CHESS Champions?

OuttaTowner
#1CHESS Champions?
Posted: 7/8/23 at 1:54pm

Most of us have heard Lea is onboard as Florence  

But I haven’t heard much on who will be joining her as Freddy and Anatoly. 
Anyone have the scuttlebutt?

DCS
#2CHESS Champions?
Posted: 7/8/23 at 2:34pm

That's going to be interesting casting.  Freddie and Anatoly are both great roles.  Any idea if the new MUNY libretto is the one that will be used for Broadway?

OuttaTowner
#3CHESS Champions?
Posted: 7/8/23 at 2:54pm

I believe the MUNY is using the 1986 London version. 

OuttaTowner
#4CHESS Champions?
Posted: 7/8/23 at 4:41pm

Thinking Skyler Astin might make a good Freddie. Unfortunately, he’s tied up with is tv commitments. 

mshalo18
#5CHESS Champions?
Posted: 7/8/23 at 4:52pm

OuttaTowner said: "Thinking Skyler Astin might make a good Freddie. Unfortunately, he’s tied up with is tv commitments."

What about James D. Gish?

BETTY22
#6CHESS Champions?
Posted: 7/8/23 at 4:58pm

What happened to talk of CHESS coming to Broadway? Is it this production or another?

OuttaTowner
#7CHESS Champions?
Posted: 7/8/23 at 5:17pm

We’re talking about the upcoming Broadway production. Winter/spring 2024. 

There’s also currently a short run occurring at the MUNY in St. Louis. 

Wayman_Wong
#8CHESS Champions?
Posted: 7/8/23 at 6:40pm

A glimpse of the 'Chess' opening at the Muny in St. Louis ...

Starring Jarrod Spector, John Riddle and Jessica Vosk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6QZJVV3XAk

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#9CHESS Champions?
Posted: 7/8/23 at 8:09pm

Hopefully they'll get some more notable names and not just bank on Lea's name. I think her in Funny Girl was a lightning in a bottle situation and not sure people will flock to see her in anything. But we shall see! 

Penna2
#10CHESS Champions?
Posted: 7/8/23 at 8:20pm

OuttaTowner said: "Most of us have heard Lea is onboard as Florence

"

I'm hoping Ramin for Anatoly - capitalize on his and Lea's FG chemistry. He recently did the concert and did a production in D.C. and another in Japan. There was some talk ater the concert that he repeat the role when it comes to Broadway.

NoItAll
#11CHESS Champions?
Posted: 7/8/23 at 8:30pm

mshalo18 said: "OuttaTowner said: "Thinking Skyler Astin might make a good Freddie. Unfortunately, he’s tied up with is tv commitments."

"

I know very little about male Broadway singers, so I had to look up Gish on YouTube. Nice voice, better than the current Ramin, anyway. So who are other possibilities available early 2024? (Before recommending Darren Criss, please be advised I know someone at the NSA who could find out who you are.)

Penna2
#12CHESS Champions?
Posted: 7/8/23 at 11:46pm

NoItAll said: "mshalo18 said: "OuttaTowner said: "Thinking Skyler Astin might make a good Freddie. Unfortunately, he’s tied up with is tv commitments."

"

I know very little about male Broadway singers, so I had to look up Gish on YouTube. Nice voice, better than the current Ramin, anyway.So who are other possibilities available early 2024? (Before recommending Darren Criss, please be advised I know someone at the NSA who could find out who you are.)
"

Well, I just listening to a boot of POTO Trieste and Ramin's voice is better than ever. FG didn't do him any favors vocally, but he's found his mojo again. He would be a great Anatoly.

JustAnotherNewYorker
#13CHESS Champions?
Posted: 7/8/23 at 11:54pm

Just give me the cast of the Chess concert from the Entertainment Community Fund (Actor's Fund) from December

NoItAll
#14CHESS Champions?
Posted: 7/9/23 at 12:55am

Penna2 said: "NoItAll said: "mshalo18 said: "OuttaTowner said: "Thinking Skyler Astin might make a good Freddie. Unfortunately, he’s tied up with is tv commitments."

"

I know very little about male Broadway singers, so I had to look up Gish on YouTube. Nice voice, better than the current Ramin, anyway.So who are other possibilities available early 2024? (Before recommending Darren Criss, please be advised I know someone at the NSA who could find out who you are.)
"

Well, I just listening to a boot of POTO Trieste and Ramin's voice is better than ever. FG didn't do him any favors vocally, but he's found his mojo again. He would be a great Anatoly.
"

MOTN (@32:20) in the Trieste boot doesn’t compare with the Royal Albert Hall performance. He resorts to all sorts of tricks to hide obvious vocal flaws and the interpretive passion is much weaker.

NoItAll
#15CHESS Champions?
Posted: 7/9/23 at 1:28am

JustAnotherNewYorker said: "Just give me the cast of the Chess concert from the Entertainment Community Fund (Actor's Fund) from December"

Glitter in the Air:

Lea (yes, the Gleeks are always like that)

Lena Hall. (Florence in the Chess concert—complete on YouTube—where she gets drowned out by the chorus on Nobody’s Side.)

Both 5/6 years ago, but only Lea is singing to an audience, so the comparison isn’t quite fair, still…

Updated On: 7/9/23 at 01:28 AM

OuttaTowner
#16CHESS Champions?
Posted: 7/9/23 at 3:26am

FWIW…Lena Hall is starring in the new musical, In Dreams (that interpolates the music of Roy Orbison) and Criss has been attached to the new Florence Welch Gatsby musical that’ll play A.C.T. next summer.  So neither will likely have any ties to the Chess revival. 

OuttaTowner
#17CHESS Champions?
Posted: 7/9/23 at 11:18am

Steven Pasquale would be great…but that name won’t sell many tickets outside of this board. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#18CHESS Champions?
Posted: 7/9/23 at 11:29am

Just the mere thought of Lea Michele singing "Nobody's Side" gives me goosebumps.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#19CHESS Champions?
Posted: 7/9/23 at 11:47am

mshalo18 said: "OuttaTowner said: "Thinking Skyler Astin might make a good Freddie. Unfortunately, he’s tied up with is tv commitments."

"

Cast him in EVERYTHING!!! Give me any reason to stare at hi- errrrrr, enjoy his incredible talent!

eugenia2
#20CHESS Champions?
Posted: 7/9/23 at 1:38pm

If wishes were fishes, I'd love to see Groban and Pascal again. As an aside, imho, they need to drop the History of Chess and add a song to bridge the love story of Florence & Anatoly.  

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#21CHESS Champions?
Posted: 7/9/23 at 6:37pm

Penna2 said: "OuttaTowner said: "Most of us have heard Lea is onboard as Florence

"

I'm hoping Ramin for Anatoly - capitalize on his and Lea's FG chemistry. He recently did the concert and did a production in D.C. and another in Japan. There was some talk ater the concert that he repeat the role when it comes to Broadway.
"

True, it seems though as he's been playing the role Anatoly for many productions being concert-stage so is he destined to play it finally on Broadway and be paired again with Lea Michele? If not, I'm hearing John Riddle is superb as Anatoly in a very good production at the MUNY. 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 7/9/23 at 06:37 PM

Penna2
#22CHESS Champions?
Posted: 7/9/23 at 8:33pm

Robbie2 said: "Penna2 said: "OuttaTowner said: "Most of us have heard Lea is onboard as Florence

"

"

True, it seems though as he's been playing the role Anatoly for many productions being concert-stage so is he destined to play it finally on Broadway and be paired again with Lea Michele? If not, I'm hearing John Riddle is superb as Anatoly in a very good production at the MUNY.
"

On one of his "The Hang" podcasts, I think it was the one with Will Swenson and Andrew Kobar, but can't be certain, they were talking/teasing about Chess in the abstract. It's kind of a rule on the show that upcoming roles in shows that aren't confirmed, especially if any of them is currently in a show, aren't discussed. Doesn't mean he has been cast, but doesn't mean he hasn't. One thing I know he mentioned was he wanted September to be left open after FG closes. He has POTO in Milan in October and MonteCarlo over Christmas/New Year. There is another gig in March. Sounds like he'd be available. My feeling is he's more likely to be Anatoly than not. And, yes, would like to see him in the full production on Broadway, especially with Lea as Florence. A no-brainer, but I've been told I'm brainless about some things, so who knows.

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#23CHESS Champions?
Posted: 7/10/23 at 11:04am

I'd really love John Riddle to transfer. Can take or leave Jarrod Spector.

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

OuttaTowner
#24CHESS Champions?
Posted: 7/10/23 at 12:59pm

Though I hear John is wonderful at the MUNY, I suspect producers will be shooting for a much bigger, bankable name. John could be called upon to understudy Anatoly. 

NoItAll
#25CHESS Champions?
Posted: 7/10/23 at 5:04pm

Drop the name and grab the talent.

Lea would be name enough. Impress the critics, wow the first audiences, and it’s job done. I’d get a guy who could harmonize with Florence like this, i.e., better than vintage 2023 Ramin. For the Anatoly, I’d search first for a handsome, operatically-trained Ukrainian bari-tenor. Broadway would fall for a new face with a glorious voice.