12 in the video, and play through to the end, that's what (to my ears) sounds most like a TV theme song.

I'm not saying that that's their intent, but isolated from the rest of the score, and in light of the connections to 60s TV from their previous two musicals, I'm VERY interested to see how this song functions within the show.

I'm absolutely certain I'm going to purchase this as soon as it's available. LOVE IT! :)

Lola Getz2 Profile Photo
Lola Getz2
#37Sneak Preview of SOME LIKE IT HOT Released Today
Posted: 7/26/22 at 12:24pm

Although it's much more sophisticated and fleshed out, I find this number to have a lot of similarities with TV sit-com theme songs. The lyrics don't seem to contribute to a storyline, other than to include only the specific title (like many sitcom theme songs do, also). The lyrics provoke a mood of fun and lightness like sit-com theme songs, too.

That was my impression, too, which is why I linked the Huckleberry Hound theme 

BETTY22
#38Sneak Preview of SOME LIKE IT HOT Released Today
Posted: 7/26/22 at 6:03pm

I love they must have moved the show to the BIG BAND era.........

Videos