pixeltracker

Ball to star in ALW’s new reimagined ASPECTS OF LOVE- Page 4

Ball to star in ALW’s new reimagined ASPECTS OF LOVE

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#75Ball to star in ALW’s new reimagined ASPECTS OF LOVE
Posted: 5/27/23 at 1:19am

I love to shared Jennifer wills but you accpeting messages. I be happy to share. Walton aspects waa fantastic.
mom so happy to share my email is joeuk713 at email.  

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#76Ball to star in ALW’s new reimagined ASPECTS OF LOVE
Posted: 5/27/23 at 5:42am

Ann Crumb and Jennifer Hope Wills should give this girl playing Rose Vibert a few acting and singing lessons. ALW has been very off with his casting lately, from Elena Roger, to the girl that was in Bad Cinderella, now this girl who literally murdered the song Anything But Lonely, I'm not sure what he's thinking. Thankfully the male leads saved the show.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#77Ball to star in ALW’s new reimagined ASPECTS OF LOVE
Posted: 5/27/23 at 7:04am

I think some of us would just like a new recording because we’ve been listening to the same one for 34 years. 

But in addition to that, the video of “Seeing is Believing” from this cast boasts sound that is way more vivid than even the remastered version of the original recording. I would very much welcome a full recording that sounds like that. 

muscle23ftl
#78Ball to star in ALW’s new reimagined ASPECTS OF LOVE
Posted: 5/27/23 at 7:40am

Hello J, I sent you a PM.

Also, the girl playing Julietta at the Walnut was excellent, her name was Danielle. Forgot her last name. She also stole the show. The cast in Philly was very strong. Stronger than this West End production...Michael Ball is really carrying the show almost by himself with his star power.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#79Ball to star in ALW’s new reimagined ASPECTS OF LOVE
Posted: 5/27/23 at 8:22am

Ann Crumb and Jennifer Hope Wills should give this girl playing Rose Vibert a few acting and singing lessons. 

Unfortunately we lost Ann Crumb to ovarian cancer in 2019.

muscle23ftl
#80Ball to star in ALW’s new reimagined ASPECTS OF LOVE
Posted: 5/27/23 at 10:21am

I said in a previous post that Ann Crumb must be turning in her grave. I knew that already.

Updated On: 5/27/23 at 10:21 AM

muscle23ftl
#81Ball to star in ALW’s new reimagined ASPECTS OF LOVE
Posted: 5/27/23 at 12:15pm

This should have been Danielle Herbert's London debut as Julietta, she was much better than this other girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbooreRnZ5s

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#82Ball to star in ALW’s new reimagined ASPECTS OF LOVE
Posted: 5/27/23 at 3:14pm

muscle23ftl said: "I said in a previous post that Ann Crumb must be turning in her grave. I know that."

I really don't think the dead spend their afterlife fretting over musical revivals.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#83Ball to star in ALW’s new reimagined ASPECTS OF LOVE
Posted: 5/27/23 at 4:14pm

CATSNYrevival said: "
I really don't think the dead spend their afterlife fretting over musical revivals."

The people who run the "Broadway Up Close" tours might disagree. I've done 4 of their tours, and they really push the stories about haunted theatres, eg a lady in white at the New Amsterdam who was in the chorus of some show in the 20''s or 30's.

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#84Ball to star in ALW’s new reimagined ASPECTS OF LOVE
Posted: 5/27/23 at 10:46pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6WPZd3QG5j0

anyting is my fav. Sarah ❤️ Jenifer ❤️❤️❤️

muscle23ftl
#85Ball to star in ALW’s new reimagined ASPECTS OF LOVE
Posted: 5/28/23 at 7:12am

I love that video of SARAH, she acts very well there, on top of great singing. Rose Vibert in her most vulnerable state.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#86Ball to star in ALW’s new reimagined ASPECTS OF LOVE
Posted: 5/28/23 at 6:16pm

Just like The Woman in White revival at Charing Cross, this comes close to a successful scaled-down revival and falls short.

If they wanted to give Michael Ball Love Changes Everything as a solo, they needed something to replace the opening and the finale. Starting the show with the Master Builder sequence takes away the flashback premise of the show; it's not a good opening, it falls flat. Having the last line of the show to be Giuletta's Hand Me the Wine and the Dice is bizarre and anti-climatic.

Also sad they bothered so much with the title number and were so fixated to make the younger characters adults as to not come across as molesters, but didn't fix the shortcomings of the book. The inconsequential scene of Alex shooting Rose is still there, and George being so bothered with the Alex and Jenny relationship but having a history of polyamory and free love, still makes no sense either.

I didn't mind Alex's awful acting as a youngster, he does come across as sex-driven and dumb. But when he matures, it is hard to watch.

Otherwise the acting is amazing and so is the singing. The score is as lush as always and the set and lighting are gorgeous. Just for this, it is worth watching.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#87Ball to star in ALW’s new reimagined ASPECTS OF LOVE
Posted: 5/29/23 at 11:34am

Thanks for your thoughts, and for a very informative post! I haven't seen the new production, so forgive me if my comments suffer from any bad assumptions.

blaxx said: "Having the last line of the show to be Giuletta's Hand Me the Wine and the Dice is bizarre and anti-climatic."

According to the old Michael Walsh biography, ALW originally wanted to end the show with that line, followed by a stark piano chord, but decided in previews to tack on the mini-reprise of "Love Changes Everything." It sounds like he might have reverted to his original idea with this production.

"Also sad they bothered so much with the title number and were so fixated to make the younger characters adults as to not come across as molesters, but didn't fix the shortcomings of the book."

By title number, do you mean "Love Changes Everything," or is there a new song?

"The inconsequential scene of Alex shooting Rose is still there"

I was also hoping they'd get rid of that bit. It's not something you'd get over as easily as Rose seems to, and it's definitely not something to brush off with a comic song.

"and George being so bothered with the Alex and Jenny relationship but having a history of polyamory and free love, still makes no sense either."

I think it's something of a cliche that even the most rakish of men suddenly become prudes when it comes to their daughters, so I'm willing to go with this one.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#88Ball to star in ALW’s new reimagined ASPECTS OF LOVE
Posted: 5/29/23 at 12:09pm

So when does Michael Ball sing Love Changes Everything if it's not the opening number?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#89Ball to star in ALW’s new reimagined ASPECTS OF LOVE
Posted: 5/29/23 at 12:55pm

CATSNYrevival said: "So when does Michael Ball sing Love Changes Everything if it's not the opening number?"

He sings it to Rose about 25 mins into act one, after Alex leaves.

bryan2
#90Ball to star in ALW’s new reimagined ASPECTS OF LOVE
Posted: 5/29/23 at 1:31pm

"Ann Crumb and Jennifer Hope Wills should give this girl playing Rose Vibert a few acting and singing lessons"

Ann Crumb cannot help her as she unfortunately passed away

Updated On: 5/29/23 at 01:31 PM

muscle23ftl
#91Ball to star in ALW’s new reimagined ASPECTS OF LOVE
Posted: 5/29/23 at 6:16pm

I was going to respond to CATS that it was in the middle of act 1, but there was a glitch with the system.

I know that Ann is dead, please read my previous messages.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#92Ball to star in ALW’s new reimagined ASPECTS OF LOVE
Posted: 5/29/23 at 10:37pm

Jordan Catalano said: "CATSNYrevival said: "So when does Michael Ball sing Love Changes Everything if it's not the opening number?"

He sings it to Rose about 25 mins into act one, after Alex leaves.

"

Which stops the story and turns the moment into a Michael Ball concert, so random.

Does it make sense? No

Does it work for the play? No

Is it amazing to witness him sing the song? Absolutely 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#93Ball to star in ALW’s new reimagined ASPECTS OF LOVE
Posted: 5/29/23 at 10:44pm

kdogg36 said: "Thanks for your thoughts, and for a very informative post! I haven't seen the new production, so forgive me if my comments suffer from any bad assumptions.

blaxx said: "Having the last line of the show to be Giuletta's Hand Me the Wine and the Dice is bizarre and anti-climatic."

According to the old Michael Walsh biography, ALW originally wanted to end the show with that line, followed by a stark piano chord, but decided in previews to tack on the mini-reprise of "Love Changes Everything." It sounds like he might have reverted to his original idea with this production.

"Also sad they bothered so much with the title number and were so fixated to make the younger characters adults as to not come across as molesters, but didn't fix the shortcomings of the book."

By title number, do you mean "Love Changes Everything," or is there a new song?

"The inconsequential scene of Alex shooting Rose is still there"

I was also hoping they'd get rid of that bit. It's not something you'd get over as easily as Rose seems to, and it's definitely not something to brush off with a comic song.

"and George being so bothered with the Alex and Jenny relationship but having a history of polyamory and free love, still makes no sense either."

I think it's something of a cliche that even the most rakish of men suddenly become prudes when it comes to their daughters, so I'm willing to go with this one.

"

Maybe you're right about him being overprotective of Jenny. But having a heart attack when his wife's lover is living with them?

For how sexually free the characters are throughout, it adds nothing for him to react like that all of a sudden. Especially as Alex the uncle is acting exactly as George the uncle, it's karma.

One more scene I missed was Rose and Gullietta sleeping together. 

djjd007
#94Ball to star in ALW’s new reimagined ASPECTS OF LOVE
Posted: 5/31/23 at 11:25pm

CATSNYrevival said: "I really don't think the dead spend their afterlife fretting over musical revivals."

Will someone please inform the ghost of Arthur Laurents?

sparklingtonic2
#95Ball to star in ALW’s new reimagined ASPECTS OF LOVE
Posted: 6/1/23 at 2:30pm

kdogg36 said: 'Thanks for your thoughts ... blaxx said: "Having the last line of the show to be Giuletta's Hand Me the Wine and the Dice is bizarre and anti-climatic."

According to the old Michael Walsh biography, ALW originally wanted to end the show with that line, followed by a stark piano chord, but decided in previews to tack on the mini-reprise of "Love Changes Everything." It sounds like he might have reverted to his original idea with this production. ...'

Was "Anything but Lonely" part of ALW's original vision? Just asking because on the OLC recording it follows "Hand Me the Wine and the Dice," and I've always thought that worked well.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#96Ball to star in ALW’s new reimagined ASPECTS OF LOVE
Posted: 6/1/23 at 4:51pm

sparklingtonic2 said: "Was "Anything but Lonely" part of ALW's original vision? Just asking because on the OLC recording it follows "Hand Me the Wine and the Dice," and I've always thought that worked well."

It's been a while since I read Walsh's biography, but I think he was referring to Giulietta singing just the line "hand me the wine and the dice" near the end of the show (as on the recording), not the song itself. The only thing that follows is a little piece of "Love Changes Everything" to end the show. So this would be after the song "Hand Me the Wine and the Dice" as well as "Anything But Lonely."

sparklingtonic2
#97Ball to star in ALW’s new reimagined ASPECTS OF LOVE
Posted: 6/1/23 at 5:54pm

kdogg36 said: "sparklingtonic2 said: "Was "Anything but Lonely" part of ALW's original vision? Just asking because on the OLC recording it follows "Hand Me the Wine and the Dice," and I've always thought that worked well."

It's been a while since I read Walsh's biography, but I think he was referring to Giulietta singing just the line "hand me the wine and the dice" near the end of the show (as on the recording), not the song itself. The only thing that follows is a little piece of "Love Changes Everything" to end the show. So this would be after the song "Hand Me the Wine and the Dice" as well as "Anything But Lonely."
"

Ah right -- got it, thank you!

Piparoo Profile Photo
Piparoo
#98Ball to star in ALW’s new reimagined ASPECTS OF LOVE
Posted: 6/2/23 at 7:04pm

Just came back from seeing it tonight and, as a looong time admirer of the show, and having loved seeing it way back when, and a surprisingly good non equity production in Chicago ten years ago, I did not love this production. While I don’t think the changes to the book were necessary - i.e. making Alex eighteen and an American, having Jenny be eighteen instead of fifteen, I understand why they were made. 

Hits for me were the talented cast, particularly the performers playing Giulietta, both Jennies, Marcel, Elizabeth and all of the supporting cast. Costumes and lighting were strong. Generally beautiful singing all around.

Misses - I didn’t much care for Jamie’s acting choices. He has a sweet singing voice and was serviceable, in a part that has been neutered by the book changes.

The stage turntables added little and, at least at one point, were comical. First act scene with Alex and Rose in the Villa, before George arrives, featured not one but two empty settees rotating all the way around the stage for no good reason.

The video projections and curtain work were clever but seemed cheap to me. In fact, the entire set seemed oddly small. I’d love to see some steps for Rose and later Jenny to make their grand entrances in the red dress. As it stands, there’s a six inch platform and a doorway. 

Laura Pitt-Pullford is a talented singer and actress. The choices being made don’t seem right for Rose. Rose is a force, self-absorbed and a skilled manipulator. Kinda what I was hoping to get and didn’t from Tuppence Middleton as Elizabeth Taylor in the motive and the cue the night before, but that’s another chat for another day. Laura’s Rose seems more open-hearted. She falls for Alex very quickly, where I’d like to see her toy with him a bit more before falling. And by the end of the show, Laura’s Rose reads more like Norma Desmond - brittle, broken. I think these are deliberate choices. I commend them but they’re less effective than other Roses I’ve seen.

Didn’t like the removal of the timpani? from the orchestrations in Hand me the Wine and the Dice. Otherwise they were fine

Now, Mr. Ball. Lovely voice, interesting, somewhat youthful take on George. His acting isn’t what is putting the grey hairs, like me in the seats. Ay, there’s the rub. Ball sells tickets, (I’m assuming) so the creative team bend, and truss and trim this show to accommodate his talent. And in doing so, strip the show of any juice it has. As has been previously mentioned, leaving out the opening and closing reprises of LCE was an extremely unwelcome cut, particularly at the end. Closing with Giulietta’s line left the audience confused, and not in any way powerful or dramatic. Alas, shoehorning LCE into act 1 completely stops the momentum of the show. 
Refocusing this show on George when, in my humble opinion, it is really about Rose’s journey, doesn’t work with Mr. Ball playing the role. I’m not convinced it could work with any other actor focused on George.

Is it too much to ask for a production of this show that explores the Rose/Giulietta dynamic more? They seem like the star crossed lovers here, while all the boys do their boy things.

Updated On: 6/2/23 at 07:04 PM

muscle23ftl
#99Ball to star in ALW’s new reimagined ASPECTS OF LOVE
Posted: 6/2/23 at 7:32pm

I basically agree with everything you say, well, they need to be 18yo now, because we're living in "woke" times and it can be a scandal if they are under 18yo now.

Was the theater full?

Wasn't Anything But Lonely the worst version ever of this song? The acting was atrocious?

Regarding the actor playing the role of Alex, he just can't act, not sure if it was a "choice" but maybe you're being extremely diplomatic. In any case, the actress paying the role of Rose was also absolutely terrible in this show.

Videos