pixeltracker

PARADE On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 10

PARADE On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#225PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/30/23 at 5:02pm

Mr. Grayson will have a strong chance of getting a supporting actor nod…..

PipingHotPiccolo
#226PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/30/23 at 7:51pm

I assume its a tiny role, but Danielle Lee Greaves was a KILLER Joanne in RENT 20 yrs ago, thrilled to see her still singing up there. 

Jarethan
#227PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/31/23 at 10:40am

And still no discount codes??

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#228PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/31/23 at 1:07pm

As one of the probably few fans of CDS Paramour, I'm thrilled to see Ryan Vona as Ben's standby. I'd actually want to see it with him, tbh.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#229PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/31/23 at 7:21pm

everythingtaboo said: "As one of the probably few fans of CDS Paramour, I'm thrilled to see Ryan Vona as Ben's standby. I'd actually want to see it with him, tbh."

Ben is not performing May 19 & 20 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

halfhourcheckwithmerman
#230PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/1/23 at 12:05pm

Question -- is Platt likely to perform Sunday matinees? Considering going May 21st (the Sunday after his two-day scheduled absence)... is that a likely day he'd miss? 

And also wondering about discount codes. 

"I feel safe with you, and complete with you / I'm always finding money in the street with you." -Sheldon Harnick
Updated On: 2/1/23 at 12:05 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#231PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/3/23 at 10:55am

Well I guess this is why Dossett isn't moving with it. Maybe he feels joining the WICKED family will be a better investment in the longterm? And he'll be appearing alongside his wife, Michelle Pawk.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/John-Dossett-Kimber-Elayne-Sprawl-and-William-Youmans-Join-WICKED-This-Spring-20230203

PipingHotPiccolo
#232PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/3/23 at 5:06pm

i cant fathom why Dossett wouldnt transfer with this so he can do a show that will be waiting for him whenever he wants it in the next decade- must be about performing with his wife, which is adorable.

BorisTomashevsky
#233PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/3/23 at 7:50pm

In addition to working in the same show as his wife, the money for Wicked is probably miles better. 

Updated On: 2/3/23 at 07:50 PM

SouthernCakes
#234PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/3/23 at 8:20pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "i cant fathom why Dossett wouldnt transfer with this so he can do a show that will be waiting for him whenever he wants it in the next decade- must be about performing with his wife, which is adorable."

Can’t fathom? A very good paycheck and the knowledge that you’ll be employed for your full contract instead of going with a show that could fold whenever. Makes a lot of sense. And once you’re in the Wicked universe you could get sent to any of the other companies etc. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#235PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/4/23 at 12:40am

SouthernCakes said: "Can’t fathom? A very good paycheck and the knowledge that you’ll be employed for your full contract instead of going with a show that could fold whenever. Makes a lot of sense. And once you’re in the Wicked universe you could get sent to any of the other companies etc."

Yea, these are all good practical reasons for a working actor who may be saving for retirement to choose a gig. And tho he was good in PARADE at NYCC, it's not like he was ever going to get a Tony nom for it. It's a lucky position to be in, after 5 years away from Bway between WAR PAINT and PARADISE SQUARE.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#236PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/4/23 at 3:06am

Exactly. I think people confuse. it. Yes it is art, but also, you have to be practical. What will pay your bills long term? Not everyone has Platt's daddy.

JasonC3
#237PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/4/23 at 5:46am

Seems pretty probable that at this stage of life Ben Platt is not reliant on his father's finances.

PipingHotPiccolo
#238PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/4/23 at 6:26pm

RippedMan said: "Exactly. I think people confuse. it. Yes it is art, but also, you have to be practical. What will pay your bills long term? Not everyone has Platt's daddy."

when bitter jealousy causes irrational bile. happens to the best of us, still uncomfortable to watch. but yes, this is really about how Ben Platt went to private school. insightful!

Dosset is a pro who has been working regularly for decades. The notion that he would choose Wicked over Parade because Wicked is a longer gig makes no sense unless you think that Wicked wouldn't hire him for this exact same gig next year if he wanted it. There's a universe where he very likely gets to do both, and what makes the MOST sense is that (i) he loves working with his wife, and (ii) Wicked pays more. Both good reasons! 

But lets get back to how Ben Platt and Beanie Feldstein (and only them, and people with, uh, "backgrounds" similar to them) are the problem! 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#239PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/4/23 at 10:12pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "RippedMan said: "Exactly. I think people confuse. it. Yes it is art, but also, you have to be practical. What will pay your bills long term? Not everyone has Platt's daddy."

when bitter jealousy causes irrational bile. happens to the best of us, still uncomfortable to watch. but yes, this is really about how Ben Platt went to private school. insightful!

Dosset is a pro who has been working regularly for decades. The notion that he would choose Wicked over Parade because Wicked is a longer gig makes no sense unless you think that Wicked wouldn't hire him for this exact same gig next year if he wanted it. There's a universe where he very likely gets to do both, and what makes the MOST sense is that (i) he loves working with his wife, and (ii) Wicked pays more. Both good reasons!

But lets get back to how Ben Platt and Beanie Feldstein (and only them, and people with, uh, "backgrounds" similar to them) are the problem!
"

Who are you even fighting with, ha? You clearly don't get how theater works. There's no guarantee the part will be available in a year. Wicked is a consistent paycheck for his full contract. Parade could close within a week. Makes a lot of logical sense. 

PipingHotPiccolo
#240PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/4/23 at 10:57pm

Im not fighting with anyone. you want to take jabs at ben platt, feel free, ill point out the inanity and hypocrisy every time. 

Parade could close within a week. Wicked will certainly be open in a year. If money/hiswife/somethingelse wasn't a factor, it would be wild to turn down a Bway transfer so he can take a role that will be most likely waiting for him in a year. Just surmising, I'm not his accountant. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#241PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/4/23 at 11:09pm

But the job wouldn't be waiting for him in a year. The current person could extend, they could get a celeb replacement for a few months, etc. It's not like he can just bookmark it. Or what if Parade closes early he gets another gig that then conflicts with the Wicked gig. I get that a Broadway transfer seems like a big deal but there are a lot of variables at play. And hypocrisy isn't the word you want. I'm not a nepobaby. 

PipingHotPiccolo
#242PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/4/23 at 11:32pm

hypocrisy is the perfect word (or at least the kindest) given you dont take potshots at the various other "nepobabies" on bway.

and you are 100% right that i cant predict the future re Wicked/Parade- neither can you- and that he might have made the same calculation you are making here. we are agreeing that Parade closes in 6 months. we are agreeing Wicked will be open in a year. but i think he will be able to do Wicked at some point in the near  future, and it seems like a strange choice unless there's a family/financial reason, which are good reasons.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#243PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/4/23 at 11:45pm

Thanks for being a mega fan and reading ALL my points to deduce that. 

Also, would you rather get paid Broadway minimum for 6 month or a VERY healthy paycheck for a year? That's the decision. 

PipingHotPiccolo
#244PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/4/23 at 11:49pm

i read what comes across my screen, and i think im calling it pretty dang accurately. you being nasty and bitter about Ben Platt (and Beanie...and who else? maybe i missed it!) is your problem, and certainly ain't mine. they, and i, are doing really great.

and yes, i said repeatedly from the jump that if Wicked is paying more, it makes perfect sense. not sure how you missed that. i just said that if it ISNT about more Wicked $$ (or his wife), then it doesn't make alot of sense since i think the role in Wicked is waiting for him whenever he wants it next. thats all.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#245PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/4/23 at 11:57pm

Yeah, I think Nepotism across the board is stupid. You can see it in the other threads about the new musical with Butz. The guy cast his daughter and she's awful. Or making someone's son a quarterback because his father was. Hate it.

And when isn't about the money? That's what I'm saying you don't understand about being a working actor. It's about the money. Maybe if he thought some awards/recognition might come from it, but it's usually about the money. It's still a job and still a business even though it's art.

PipingHotPiccolo
#246PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/5/23 at 12:43am

i dont know how to help you read my explicit comment above saying that a bigger paycheck might be the reason and would be a good one. im guessing you know i said that, but are doubling down on the idea that he has to grab this financial opportunity now, whereas i am guessing--just guessing--that if he said to the folks at Wicked "Im about to transfer with Parade" they'd welcome him in the same role, at the same price, one year from now. shrug. you cant accept that rationale. 

and your football analogy makes me smile; as if ANY quarterback would be able to survive a few games if the talent wasnt there, on account of nepotism. even more ridiculous than suggesting platt (or liza, or charlotte, or washington) would be able to sustain the career he has based on a powerful parent. tell me you have no idea how a business works (professional sports, broadway, you name it) without telling me etc etc. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#247PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/5/23 at 1:43am

PipingHotPiccolo said: "i dont know how to help you read my explicit comment above saying that a bigger paycheck might be the reason and would be a good one. im guessing you know i said that, but are doubling down on the idea that he has to grab this financial opportunity now, whereas i am guessing--just guessing--that if he said to the folks at Wicked "Im about to transfer with Parade" they'd welcome him in the same role, at the same price, one year from now. shrug. you cant accept that rationale.

and your football analogy makes me smile; as if ANY quarterback would be able to survive a few games if the talent wasnt there, on account ofnepotism. even more ridiculous than suggesting platt (or liza, or charlotte, or washington) would be able to sustain the career he has based on a powerful parent. tell me you have no idea how a business works (professional sports, broadway, you name it) without telling me etc etc.
"

Bo Nicks was a terrible quarterback for Auburn. And now he’s with the Patriots. 
I accept what you’re saying but you’re not living in the reality of the business. 

PipingHotPiccolo
#248PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/5/23 at 2:27am

ill stop bc this is getting tedious, but (i) i am not an actor in the business, (ii) Bo Nix is not with the Patriots (or any other NFL team-- hes a college QB who will enter the draft in a few months, did you just google "nepotism football" to try and justify your ridiculous analogy?

but look if you really think there are NFL quarterbacks coasting through seasons because their dads were famous, then I guess it makes sense to apply the same delusion to a bway performer like Platt (but curiously not to, i dont know, Denzel's kid a few blocks over...funny how that works). We can agree we are living in two different realities. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#249PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/5/23 at 2:53am

Yeah, read the reviews on this board, Denzel's "kid" isn't great. And no I didn't just Google anything, I just don't care about sports. But you're still wrong. Per a very easy Google search:Bo Nix (born February 25, 2000) is an American football quarterback for the Oregon Ducks. Nix played with the Auburn Tigers from 2019 to 2021 before ... 

I don't get why you're so pro-nepostism? I mean, in terms of this board, Beanie proved that. Misguided. Miscast. I think she's lovely, but she's by no means right for that part. And I agree Platt is very talented, but he got to where he is because of his father. That's a fact. You can look at his brother who hasn't been as successful.

We are def. living in two different realities. You clearly don't know how this business works.