Any news on DEAR WORLD casting?

maxd
#1Any news on DEAR WORLD casting?
Posted: 2/5/23 at 10:39pm

Encores production with Donna Murphy opens March 15th. Has anyone heard any casting besides her yet?

Dollypop
#2Any news on DEAR WORLD casting?
Posted: 2/6/23 at 8:12pm

Please don't tell me there's truth to the rumor that Beanie Feldstein has joined the cast as one of the other madwomen.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

amiyagi
#3Any news on DEAR WORLD casting?
Posted: 2/6/23 at 10:28pm

Weird we don't have a cast for this or Oliver! either. Initial Into the Woods cast was announced in August, granted 2 out of the 3 changed (Park, Borle) but still. Makes me think there are no big names (like Bareilles, NPH) attached to any of the productions this year. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#4Any news on DEAR WORLD casting?
Posted: 2/7/23 at 2:49pm

Joining Donna Murphy will be:

Brooks Ashmanskas

Andréa Burns

Ann Harada

Christopher Fitzgerald

Kody Jauron

Phillip Johnson Richardson

Samantha Williams

Updated On: 2/7/23 at 02:49 PM

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#5Any news on DEAR WORLD casting?
Posted: 2/7/23 at 4:05pm

I'm not familiar with the show, so I have no idea how well any of these people will fit into their roles. But, I love them all and I'm glad to see them in things!

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#6Any news on DEAR WORLD casting?
Posted: 2/8/23 at 10:33am

Putting roles to the names Taffy listed

Joining previously announced Donna Murphy as Countess Aurelia are Brooks Ashmanskas (President), Andréa Burns (Constance), Christopher Fitzgerald (Sewerman), Ann Harada (Gabrielle), Kody Jauron (Artiste), Phillip Johnson Richardson (Julian), Samantha Williams (Nina).

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Andra-Burns-Christopher-Fitzgerald-Ann-Harada-and-More-Join-DEAR-WORLD-at-City-Center-Encores-20230208

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#7Any news on DEAR WORLD casting?
Posted: 2/8/23 at 10:44am

What a good cast.

There’s not a discount code outside of subscribing or the Access 25 program, right?

Thescapist29
#8Any news on DEAR WORLD casting?
Posted: 2/8/23 at 2:13pm

I haven’t seen any discount codes - but tickets are available on TodayTix and are slightly cheaper than those on the City Center site.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#9Any news on DEAR WORLD casting?
Posted: 2/8/23 at 2:19pm

Perhaps an obvious point but current sales to me would suggest almost zero chance of a Broadway transfer so I hope everyone runs to city Center to see it!!! It will be a historic and rare occasion to hear Donna Murphy sing “I don’t want to know” “kiss her now” and “and I was beautiful”. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#10Any news on DEAR WORLD casting?
Posted: 2/8/23 at 2:42pm

binau said: "Perhaps an obvious point but current sales to me would suggest almost zero chance of a Broadway transfer so I hope everyone runs to city Center to see it!!! It will be a historic and rare occasion to hear Donna Murphy sing “I don’t want to know” “kiss her now” and “and I was beautiful”."

Yes, obvious but worth underlining. Donna Murphy is not a name who gets a show to Broadway or gets a cast album financed in this climate. She and her costars aren’t selling to the masses. The recent Encores hits & transfers are anomalies, not the standard…enjoy them while they last!

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#11Any news on DEAR WORLD casting?
Posted: 2/8/23 at 3:26pm

I hate to start it, but as there is only one recording of the show, I wouldn't be surprised if someone recorded this cast. I know it wouldn't seel a lot, but still. 

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

binau Profile Photo
binau
#12Any news on DEAR WORLD casting?
Posted: 2/8/23 at 3:32pm

That would be the dream. It would ALMOST make up for the fact that they didn't record Donna Murphy, Raul and Sutton's Anyone Can Whistle.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#13Any news on DEAR WORLD casting?
Posted: 2/8/23 at 3:43pm

fashionguru_23 wrote: "I hate to start it, but as there is only one recording of the show, I wouldn't be surprised if someone recorded this cast. I know it wouldn't sell a lot, but still."

The OBC recording, with Angela Lansbury, is pretty fantastic. It's beautifully produced and the sound and performances make it one of the best cast recordings of a Broadway flop ever. Still, I'd love to hear Donna Murphy's take on the score.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#14Any news on DEAR WORLD casting?
Posted: 2/8/23 at 3:53pm

MichelleCraig said: "The OBC recording, with Angela Lansbury, is pretty fantastic. It's beautifully produced and the sound and performances make it one of the best cast recordings of a Broadway flop ever. Still, I'd love to hear Donna Murphy's take on the score."

Oh, I couldn't agree with you more. It's beautiful.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Videos