pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/23

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/23

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/23
Posted: 1/10/23 at 5:21pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 1/8/2023 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: TOPDOG / UNDERDOG (12.4%), OHIO STATE MURDERS (10.8%), FUNNY GIRL (4.9%), THE COLLABORATION (2.4%), A STRANGE LOOP (1.1%), THE LION KING (0.7%), KIMBERLY AKIMBO (0.6%), DEATH OF A SALESMAN (0.3%), MIKE BIRBIGLIA: THE OLD MAN & THE POOL (0.3%), BEETLEJUICE (0.2%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: LEOPOLDSTADT (-13.5%), INTO THE WOODS (-9.4%), SOME LIKE IT HOT (-7.7%), A BEAUTIFUL NOISE, THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL (-7%), CHICAGO (-7%), 1776 (-6.5%), BETWEEN RIVERSIDE AND CRAZY (-5.7%), ALMOST FAMOUS (-5.6%), TAKE ME OUT (-4.3%), SIX (-1.9%), THE MUSIC MAN (-1.2%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (-1%), HAMILTON (-0.9%), & JULIET (-0.9%), ALADDIN (-0.8%), WICKED (-0.7%), HADESTOWN (-0.4%), THE PIANO LESSON (-0.4%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (-0.3%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (-0.1%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/23
Posted: 1/10/23 at 5:25pm

Those Akimbo numbers continue to make me happy. 

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/23
Posted: 1/10/23 at 5:30pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Those Akimbo numbers continue to make me happy."

It’s probably the best original piece of theatre this season in my opinion! Hopefully it continues to gross well each week! 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/23
Posted: 1/10/23 at 5:31pm

Outside of 1776, Between Riverside and Crazy, and Ohio State Murders, none of these numbers are terrible...and in truth I would have to guess all shows excluding those three mentioned actually turned a profit last week. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/23
Posted: 1/10/23 at 5:31pm

Is Akimbo on track to be the next Gentlemen’s Guide or Fun Home? If they maintain these numbers they should reach the Tonys and what other show could win Best Musical?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Jordan Catalano
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/23
Posted: 1/10/23 at 5:38pm

binau said: "Is Akimbo on track to be the next Gentlemen’s Guide or Fun Home? If they maintain these numbers they should reach the Tonys and what other show could win Best Musical?"

From your lips…

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/23
Posted: 1/10/23 at 5:43pm

I'm pleasantly surprised most shows didn't plunge after New Year's Day. Good for Broadway!

Oh look, a bibu!

akhoya87
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/23
Posted: 1/10/23 at 5:51pm

Are those Beetlejuice numbers accurate?  I could have sworn the top-dollar tickets that they released for the final show topped out at $500+.  (People bought them, too.)

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/23
Posted: 1/10/23 at 6:09pm

akhoya87 said: "Are those Beetlejuice numbers accurate? I could have sworn the top-dollar tickets that they released for the final show topped out at $500+. (People bought them, too.)"

Also, the Marquis doesn't have SRO, so how are they able to be well over 100% capacity?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

chrishuyen
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/23
Posted: 1/10/23 at 6:12pm

Do box seats count as over capacity?

Also I'm sure the subscriber model/possible papering is accounting for low grosses in Between Riverside and Crazy but I'm so happy people are going to see it.

And I saw & Juliet recently put another block of tickets on sale, so if they keep up these numbers, they'll probably run for a good while.

BETTY22
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/23
Posted: 1/10/23 at 7:15pm

A very solid week. 

Jarethan
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/23
Posted: 1/10/23 at 7:17pm

Two questions:

--Was weather in NYC balmy last week?

-- Is the first week of the year still the calm before the winter storm...I don't remember that being the case, but these grosses are generally solid, a lot better than what I was expecting.  Hell, 13 shows were at 99%+ capacity.  Pretty amazing, especially considering that 6 and Funny Girl just missed the cut.  Wonder how much FG would be grossing if LM did 8 shows a week, probably another $150K a week.

Good to see that SLIH is doing better than before Christmas...maybe it is s l o w l y turning a curve?  I doubt it, but hope so, since I won't be able to see it until May.  On the other hand, are we seeing the start of A Beautiful Noise's descent?  Seems like a pattern we have seen before...very high early grosses, quickly diminishing as the advance sales wind down??

Were Riverside and A Strange Loop hit with Covid?  

Despite better grosses, still a sad time for 'non-event' straight plays.  I guess that has always been the case...just seems more extreme, perhaps because of the contrast against themusicals selling lots of premium tickets.

Updated On: 1/10/23 at 07:17 PM

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/23
Posted: 1/10/23 at 7:40pm

Between Riverside cancelled shows on Wednesday, Thursday, and I think Sunday. I had tickets for one of those shows Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/23

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Broadway Buddy
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/23
Posted: 1/10/23 at 8:05pm

ACL2006 said: "akhoya87 said: "Are those Beetlejuice numbers accurate? I could have sworn the top-dollar tickets that they released for the final show topped out at $500+. (People bought them, too.)"

Also, the Marquis doesn't have SRO, so how are they able to be well over 100% capacity?
"

Apparently they do! They sold them for the last week only for $40 and were at the back of the mezz.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/23
Posted: 1/10/23 at 8:21pm

Interesting. Honestly didn't think the Marquis had the space for SRO. Probably the first show to offer it in about 20 years.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Jordan Catalano
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/23
Posted: 1/10/23 at 8:38pm

I used to do standing room at the Marquis, behind the last row I’d the mezz. I remember them saying something like if you’re under 5’10 you won’t be able to see anything. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/23
Posted: 1/10/23 at 9:22pm

Jarethan said: "Two questions:

It was warm this week. Currently, NYC is in a bit of a warm front through Saturday.

-- Is the first week of the year still the calm before the winter storm...I don't remember that being the case, but these grosses are generally solid, a lot better than what I was expecting. Hell, 13 shows were at 99%+ capacity.Pretty amazing, especially considering that 6 and Funny Girl just missed the cut. Wonder how much FG would be grossing if LM did 8 shows a week, probably another $150K a week.

Good to see that SLIH is doing better than before Christmas...maybe it is s l o w l y turning a curve? I doubt it, but hope so, since I won't be able to see it until May. On the other hand, are we seeing the start of A Beautiful Noise's descent? Seems like a pattern we have seen before...very high early grosses, quickly diminishing as the advance sales wind down??

Were Riverside and A Strange Loop hit with Covid?

Despite better grosses, still a sad time for 'non-event' straight plays. I guess that has always been the case...just seems more extreme, perhaps because of the contrast against themusicals selling lots of premium tickets.

Yes, Riverside had 4 canceled shows and A Strange Loop had 3 cancelations. 

"

On another note, A BEAUTIFUL NOISE was sold-out all weekend but their weeknight shows were around 60%. Maybe they should alter their schedule? Tuesday at 7pm, Wednesday & Thursday @ 2pm, Friday at 8pm, Saturday @ 2pm & 8pm, Sunday @ 1pm & 7:30pm?

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/23
Posted: 1/10/23 at 11:38pm

Jarethan said: "Two questions:

It was particularly warm for January but also dreary and rainy and gross

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/23
Posted: 1/11/23 at 8:38am

Phantom at #2 smiley

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 1/8/23
Posted: 1/11/23 at 12:19pm

ACL2006 said: "Interesting. Honestly didn't think the Marquis had the space for SRO. Probably the first show to offer it in about 20 years."

I saw Me and My Girl from standing room in 1987 at the Marquis.  I paid $5!

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Videos