pixeltracker

New York Times names Funny Girl's Julie Benko "Theater's Breakout Star of 2022"

New York Times names Funny Girl's Julie Benko "Theater's Breakout Star of 2022"

BETTY22
#2New York Times names Funny Girl's Julie Benko "Theater's Breakout Star of 2022"
Posted: 12/16/22 at 7:04pm

I saw her a few months ago - SHE WAS GREAT.

What a bight future she has. I can't wait to follow her glorious career. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#3New York Times names Funny Girl's Julie Benko "Theater's Breakout Star of 2022"
Posted: 12/16/22 at 7:05pm

She was great in Funny Girl but I’ve known that for years now.

Good for her. 

Oh look, a bibu!

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#4New York Times names Funny Girl's Julie Benko "Theater's Breakout Star of 2022"
Posted: 12/16/22 at 7:11pm

A great boost to her already promising career. It is very much well deserved - she's more than held her own and proved to be a crowd pleaser. 

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#5New York Times names Funny Girl's Julie Benko "Theater's Breakout Star of 2022"
Posted: 12/16/22 at 7:16pm

CarlosAlberto said: "A great boost to her already promising career. It is very much well deserved - she's more than held her own and proved to be a crowd pleaser."

I was so impressed by her when I saw Funny Girl this summer. I didn't love the show but I loved her. She seems like a genuinely wonderful person too so I hope she has many more roles and accolades coming her way.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#6New York Times names Funny Girl's Julie Benko "Theater's Breakout Star of 2022"
Posted: 12/16/22 at 7:53pm

Benko is part of a list.  NYT didn’t exclusively title her that.

The actual heading needs to be fixed.

New York Times names Funny Girl's Julie Benko

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#7New York Times names Funny Girl's Julie Benko "Theater's Breakout Star of 2022"
Posted: 12/16/22 at 7:54pm

Peter C Yeager said: "https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/16/arts/breakout-stars-2022-music-tv-movies.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage§ion=Arts"

Not just Julie Breakout STARS 2022!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Navin Johnson
#8New York Times names Funny Girl's Julie Benko "Theater's Breakout Star of 2022"
Posted: 12/16/22 at 8:08pm

She’s the only one from THEATER. The list is of breakout stars in different spheres - TV, film, dance, etc. The heading that Benko has been named the NYT’s THEATER breakout star of the year is correct.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#9New York Times names Funny Girl's Julie Benko "Theater's Breakout Star of 2022"
Posted: 12/16/22 at 8:47pm

I think once again this is a hint to the producers of Funny Girl saying: "you picked the wrong girl for the role"---thankfully LEA saved the show. I also saw a list of the 50 best things about NYC and it said LEA for saving Funny Girl. Haha. Did anyone see that list? I can't find it now.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#10New York Times names Funny Girl's Julie Benko "Theater's Breakout Star of 2022"
Posted: 12/16/22 at 9:28pm

muscle23ftl said: "I think once again this is a hint to the producers of Funny Girl saying: "you picked the wrong girl for the role"---thankfully LEA saved the show. I also saw a list of the 50 best things about NYC and it said LEA for saving Funny Girl. Haha. Did anyone see that list? I can't find it now."

You bet the producers and Director Michael Mayer know they picked the wrong girl for the role - Beanie Feldstein!

Lea did save Funny Girl! That list sounds like it's from Time Out New York 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Peter C Yeager
#11New York Times names Funny Girl's Julie Benko
Posted: 12/16/22 at 10:22pm

No, BF, my headline is correct.  The article identifies one breakout star in each of several artistic performance areas.  Julie was named for theater.  The headline I wrote is the correct description of what occurred; it is not the NYT headline and was not meant to be.

It is also interesting to see how quickly distorted threads can become.  My original post is not about Lea Michele, or anyone saving Funny Girl.  It is simply about a young actor's being recognized for what she has accomplished in the show.  I would think that in the theater world that is something to be celebrated, not dismissed with irrelevancies.  

TheatreFan
Updated On: 12/16/22 at 10:22 PM

AllThatJazz2
#12New York Times names Funny Girl's Julie Benko
Posted: 12/16/22 at 10:37pm

Lea was out the night we had tickets last month, and my friend and I were absolutely blown away by Julie and her performance. Glad to see this! 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#13New York Times names Funny Girl's Julie Benko
Posted: 12/16/22 at 10:52pm

Peter C Yeager said: 

“It is also interesting to see how quickly distorted threads can become. My original post is not about Lea Michele, or anyone saving Funny Girl. It is simply about a young actor's being recognized for what she has accomplished in the show. I would think that in the theater world that is something to be celebrated, not dismissed with irrelevancies."

You can always count on certain posters to unnecessarily drag Lea Michele into Julie Benko conversations. Like the time someone commented on Julie’s dedicated thread how much they loved her performance of “Parade,” and the next post was one of the usual suspects saying how much better Lea’s was. Insufferable.

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#14New York Times names Funny Girl's Julie Benko
Posted: 12/16/22 at 11:14pm

Stephanie Hsu also gets a nice mention in that article as the 'Movies' breakout star, for her role in 'Everything Everywhere All At Once'.

Latest Posts